VA - Justin Eberhart, 38, Portsmouth, 19 Oct 2008

angelwngs

Reaction score
http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_crimebrfs_10211oct21,0,2375439.story

Fellow sleuthers, I taught Justin Matthew Eberhart in both 2nd and 4th grade here in his small hometown. His parents are friends of mine. The article above says that Justin was involved in a domestic situation with his girlfriend at about 2:40 AM this past weekend. The girlfriend apparently called friends over. One of the friends brought a gun. The article says Justin and a male were struggling and Justin was shot in the chest and was killed.

Justin is no longer alive to tell his side of the story. Apparetly, the only ones talking to LE are the girlfriend and her friends involved. If any of you fellow seluthes are located in Virginia and can assist in seeking justice for this young man, Justin Eberhart and for his parents it would be so very much appreciated.

Justin was a handsome boy with a beautiful smile that lit up a room. He had an olive complection and the most beautiful eyes you could imagine. I can still remember 28 years ago, going to his parents home near Atlanta to take a baby gift and holding this little fellow who had made his father and mother's life so blessed with his birth.

His parents later move back to our hometown and I was blessed to have taught Justin during his 2nd and 4th grade years.

My understanding is that Justin's girlfriend had already gotten into the car with her friends and was leaving when the male friend exited the car and got into a struggle with Justin which ended wth Justin being killed by the gun that the other male brought to the scene with him. This is information which has apparently been shared by LE as 'the facts of the case' as they know them now.

My understanding is that LE is still investigating and gathering evidence in the case, but that no charges have been filed as of this date. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Your Fellow Sleuther,
angelwngs

angelwings, is there doubt on the part of LE over how this tragedy happened? It sounds like homicide to me.

Horrible situation and loss of life. I hope LE can assess this to make sure Justin's death is accidental and not a homicide. And, if determined otherwise that justice prevails. Prayers for his family...just really no words that can help.

angelwings, is there doubt on the part of LE over how this tragedy happened? It sounds like homicide to me.

From what I understand thus far, CaliKid, at the very least, it sounds as if it would never have ended in Justin's death had the male not re-exited the car prior to leaving with Justin's girlfriend (of a year and a half), with the gun this male brought to the scene, in order to further confront Justin.
At the very most, it sounds like homicide, in my opinion.

I am in hopes that there are witnesses other than the ones directly involved and that they will have the courage to come forward and share what they witnessed.

Horrible situation and loss of life. I hope LE can assess this to make sure Justin's death is accidental and not a homicide. And, if determined otherwise that justice prevails. Prayers for his family...just really no words that can help.

Thank you for your compassionate post, CP.

This has touched even closer to home for me as my own son has been in a year long relationship up until recently with a female who has serious anger management issues. I raised my sons to always strive for peaceful solutions to conflicts and to never, under any circumstances lay a hand on a female. My son's now ex-girlfriend has physically attacked him on numerous occasions, every time, in front of many witnesses. He has scars up and down his arms to prove her attacks. The last episode she threw a boiling plate of pasta on his chest and burned him pretty badly in front of multiple friends.... Finally, after several face to face conversations with her begging her to seek professional help, I told her if she continued to harrass my family and me with phone calls and visits trying to get back together with my son I would call her parents and tell them about the situation. The texting and calls still continue from her with her begging my son to come back to her and telling him how much she loves him. My son told me today that he was going to have to change his cell phone number. I agreed. I guess that I have no choice now but to be as good as my word and to call her parents. These young people are 22 years old!

It is not always the male's fault that there are "domestic situations". Domestic abuse is not always at the hands of the male. It is just what we most often hear or read or see on the news, because VERY few males share their peaceful, tolerant, passive natures publically.

I do not know what happened in Justin's case.

Whatever happened, unless the other's lives were physically endangered at that moment in time, I do not believe Justin deserved to have his life taken away from him in such a senseless, brutal violent act.

The gun should have never been taken out of the vehicle unless it was a life threatening situation of self defense, in which no other option was available to immediately protect and save the life of others.

I am so very saddened and upset by this and I pray that someone who knows something about the facts in this case will come forward and share that information with LE and that they will indeed follow through to seek proper justice in Justin's case.

Titled "Latest Portsmouth News" from The Examiner.com

Police say the victim of a weekend homicide is Justin Matthew Eberhart. The 28 year-old Portsmouth man was shot following a dispute Sunday morning.It .. ...
www.examiner.com/Subject-Portsmouth.html - 56k

I'm here in Portsmouth and heard about Justin on the news. The way it was reported by the media it sounded as if Justin had the gun and the other man was struggling to take it away from him when it went off. Or at least that's the way I understood it.

I really wish some of the neighbors had been witness to let LE know what really did happen.

I'm so sorry for Justin, his family and his friends. If you let me know just what it is that you want to try and do maybe I can help. I'm not such a good leader but a great follower.

Titled "Latest Portsmouth News" from The Examiner.com

Police say the victim of a weekend homicide is Justin Matthew Eberhart. The 28 year-old Portsmouth man was shot following a dispute Sunday morning.It .. ...
www.examiner.com/Subject-Portsmouth.html - 56k

That link didn't work for me (or maybe I don't know what I'm doing). I tried copying and pasting it into the browser but I got Portsmouth NH.
:confused:

That link didn't work for me (or maybe I don't know what I'm doing). I tried copying and pasting it into the browser but I got Portsmouth NH.
:confused:

No, Lizzy. It's not you doing anything wrong. It isn't a link. It was a quote off the main google search page which lead to to the news source mentioned. You'd have to google it yourself to get to it.

What I have been doing is googling Justin Matthew Eberhart Portsmouth to get all new links to come up, if you want to keep up with anything new that is reported.

Oh :crazy:

I just went to google and made a "google alert" so any new info that comes out in the news, a link will be sent to my email

If you don't mind me asking, what schools did Justin go to? I've lived in Portsmouth most of my life and have a nephew about Justin's age.

No Lizzy, Justin went to school in Georgia. He joined military and moved to Virginia after highschool. He was married and has a beautiful little girl. He was divorced and had apparently been seeing this girl involved for over a year and a half.

If you see or hear any of the names of the others involved in Justin's death would you please post their names so we can check them out here?
My understanding is that the guy who shot him was taken into custody but was released. It may have been that he was just take in for questioning and released instead. You know how rumors fly and media has not mentioned any other names to my knowledge.

Thank you so much for your help!

Are we allowed to post full names of people that we have just "heard" about? I think it's okay if it's in the media but I'm not sure. If I "hear" anything I'll PM you but if it's printed or aired on the news I'll post it.

I just sent a couple of msgs. to some of the posters that are on Meghan Landowski's thread. Just some of the ones that live here in Portsmouth.

Great Lizzy! I just got off the phone with Justin's dad. He gave me the names of those involved. I agree, unless they have been published in media, we all need to investigate using private message rather than public forum to name names of those directly involved.

Justin's father said that he is extremely upset and fears that the investigation is absolutely not going well. He feels that, had Justin had no one to speak out on his behalf, that there would have been nothing at all done to seek justice in Justin's case. The family is in Georgia and the people involved are in Virginia and until after the funeral the family can do little to help in the investigation in Virginia.

They have hired a lawyer and I suggested that they hire a Good private investigator. Right now they are just trying to get their son's body home and give him a proper burial.

It is so very tragic, they have been unable to properly grieve for the loss of their son due to the inaction of investigators in the case. Instead, so many of their hours of each day have been spent on the phone trying to further the investigation. They are deeply concerned and dedicated to seeking justice for Justin's death.

I'm here in Portsmouth and heard about Justin on the news. The way it was reported by the media it sounded as if Justin had the gun and the other man was struggling to take it away from him when it went off. Or at least that's the way I understood it.

I really wish some of the neighbors had been witness to let LE know what really did happen.

I'm so sorry for Justin, his family and his friends. If you let me know just what it is that you want to try and do maybe I can help. I'm not such a good leader but a great follower.

This is the problem immediately at hand, Lizzy! There are conflicting reports in the media. This is what is so very frutrating to Justin's parents and what has rendered them unable to properly grieve the loss of their son. They are in Georgia. The media fueling these conflicting reports is in Virginia. Until after Justin's funeral the family can only man their phones to help further the investigation to seek truth and justice for Justin rather than be there physically assisting in Virginia.

My understanding is that the male who arrived brought the gun. Justin's girlfriend was already in the car preparing to leave when the male exited the car with the gun and it was then that Justin was shot in the chest and died.

If this is correct, WHY did these young adults not choose to just DRIVE AWAY, rather than to further confront Justin and did so with a deadly weapon which literally ended a conflict permanently. The result Justin's life was permanently extinguished!

My understanding is that LE had NEVER been called to settle any previous conflict involving Justin.... Why end a dispute with a gun when there are other peaceful alternatives at their disposal???

I am heartsick.... over the death of this young man and over the pain and anguish his parents, family and friends are going through!

Wouldn't the police check to see who the gun was registered to? If they find that is the friend of the gf's then they would know that it didn't belong to Justin. The other guy brought it.

Just out of curiousity, did the gf call Justin's parents and tell them what happened? Has she spoke with them at all? How did his parents get the information about the guy bringing the gun and exiting the car AFTER the gf was already away from Justin?

I hate to say it but even if the police know the gun belonged to the other guy and he brought it, it will be hard to prove what the gf and her friends are saying isn't the truth. Unless the gun was fired from a distance or from an unusual angle where it couldn't have happened like the other guy said.

I feel so bad for the parents. I understand them wanting to wait at home for Justin but at the same time wanting to be here to find out everything they can.

I checked a few online sites (news, topix, etc) and usually after a story is printed there are comments. I can't find any article where anyone has commented. :confused:

I know you are very close to the victim and family in this case, Angel, and you are going to find it very difficult discussing it here. As you know, we look at all sides and from all angles. It isn't going to be easy for you or the family.

Just from what you have said so far and what I have read...several things stand out to me:

This happened at 2:40am. For them to be in a dispute at that time, the circumstances could include alcohol, drugs, or other reasons for them to be out at that time. What was going on preceeding the shooting?

It also sounds like her friends were called to come get her. One friend brought a weapon which does sound like she felt threatened by her boyfriend. If she were in fear of him and the friend was there to defend her life...it will be difficult to say it was a homicide in the end. It does sound like a heated exchange was occurring at the time between the young man and her friend. Who started it? Did Justin threaten him physically? Did Justin threaten her physically? Was Justin drinking or on drugs which would alter his personality or create more of a situation?

Why was Justin divorced? Is there any hint of verbal or physical abuse in his past relationships? Did he have problems with drugs or alcohol? Have there been problems in the past with this relationship? Sometimes the military can trigger underlying problems in areas of abuse. Did he have any mental issues? Anger issues? Jealousy issues?

I don't think LE has enough information gathered yet to file charges. They have to sort out the various statements and collect the evidence. It is going to be a case of either self-defense or homicide depending on what those statements and evidence show.

It is a tragic and senseless death. If she had called 911 instead of her friends then the outcome could have been completely different. I feel terrible for his parents and can't imagine how hard this is to accept especially being so far removed from the situation. You gave them good advice tho. The sooner a PI can get involved, the better for them to gather information. LE is not going to be a great source of information at this point until they get some facts lined out.

Wouldn't the police check to see who the gun was registered to? If they find that is the friend of the gf's then they would know that it didn't belong to Justin. The other guy brought it.

Just out of curiousity, did the gf call Justin's parents and tell them what happened? Has she spoke with them at all? How did his parents get the information about the guy bringing the gun and exiting the car AFTER the gf was already away from Justin?

I hate to say it but even if the police know the gun belonged to the other guy and he brought it, it will be hard to prove what the gf and her friends are saying isn't the truth. Unless the gun was fired from a distance or from an unusual angle where it couldn't have happened like the other guy said.

I feel so bad for the parents. I understand them wanting to wait at home for Justin but at the same time wanting to be here to find out everything they can.

I checked a few online sites (news, topix, etc) and usually after a story is printed there are comments. I can't find any article where anyone has commented. :confused:

My understanding is that the girlfriend has been in touch with the family. Also, that the people present gave statements to LE saying the gun was brought by the male to the scene of Justin's shooting.

Yes, proving this will be very difficult. Unless forensics show conflicting facts abou the distance of the gun from the victim or unless someone tells events as they witnessed them which conflict with statements made...

I know you are very close to the victim and family in this case, Angel, and you are going to find it very difficult discussing it here. As you know, we look at all sides and from all angles. It isn't going to be easy for you or the family.

Just from what you have said so far and what I have read...several things stand out to me:

This happened at 2:40am. For them to be in a dispute at that time, the circumstances could include alcohol, drugs, or other reasons for them to be out at that time. What was going on preceeding the shooting?

It also sounds like her friends were called to come get her. One friend brought a weapon which does sound like she felt threatened by her boyfriend. If she were in fear of him and the friend was there to defend her life...it will be difficult to say it was a homicide in the end. It does sound like a heated exchange was occurring at the time between the young man and her friend. Who started it? Did Justin threaten him physically? Did Justin threaten her physically? Was Justin drinking or on drugs which would alter his personality or create more of a situation?

Why was Justin divorced? Is there any hint of verbal or physical abuse in his past relationships? Did he have problems with drugs or alcohol? Have there been problems in the past with this relationship? Sometimes the military can trigger underlying problems in areas of abuse. Did he have any mental issues? Anger issues? Jealousy issues?

I don't think LE has enough information gathered yet to file charges. They have to sort out the various statements and collect the evidence. It is going to be a case of either self-defense or homicide depending on what those statements and evidence show.

It is a tragic and senseless death. If she had called 911 instead of her friends then the outcome could have been completely different. I feel terrible for his parents and can't imagine how hard this is to accept especially being so far removed from the situation. You gave them good advice tho. The sooner a PI can get involved, the better for them to gather information. LE is not going to be a great source of information at this point until they get some facts lined out.

Thank you Seriously Searching for your thoughtful post. I know how difficult this will be for me and MUCH, MUCH moreso for Justin's parents. (I'm am also related to Tara Grinstead by marriage. Tara's blood uncle is my 1st cousin's husband, so I have had to travel lightly in her case online...It is too painful.)

Your questions are necessary ones in investigating any case.

When I first read that the shooting took place at 2:40 AM my 1st thought was what my mom always told me... "Nothing GOOD ever happens after midnight."

She is correct in most cases....

I do not know the answers to your questions. (I'm not sure that I want to know them.) I do know that Justin was a wonderful kid to teach. I know that he was dearly loved by his parents. I know that he has maintained friendships life-long with hometown friends and they made weekly phone calls to each other. I have every reason to believe that he was a good daddy to his little girl. If I found out the answers to your questions about Justin, and they were negative, I would not be able to post them. I will NOT do anyting to trash his memory for his family and friends or to hurt his reputation. I can't.

My point here is to discover, reguardless of whatever the answers to those questions, WAS Justin killed by an accidental shooting, in a struggle, or was he murdered?

I have been told that the law had NEVER before been called about any domestic dispute between this girlfriend and Justin. If this is true, that fact alone makes Justin's death even more senseless...

I have the names of two of the people involved. If ANYONE here can research their past and see if they have any form of criminal record or check out their online connestions, MySpace Facebook etc... Please pm me for their names. Researching their past is equally as important as researching Justin's in my opinion.

We will not trash the people involved in public forum either. Their names have not been released by the media and they are not yet listed as POI's or Suspects. Please let's keep all names and negative records and information private, until we know that someone is publically considered a suspect or POI.

You are all free to search Justin's records as well, but for my sanity and for the consideration of his parents and friends who will be reading here please do not post it here if you happen to find anything negative. (At least, if you find something, PM it to me and wait for Justin's parents to have the opportunity to bury their son and physically go to Virginia to help find truth. Also, if you find negative and want to post it here, please let me warn Justin's family and friends not to view this site.) Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Feel free to PM me and let me know. PM and ask for the names of those involved if you would like to help to search for information about them.

Bump~ Please Help..... PM me for names involved in Justin's shooting to help do reseach, Please...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back