Media Links Only (No Discussion)

KSTP
April 29, 2008

The La Crosse Police Department has been in contact with many of the other jurisdictions where young people have drowned and, of course, we remain open to any new and relevant information. There is no evidence at this time to connect La Crosse area drownings with any other deaths around the country.
Full article: click here

Barb0301 originally found this link and posted it in A.B. thread in the "located" forum.

http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel08/statement042908.htm

FBI News Statement. They have to be saying this in order to protect the investigation, right? Can they seriously believe there is no connection and these deaths are accidents? Seriously? How do you scream through a keyboard AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH or as SS says GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It has to be because they don't want to spill the beans or send the perps underground. It has to be, I absolutely refuse to believe anything else!

Salem

THANKS BARB!

By Steve Perry , Minnesota Monitor
May 07, 2008

If you missed Kristi Piehl’s breathless April 25 KSTP-TV report on the pair of retired NYPD detectives who believe there’s a network of serial killers murdering college men around the country — over 40 to date, they claim, and perhaps up to 100 — then you’ve probably also missed the overnight growth of a new urban legend on the web.

[...]

The smiley-face killers story is making the rounds of chatboards devoted to serial killers, UFOs, white supremacy, horror movies, Notre Dame alums, video gaming — and that’s just in the first hundred or so results. And let the record show that Kristi Piehl of KSTP has done her part to bring the yarn to the huddled masses yearning to breathe the vapors of another massive conspiracy: The same night her story ran, she did an hour on the Coast-to-Coast AM radio show. C to C is the former domain of the underground radio legend Art Bell, the maestro of paranormal and paranoiac palaver who was once cited, albeit disapprovingly, by the Council for Media Integrity “for encouraging credulity, presenting pseudoscience as genuine, and contributing to the public’s lack of understanding of the methods of scientific inquiry.” (Incidentally, C to C is where I got the claim that Gannon and Duarte believe there are 100 or more victims in all; Piehl mentions it on the air.)
Full article: click here

New details have emerged in the search for missing 19-year-old Middlebury College freshman Nicholas Garza that could link him to the so-called "Smiley Face Gang," which a group of retired detectives believes is responsible for the apparent drowning deaths of dozens of young men across the country.

Searchers have found smiley-face graffiti near Garza's campus like that painted near some of the locations where about 40 bodies have been discovered across 11 states, FOX 44 News reported.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354386,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/21/smiley.face.killer/index.html

The detectives also believe the victims were targeted. All of the young men were popular, athletic and good students.
Who would commit this type of crime?
"The type of person that would be the opposite, not smart, someone not good in school, maybe doesn't have a job, not popular," said Duarte.
Gannon and Duarte believe the young men were drugged to weaken them -- and given a substance that couldn't be detected by an autopsy.
"I believe these young men are being abducted by individuals in the bars, taken out, at some point held for a period of time before they're entered into the water," Gannon said.
He also believes the victims were abused mentally and sometimes physically abused before they were killed.
"This is a chance for them to have power and control over somebody else and manipulate. The fear of death is just as important as the act of death itself," Gannon said.

It was the 3 pod casts from last week, we were discussing them in the discussion thread. The info is about some similarities in the cases, ie..regional tagging similar in certain states/regios, the 3 vics from the same town, 2 from the same high school..new info from Bill Szostak about the way his son was found with the shirt over his jacket.

It is 3 separate pod casts, 2 with Gannon and one with Szostak.

It won't let me edit so I'll just have to leave that link there.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2008/06/criminal_profil.php

Criminal Profiler Debunks "Smiley Face Killers"

For one thing, she says, sociopaths probably wouldn't work that hard, traveling to several states to find victims.

Second, a serial killer's motive is generally pretty clear. "It's usually a sexual assault," Brown says, which isn't the case in these drownings.

Third, serial killers prefer to work alone. "Sometimes you'll get a pair of them," she says, but not working in separate locations.

Fourth, their choice of victims doesn't match the serial killer profile. "They don't pick on big college boys. They pick on little girls, or teenage girls, or young teenage boys like 14 years old who can't fight back."

Fifth, the idea that they could abduct 40 male college students and drown them all without leaving a suspicious mark on their bodies strains all credibility.

Updated at: 08/21/2008 05:53:00 PM

By: Kristi Piehl

PIEHL: 'Smiley Face Killers' - Your Questions

Almost everyday, someone emails me a question about the Smiley Face Killer story or a missing persons case. If one person has a question and sends it to me, then there must be more people thinking the same thing.

Here are the answers to a few questions that I've recently received.

1. "I thought I heard an arrest was about to be made. Any word on that?"

The FBI has said agents are not investigating these drownings and blame the cases on alcohol. While some of the drowning cases are classified by the local police departments as "open", my information is that one or two could considered "active."

.........................snip...........................

<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S551638.shtml?cat=1

From Watertown Daily Times
http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/section/breakingnews#2009903069963

Judge: lawsuit will proceed in death of St. Lawrence Univ. student
First published: March 06, 2009 at 4:13 pm
Last modified: March 06, 2009 at 4:24 pm

An acting State Supreme Court Judge has denied motions to dismiss St. Lawrence University and Garrett W. Huntley from the Adam M. Falcon lawsuit.

Judge Richard C. Giardino ruled in a Feb. 18 decision that the lawsuit can move forward. Mr. Falcon’s family filed suit in September 2006 against the university and others who had contact with him in the hours before his death.

His body was found on Nov. 18, 2004, five days after he was last seen alive at the Tick Tock Inn on Hodskin Street in downtown Canton. Earlier that night he had attended a party at Dean Eaton Hall dormitory on the SLU campus and was, according to witnesses, highly intoxicated even before using another student’s drivers license in order to enter the tavern where he bought several drinks.

Mr. Huntley’s driver’s license was found in Mr. Falcon’s wallet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back