GUILTY WV - Constantine 'Alex' Washburn, 22 mos, dies of head trauma, Cross Lanes, May 2008

Timeless2

Reaction score
June 6, 2008
Cross Lanes woman charged in infant death

By Rusty Marks
Staff writer
http://wvgazette.com/latest/200806050716

A Cross Lanes woman was arrested Thursday and charged with child neglect resulting in death in connection with the death of her 22-month-old son.
Elizabeth Dawn Thornton, 21, was arraigned in Kanawha Magistrate Court in connection with the death of 22-month-old Constantine Alexander Washburn, known as "Alex."
Lt. Sean Crosier, of the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department, said the infant died May 31 as a result of injuries received May 26 in his Cross Lanes home. Crosier said the boy's severe brain injuries and other injuries would have required immediate medical attention, but that Thornton did not seek help until a friend called an ambulance on May 29.
Crosier said Washburn was kept alive on life support for two days before he died. Authorities are not sure if the boy was beaten, pushed or thrown against another object to cause the injuries.
For more, read Friday's Gazette.

The reason I posted this story is that my son has known the father (Chris Washburn) since High School.
My son was with the dad & mom when little Alex died. The mom - Liz claims that the baby was jumping on a couch, and fell off and hit his head on a marble coffee table.
The parents claim they have never abused Alex or any of their other children.
Their other children are being taken care of by Chris's sister at this time.
I personally don't know what to believe about this story.

Timeless,
That is heartbreaking. :(
Prayers to little Alex's family.
May Alex rest in peace.

Timeless it is heartwrenching. Poor little guy.

This article says that the child's mother said he hit the table and the toilet. LE said the injuries weren't consistent with such falls. It looks like they are focusing on nobody calling for help for the child. It also says that the baby's father was present at the time the child got hurt. So, they must know something if they just arrested the mother.

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=39601

Filly, this is from your link:

Child Protective Services have been involved prior to this incident and Thornton's three other children are now in their custody.

Oh boy, this is sad. The coffee table AND the toilet? My dd (disabled) throws fits like you wouldn't believe. We have witnesses that have seen her throw her head into the wall and on the floor. She even throws herself on the ground with her knees bent weird when she's mad and I'm so afraid she's going to snap them out of place. Thank goodness in our case there are people that have seen her do this.

Usually though, I think child abuse is the reason for head injuries like this, but I won't pass judgement till I hear more. Those other kids probably have a lot to say if there was abuse going on.

Timeless, how sweet of your son to be there with them. Welcome to WS. :blowkiss:

Timeless, I feel for your son. To be there when Alex died and to have this happen to a friend's child...he must be devastated.

Timeless, how sweet of your son to be there with them. Welcome to WS. :blowkiss:

Thank you for the welcome.

My heart hurts. Alex was born a week before my grandson, and this has hit my son hard.

Timeless - I agree - it was very nice of your son to lend support to this couple during this time. And welcome to WS!

Please don't take this personally, I don't mean to be a witch with a capital B, but the parents should be held responsible for not seeking medical help for thier child. No way out, even if they did not cause the injuries, they had a duty to protect and care for the child. They failed in that duty.

I understand what Taximom is saying about her DD. I have a grandson that will sometimes throw some pretty violent fits (less and less as time goes on) so I know sometimes children can injure themselves. But - when a child does cause an injury to themselves, especially a head injury, you seek medical care. These parents owed the child at least that, in my opinion.

I'm sorry for your son. He must be torn up inside having his long-standing friend involved in a situation like this. I send him prayers for strength and peace and the ability to comfort his friend and counsel him wisely.

And peace to you, Timeless. May the child rest in peace,

Salem

Oh, I agree about seeking medical care, Salem. I wasn't making any excuses for them!

From May 2009:

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/44366457.html

Kanawha County Circuit Court Judge Tod Kaufman sentenced both 32-year-old Christopher Washburn and 22-year-old Elizabeth Thornton on Monday to three to 15 years in prison...

Washburn had pleaded guilty to child abuse that resulted in death. Thornton was convicted of the same charge by a jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back