Oprah balks at Hosting Palin

I agree with everyone that it's Oprah's show and she can have whoever she pleases on that show. I'm just a little disappointed in her. I don't watch her show (I have to work) but what I know of her I thought she was above that. If she's so afraid that giving Sarah Palin air time is going to take away some votes from Obama then she must not be so sure that Obama is the man for the job.

:confused:

Oh, and nothing turns me off more than a celebrity trying to influence who people vote for (George Clooney).

:clap: I agree.
I'm disappointed at it really does show her bias. And therefore, it's probably just as well she doesn't have Governor Palin as a guest. I would have thought Oprah could "rise above" her opinions, but evidently not. She obviously has strong feelings, of which she's entitled to. (and yes, it is her show).

Just disappointed. Then again, I got tired of Oprah years ago. :)

It doesn't bother me a whit when celebrities try to influence people politically. We all do that to a certain extent - they just have a more high-profile platform and, often, bigger mouths!

I try to put myself in Oprah's shoes. If I felt like Barack winning this election was a really really important thing, I might not want to give his opposition exposure either. That makes sense to me. Just my 2 cents.

WOW Sen. Obama was on her show twice before he announced his candidancy. She will welcome any candidate after the election. This proves she has no bias on having guests on her show who are running for public office. Let's see if she makes the Sunday shows. The lower 48 needs to know more about her. I am looking forward to hearing how she would run the country if it lands in her lap. I think we know Biden can handle the job.

Personally, I think S. Palin could hold her own against Oprah's questions.

Yes, we all try to influence people in how they vote. The difference is, I pay to be entertained by Madonna or Letterman and Leno. I don't want to hear any politics. They appear as if they think because they have money and people flock to see them that they know what's best for the country or have some political inside information. If I want to hear about politics I'll watch the TH.

I don't understand though why they said S. Palin wouldn't be doing any interviews. Where did you hear that? It seems to me that they would want to have her out there where the people that aren't familiar with her would get a chance to see what she's all about.

She had Obama on twice before he was the nominee if I am not mistaken. Oprah is a talk show host, not a news reporter. She can host whoever she wishes, IMO.

I agree. It's her show...she can have whoever she wants on her show. Same with Letterman or Leno...whatever...it's their shows.

People really need to take more responsibility for being critical thinkers and not just following the masses.

This is probably one of the most important messages that the American people need to get into their heads -- Critical Thinking!! We are living in an era when science is belittled by our president and critical thinking is discouraged by the fundamentalist Right. We need to move forward not backwards into the Dark Ages. Palin is unable to separate her pentacostal ideology from her politics. she has no business in the White House.

As for Oprah, I haven't watched Oprah in over ten years since it became more about her and pandering to her followers, but I admire what she has made of herself (I also admire Palin's successes) but Oprah is entitled to choose her guests.

It's Oprah's show so she can be as biased as she wants....however I too want to see more of Sarah! For the first time in decades I'm really excited about voting!

Plenty of tv programs everywhere available for Sarah....she doesn't need Oprah's.

Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m. Eastern time, Greta on FOX is having a special about "Governor Sarah Palin, An American Woman."

FWIW
fran

Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m. Eastern time, Greta on FOX is having a special about "Governor Sarah Palin, An American Woman."

FWIW
fran

Cool. I'm not voting for McCain/Palin, but I am definitely interested in learning more about her!

FWIW
fran

Will Palin be interviewed, although since it is Fox, I guess that doesn't matter.

Will Palin be interviewed, although since it is Fox, I guess that doesn't matter.

IIRC, it was a filmed interview of her back from last February, so not filmed by Fox or interviewed by Greta. Greta kinda "moderated" the previous film, but had snippets from those who have known Gov Palin for years.

My problem with Oprah and other celebrities is that they yield a lot of power over public opinion. Instead of reading what the issues are some of the public relies on celebrity types. This can only lead to a biased opinion. I agree the celebrity types are entitled to their opinion just like we are but to put before the public their own opinions to further their own in a mass media is overpowering. Also, there is some distortion as far as TV, Movies go when real life hits you in the face.

Some of the greatest heroes are your next door neighbors and not the faces on People Magazine etc.

Why would Sarah Palin lower herself to go on a celebrity talk show?
I'm hoping she has enough class to avoid all of them, ET, Inside Edtion, People magazine etc..

Oprah is a hypocrite.

Well she didn't avoid the newest People Magazine, as she's on the cover of their latest Double Issue. Plus EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS INSIDE!

I really used to admire and respect Oprah. I do not now. I also have not watched her show in years.
IMO, Oprah has gotten too big for her proverbial britches. Now she is just someone with WAY TOO MUCH MONEY and too great an opinion of herself!
Cried her eyelashes off indeed! Poop! Is she having a meltdown????

Well she didn't avoid the newest People Magazine, as she's on the cover of their latest Double Issue. Plus EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS INSIDE!

She was also on the cover of US Weekly and OK Magazine which are both CELEBRITY magazines that focus on celebrity gossip and usually have covers of celebs in their bikinis and grading who has the best beach body by focusing on how much celulite they have on their butt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nteetee
Back