FL - Baby, 9 mos, fatally struck after crawling from home

noZme

Reaction score
Who was watching this baby? How long did it take to get out the door and crawl across the street?...... So horrific for the driver!

"Posted 6/2/2008 10:51 AM EDT on tallahassee.com

ST. AUGUSTINE - A 9-month-old girl crawled out of her St. Augustine home and was fatally struck by a neighbor's van, according to authorities.

Police said the girl crawled out the front door of her home Sunday evening and made her way across the street to a neighbor's driveway.

The driver told officers he stopped after he felt a bump, got out of the van and saw the baby underneath. The driver, who said he didn't see the baby, immediately called police.

The girl was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.

No charges have been filed.
Read More From WKMG Local 6 Orlando "

just look at "crimes in the news" titles

unfortunately a category for child neglect/abuse
would be a busy forum on it's own

sickening!

I hit a dog once and it mortified me. I'd never sleep again if I ran over a baby. :eek:

Dear Lord, that poor neighbor! I can't even begin to imagine the horror of seeing a baby underneath his vehicle.

My God.

The neighbor must be going out of their minds right now in grief.

The parents or caregiver should be sitting behind bars right now.

Maybe this thread should be move to Up to the Minute. I don't see a crime here, just a tragic accident. I'd have to know more about the situation before I throw stones at the parents or caregiver. Surely, no one wants their baby to crawl out the door and might be a case of one parent thinking the other was watching the baby. I know my dd could crawl at a very high rate of speed. My thoughts and prayers are w/ the driver and parents.

I'm sure the parents are going out of their minds in grief, too.

I feel bad for everybody involved.

if this thread should be in another place, who can move it?

update:
there is a picture with the link below. it looks to be a small residential street.

"Police said the child crawled out of her home, out a gate, into the street and then under the van...........Reports said that the driver, a friend of the family, came out to leave but did not see the baby.

.....Officer Barbara Clifford, spokeswoman for St. Augustine police, said an investigation has been started. No charges have been filed against the driver.
"We're gathering details," Clifford said. "It has not yet been determined if criminal charges will be filed."

http://staugustine.com/stories/060208/news_txt03_001.shtml

OMG, this is a heartbreaking story!! :(

I have a 7 month old and I cannot imagine the grief! Prayers for the driver and the parents. My gosh...

My deepest sympathies for all involved. What an awful tragedy.
If it comes out that the parents were making child *advertiser censored* or doing drugs while this baby crawled out of the home, I will then cast my stones. But for now, this seems to be a horrible horrible accident that I'm sure all parties involved wish had not happened.

What StillHoping said. I need more details too.

:(

Whether or not the parent/caregiver should be charged depends. If the parent turned their back for 5 minutes and the baby crawled into the street, I am not sure. If the parent was strung out drunk or on drugs, definitely.

How absolutely horrible. It could have been a series of mistakes that happened in sync for this accident to have occured. Until I know more I won't throw out my judgments but I do want to know if the front door was open (my mind wanders; blown open from the wind, not shut hard enough, intended to put a baby gate up but got distracted) and where were the parents at the time.

What StillHoping said. I need more details too.

:(

I remember when I was in the shower and my toddler son figured out how to open the doors .... I was running all over the neighborhood in my bathrobe before I finally found the little stinker hiding from me in the playhouse in the backyard.

Whether or not the parent/caregiver should be charged depends. If the parent turned their back for 5 minutes and the baby crawled into the street, I am not sure. If the parent was strung out drunk or on drugs, definitely.

A baby can't crawl out a door and a gate, and into the street in five minutes. I know how fast a 9 month old can crawl, but in no five minutes. There's plenty of people who have been charged with child endangerment that were not on drugs or drunk.

I'm not taking the stand either until we know the facts. It could have been another child had left the door open. Perhaps another child went outside and the baby followed. There's many scenario's that could have happened making it an accident for sure.

I feel so sorry for this neighbor and the parents even if it was someone not supervising the baby. A few years ago I went to my aunts house it was the middle of winter, freezing about 20 degrees outside and I see this naked baby across the street in the front yard. I went to the door and knocked but no one answered. The bottome of the screen door was missing and that is how he got out. His lips were blue but he kept going in and out. I picked him up and went to the neighbor and asked if they knew the people. They gave me a blanket and called the police after they tried the door and no one came. They found the mom sleeping, they ripped her up off the couch and were yelling at her don't you know your baby is outside nake in the cold. They did not take him away that day but he was eventually taken away because he was found out in the stree more than once.

I don't understand how anyone can not blame the parents here. A baby that cannot even walk, crawled outside, down the porch across the lawn and into a neighbors drive.

There is no excuse for this at all. NONE.

An accident? YES for the poor driver who killed the baby, not an accident for neglectful parents

I remember when I was in the shower and my toddler son figured out how to open the doors .... I was running all over the neighborhood in my bathrobe before I finally found the little stinker hiding from me in the playhouse in the backyard.

I know of a 5 year old little girl who figured out how to remove a screen, climbed out a bedroom widow, only to be found butt naked in only cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, riding her tricycle down the parking lot of the apartment. BOY WAS MY MOM FRANTIC!

I know of a 5 year old little girl who figured out how to remove a screen, climbed out a bedroom widow, only to be found butt naked in only cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, riding her tricycle down the parking lot of the apartment. BOY WAS MY MOM FRANTIC!

You were a wild child!!!!! Love the outfit description!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back