Teachers suspended for Facebook postings

Although I think this is in poor taste and she sounds like an insensitive clod, it is the internet, isn't it? Doesn't she have the right to say what she wants on her own Facebook page? If she were doing illegal things, that would be one thing, but, as tasteless as this was, how is she breaking any rules or laws?

I want to reiterate that I don't condone what she did; it's stupid and in poor taste.

IMO, a teacher may be a human being, but, by teaching children they fall above the morality line. They teach impressionable youngsters and by being callous and derogatory, they fall below that line.

No parent in their right minds wants someone like this to teach their children...

Are you kidding me, if you post anything on the internet, it is not "private" anymore. If these teachers wanted their posting private, they could have made it so.

Employers look at these pages also. Colleges......too.

How about a posting of my "son's fictional teacher" with a posting like.

Got wasted last night. Drank my guts out and woke up with a stranger that I picked up at a bar last night. I had to hurry to class to teach the 1st graders spelling. I am so hung over....my head hurt and I don't want to teacher these little **** anything. I don't want to be here. I need a drink.

Then you read this and the next day you have a parent teacher interview.

Would you trust this person to be the best they can be and teach you kids.

Although I think this is in poor taste and she sounds like an insensitive clod, it is the internet, isn't it? Doesn't she have the right to say what she wants on her own Facebook page? If she were doing illegal things, that would be one thing, but, as tasteless as this was, how is she breaking any rules or laws?

I want to reiterate that I don't condone what she did; it's stupid and in poor taste.

The only ones I have a problem with are the ones who talked about hating the kids and talking about working in a ghetto school. Other than that, I don't have a problem with them having a social life or posting about it on Fcaebook.

I absolutely have a problem with what was said. A person who thinks that should not be a teacher, if that's how she really feels. If it was my kid's teacher, I would pull that kid from her class immediately.

I'm just saying, how can the school do anything about it legally? Is there some rule or law against posting what you want on the internet? As long as what you are posting isn't illegal in itself (i.e. child *advertiser censored*).

Sure you can post what ever you want on the internet.

But be prepared for other people to read it and make their own "decisions" on your character.

Many a person has lost a job, an interview, a job offer, college application by postings on the internet.

Just be prepared for the "consequences" of your postings and pictures.

Heck a man "phoned" in sick one day. But according to his "postings" the only reason he was sick was because he was up all night drinking. Guess what.....the boss saw it and he was fired.

So be prepared......private matters should be kept private.

What about a "posting" that a man says that he is attracted to a "child" and this person is a teacher of your child. No he has not done anything "illegal" either. But would you want this teacher to associate with your child in their classroom.

I know I would not.

So, CyberLaw, can they do anything legally to this teacher, other than suspend her? Can she be fired for "talking junk" about her students?

So, CyberLaw, can they do anything legally to this teacher, other than suspend her? Can she be fired for "talking junk" about her students?

If there is a morality clause in her contract, this could be cause for termination. Most schools want teachers above reproach to teach their youngsters, so this may be a common clause.

I don't think we have any such clause in our contracts, not that I'm aware of, anyway. There should be. Some teachers do stupid, stupid things. We're told every year at our first faculty meeting (before school starts) "Don't have sex with students." It's like a big joke, but the underlying message is, well, don't have sex with students. Because there are always those idiots who think that high school is a big dating pool for teachers.

Well, on the top of my head, I really don't think they can do anything legally to this teacher.

But then again, I don't know the employment contract, union(if any), or what the state laws are.

I would need a whole lot more information. But I doubt she broke any "federal and state laws".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back