Nanny Saves Toddler Attacked By Coyote

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
A quick thinking nanny saved a two year old girl of Chino Hills, California from the jaws of a coyote. The toddler was playing in a sandbox and the coyote grabbed her trying to carry her off. The nanny had a tug-of-war with the coyote and saved the child. The little girl was treated for puncture wounds. I saw this on the morning news and a woman who was present said this coyote didn't budge even after the nanny freed the child. They were yelling and stomping and nada. The nanny was close by and made eye contact with this lady when a coyote crossed their path. She immediately turned to the sandbox and there was the coyote scooping up this baby.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354054,00.html

I'm so glad the nanny was watching the little girl and close by to save her life. We have coyotes here too. We can hear them in the woods across the lake at night. What an eirie noise they make! I keep a watchful eye on my small terriers when they're in the yard.

I'm so glad the nanny was watching the little girl and close by to save her life. We have coyotes here too. We can hear them in the woods across the lake at night. What an eirie noise they make! I keep a watchful eye on my small terriers when they're in the yard.
HI Kahskye. I beg to differ with you there. The little girl was in the sand box and the nanny didn't even know there was a coyote nearby until the baby screamed. I think the whole thing could have been avoided if the nanny had been actually watching the child. Can you imagine an animal being able to get that close to your child without you noticing?!
In the initial story here on Friday, the coyote took off right away after trying to snatch the baby. The coyote was scared off by the screams of the baby and the nanny. So, imo this coyote probably never would have come near the child if there had been an adult nearby.
JMHO of course. I am glad she acted quickly but still think it was careless.

A quick thinking nanny saved a two year old girl of Chino Hills, California from the jaws of a coyote. The toddler was playing in a sandbox and the coyote grabbed her trying to carry her off. The nanny had a tug-of-war with the coyote and saved the child. The little girl was treated for puncture wounds. I saw this on the morning news and a woman who was present said this coyote didn't budge even after the nanny freed the child. They were yelling and stomping and nada. The nanny was close by and made eye contact with this lady when a coyote crossed their path. She immediately turned to the sandbox and there was the coyote scooping up this baby.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354054,00.html

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

HI Kahskye. I beg to differ with you there. The little girl was in the sand box and the nanny didn't even know there was a coyote nearby until the baby screamed. I think the whole thing could have been avoided if the nanny had been actually watching the child. Can you imagine an animal being able to get that close to your child without you noticing?!
In the initial story here on Friday, the coyote took off right away after trying to snatch the baby. The coyote was scared off by the screams of the baby and the nanny. So, imo this coyote probably never would have come near the child if there had been an adult nearby.

Yeah, you're probably right. I see it all the time at playgrounds where the children are playing and the adults are busier chatting w/ eachother and not really watching them. I don't know how fast the coyote moved in on the toddler. One time camping and I saw a coyote at night standing outside of our camper. It's like one minute he was there, and the next he just vanished. He moved so fast, it was creepy!

Filly's post said they were yelling and stomping after the nanny freed the baby and the coyote STILL didn't budge. So it doesn't seem like it was too scared.
The nanny MAY have been careless...but maybe not...coyotes are probably quick animals...you can look away for just a few seconds and something can happen.

Filly's post said they were yelling and stomping after the nanny freed the baby and the coyote STILL didn't budge. So it doesn't seem like it was too scared.
The nanny MAY have been careless...but maybe not...coyotes are probably quick animals...you can look away for just a few seconds and something can happen.
The funny thing is when this story was first reported locally here on friday it was completely differnt. It has evolved to a much more sensational story. It was originally reported that the coyote took off immediately when they woman and the baby screamed.

Its great to hear a story of a nanny saving a child instead of abusing one.

The woman I saw on the news this morning was the mother of the baby. The other woman interviewed with her was the woman who helped the nanny. That woman said the coyote actually crossed the path between them. The nanny also had a baby in a coach. The Samaritan said she and her kids yelled and stomped, but even after the nanny got the baby the coyote stayed there. They didn't think the baby was injured until they saw it bit through her diaper. I understand JBean's point though as I know I wouldn't have been but inches from the sandbox if it were my child, but I only had one child to handle, and of course I was "overprotective". I don't think the nanny was being negligent. The really frightening thing was someone called the mom at work and said a coyote bit the baby, but didn't say where and she assumed it was her little girls face. That's some frightening stuff right there.

The woman I saw on the news this morning was the mother of the baby. The other woman interviewed with her was the woman who helped the nanny. That woman said the coyote actually crossed the path between them. The nanny also had a baby in a coach. The Samaritan said she and her kids yelled and stomped, but even after the nanny got the baby the coyote stayed there. They didn't think the baby was injured until they saw it bit through her diaper. I understand JBean's point though as I know I wouldn't have been but inches from the sandbox if it were my child, but I only had one child to handle, and of course I was "overprotective". I don't think the nanny was being negligent. The really frightening thing was someone called the mom at work and said a coyote bit the baby, but didn't say where and she assumed it was her little girls face. That's some frightening stuff right there.
Pretty bold coyote; makes me think of a rabid animal. Hope they find it and definitively identify it as rabies negative before the kid has to have rabies vax...

C6

Man that is crazy coyote behavior..especially one alone. I didn't really mean to imply that the nanny was negligent, but I did saound that way.The story did change quite a bit from when it was first reported here locally. Even the baby's age changed from 15 months in the intial reports to 2 years in the subsequent reports. That's a big difference in terms of how much space the baby would get away from the caretaker. Either which way it is a terrible story with a very happy ending :)

Here is one original story from friday:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9136305

CHINO HILLS - A coyote bit a 14-month-old girl in the buttocks as she played in a San Bernardino County park Friday, authorities said.
The little girl was with her nanny at Altura Park in Chino Hills when the caretaker heard the child scream around 10:30 a.m., sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire said.
The nanny saw the coyote with the child in its mouth, grabbed the child and was able to pull her away, Wiltshire said.
The coyote then ran off.

Its great to hear a story of a nanny saving a child instead of abusing one.

No kidding. I used to be a 24 hour caregiver for many kids and considered myself pretty good at showing lots of love... then when I got some "afterschoolers" and they told me the horror stories of the places they were babysat when they were younger... they said my "pretty good" was actually "pretty awesome." I'm positive there are wonderful caregivers out there, but you don't hear about them because nothing bad happens when you do it right.

(Not that there weren't accidents and injuries at my house, but I'm talking about negligent or on purpose ones.)

ANother coyote attacked! Poor little thing.

California 2-Year-Old Dragged From Yard by Coyote in Third Such Attack in Five Days
LAKE ARROWHEAD, Calif. — A coyote grabbed a 2-year-old girl by the head and tried to drag her from the front yard of her mountain home in the third incident of a coyote threatening a small child in Southern California in five days, authorities said.
The coyote attacked the girl around noon Tuesday when her mother, Melissa Rowley, went inside the home for a moment to put away a camera, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in an incident report.
Rowley came out of the house and saw the coyote dragging her daughter towards a street. She ran towards her daughter, and the animal released the girl and ran away, said sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354505,00.html

ANother coyote attacked! Poor little thing.

California 2-Year-Old Dragged From Yard by Coyote in Third Such Attack in Five Days
LAKE ARROWHEAD, Calif. — A coyote grabbed a 2-year-old girl by the head and tried to drag her from the front yard of her mountain home in the third incident of a coyote threatening a small child in Southern California in five days, authorities said.
The coyote attacked the girl around noon Tuesday when her mother, Melissa Rowley, went inside the home for a moment to put away a camera, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department said in an incident report.
Rowley came out of the house and saw the coyote dragging her daughter towards a street. She ran towards her daughter, and the animal released the girl and ran away, said sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354505,00.html

Whoa. Dragged her by the head? Three in five days that's alarming as anything.

Whoa. Dragged her by the head? Three in five days that's alarming as anything.
IT is positively freaky! I take anything back I said about the nanny that was not complimentary. This is crazy behavior!

A coyote that had been stalking a child was euthanized after witnesses had seen the coyote stalking a little child. The female coyote was diseased and infested by mange. The link also tells how in Temecula a nanny found a coyote in the house standing over a child as it slept. The nanny threw household objects at the animal and it fled. Something is so up with the coyote's.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_D_coyoteweb13.22f62e5.html

How bizarre and frightening!! While I understand the problem of building into the wilderness displaces animals, the aggressive behavior of the coyotes sounds very serious. I cannot imagine how scared the children were. I applaud the way the adults fought back. It is a wonder the coyotes didn't turn on them.

How bizarre and frightening!! While I understand the problem of building into the wilderness displaces animals, the aggressive behavior of the coyotes sounds very serious. I cannot imagine how scared the children were. I applaud the way the adults fought back. It is a wonder the coyotes didn't turn on them.

You're right SS. I don't know a thing about coyote's, but after reading how these wildlife guys are scratching their heads it makes a person wonder.

Absolutely I do understand the coyote is an important player in the eco system. I do know us human's just displaced them and how we leave food out in the trash. Some people are even feeding them out by the parks thinking it will keep them away from property, but still it's rare for them to be attacking.

I read it may be they are hurt and are going after slower prey which would be a child. All I know is if I saw a coyote standing over a child I'd want to run the other way. I'd be so afraid. Then of course our natural instinct takes over and I am sure we would help, but sitting here I am thinking "Man, how brave were them adults?" A coyote in the house standing over a child. For the love of Mike I'd be flipping out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back