Gas Cans discovered by George Key date - June 24, 2008 ***REVISITED ***

George's story about the 24th and the gas cans

• He did find them in Casey's car, and nothing was wrong.

Votes: 39 9.1%
  • He did not go into the truck, and made it up to help Casey..

Votes: 68 15.9%
  • He made it up to protect Casey and himself.

Votes: 98 23.0%
  • I have no idea. This family cannot keep dates and stories straight.

Votes: 222 52.0%

• Total voters

live2

Reaction score
I shared this in chat and wanted to put it out here for you guys to think about...

On 6/24, according to George Anthony, he went into Caylee's trunk to retrieve "tire wedges" to rotate his wife's tires that weekend (according to the Greta interview in their house). He NEVER mentioned the smell of decomposition on 6/24 when he was in Casey's trunk. But he did say he recovered the gas cans from her trunk on 6/24 that he'd reported missing that very morning. Unless George was involved in some cover up (which I honestly do NOT think he was involved in otherwise the LE wouldn't have so much forensic info now), then Casey's trunk didn't reek of decomposition as of 6/24/2008.

The 1st reports of seeing Casey's abandoned car at Apscot was at 7am on 6/27/08. The car stayed there from 6/27-6/30 and was towed on 6/30. It stayed in the tow lot untouched from 6/30 to 7/15 when George/Cindy recovered it and several reports discussed how it smelled like a dead body.

So sometime between lunch/afternoon of 6/24/2008 and 7am on 6/27/2008, it would appear there was transport of a decomposing body that seems to be Caylee Anthony's.

Have the police (or for that matter Leonard/Tony Padilla) checked Casey's phone records for the time between 6/24 to 6/27? IF there was a transport of Caylee (and assuming she died sometime around 6/16), then it would appear to be AFTER GEORGE had his HEAD in the trunk of the car on 6/24 and found the gas cans Casey had taken and he'd reported missing that morning.

If Caylee had been in the car prior to 6/24, I think George would have smelled the odor of decomposition.

So what do you think?

I believe that George did not smell decomp on June 24. The reason I think that is because he reported that Casey was trying to keep him away from the trunk. If he were trying to cover something up, he would never have mentioned her reluctance to let him in the trunk.

Leonard said he was going to look at the 16th thru 19th phone records I believe. I thought he should look also at 24-27th. I'm sure the police did though. The smell not being there on the 24th, but Caylee not being seen by anyone after the 16th makes the whole thing look even more heinous. I'd think George might have done more damage than good if he was lying about a smell or anything being in the trunk when he found the gas cans.

I don't understand, I thought CASEY had been missing a month as well..... but yet he see's her and the vehicle on the 24th?

I don't think he smelled anything on the 24th because I don't believe the entire 24th story. I think the gas cans came home on the 15th when the car did. I was hoping the discovery docs would say something about it but it didn't appear that the tow guy was asked.

I don't understand, I thought CASEY had been missing a month as well..... but yet he see's her and the vehicle on the 24th?

True... I think Cindy's statement to 911 about her daughter missing for a month only really meant she hadn't been staying at their house for a month and they hadn't seen their granddaughter in a month... but who knows what she meant?

I'd like to know if there are any pics of Casey and Caylee taken on Father's Day at the Anthony home. So far, I have seen none.

The gas cans are a huge part of the puzzle.

As for the smell - I have read that moving a decomposed body causes the smell to intensify. Wonder if that isn't part of the equation?

On average, external signs of decomposition begin to appear about 24 hours after death. The soft, moist tissue inside the body begins to break down faster than the more durable exterior surfaces of the skin. Consequently, escaping gases from inside the body often create a uniquely repulsive odor even before any external signs of decomposition are present. Moving the body to examine it or to remove it from a scene only increases the amount of the gas and smell.

What day did Casey borrow the shovel? I bet she used the shovel to dig Caylee back up, and it was after the 24th. George probably locked the sheds up after he got the gas cans back from Casey which is why she was unable to use the shovel belonging to her parents.

From what I am able to gather- the fight at the Anthony camp took place around the 8th or 9th of june. Casey and Caylee take off, so how then did Caylee get to be back with gma and gpa for fathers day to go to the nursing home?

Speaking of the nursing home- I watched a video tonight with CA sitting in Caylee's room and she said that the last time she saw her was on the 8th when they went to the nursing home.
What struck me funny about that was, until the pictures surfaced they had all but forgotten about the nursing home visit and then realized that it was fathers day.
My question is, how do you remember that you took Caylee to see your parents and know the specific date but forget that its because of fathers day that you went?
Especially because fathers day is always the second sunday of june.

I don't think he smelled anything on the 24th because I don't believe the entire 24th story. I think the gas cans came home on the 15th when the car did. I was hoping the discovery docs would say something about it but it didn't appear that the tow guy was asked.

No, because when he went to pick the car and it was out of gas. He told the tow guy that he lived close and could run home to get his gas can.

No, because when he went to pick the car and it was out of gas. He told the tow guy that he lived close and could run home to get his gas can.

No he didnt have to go home to get gas, he already had it with him.
He knew that it was out of gas.
He made a second trip to the tow yard because he didnt have enough cash on him. He didnt find out that it was out of gas until he paid for it and was taken to the car.

Hi Everyone! Been reading for a while and couldn't resist joining in at this point...

For what it is worth, I think the whole gas cans on the 24th report is part of a preplanned cover on the part of George. Sorry, but my hinky meter goes off whenever I see him in the news - especially when he and Cindy were going to visit Casey and he freaked out at the mention of Caylee dying due to an accident. It was almost as if someone got a little too close to the truth and he just couldn't deal with it. For someone who normally has no affect (much alike Casey) he kind of lost it there. For that, and a myriad of other reasons, I think he may be involved.

Gasoline can help destroy biological evidence so why not throw some gas cans in the trunk after you load a body in there. (Who better to know that than former LE?) Also, you can claim they were "stolen" and located in the trunk - call to make a police report -giving documented "evidence" to the fact that there was no odor in the trunk (even though at that point it is only his word)- lending more credence to the defense that someone else put a body in the car after it was abandoned. Gross...and so sad!

Poor Caylee...anyway that you slice this whole situation it is just sad, sad, sad.

Not sure that is accurate, but there are probably 5 different size gas cans around the shed and garage here. Hubby has the lawnmower, the chainsaw, the snowmobiles each have their own. There could be another at their house, or if Casey has had it since the 16th of June he could have replaced them not expecting them to come home.

From what I am able to gather- the fight at the Anthony camp took place around the 8th or 9th of june. Casey and Caylee take off, so how then did Caylee get to be back with gma and gpa for fathers day to go to the nursing home?

Speaking of the nursing home- I watched a video tonight with CA sitting in Caylee's room and she said that the last time she saw her was on the 8th when they went to the nursing home.
What struck me funny about that was, until the pictures surfaced they had all but forgotten about the nursing home visit and then realized that it was fathers day.
My question is, how do you remember that you took Caylee to see your parents and know the specific date but forget that its because of fathers day that you went?
Especially because fathers day is always the second sunday of june.
Because she took Caylee to see her father regularly and so it didn't stick out in her mind that it was Father's day that she had last taken her.

IMO, the family has come up with convenient "stories" when they thought it might benefit Casey, and the dates they've offered for certain of their tales could be arbitrarily chosen in some instances and very, very precisely chosen in others to negate something unfavorable to Casey. Whether the 24th was arbitrary or whether carefully crafted, I don't know. But I have no doubt it was chosen to benefit Casey.

To make any assumptions about the trunk on the 24th based on George having seen it, we have to actually BELIEVE THAT HE DID. I personally do not believe for one second that he did.

All the sudden, he comes out with a story that requires "revising" the tale from neighbors stealing the gas cans to Casey stole them (can't have it both ways, one has to be a lie); coming up with an odd reason to want to look in the trunk; remembering what time she arrived to the minute; the gas gauge broken (why she needed to steal the cans) but now fixed (why she didn't need cans anymore and why he took them back), etc.

I feel very strongly George's story was entirely false. Adding odd details to stories or too much minute info -- and throwing in something a little contradictory to a person's interests -- can be a way of trying to make a lie seem more believable. Not to mention that he appeared to be extremely uncomfortable trying to sell that story to Greta.

Casey's alleged reluctance to open the trunk, then it being opened and nothing nefarious found -- "Oh, she was just trying to hide that she'd taken the cans" -- is a whooooooole lot better than having people believe Casey was driving his granddaughter around in the trunk from practically the day she left til the day she abandoned the car.

So, there's that...and there's motive to want to establish or change a timeline to benefit Casey not just in terms of no decomp smell in the car at that time, but in terms of finding those gas cans. (As in, "Whew...now they're accounted for and no one can say she used them for anything bad or that any cans found at a crime scene burnt to a crisp and beyond fingerprinting could be the stolen cans; couldn't be -- took them outta the trunk myself on the 24th; see for yourself!").

To be honest, I am even doubtful the cans he purports to have removed from her trunk actually ARE his original stolen gas cans! And if they are, I think he found them in the trunk when he retrieved the car from impound...not when Casey supposedly dropped by. We also have that he knows who is holding his granddaughter (but they're content to let some bozo defense PI watch the house instead of calling on the FBI to help rescue her)....on and on and on...both he and Cindy.

Unfortunately, because the GPs have flat-out lied more than once, I have no reason to trust a single solitary thing they have said. And I don't think it's because I'm overly suspicious. That's just what happens when people lie and make excuses, change stories...they can't be believed even if/when they do tell the truth -- they should know that better than anyone, just from their dealings with their daughter.

One thing I do believe is that they adored and loved Caylee with all their hearts, and for their loss and the pain Casey has caused them, I am so deeply sorry. But that doesn't make it right to lie and possibly even tamper, interfere, obstruct in order to protect their daughter, when she is nearly without doubt the cause of their granddaughter's death (or even just disappearance if that's what they actually believe -- still wrong to try to help her get away with it or lessen the consequences for her).

I would assert that George's claim that Casey appeared at his house that day AT ALL -- much less all that junk about the time, the reluctance, the wedges, the gas cans, etc. -- should be taken with a humongous grain of salt. That actually goes for anything that comes out of either of the GPs mouths, IMO.

And the Nursing Home confirmed the date by the guest log.

IMO, the family has come up with convenient "stories" when they thought it might benefit Casey, and the dates they've offered for certain of their tales could be arbitrarily chosen in some instances and very, very precisely chosen in others to negate something unfavorable to Casey. Whether the 24th was arbitrary or whether carefully crafted, I don't know. But I have no doubt it was chosen to benefit Casey.

To make any assumptions about the trunk on the 24th based on George having seen it, we have to actually BELIEVE THAT HE DID. I personally do not believe for one second that he did.

All the sudden, he comes out with a story that requires "revising" the tale from neighbors stealing the gas cans to Casey stole them (can't have it both ways, one has to be a lie); coming up with an odd reason to want to look in the trunk; remembering what time she arrived to the minute; the gas gauge broken (why she needed to steal the cans) but now fixed (why she didn't need cans anymore and why he took them back), etc.

I feel very strongly George's story was entirely false. Adding odd details to stories or too much minute info -- and throwing in something a little contradictory to a person's interests -- can be a way of trying to make a lie seem more believable. Not to mention that he appeared to be extremely uncomfortable trying to sell that story to Greta.

Casey's alleged reluctance to open the trunk, then it being opened and nothing nefarious found -- "Oh, she was just trying to hide that she'd taken the cans" -- is a whooooooole lot better than having people believe Casey was driving his granddaughter around in the trunk from practically the day she left til the day she abandoned the car.

So, there's that...and there's motive to want to establish or change a timeline to benefit Casey not just in terms of no decomp smell in the car at that time, but in terms of finding those gas cans. (As in, "Whew...now they're accounted for and no one can say she used them for anything bad or that any cans found at a crime scene burnt to a crisp and beyond fingerprinting could be the stolen cans; couldn't be -- took them outta the trunk myself on the 24th; see for yourself!").

To be honest, I am even doubtful the cans he purports to have removed from her trunk actually ARE his original stolen gas cans! And if they are, I think he found them in the trunk when he retrieved the car from impound...not when Casey supposedly dropped by. We also have that he knows who is holding his granddaughter (but they're content to let some bozo defense PI watch the house instead of calling on the FBI to help rescue her)....on and on and on...both he and Cindy.

Unfortunately, because the GPs have flat-out lied more than once, I have no reason to trust a single solitary thing they have said. And I don't think it's because I'm overly suspicious. That's just what happens when people lie and make excuses, change stories...they can't be believed even if/when they do tell the truth -- they should know that better than anyone, just from their dealings with their daughter.

One thing I do believe is that they adored and loved Caylee with all their hearts, and for their loss and the pain Casey has caused them, I am so deeply sorry. But that doesn't make it right to lie and possibly even tamper, interfere, obstruct in order to protect their daughter, when she is nearly without doubt the cause of their granddaughter's death (or even just disappearance if that's what they actually believe -- still wrong to try to help her get away with it or lessen the consequences for her).

I would assert that George's claim that Casey appeared at his house that day AT ALL -- much less all that junk about the time, the reluctance, the wedges, the gas cans, etc. -- should be taken with a humongous grain of salt. That actually goes for anything that comes out of either of the GPs mouths, IMO.

spot on!

Well said Sherbie! What's going to be interesting is how this all shakes out should the state up the charges to either negligent homicide or Murder 1.

One thing Sherbie - what if anything do you think the implications are of Casey calling her ex-fiance Jesse Grund to ask him if she could come by and take a shower? The timeframe is very suspicious IMO. TIA!

Well said Sherbie! What's going to be interesting is how this all shakes out should the state up the charges to either negligent homicide or Murder 1.

Thanks, Dawn and Cagney! :)

You are so right, Dawn -- can you imagine what kind of ludicrous claims we'll hear? It's coming. Probably sooner than later, too.

I do feel so sorry for the family and have overlooked a lot and gave the benefit of the doubt til that benefit was stretched so far it snapped right in two. You know, had they just kept their mouths shut -- even if they were planning to fib/protect/whatever -- we'd probably all be feeling nothing but pity and love for them.

I wonder whether dislike and mistrust of the grandparents might make it even less likely for Casey to receive any sympathy-by-association she might have otherwise had a (small) chance of being shown (you know, people feeling so heartbroken for the grandparents that they aren't quite as hard on the defendant as they could have been). I think they've wrecked that. Which...now that I think of it...is not a bad thing, I guess! :crazy:

Nice to see you over here...always enjoy you at CTV, too. :seeya:

ETA...About the shower, that is just bizarre as hell. My first thought was that Tony had locked her out while he was out of town and she didn't wanna go home to shower because she'd be grilled about Caylee, the GPs demanding a visit with her. But I also wondered if it were because she was a bit dirty from something she didn't want showing up in a tub or drain where she lived. Then again, could have been a way to try to seduce or keep JG on her string, since she obviously seemed to enjoy that. If she knew he was moving, maybe she wanted him to take her with him, get away from all the "baggage" here.

I don't know because I haven't read all the way through the documents yet to really know what I'm talking about...LOL I plan to this weekend, though. I have several curiosities to toss about with you and others myself. Think I'll compile a list as I go.

Nite all!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back