Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases

Two that drive me crazy:

1) When someone says something (usually a color) really "pops." For some reason that grates on my nerves, probably from overuse.

2) "Emotional roller coaster" -- ugh...find a new phrase!

I'd also like to add the phrase "get your ___ on." It was funny at first, now it is just annoying!

"Off the hook!" is one of those phrases that I dislike. As well, "Baby" said in regards of anything "romantic" or "flirty". *shivers* Don't call me baby, this or baby that... ew, ew, ewwww!

"Off the hook!" is one of those phrases that I dislike. As well, "Baby" said in regards of anything "romantic" or "flirty". *shivers* Don't call me baby, this or baby that... ew, ew, ewwww!

Yeah, off the hook or off the chain are annoying. Sounds like they are trying too hard to sound cool.

So these oxford researchers had nothing better to do lol

The phrase I find most annoying is: "what I'll call......"

My boss and now one of his assistants say that as a prefix to everything. "What I'll call a telephone." "Will you order me, what I'll call, lunch." "I am, what I'll call, annoyed."

Drives me nuts! It is like some god complex that they are personally creating names for things as they speak - you know?

I'm loving this thread! My sister and I were having drinks one night and spent the entire evening doing the quote/unquote hooky finger thing to everything we said, just because it annoys the both of us so much.

I'll add this to the list, "This goes no further than here". Why do people say that? It's like announcing.....Juicy Gossip Coming Everyone Gather Around!

"That would be _______." What is the capital of France?" "That would be Paris."

"Myself" instead of "I" or "me." "Myself and Bob went fishing."

The epitome: "Who called yesterday?" "That would be myself."

What about the use of "firstly" "secondly" and "thirdly" as adverbs? This is horrendous, even worse than "irregardless.” IMO

Oh, and I guess I missed a “new math” lesson at school when I was younger. It was the lesson about the inadequacies of “100%” and how you could actually squeeze in more and obtain a value greater than perfect, pure, complete, and absolute.

Gosh because of this “new math” concept, people are reporting new heights of absolute with values of 110%, 120%, and even 150% for such things as commitment, truthfulness, and certainty. 100% has become less than whole; it is yesterday’s perfect.

While watching television recently, I witnessed the Grand Pooh-Bah of all measurements greater than perfection. It happened on a news program that was airing an interview of a mother whose son was a suspected murderer. The interviewer asked the mother if she had any doubts or suspicions regarding her son’s involvement in murder. She declared that her son was absolutely –hold on to your hats—1000% innocent and 1000% not guilty of murder. She also said she was 1000% behind him.

Wow, that is like 3000% all together. How could this happen?
Firstly, there is a man who is 1000% innocent, 1000% not guilty, and he dwells on Earth, amongst us mere mortals
Secondly, the man’s mother knows this to be true and backs him 1000%. Her level of faith is measured at 10x greater than perfect, most definitely qualifying her for sainthood.

Irregardless, after hearing this information from the mother, the police closed the case, and I turned off the television. Why? No one could be 100% sure that he was the right guy for the crime.

;)

The phrase I find most annoying is: "what I'll call......"

My boss and now one of his assistants say that as a prefix to everything. "What I'll call a telephone." "Will you order me, what I'll call, lunch." "I am, what I'll call, annoyed."

Drives me nuts! It is like some god complex that they are personally creating names for things as they speak - you know?

Egads, I'd have to kill them and end up on WS! lol! That's horrendous! :eek:

Another one is where they use your name when asking you a question, such as, "How's Roger today? How's Lucy today?" I always reply, "why don't you ask them?" :crazy: It makes you feel 3 years old, or something!

Egads, I'd have to kill them and end up on WS! lol! That's horrendous! :eek:

Another one is where they use your name when asking you a question, such as, "How's Roger today? How's Lucy today?" I always reply, "why don't you ask them?" :crazy: It makes you feel 3 years old, or something!

Oh yeah - How is Roger today? It just seems so condescending.
People who talk about themselves in the third person......I don't even know what to say about them.

I really don't like it when people my age or younger call me "sweetie".

Finally, yes I do want to kill them.....or at least just wear ear plugs or tape their mouths shut. It was bad enough when it was just the boss but now that his little 'mini-me' has joined in I just want to rip my hair out.

Oh yeah - How is Roger today? It just seems so condescending.
People who talk about themselves in the third person......I don't even know what to say about them.

I really don't like it when people my age or younger call me "sweetie".
Finally, yes I do want to kill them.....or at least just wear ear plugs or tape their mouths shut. It was bad enough when it was just the boss but now that his little 'mini-me' has joined in I just want to rip my hair out.

I will one up you on the sweetie, HON!
When did young people stop using Mr,Mrs, or even Ms???

Now I'm nervous that "I will one up you" is irritating to someone! LoL

It annoys me when people say "in my minds eye..."

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. Just spit out the plan, stop adding on "In my minds eye" before you tell me every single thing you're thinking. I'm gonna poke your mind's eye with a spork if you keep it up!

Then there's those people who end a statement with "but" all drawn out as if there's something else really dramatic to say to an otherwise average conversation. It never fails though, it turns out there's nothing more to say after all. Every time people end a statement with a sigh and but at the same time..... I always get snippy and say "But what!?" How am I supposed to know they're done saying whatever was in their mind's eye if they keep saying "buuuutttt" at the end of it all?

Haha I have actually spoken to people who use the "what I call" phrase, that is so annoying. It always seems as if the person does the whole vague wave of the hands too as if they're searching for the right word. "Do you know where the, what I call, pencils are?"

Once I snapped back with "You know what? I call it the same thing! OHMYGOSH can you imagine!? It's like we're on the same wavelength or something! Get out of my head!" Haven't seen that person in a long while now that I think about it haha

I hate, hate HATE when people add "you know what I mean" after every other sentence-BLECH!

Oh, and I guess I missed a “new math” lesson at school when I was younger. It was the lesson about the inadequacies of “100%” and how you could actually squeeze in more and obtain a value greater than perfect, pure, complete, and absolute. [/COLOR]

Gosh because of this “new math” concept, people are reporting new heights of absolute with values of 110%, 120%, and even 150% for such things as commitment, truthfulness, and certainty. 100% has become less than whole; it is yesterday’s perfect.

While watching television recently, I witnessed the Grand Pooh-Bah of all measurements greater than perfection. It happened on a news program that was airing an interview of a mother whose son was a suspected murderer. The interviewer asked the mother if she had any doubts or suspicions regarding her son’s involvement in murder. She declared that her son was absolutely –hold on to your hats—1000% innocent and 1000% not guilty of murder. She also said she was 1000% behind him.

Wow, that is like 3000% all together. How could this happen?
Firstly, there is a man who is 1000% innocent, 1000% not guilty, and he dwells on Earth, amongst us mere mortals
Secondly, the man’s mother knows this to be true and backs him 1000%. Her level of faith is measured at 10x greater than perfect, most definitely qualifying her for sainthood.

Irregardless, after hearing this information from the mother, the police closed the case, and I turned off the television. Why? No one could be 100% sure that he was the right guy for the crime.

;)

I forgot about this one! So true!

My other favorite is "I seen." As in, "While I was at Wally World last night, I seen JoBeth with Larry! Is she cheatin' on Bill again?"

:bang:

Irregardless,lol!
My husband despises that word like nothing I have ever seen before in my life.
....And now I must go because I just re-wrote that sentence 100 times to make sure there were no words that were previously listed as annoying,lol.

I will one up you on the sweetie, HON!
When did young people stop using Mr,Mrs, or even Ms???

Now I'm nervous that "I will one up you" is irritating to someone! LoL

LOL I can't stand it when someone calls me Hon!!
I hate it when someone uses the word Basically every time they start a sentence.

Well since we are throwing in annoying phrases, I cannot frikkin stand when people say "I know right???" as in a sentence and not asking a question, and they say it after everything they say lol

anywayS

drives me insane

so does the misuse of the word "ideal" when they really mean "idea"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member