Brianna Denison 19yo Reno NV #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it wasn't for the two stated shows, nobody outside of Reno would even know. Can you tell me, or point to an article where LE in the area was working hardcore on the previous cases as they were Brianna's? I have seen very small articlestelling about what happened in the past assaults, but it was said and gone.
I don't live in Nevada and I heard about the case, Rick. I found it on the net in the Reno Gazette Journal. I rarely watch NG or Greta because I learned long ago the information on those shows isn't always correct.

I never said those shows are correct, I said they are the ones that put the cases in the NATIONAL SPOTLIGHT. I really doubt that people read the Reno newspaper daily to see whats new in Reno, UNLESS YOU LIVE IN RENO.

As far as whether or not students at UNR were alerted to a perp before brianna went missing....were they? I'm not finding anything, or anyone that has said differently.

We have a right to question LE. WE PAY THEM to do thier job! We also have a right to say when they are doing a great job. Reno is not Los Angeles......and thats why it's worrisome that nobody has been caught yet.

That's something that has been with us always, and won't be going away. I've found the "ignore" feature works quite well in dealing with persistent cases.
Testing, testing... ;)

I think maybe more of the onus needs to be put on the media itself. Journalists can get more information out of LE and politicians and other sources depending on the tactics they use, the questions they ask and how trustworthy they appear to be. The RGJ has been doing a decent job as far as updating us on the Brianna story everyday, but are they really digging deeper? Maybe there is more that LE is willing to release, but the reporters aren't asking the right questions. This doesn't mean I'm siding with LE - I'm just trying to present another aspect in terms of what information is being made available. In terms of believing everything we read, I think the only thing we can really do is read as many different sources of news as we can, because no one source is going to provide all the right or relevant information.

Rolex, I appreciate what you are trying to say. Even though you have local contact with the local DA, does not mean you have the entire story either. All due respect, you only know what they want you to. And I would be very concerned about the handling of this case if you knew more than that. The way they handled your ring shows me that they know how to be hypervigilant when need to be. Whether intentionally or not LE wasn't until Brianna. It's nice if LE was doing alot behind the scenes, but the gripe is several more women became vics because there was never a public warning given.[/QUOTE]

Several more women became vics because of the rapist!...Not because of LE. Put the blame where the blame belongs SuziQ.

Rolex, If there was a public warning given then women could have been more aware of their surroundings, etc. Public safety is LE's responsibility. We can't read their minds. They have all the info and reports that come in. It's their responsibility to let the public know if there is a danger out there.

ETA: I would trust the info from RJC and other "professionial" media sources more than I would second and third hand and info. I've seen too many times what the rumor game does.

Just some of my observations.

There are various reasons people are on these boards.

Some just find it as a pasttime, some to feel engaged in life, some to feel important, some to share/learn information about crime investigation, some to discuss a particular case, some to just be heard, some to speculate, most a combination of the previous.

I hate to see the bashers here too. There are just people like that in this world. It is a part of the mix in a public forum. It is frustrating.

Just some of my observations.

There are various reasons people are on these boards.

Some just find it as a pasttime, some to feel engaged in life, some to feel important, some to share/learn information about crime investigation, some to discuss a particular case, some to just be heard, some to speculate, most a combination of the previous.

I hate to see the bashers here too. There are just people like that in this world. It is a part of the mix in a public forum. It is frustrating.

Questioning is not bashing. Just saying......

I have a friend who is a morning news anchor. In preparation for the morning newscast, he or someone on the staff calls each police station in the region to get information on the overnight cases. If they feel it is news worthy on that particular day, they report it. It they see a crime pattern, they put together a news story to highlight it. Why? It gets viewers attention.

I see this type of "public warning" much more than official police public warnings. I am not sure if , without hindsight, it is reasonable to expect LE to have issued a public warning based on the previously known information.

We have had an "elevated risk", that's orange I think, of terror threat for quite sometime. I do not think that public warning has added anything to the news reports we get of attacks, attempted attacks, and thwarted attacks. We know that living in this time in this country, we are at risk. Being a female on a college campus, you are at risk.

Do you guys actually live here and go to UNR? How do you know the other co-ed's were not warned by the UNR campus police? Have you read the campus paper? Seen any flyers around campus? Heard any gossip around town or campus? anything?.......

Why would you think that everyone here on Websleuths has to live in Reno to be aware of what is going on? Or to care? We read newspapers. We watch some of the best news shows on TV, night after night. We stay up to date.

We question everything here and always have. Sometimes, believe it or not, the police do a better job when citizens like us put the heat on.

"Not Questioning" the status quo is sort of a bad way to run society, in my opinion. Alot of cases here would be null and void and never solved if people like us didn't take time to care and to talk about them over months and years.

Rolex said:
...It does bother me that some are so critical without knowing the facts.

That's something that has been with us always, and won't be going away. I've found the "ignore" feature works quite well in dealing with persistent cases.
Then who will you have to talk to, ? :boohoo:

and Rolex: We are allowed to be critical and to think critically, last time I checked the rules.

Why would you think that everyone here on Websleuths has to live in Reno to be aware of what is going on? Or to care? We read newspapers. We watch some of the best news shows on TV, night after night. We stay up to date.

We question everything here and always have. Sometimes, believe it or not, the police do a better job when citizens like us put the heat on.

"Not Questioning" the status quo is sort of a bad way to run society, in my opinion. Alot of cases here would be null and void and never solved if people like us didn't take time to care and to talk about them over months and years.

Then who will you have to talk to, ? :boohoo:

and Rolex: We are allowed to be critical and to think critically, last time I checked the rules.

Fox, I am not saying that you are not "allowed" to be critical.

By the same token, I am "allowed" to be critical of comments I disagree with.

Do you agree?

Fox, I am not saying that you are not "allowed" to be critical.

By the same token, I am "allowed" to be critical of comments I disagree with.

Do you agree?

I absolutely agree, BUT it doesn't seem to go both ways when people can't take it, and want to use the ignore button cuz thier feelings get hurt.

I absolutely agree, BUT it doesn't seem to go both ways when people can't take it, and want to use the ignore button cuz thier feelings get hurt.

I have not used the ignore button here. I have on other public forums where it is obvious posters are spamming, constantly off topic, or their comments are beyond that of decency.

I agree than one should expect to receive the same level of intensity as they protrude. However, abusive language or attacks should not be tolorated.

I have not used the ignore button here. I have on other public forums where it is obvious posters are spamming, constantly off topic, or their comments are beyond that of decency.

I agree than one should expect to receive the same level of intensity as they protrude. However, abusive language or attacks should not be tolorated.

I agree.

From a chronological approach, it is time for another attack by the perp.

What are your thoughts on the reason we have not heard of another related attack?

A few possibilities:

1) He is "staying under the radar"
2) He has not found the opportunity
3) He is acting out in a lesser form (abusive to wife/gf, using prostitutes)
4) He has attacked again but not reported/found
5) He has left the region
6) He is dead

I feel like he will assualt again when he thinks he has lost the attention of most. I never thought about him being dead. I think he will try and stay in the general region so he gets credit for his "work"...although...imagine a rape/kill in a place like...say...New York...where the victim is found with Brianna's Bear next to her. That would broaden EVERYTHING.

ThoughtFox I never said that at all, it is great everyone cares, it would be a terrible society if people did not care. What I am saying is just because you don't see it on the evening news or on Nancy Grace or Greta, does not mean nothing is being done And of course locals will hear more than it you were across the country. Not everything is on the internet or TV. This is exactly one of the reasons I stopped coming here in 2003, because everytime I said something I got misquoted, mis-interpeted, misunderstood.

ThoughtFox I never said that at all, it is great everyone cares, it would be a terrible society if people did not care. What I am saying is just because you don't see it on the evening news or on Nancy Grace or Greta, does not mean nothing is being done And of course locals will hear more than it you were across the country. Not everything is on the internet or TV. This is exactly one of the reasons I stopped coming here in 2003, because everytime I said something I got misquoted, mis-interpeted, misunderstood.

well, please don't leave again Rolex!.....i'm very interested in what folks have to say, there in Reno....getting the real scoop & all....ignore misquotes, please!:)

From a chronological approach, it is time for another attack by the perp.

What are your thoughts on the reason we have not heard of another related attack?

A few possibilities:

1) He is "staying under the radar"
2) He has not found the opportunity
3) He is acting out in a lesser form (abusive to wife/gf, using prostitutes)
4) He has attacked again but not reported/found
5) He has left the region
6) He is dead

i kind of figured there'd be another attack in Feb, but i think he's "staying under the radar" right now....

You are right -
The following is NOT written by me, it is circulating at UNR -
I am posting this to make the point that we should stop blaming the police

This is painful, but necessary.

Quit looking to UNR Police, or the Reno Police for your safety. They can’t do it, they can’t be there 24/7. It is YOUR responsibility to protect you, not theirs. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think they can protect you unless the crime is happening right in front of them!

Read these decisions and you’ll understand why the police are NOT going to protect you or your loved ones. They are NOT charged with that responsibility, YOU ARE.

They are “Peace Officers”, and as such, are charged with the overall keeping of the peace, security of property, and order of society.

You MUST learn to protect yourself, quit being a VICTIM. If you are a victim, legally speaking, it is your fault- period. Quit being stupid!

You MUST stop thinking that a cop is just around the corner to rush in and ‘save you’ in the event that a criminal is about to strike. 9-1-1 is useless if you are about to be killed.

Frankly, the cops are there to record your killer’s actions, and ‘try’ to catch the killer due to their job in keeping the public peace. Sadly, they will tell you off the record that they are a “societal garbage man”, if you will.

The following references are case law backing up what I have written.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U. S. 748 (2005) (the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that local law-enforcement had no duty to protect individuals, but only a general duty to enforce the laws.);

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/....supremecourtus.gov/opinions/04pdf/04-278.pdf

DESHANEY v. WINNEBAGO CTY. SOC. SERVS. DEPT., 489 U.S. 189 (1989)
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=489&invol=189

South v. Maryland
http://members.tripod.com/~mdean/immunity.html

Bowers v. Devito, 686 F.2d 616 (7th Cir. 1982)

Warren v. District of Columbia (444 A.2d 1, 1981)

Hartzler v. City of San Jose, 46 Cal.App.3d 6, 120 Cal.Rptr. 5 (1975)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member