GUILTY TX - Tanner Monk, 7, mauled to death by pit bulls, Breckenridge, 18 May 2008

pixies

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356610,00.html

ABILENE, Texas — A 7-year-old boy died after he was apparently attacked by two pit bulls along a road, and deputies summoned to the scene had to shoot the dogs before they could reach him, authorities said.

Second attack in Texas in about a week.
How many children do these animals have to kill before they are banned?
I understand that not all pitbulls are mean or aggresssive but I have never heard of a beagle attacking and killing so many people.

Poor kid. :(

what a terrifying way to die.

everyone knows my thoughts on pit bulls. :(

I wonder when we can start shooting and killing all stupid irresponsible dog owners, pit-bull or otherwise. :rolleyes:

I wonder when we can start shooting and killing all stupid irresponsible dog owners, pit-bull or otherwise. :rolleyes:

me too!

Our lovely meth/crackhead neighbors have a pitbull that gets off its chain every once and a while. If it crosses our fence, it is dead. It is the meanest animal I have ever seen.

I understand that not all pitbulls are mean or aggresssive but I have never heard of a beagle attacking and killing so many people.

But you see, a beagle won't make the news for doing that, or if it did it would be called a pitbull.

I volunteered at the city dog pound as a teen, and all the officers there were very adamant that pitbulls were among the safer "aggressive"(you know the dogs people think of when they think of a mean dog) breeds. Most that made it there for aggression were there over attacking other animals. They felt the akitas, dobermans, rotts, sharpeiis and chows were more dangerous. Most of the ones they saw there turned on a friend, family neighbor, or relative.

There's also a big misconception of what a pit bull is, with most mix breed bull dogs being bred for big bite and muscles being called pit bulls, when in fact, they're not. Add in the major over population issue, and how well calling any dog attack a pitbull attack sells the papers, it's no wonder everyone thinks they're evil.

isn't anyone going to post that story about the pomeranian that killed a newborn, one time...??

isn't anyone going to post that story about the pomeranian that killed a newborn, one time...??

Oh geez, I pray you are joking.

If I had read it, I would have posted it. Having any animals around newborns is dangerous, I guess.

no joke,, supposedly it really happened. i was saying that because pit bull defenders always bring that up as their proof that 'any dog can be dangerous and kill someone!' yeah sure, but.. 99% of the time, it's a pit bull.
and the other defense is always that 'it's the bad, bad owners' fault' well, yeah, often it is. because so many thugs and trashy people own them to look tough. they torment them, and then let them run loose, or don't get them fixed (of course not!-- for a male owner with a male dog, it's obviously a macho thing)- and they get out and roam free where they attack someone. the only problem with that logic is that the defenders fail to address the fact that pit bulls were bred for fighting and killing. all you have to do is look at their physical characteristics (and, their mental tendency to snap and attack for no reason)-- and anyone can see that.

but there's plenty of cases where intelligent, educated, well-meaning, non- people own pits and care for them very well- and they act fine, until one day they snap and go psycho on an innocent person, child, or another animal. and yeah sure, any dog is capable of this. BUT.... MOSTLY..... pit bulls. and pits do far greater damage than most dogs BECAUSE THEY WERE BRED FOR FIGHTING TO THE DEATH.

don't like what i'm saying? sorry,, but the truth hurts. i vote for the ban. there's too g*d d*mn many of them nowadays. and there's too many other amazing, incredible dogs that need homes that are wonderful- and MENTALLY STABLE animals. and don't have the physical ability to tear someone's face off.

i'm sorry if the jerks have ruined things for the nice people.. but isn't that how it happens with everything.........?

no joke,, supposedly it really happened. i was saying that because pit bull defenders always bring that up as their proof that 'any dog can be dangerous and kill someone!' yeah sure, but.. 99% of the time, it's a pit bull.
and the other defense is always that 'it's the bad, bad owners' fault' well, yeah, often it is. because so many thugs and trashy people own them to look tough. they torment them, and then let them run loose, or don't get them fixed (of course not!-- for a male owner with a male dog, it's obviously a macho thing)- and they get out and roam free where they attack someone. the only problem with that logic is that the defenders fail to address the fact that pit bulls were bred for fighting and killing. all you have to do is look at their physical characteristics (and, their mental tendency to snap and attack for no reason)-- and anyone can see that.

but there's plenty of cases where intelligent, educated, well-meaning, non- people own pits and care for them very well- and they act fine, until one day they snap and go psycho on an innocent person, child, or another animal. and yeah sure, any dog is capable of this. BUT.... MOSTLY..... pit bulls. and pits do far greater damage than most dogs BECAUSE THEY WERE BRED FOR FIGHTING TO THE DEATH.

don't like what i'm saying? sorry,, but the truth hurts. i vote for the ban. there's too g*d d*mn many of them nowadays. and there's too many other amazing, incredible dogs that need homes that are wonderful- and MENTALLY STABLE animals. and don't have the physical ability to tear someone's face off.

i'm sorry if the jerks have ruined things for the nice people.. but isn't that how it happens with everything.........?
While I don't underestmate pitbulls or any dog for that matter, can you link me to the 99% stat on dog attacks being pitbulls?

Here ya go Reb:

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl
September 21, 2001
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities said.
The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html

Now I remember this.
God, how tragic

Here ya go Reb:

Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl
September 21, 2001
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A small Pomeranian dog killed a 6-week-old baby while the infant's caretaker briefly left the child unattended to warm a bottle of milk, authorities said.
The relative, who was caring for the infant girl, found her head buried in the dog's mouth Saturday night, sheriff's Deputy Cruz Solis said. The girl died of head trauma at an area hospital, he said
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html

While I don't underestmate pitbulls or any dog for that matter, can you link me to the 99% stat on dog attacks being pitbulls?

JBean, only thing I could find real quick is that Pit Bulls are responsible for one third of fatal bites yet are 2% of the doggie population. Whatever the heck that means.

Yes, I don't underestimate any dog either. I have to honestly say especially pittie's after I saw how my brother was mauled. We were raised though to never, ever take for granted a dog wouldn't bite us and that included our own German Shep's.

Such a very sad, sad, sad thing though about this poor, poor child.

JBean, only thing I could find real quick is that Pit Bulls are responsible for one third of fatal bites yet are 2% of the doggie population. Whatever the heck that means.

Yes, I don't underestimate any dog either. I have to honestly say especially pittie's after I saw how my brother was mauled. We were raised though to never, ever take for granted a dog wouldn't bite us and that included our own German Shep's.

Such a very sad, sad, sad thing though about this poor, poor child.
HI Filly thanks.
I have a boxer and as sweet as she is and has never shown a violent streak, I assume she can bite. I keep a close eye on her when we are around others.

HI Filly thanks.
I have a boxer and as sweet as she is and has never shown a violent streak, I assume she can bite. I keep a close eye on her when we are around others.

No problem, JBean. Anytime. Sorry I forgot to include that link. Most of what I found was from the 90's anyway.

Awwww, Boxers are the best. Enjoy your girl. Our German Shep's were great dogs, but my dad taught us very young that indeed these are still dogs, and yes something could go wrong for so many reasons at any time and it would not be the dog's fault.

No problem, JBean. Anytime. Sorry I forgot to include that link. Most of what I found was from the 90's anyway.

Awwww, Boxers are the best. Enjoy your girl. Our German Shep's were great dogs, but my dad taught us very young that indeed these are still dogs, and yes something could go wrong for so many reasons at any time and it would not be the dog's fault.
The only dog I have had that turned and bit was an english bulldog of all things!

I dont know if its the breed that inherantly dangerous or the breed's popularity with the metheads,ex-cons and Bubba's.
Its a bad-*advertiser censored* status symbol to have the animal and carry him around in the truck for awhile
(in my part of the country the animal will be named "Bear" 9 times out of 10)
but taking an animal with you everywhere gets to be a pain and the novelty wears off.
Then the dog finds himself on a five foot chain behind the trailer sporadicly fed and watered and possibly abused when ever he's a handy target for the morons that own him.
In my happy world anyone with a criminal record should be prohibited from having a pitbull or rotweiler the same way they are prohibited from owning a firearm and subject to arrest if found with one in thier possesion.
If they were a heat magnet for LE I think these attacks and the dogs popularity with the wrong people would dissappear.

the fact that pit bulls were bred for fighting and killing.

Bred to fight other dogs, not bred to kill or attack people. In fact, any dog who would go that zany route would be killed instantly by its keeper.

There is a lot for us to learn about this most forgiving breed...why forgiving? Because of what people did to them...and still do.

Why are Staffies called "the children's nursemaid" aka sitter?

Didn't we all like Petey in "The Little Rascals" with his crayoned pied eye?

How about the RCA dog...or Tige, the dog in the shoe?

It's PEOPLE who have done this to a generalized type of dog, how these dogs have been bred and raised, more than a century after the origin of the 'original' pit bull dog.

OK, I've been personally insulted on another thread here for trying to post on this subject...will stop now...the information is out there and with this wonderful thing called the net, we can all avail ourselves of it. :)

Peace

Shana, I didn't personally insult you and I am sorry you feel that way. It wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at ALL pit bull owners.

This also is to ALL pit bull owners: I am so tired of reading of senseless killings of innocent children and others who do nothing more than go outside of their homes! People keep touting how safe and wonderful these dogs are...please feel free to write a letter to the parents of that poor child and let them know they are woefully uninformed about these animals.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people would rather take the life of an animal (or WHOLE breeds) before they give adults a few rules to live by.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back