GUILTY PA - Tom, 51, Lisa, 47, & Kevin Haines, 16, murdered, Manheim Twp, 12 May 2007

My mind has been changed here on this. I think the father/mother should have been quietly given the reward. The reward money being given should not be public knowledge. The press should not even know if it had been handed out. He was entitled to it, and God bless him, he and his exwife might need some extra money for therapy. They did the honorable thing, and they are entitled to it.

That's a good point - the reward being a private affair.

I personally would not have been bothered one bit if he had accepted it. Ultimately, he sounds like he did what he felt like was right in his heart and I respect that.

That's a good point - the reward being a private affair.

I personally would not have been bothered one bit if he had accepted it. Ultimately, he sounds like he did what he felt like was right in his heart and I respect that.
It was a big deal, here on our local news...

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/20609

The comments on our local talkback forum started with this:

At the outset, I apologize if I have not responded in the correct format, but I have made every effort to avoid contributing to Talkback. Until now! Many will recognize from my name that I am counsel for the Kreider family. As far as Mr. Kreider is concerned, he has never, ever, for the slightest moment, considered making a claim for nor accepting a reward. In fact, the thought thereof is absolutely offensive. The only thing more offensive is the New Era's suggestion that he be entitled to it. It is irresponsible journalism to write such a story, and to not at least make an effort to contact the family's representative and inquire of their intention...or lack thereof. If the Lancaster New Era cannot find anything else to write about, they should drag their butts out from behind their desks and do a little leg work. Several things were made public today which they completely missed. This wasn't a story...this was an obscene speculation by a lazy newspaper

I think you're right. I am really interested in hearing more. It was also interesting to find out that his father did not accept the reward. I wonder if Alec has been appointed Counsel by the Court or if his family has obtained representation for him.

I knew in my heart this father would never partake in receiving monetary gain. Imo he would think he was taking blood money. Money made at the cost of three innocent lives.

I think he is an honest man who had the hardest decision to make in his life and made the right one. It shows his integrity. He would have never considered taking any money and if offered would think it dishonors him but more so to the families who are grieving the tragic loss of three lives.

imoo

I knew in my heart this father would never partake in receiving monetary gain. Imo he would think he was taking blood money. Money made at the cost of three innocent lives.

I think he is an honest man who had the hardest decision to make in his life and made the right one. It shows his integrity. He would have never considered taking any money and if offered would think it dishonors him but more so to the families who are grieving the tragic loss of three lives.

imoo

You are right about the boy's father being an honorable man. I cannot imagine having to turn my son into authorities for the murder of three people. This story is just heartbreaking on so many levels.

Just got back (to Florida) from visiting my home town - Lancaster, PA. What a beautiful area.... Each time I go back it never ceases to amaze me of the true beauty in that area. Unfortunately (?) didn't get to go see the Hayes home - don't think I would have wanted to anyway. No one up there that I visited spoke too much about it..... I think we must be talking about it more than they are.

8/31/07

Kreider pleads not guilty; trial date to be set

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. - Alec Kreider waived his right to a formal arraignment on Wednesday, entering a plea of not guilty.

The case will be assigned to a specific Lancaster County Court judge, according to District Attorney Donald Totaro. The judge will schedule pretrial hearings with attorneys and set the trial date.

~more at link~

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/208868

Thanks for the update, luthersmama!! Can't wait to find out what charges he's going to plead guilty to. I also wish they'd give the motive (not that it matters, I just find it odd because the 2 boys were supposedly best friends).
The local rumor mill had it that the 2 boys were gay, and the victim had decided to come out to his parents. The killer did not want to be outed, so he killed them all. It does seem like it was a crime of passion.

Still, the rumor mill could be wrong about all of that. I wonder if we will ever know the motive.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/223208

Kreider sentenced to life in jail
Dramatic testimony reveals new details of how MT teen killed 3 in family; son desperately fought back

Stedman said Kreider confessed to a fellow inmate that the fact Haines was his best friend just made the murder "more interesting," and that he would have tried to rape Haines' sister, Maggie, if he had known she was in the house at the time.

The description of the victims' injuries by Stedman, along with details of their final moments, reduced many members of the Haines family to tears.

"Kevin Haines clearly fought for his life," Stedman told the judge, as evidenced by the many defensive wounds to his hands.

This is heartbreaking. This killer was killing for fun.

He killed just to kill? I really wish he had been eligible for the death penalty... scum like this don't deserve to live...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back