NY - Robert Chambers, 20, convicted in 1986 murder of Jennifer Levin, 18, Manhattan

They need a one strike policy for these sex offenders. Lock them away in special prisons for life. They will only keep reoffending. They can't be cured.

Not really! Murder and lying to cover your *advertiser censored* is so very human - though it's not the best of us, I know!

I know, I know. Chambers and Simpson are all too human. But can't you allow me a comforting delusion now and then? ;)

I know, I know. Chambers and Simpson are all too human. But can't you allow me a comforting delusion now and then? ;)

I surely can. I was just making rational post in the face of your emotional post (a bad habit of mine, to be sure)....but you will find no fan of Chambers or Simpson at this keyboard. Sociopaths, I think - it shames me to share the "human" classification with either of those guys.

‘Preppy Killer’ Pleads Guilty to Selling Cocaine

By JOHN ELIGON
Published: August 11, 2008

Robert E. Chambers Jr., who became a symbol of teenage socialite arrogance 22 years ago after he killed a young woman in Central Park, pleaded guilty on Monday to selling cocaine in exchange for a sentence that will keep him in prison nearly until retirement age, prosecutors said.

Mr. Chambers, who spent 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the killing of Jennifer Levin in 1986, appeared in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Monday and admitted to selling cocaine out of a Midtown apartment with his companion, Shawn Kovell, according to Alicia Maxey-Greene, a spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney’s office. He agreed to a sentence of 19 years and 4 months, and 5 years’ probation, the office said. (If he had been found guilty at a trial, he would have faced 25 years to life.)

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/12/nyregion/12chambers.html?ref=nyregion

Now that's amazing!!! He gets more time for selling drugs than killing someone!!!!

Yeah, kind of sad when you think about it. But, at least he'll be where he deserves to be.:behindbar

:loser:Once a loser, always a loser.:mad:

fran

Looking Back at the Preppy Killer Case, 30 Years Later
On the anniversary of Jennifer Levin's death.

AUG 26, 2016

Preppy Killer Case 30 Year Later - Robert Chambers and Jennifer Levin's Story

robert-chambers-vs-jennifer-levin.jpg

The Preppy Murder: Death In Central Park - Opening Minutes

"The opening scene of THE PREPPY MURDER: DEATH IN CENTRAL PARK, a 5-part docu-series that re-examines the 1986 killing of Jennifer Levin at the hands of Robert Chambers."

I really need to read on this part of the forum more. I had no clue that Robert Chambers was back in prison. Good place for him...

I was a teen when the "Preppy Murder" case hit the news back in the '80's. I remember reading some articles here & there, but since I wasn't NYC-based & wasn't that interested in the news/crimes ATT - I didn't pay a whole lot of attention.

Recently - due to my now-interest in all things True Crime, I finally watched the excellent mini-series The Preppy Murder: Death in Central Park. Incredible documentary, which really did a thorough presentation of the case. I'm disgusted - though not surprised - that RC only got 5-15 years for murdering JL because he took a "plea deal" due to the jury not being able to decide on what level to convict him. He should have gotten life in prison without parole (or worse). However, the injustices that occur within the CJS have ceased to surprise me long ago.

Some comments about the doc. & the case:

-Based on the crime scene photos, the physical evidence, etc. - it was 100% evident that RC strangled JL. However, though he "confessed" to killing JL on tape, due to his lying & saying he was trying to defend himself from her assault - the defense & the news did a lot of "victim shaming" in this case & painted JL as the aggressor & as a "loose woman", etc. What underhanded, sickening tactics - especially given that JL wasn't alive to defend herself. Not surprising at all, however.

-It's interesting that though RC was being touted as a rich kid & a "preppy", his family actually wasn't wealthy. However, his mother had a lot of influential friends/business associates & they helped get RC in the best private schools, etc. - that he wouldn't have had access to otherwise. It's certain that this is how RC was able to "hire" an extremely expensive lawyer for his defense.

-RC was both a drug addict & a thief - prior to the murder.

-There were elements of RC's past that the prosecution wasn't able to bring forward at the trial that they should have been able to present to the jury, which may have made a big difference in the verdict. This included a denim jacket (possibly JL's) near the crime scene that contained blood evidence that strongly implied he had used this to put over her face, etc. Also, his thieving & burglaries, excessive drug use, would have been able to paint a picture of the type of person he really was, etc. But, none of this was admissible during he trial.

And, after the trial was over a tape was unearthed showing RC joking about "killing" a doll. No remorse whatsoever.

It's good that RC served the full 15 years of his sentence. But, it's cold comfort - given that that's not that long of a sentence for killing someone in cold blood.

Glad that he's back in prison, and hopefully he'll stay there. And, it's ironic that his drug sentence of 19 years is longer than his sentence was for killing JL. I just shows how little value the CJS places on a human life, and that drug offenses are in many cases deemed more deserving of severe punishment than killing someone. Pathetic, but not at all surprising.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back