Hispanics Sue Over English-Speaking-Only Rule At Catholic School

White Rain

Reaction score
This right here says it all:
"The diocese has said the school enacted the policy in response to four students who were using Spanish to bully others and to put down teachers and administrators."

WICHITA, Kan. — Four Hispanic families are suing St. Anne's Catholic School over a policy that requires students to speak English at all times while at school.
The lawsuit, filed Monday, calls for an end to the policy and asks for an order barring similar policies at other diocese schools. It seeks the return of one student to the school who was allegedly kicked out for refusing to sign the "English only" pledge. And it asks for court costs and unspecified damages for discrimination and emotional suffering.
"Language is an essential characteristic of one's national origin," according to the complaint filed in the case. "The ban on Spanish at St. Anne's created an atmosphere of intimidation, inferiority and isolation for Hispanic students."
The lawsuit was filed by parents Mike and Clara Silva, Maria and Fermin Fernandez, Guadalupe Cruz-Tello and Alma Contreras on behalf of themselves and their minor children. It names as defendants St. Anne Catholic School, Principal Margaret Nugent, St. Anne Catholic Parish and the Catholic Diocese of Wichita.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356861,00.html

If you want to go to a private school, you have to abide by their rules. You are not being forced to attend their school.

I think stuff like this just amplifies the need we have as Americans to learn a secondary language at a young age.

Many many many other countries in the world speak English in addition to their native tongue, and with the increased number of Spanish-speaking people coming to America, the time is now to learn this language.

I think it's ironic that in a country that is supposedly a melting pot of many cultures that we abandon our heritage and language because a few people think that English should be our only language.

The man I bought my house from is from Italy. He has an Italian accent, but can't speak an ounce of Italian. I would want to hold onto that and know the language of my people.

If you want to go to a private school, you have to abide by their rules. You are not being forced to attend their school.

I'm with you. I actually look forward to a more multi-lingual America, BUT I think private rules should be able to govern themselves the way they want. No one has to attend. This would be a different issue for me if it were a public institution.

I think stuff like this just amplifies the need we have as Americans to learn a secondary language at a young age.

Many many many other countries in the world speak English in addition to their native tongue, and with the increased number of Spanish-speaking people coming to America, the time is now to learn this language.

I think it's ironic that in a country that is supposedly a melting pot of many cultures that we abandon our heritage and language because a few people think that English should be our only language.

The man I bought my house from is from Italy. He has an Italian accent, but can't speak an ounce of Italian. I would want to hold onto that and know the language of my people.

How is that possible?

"The diocese has said the school enacted the policy in response to four students who were using Spanish to bully others and to put down teachers and administrators."

Their kids are totally entitled to speak spanish at home or any other place, School is not one of those places. IMO the school reacted appropriately as these kids were using their hispanic language to bully and intimidate. Seems to me that their parents would want to hold them accountable for those actions and lack of respect rather than sue the school for banning the other language.

I'm not sure what I think about this...It doesn't make sense that we start to teach our children secondary languages around the age that it starts to be harder for them to actually retain that kind of information. It is a lot easier for younger children to learn how to fluently speak more languages than it is for a teenager or an adult. I know they aren't talking about that in this story but it was brought up so I thought I'd add my opinion on that lol.

I think, if these children are learning English as a second language I can see how only sticking to English would be beneficial much like an English speaking child would only be allowed to speak Spanish in a school with a Spanish immersion program but I don't know about doing it just to avoid bullying.

How are they getting federal funding if it's a private school? :waitasec:

"The parents claim in their lawsuit that since the school receives federal money for its free and reduced-price lunch program, it is subject to federal anti-discrimination laws. The district contends it is the students who receive the federal funding."

(snip)

(snip)

Yes, I agree that this country IS a melting pot of many cultures, but according to the U.S. Oath of Citizenship, LEGAL IMMIGRANTS are SUPPOSED to renounce all allegiance and fidelity to their former country!

I hope they make English the sole language of the United States of America. It encourages solidarity and unity. ONE NATION UNDER GOD! Multiple languages spoken within a country encourages separatism and is very divisive, as seen in this particular case.

U.S. Oath of Citizenship:
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

"The parents claim in their lawsuit that since the school receives federal money for its free and reduced-price lunch program, it is subject to federal anti-discrimination laws. The district contends it is the students who receive the federal funding."

Hmmmm - that's a good question and does shake things up a bit!

I couldn't disagree more. In the first place a Catholic school is private. My kids learned chinese in grade school (that was weird)

We are the melting pot, come here and enjoy life America has to offer. If you wish not to assimilate that is a personal choice, but I feel it is offensive to expect english speaking Americans to make sure they can speak a foreign language to make immigrants feel at home.

All private schools get some form of federal and state funding. My daughter attends a private (Catholic) grammar school. They get state and federal funding for free/reduced lunches and safety programs, etc.

I couldn't disagree more. In the first place a Catholic school is private. My kids learned chinese in grade school (that was weird)

We are the melting pot, come here and enjoy life America has to offer. If you wish not to assimilate that is a personal choice, but I feel it is offensive to expect english speaking Americans to make sure they can speak a foreign language to make immigrants feel at home.

Chinese is THE language to learn, especially if your children eventually want to get into international business! The Chicago Public Schools now has Chinese learning programs for grammar school and high school students.

I agree with your stance. Immigrants are expected to assimilate into the culture of the United States of America, NOT the other way around.

I wanted to add, after reading this comment that I don't think our kids should be taught secondary languages at a young age so we can assimilate either. I think they should be taught more than one language for their own benefit. I only speak English, if someone wants a job that I want and they can speak English as well as a couple other languages, they have a better chance at getting that job.

I do agree though, if I were to move to a different country the first thing I would do is try and learn their language, not expect them to learn English.

My Grandmother came to America not speaking a word of English. She learned the language and forgot her native language. I wish she had taught us her language but she believed you come to this Country....you learn this language.

...Many many many other countries in the world speak English in addition to their native tongue, and with the increased number of Spanish-speaking people coming to America, the time is now to learn this language...

I will learn Spanish when I move to Mexico or another Spanish speaking country out of respect to the citizens and their culture. However, as long as I live in America, I refuse to give into this crap. Let them learn my language when they are in my country.

I will learn Spanish when I move to Mexico or another Spanish speaking country out of respect to the citizens and their culture. However, as long as I live in America, I refuse to give into this crap. Let them learn my language when they are in my country.

Thank you Doctor. I agree. The reason that people in other countries learn English is because they want the tourism money.

If its true that its better to learn a foreign language at an early age, then every Mexican born should be taught English because one way or another, they're gonna need to learn it.

Their kids are totally entitled to speak spanish at home or any other place, School is not one of those places. IMO the school reacted appropriately as these kids were using their hispanic language to bully and intimidate. Seems to me that their parents would want to hold them accountable for those actions and lack of respect rather than sue the school for banning the other language.

The issue is not the language they used but the poor behavior IMO!
I do agree with whomever posted that at a private school you must follow their rules.
English is not the designated language of the USA so not speaking English is not a crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back