Brianna Denison 19yo Reno NV #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just teasing .

Did you see as many people taking pics last night as you did at the Friday night vigil?

IIRC, our state drew up laws to protect OUR people from being subjected to those people after they appeared here once. They are the scum of the earth, if you ask me. It is a man who is insane turning his family into a bunch of brainwashed crazies...under the guise of religion. Very sad.

Knowing the police response to the first two attacks in this case were not followed through with the same tenacity as Brianna's case isn't Monday Morning Quarterbacking nor undeducated, . I respect you have family on the force, but at the same time...people are not stupid because they see a definite problem with the way the first two cases were handled and I resent the implication.

, frankly I am surprised at your post this morning. WS is full of threads regarding police screw ups. Any LE officer that's been on the force for a bit will tell you, if they can admit it to themselves that is, that they get fed-up and burnt out and it does affect their performance. They become very jaded.

Hindsight is 20/20. I have to wonder if the vics and their families agree with that.

My friend in Calif. sent me something truly frightening. locking our doors is not enough anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRtSikCqWIg

I wish everyone in Reno could see this.

Holy cow! This is EXACTLY why I have four dogs. I cannot imagine any fool out there willing to take on four dogs when the next door neighbors only have two cats and more to steal. :D

Seriously, my dogs give me great peace of mind. They hear the leaves fall off the trees the wrong way.

No armchair quarterback has ever won a real football game, and the real game is all that counts.

I have said to more than one person in my office, if all I want is someone who can criticize and second guess the actions of others in retrospect I can get someone to do that off the street for minimum wage. The criticism may be valid and the hindsight might be accurate, there's just no value there so I don't have any use for it.

I know (Mayor) Cashell, in the sense that his grandkids and my daughter attended the same elementary school so we would say hello to each other at school functions, and he's a totally decent fellow. My BIL is a uniformed LE officer here in Reno (who was part of the team in the field where Brianna was found). The critical comments I read all seem to be based on the assumption that the political and LE organizations don't care about this crime, and I know that's not the case. So I just ignore those uneducated rants.

The police have to work within certain parameters. If the first rape this filth committed was his first offense ever, there would have been no DNA on file even if the entire backlog had been processed already. The police must operate within the law to catch a criminal operating outside the law. It's a difficult task, when done correctly nobody notices but if there's a perception you made a mistake everyone's a critic. They have my admiration.

The money to process the DNA samples was supposed to be paid by the very individuals that made the testing necessary in the first place - convicted sex offenders. How did they escape punishment for not paying what they were ordered to? I'm sure it was a mistake in the way the law was implemented. On the other hand, I can just see the sob stories that would hit the paper about some poor misunderstood flasher who was forced back to prison after his release for failing to pay for his forced DNA testing, just like I see the sob storeis about the poor 3 strikes criminal who was sent to prison for stealing a piece of pizza. Can't have it both ways - if you want to reduce crime, you've got to punish criminals.

Ultimately, as always, the citizens of Reno paid for it. I look at it this way: to raise the $150,000 needed by public donation cost the public $150,000. To do it via that tax system would have cost considerably more due to governmental inefficiency. It's our money either way - unless you're one of those people that does not understand that things are not free because the government pays for them.

thank you so much for a great reply. I get it. My uncle retired badge #1 after 38 years on the force. He's taught me a lot about law enforcement, and the laws inside the laws. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't sometimes. I can also see the upset within the community. Why did it BD to get everyone's attention? With so much fear, anger, and grief, it's a really tough situation. I hope the LE communicates with the public as much as possible. The not-knowing can also cause great upset. My prayers of safety to your BIL and his peers.
:blowkiss:

thank you so much for a great reply. I get it. My uncle retired badge #1 after 38 years on the force. He's taught me a lot about law enforcement, and the laws inside the laws. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't sometimes.

Isn't that the truth!

I recommend the door jams, Suzi. They fit underneath the handle and then a bar extends to the floor with a rubber stop on it. You can get them at Target. Everyone in my family uses them for added security. If they try to kick the door in by the lock...they will get a rude awakening, too. LOL

Knowing the police response to the first two attacks in this case were not followed through with the same tenacity as Brianna's case isn't Monday Morning Quarterbacking nor undeducated, . I respect you have family on the force, but at the same time...people are not stupid because they see a definite problem with the way the first two cases were handled and I resent the implication.

Well said SS. I find it very unfair that those of us who refuse to turn a blind eye (out of respect to the local LE) to the mistakes that are now drawing national attention. Are subjected here to insults and ridicule.

:mad:

I recommend the door jams, Suzi. They fit underneath the handle and then a bar extends to the floor with a rubber stop on it. You can get them at Target. Everyone in my family uses them for added security. If they try to kick the door in by the lock...they will get a rude awakening, too. LOL

These might be good when you are at home but I have teenagers who do not even remember to turn off their hair striaghtener. When I'm not there I couldn't be sure they would keep these in place even with all the warning and preaching to them.
I'm calling a locksmith to have the safe door locks installed in my house.

>
Truth be told, we really don't know what sort of investigation was being conducted on those cases. Just because a case isn't in the media spotlight, or LE doesn't initially suspect a connection between them, doesn't mean it's not being investigated. I think means uneducated about the investigation, not in general. And realistically, since none of us are detectives assigned to the case, we really don't, and won't, know all the details. LE isn't perfect, we know this. More often than not however, they coduct thier investigation properly. Criticizing them, without being in thier shoes, is the definition of Monday morning QBing.

I like the locks we have on our backdoors at the office. They are welded U-shaped heavy metal brackets on either side of the doors with two 2 x 4s bolted together with a steel rod going down between them. They slide easily in place and out, but won't budge otherwise. One towards the top and one a bit lower than the door handle. With the steel doors...you simply can't beat 'em! That is guaranteed security! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77