WA WA - Deanna Platoni, 25, Rainier, 12 Oct 1980

littlehorn

Inactive
Reaction score
A friend wanted me to ask about a murder that happened when he was growing up.

A mother in Ohio, 1970s (earlyish) was killed in her home with her 3-year old son present. It was never solved.

I'm curious if anyone recalls this case or any more details like her name, location, etc.

He didn't have any more information but he was wondering if I could find more so he could re-acquaint himself with the details.

Derek

I live in Ohio and there is something about this case that sounds vaguely familiar but I can't quite remember for sure. I looked around just a little online to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. I'll look a little more in depth later this week when I have more time. Where did your friend grow up in Ohio? Did the murder happen around the general area he grew up in? Thanks.

I live in Ohio and there is something about this case that sounds vaguely familiar but I can't quite remember for sure. I looked around just a little online to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. I'll look a little more in depth later this week when I have more time. Where did your friend grow up in Ohio? Did the murder happen around the general area he grew up in? Thanks.

I'm not sure, and he's not either, he was somewhat of a military brat, single dad, and they moved around a lot. His dad has since passed away. He remembers this happening when he was 5 or 6 near their house at the time. I wish I had more info but if you can find anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

littlehorn,

Does this have anything to do with the other case you are working on here in cold cases? Just wondering because of the military connection.

Thanks.

It doesn't sound familiar to me either. If it was the Cleveland area the papers would have been the Plain Dealer, or The Cleveland Press. (not sure about the last one, but I think that's right).

It doesn't sound familiar to me either. If it was the Cleveland area the papers would have been the Plain Dealer, or The Cleveland Press. (not sure about the last one, but I think that's right).

Talisman -- no, oddly enough, there is a military connection in this, but it's not related to the other case. My friend is not very internet-savvy but he's interested in this case and he heard from me what I was doing on the other case.

I have a name: Deanna Platoni, died either late September or early October 1980, she was 25 years old. Not sure where she died but it was within a car ride from PA. She had a 3-year old son, Angelo, and a husband, Angelo also.

Does that help anyone with remembering? :)

Talisman -- no, oddly enough, there is a military connection in this, but it's not related to the other case. My friend is not very internet-savvy but he's interested in this case and he heard from me what I was doing on the other case.

I have a name: Deanna Platoni, died either late September or early October 1980, she was 25 years old. Not sure where she died but it was within a car ride from PA. She had a 3-year old son, Angelo, and a husband, Angelo also.

Does that help anyone with remembering? :)

Wow..I could find next to nothing on this. The only thing I found was from a website of the McKenzie Road Baptist Church where Deanna's husband, Angelo, donated a piano in her memory in September, 1980. The church was in Olympia, Washington. Maybe she was originally from Ohio and lived in Washington at the time of her death. It said that she was a faithful member of the church.

In the newspaper archives I could only her mother's obituary when she died in 2002 and it mentioned Deanna's name. I didn't buy the article to see if there was anything else said about Deanna.

I'll try looking further in the archives of papers from Ohio and the State of Washington later on.

Wow..I could find next to nothing on this. The only thing I found was from a website of the McKenzie Road Baptist Church where Deanna's husband, Angelo, donated a piano in her memory in September, 1980. The church was in Olympia, Washington. Maybe she was originally from Ohio and lived in Washington at the time of her death. It said that she was a faithful member of the church.

In the newspaper archives I could only her mother's obituary when she died in 2002 and it mentioned Deanna's name. I didn't buy the article to see if there was anything else said about Deanna.

I'll try looking further in the archives of papers from Ohio and the State of Washington later on.

Thanks MaryBeth! I know she was from Pennsylvania from her SSN prefix; also she is buried in Millheim, PA, between her mother and some other relatives.

The SSN death index is decidedly sketchy about where she died and even when; it only lists a month and year, no date, and there is no record of last residence.

Hi,

Looking for information about the murder of Deanna Platoni in Washington State, Rainier or Tenino County, on 10/14/1980. Can't seem to find anything about who did it or about whether they caught him.

Thanks,

Derek

I looked in the newspaperarchives.com and couldn't find anything. I checked papers for the State of Washington and Pennsylvania. There were very few papers on there from Washington and they only went up to 1977. But I couldn't find anything in the PA papers either. The only thing I could find was the obit for Deanna's mom in 2002, but like I said on the other thread, you have to buy the article. I even looked under Angelo Platoni in the archives and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it's in some WA newspaper from 1980 but I don't think anything is online for that year. Sorry!

I looked in the newspaperarchives.com and couldn't find anything. I checked papers for the State of Washington and Pennsylvania. There were very few papers on there from Washington and they only went up to 1977. But I couldn't find anything in the PA papers either. The only thing I could find was the obit for Deanna's mom in 2002, but like I said on the other thread, you have to buy the article. I even looked under Angelo Platoni in the archives and couldn't find anything. I'm sure it's in some WA newspaper from 1980 but I don't think anything is online for that year. Sorry!

Thanks for checking. I checked also and I came up with the same results. I even called out to the county sheriff near where she was murdered and he had no recollection. I suppose it was solved and considered closed so they just moved on with things.

Derek

...she is buried in Millheim, PA, between her mother and some other relatives.

The SSN death index is decidedly sketchy about where she died and even when; it only lists a month and year, no date, and there is no record of last residence.

Here is exactly what the Social Securtiy Death index lists for her:

Name DEANNA PLATONI
Birth 19 Nov 1954
Death Oct 1980
Last Residence (not specified)
Last Benefit (none specified)
SSN 207-44-0144
Issuedby the state of Pennsylvania

Platoni was obviously her married name, as she is the only person by that name with a Pennsylvania SSN. It would appear from the other 36 Platoni listings in the SSDI that her husband's family was from New York, New Jersey, or possibly from Massachussetts.

The SSDI has death listings going back only as early as about 1952, and those early entries were only for persons who were receiving Some sort of Social Security benefit, or whose family started receiving benefits based on the deceased's Social Security contributions.

Later, anyone with a SSN would be entered, but it is only in the past ten years or so that all of the data entry lines have been completed on a more accurate basis. Prior to the mid 1990's only month and year of death were listed. Now the complete death date is put into the index.

Since you know the name of the cemetery, try contacting them for more information. They might even have a copy of the death certificate in their files. They can also tell you what church and funeral home was involved, and you might also contact them. The Cemetery can tell you who owns any remaining burial spaces in their family plot.

Thanks for checking. I checked also and I came up with the same results. I even called out to the county sheriff near where she was murdered and he had no recollection. I suppose it was solved and considered closed so they just moved on with things.

Derek

If it was considered a murder, then the County Coroner would have had to make a public record report. Also, a death certificate stating cause of death would be available through State Vital Records.

Found this on my Ancestry site:
It's a start for a bit more sleuthing...

"Deanna Plantoni was found murdered in Washington State between Rainia and Tanino. She is buried in Milheim Pennsylvania at Fairview cemetery beside her grandfather Merlin Shivley. She was born on November 19 1954 and was married to Angelo F Platoni II at the time of her death.

She also had a son Angelo F. Platoni III who may have been in the house aged 3 or 4 at the time of her murder and was found wandering outside before police came to investigate. This case is considered by many to be closed and the killer was apparently found.

Her mother was Nancy Lee Carlton who died in 2002 in Virginia. In 1953 she was married to Dean Alan Brungart who was as of 2008 living in Pennsylvania. Deanna has an older sister living in Virginia born on January 10 1953. She also has a brother living in Virginia named Richard Shivley.

Deanna was my best friend and we spent a lot of time together before I moved back to California in early 1979. Her husband, Angelo was in the military at the time and they had a son that was a year younger than my twin daughters. We attended the same church in Yelm. She was murdered by a young man who was a member of a family at the church. It was believed that he was looking for drug money and when Deanna wouldn't give it to him he stabbed her to death. He then took her 3 year old son and left him in the woods alone. Her husband remarried several years later and still lives in the area as does her son. The killer was caught and prosecuted. Deanna was one of the kindest, most loving women I ever knew and to this day it breaks my heart to think of her murder. I post this here in her memory.

"kilgorechi, post: 14528421, member: 233374" Deanna was my best friend and we spent a lot of time together before I moved back to California in early 1979. Her husband, Angelo was in the military at the time and they had a son that was a year younger than my twin daughters. We attended the same church in Yelm. She was murdered by a young man who was a member of a family at the church. It was believed that he was looking for drug money and when Deanna wouldn't give it to him he stabbed her to death. He then took her 3 year old son and left him in the woods alone. Her husband remarried several years later and still lives in the area as does her son. The killer was caught and prosecuted. Deanna was one of the kindest, most loving women I ever knew and to this day it breaks my heart to think of her murder. I post this here in her memory.

I read your post about Deanna Platoni. Angelo Platoni was my brother's best friend. This was in the 1970's in Silverton, Toms River, NJ. Angelo's father was very strict and was a fireman in northern NJ. Ang had 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I believe both girls had cerebral palsy or a condition like that. Ang would have to babysit the girls and he would almost always bring the older of the two girls with him to our house. She was a pretty little girl. My brother, Bobby Patton, flew out to visit Ang and Deanna. When he got there, Mount St. Helen exploded and Ang and Deanna had to take my brother to a hospital as he was having an acute asthma attack. My brother adored Deanna. She was so nice to him.

When we got the news about Deanna being murdered, we were devastated. We were glad when her killer was caught.

I remember Ang bringing his son to NJ to visit his family. His son was so adorable.

A funny thing I just remembered was my brother, Ang, and a relative tried to start a band in our garage. They were horrible!

I don't know why I did a search for Angelo today and found this forum. I am glad I did and found your post.

I wrote about Ang because he was a good friend to my brother and me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back