Another Fatal Fall In The Grand Canyon

How sad :(

I hope his family finds peace.

I must say...I was quite taken aback by the lack of safety measures when I visited the Grand Canyon (in Dec '07).

Visitors are left to go as close to the edge as they feel comfortable with.

How sad :(

I hope his family finds peace.

I must say...I was quite taken aback by the lack of safety measures when I visited the Grand Canyon (in Dec '07).

Visitors are left to go as close to the edge as they feel comfortable with.

Yeah, but, you can't fence in something as vast as the Grand Canyon. At some point, people have to be trusted to read the many signs of warning and know to stay away from the edge. I was there last summer with our 3 kids. They all had back packs on & I tied them together, so that none of them could wander too close to the edge. My oldest doesn't like heights, so he kept us far away.

Yeah, but, you can't fence in something as vast as the Grand Canyon. At some point, people have to be trusted to read the many signs of warning and know to stay away from the edge. I was there last summer with our 3 kids. They all had back packs on & I tied them together, so that none of them could wander too close to the edge. My oldest doesn't like heights, so he kept us far away.

And such a fence undertaking would take away from the natural beauty of the Canyon...

I am sorry to hear that this person lost their life, there... peace to his family.

You guys should pick up the book Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon. It was really interesting...

Oh! Waving hand wildly! I read that book! Bought it in the giftstore to prove a point to Mr. Texana . Me: I bet a lot of people go over the edge here. Mr. Texana: What a morbid mind you have.

The book makes the point that the "Disney" mentality of vacations makes people forget they are in a wilderness area, that took a lot of lives for many, many hundreds of years.

Most if not all people lose their lives due to their own lack of respect for the fences or the physical requirements of hiking.

Every area is fenced off. If you lean way over and get vertigo, or you do as one man did and jump over in an attempt to be a practical joker, you might lose your life.

When we visited we saw many people just unwilling to accept or respect the safety and reality concerns. One woman lit up a cigarette in full view of the "NO SMOKING--fire danger (or whatever the exact wording was) sign.

The book is a very engaging read, and very educational as well.

We took the mule ride to the bottom on the Bright Angel Trail and then came out on the Kaibab Trail. The vertical drops along the trail were quite frightening and it would have been easy for someone to slip off the trail. It is definitely not a Disney ride.

I thought so, too! I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did :)

Clearly, another "morbid mind." :Banane09::Banane09::Banane09:

Hey, wasn't the worst story the one about the dad who was pretending to fall off---went over the guard rail--and then really DID fall to his death?

But again, the book made an excellent and not-often-heard one--that a wilderness area like the Grand Canyon is not DisneyWorld. It's a brutal environment and life-or-death, no matter how pretty the views.

I remember we each drink an entire bottle of water every morning just walking around, you can imagine how dehydrated you'd get hiking without the recommended gallon per hiker. (another frequent cause of death; dehydration and disorientation.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back