Attorney Seeks To Spare Casey Anthony From Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-casey-anthony-death110508,0,6113475.story

Submitted by defense to prosecution outlining why prosecution should not seek death penalty, in part reads:

"The crime was not cold, calculated and premeditated. In the months leading up to Caylee's disappearance, Anthony's behavior was described by friends and family as "erratic and not entirely rational."

He wrote that filicide – the act of a parent killing a child – is different than other homicides. The underlying reasons why mothers kill are complex and can be divided into various categories. For example, one type is a parent who kills under influence of mental illness. Another type suggests a parent's motive may be to save the child from real or imagined harm.

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates – a Texas mother who drowned all five children – was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison.
"

Is this an acknowledgement of Caylee's murder??

ETA: Changed thread title that was my question I was asking per request from mod.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-casey-anthony-death110508,0,6113475.story

Submitted by defense to prosecution outlining why prosecution should not seek death penalty, in part reads:

"The crime was not cold, calculated and premeditated. In the months leading up to Caylee's disappearance, Anthony's behavior was described by friends and family as "erratic and not entirely rational."

He wrote that filicide – the act of a parent killing a child – is different than other homicides. The underlying reasons why mothers kill are complex and can be divided into various categories. For example, one type is a parent who kills under influence of mental illness. Another type suggests a parent's motive may be to save the child from real or imagined harm.

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates – a Texas mother who drowned all five children – was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison."

I was just going to post this. Whoa!!! Why wouldn't he wait to put this out there until after it was decided the state was going for the death penalty?

It looks like he is probably trying to convince the state to not seek the death penalty. Once they publicly seek it it is harder to get them to back down. It also almost looks like they may be fishing for a mental health defense or a plea deal to take the death penalty off the table. Which I suspect is what the prosecutors really want. As the Andrea Yates case proved, no matter how evil an act, juries will typically balk at imposing the death penalty on a young woman.

The post partum depression defense?

WOW! Now will they get rid of him like they got rid of TB?

Juries are more likely to show mothers mercy. He mentioned Andrea Yates – a Texas mother who drowned all five children – was sentenced to life in prison. Susan Smith, the Arkansas mother who pushed her car with her two children inside in a lake, got life in prison.
"

WOW.....so are they going for the mental illness defense now? They sure don't seem to be proclaiming her innocence in this piece, huh. I also find it connfusing that they choose to send this at this particular time. It makes her sound guilty.

"

Hard to say with only three sentences out of 30 pages. I would love to see the full context. The "crime" was not cold, calculated and premeditated. Which crime? The not reporting her missing? The filicide sentence could be in a general arguement relevant to the charges versus the penalties usually given in those cases.

WOW.....so are they going for the mental illness defense now? They sure don't seem to be proclaiming her innocence in this piece, huh. I also find it connfusing that they choose to send this at this particular time. It makes her sound guilty.

....which she is. but still!

Wow. I can only imagine the story they are concocting for her. I pray that the story includes where little Caylee is.

Ah. What is this? Why on earth would this come out now? Are they indicating that they are willing to bargain? I don't understand what this report is or why it would be released. :eek:

I find it interesting that this statement is released just before the next big dump of documents!! I really have to wonder what those documents have to say! Between this and George staring into the woods.....

The defense team HAS NOT acknowledge Casey murdered Caylee. This all has to do with the "death penalty" and how an outline was drawn up with reasons why Casey should not get the death penalty should the State want a death penalty.

The 30-page packet highlights problems with some of the evidence, defines how details in Anthony's case does not fit the state criteria needed for the death penalty -- a penalty reserved for the worst of the worst homicides.

"

OMG! My chin just hit the floor! Is the defense going to try diminished capacity? Postpartum depression? You have got to be kidding!
I hope Lawson Lamar keeps the pressure on, and the DP on the table until she confesses completely and Caylee's remains are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77