Identified! MO - Callaway Co., female body found, Apr'08 - Melissa Corn

iNTERESTEDWOMAN

I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oi
Reaction score
Being an avid Morel mushroom hunter myself, I have always had a fear of stumbling upon a corps while out in the woods. Sounds morbid I know, but I have found hundreds of dead animals, (Possium, racoons, turkey, etc.) and sometimes your mind gets carried away looking for those elusive little buggers.

It appears that an abandond car of a missing woman was found months ago near the location of the body. She has not been ruled out as the victum.

http://showmenews.com/2008/Apr/20080421News001.asp
A reserve Callaway County sheriff’s deputy looking for mushrooms yesterday afternoon near the Missouri River access at Mokane found the remains of a woman, authorities say.

The deputy found the woman’s body at about 3:50 p.m. yesterday near the river access point along County Road 479 in southern Callaway County.

The road was closed to traffic today, and river access was suspended until the crime scene could be investigated, Callaway County sheriff’s deputies said. An autopsy was being conducted this morning at the Boone/Callaway County Medical Examiner’s Office, death investigator Dori Burke said....snip

also

The site where the body was discovered is about two miles from where an abandoned car belonging to Jasmine Haslag, 31, of Russellville was found about 10 months ago. Haslag was last seen June 18, 2007, as she was traveling to Bland in Osage County to pick up her three children. Her abandoned car was found a day later in a field off of Route PP in Callaway County...snip

More at link

If they have fingerprints, then she has not been dead for very long. Interesting that this is the same location of the missing car of the other woman. Maybe they should do a very thorough of the area.

Salem

Wow, that's a big difference in height. Seems odd they could get fingerprints, but the weight and height vary so much. :waitasec:
My guess is that LE doesn't wan't to say a specific age, height or weight because if they provide speific height/weight about the UID, and it doesn't match up with what someone else believes to be the height or weight of someone they know to be missing, they might not come forward.

Name:Megan Nicole Shultz
Classification:Endangered Missing Adult
Alias / Nickname:Megan Comfort
Date of Birth:1982-08-01
Date Missing:2006-08-04
From City/State:Columbia, MO
Missing From (Country):USA
Age at Time of Disappearance:24
Race:White
Height:69 inches
Weight:120 pounds
Hair Color:Brown
Eye Color:Brown
Complexion:Light
Identifying Characteristics:Tattoo of a "butterfly" on right shoulder blade, tattoo of a "music symbol" on left shoulder blade, tattoo of a "Chinese symbol" on lower back, three piercings in each ear, pierced right nostril, previously fractured lower left leg.
Clothing:Pink tank top, white capri pants, flip-flops.
Circumstances of Disappearance:Unknown. Megan was last seen at her residence in the vicinity of Amelia and Old Highway 63 in Columbia, MO at approximately 1:00am. She left the residence on foot and never returned. Megan suffers from a medical condition and needs medication.
Investigative Agency:Columbia Police Department
Phone:(573) 874-7624
Investigative Case #:2006009538
NCIC #:M-945934824

Additional Photo_____________

A200604811S_5041.jpg

She wen't mising August of 2006, and the article says the UID's fingerprints are available, so it's a bit of a long shot. Thought I would mention it just in case though.

My guess is that LE doesn't wan't to say a specific age, height or weight because if they provide speific height/weight about the UID, and it doesn't match up with what someone else believes to be the height or weight of someone they know to be missing, they might not come forward.

That doesn't make any sense! If someone is missing, how can anyone find them with an inaccurate description? How many times have you looked on the missing persons boards and ruled someone out because of height or weight? I don't understand how an accurate description of a possibly missing person could compromise an investigation into how they died...:confused: :confused: :confused:

The truth on 'Jane Doe" is really unknown actually. There are many questionable things in this situation, oddities, and things are pretty much still in the dark about most of it, despite anything put in print and stated per anyone in this finding. It is a waiting game and everyone just has to play it, no choice but to. We will place any updates we are allowed to on Missouri Missing as we go along in this, www.missourimissing.org

As for physical details of a missing person, we have come to the determination that it is imperative that families of all missing persons need to be specific in recording all physical details about their loved one, and do so in a database that is immediately accessible by LE. Right down to the most minuscule thing. We have already worked on cases where important information about the missing person was undisclosed/or undocumented and therefore unknown to authorities, information that would have changed the course of action in attempting to search for a person. Such as with the Spoon case. She disappeared three years ago and there has always been a good suspicion as to where her body was dumped, but it is a very difficult area to search. It was just a few months ago when Missouri Missing began working the case closely with family and then authorities, that everyone involved realized that the LE was not aware of a metal appliance surgically placed in her arm. I will note that this did not stem from family not providing that information, but by failure of documentation of that information. It was stated that if that information had been known, a search could have been done with metal detectors. Recovery success three years ago would have yielded a prosecution of the suspect and justice for the family. We will find Spoon, we believe that wholeheartedly, but now there can be no justice closure for anyone.

When documenting a missing loved ones physical characteristics, things like this should not be overlooked, surgical implants, broken and mended bones, etc. We are currently building a new database input on the organization where families of missing persons can submit physical characteristics of the loved one, especially such obscure ones that may exist. LE will have full access to this database to easily find matching characteristics, because anyone who matches any characteristic, height, weight, broken bones, scars, etc., is a lead when it comes to a John or Jane Doe. When you have little direction to go on, any direction is important. We want a database of information so that it is not a question of if someone will come forward, but it will just be there for the LE to pursue. They will not have to advertise the info in hopes of someone coming forward, but research it themselves and pull any matches to anything. We are currently working with LE on these things.

I was wondering if this could be Kara Kopetsky. The age would be off, but I generally give or take a few years when matching UID's with missing persons. Does anyone know how close this would be to Belton, MO?

Kara has been missing for slightly less than one year, now (05/04/2007). While fingerprints would probably not be possible after that amount of time, there are stories out there suggesting that Kara was alive and well weeks/months after her disappearance.

MMO,
I LOVE the idea of the database you are working on for characteristics of missing persons. I think that would be something that would be a huge help nationwide.

The report also indicated the woman suffered from long-term immobilization - and possibly used a wheelchair - but there also is evidence she had been able to walk.

:waitasec:

As horrible as it sounds, would it be possible that relatives of the woman had killed her so they wouldn't have to take care of her anymore; or with the intent of collecting her SSD check if she was receiving one?

This type of case just breaks your heart!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back