MD MD - Annie McCann, 16, Baltimore, 31 Oct 2008

Maya Love

I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
Reaction score
This case is local for me and it's one I can't let go. I've read most of the links I can find, focusing mostly on the comments section. So far, no more clues have been released- it's so out of character for this girl to runaway, I am hounded by the reasons why.

"The two portraits seem almost irreconcilable. A smiling, artistic Fairfax County high school student who loved her family and her beagle, Breezy Max. A troubled 16-year-old girl, bent on finding personal freedom, who ran away from home on Halloween and was found dead two days later next to a dumpster at a seedy Baltimore housing complex. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110703621.html
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.hermann06nov06,0,3298728.column
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=322069&paper=69&cat=104

Snipped from The Baltimore Sun:
She was an honors student who didn't show up at school Friday and was reported missing that evening when her parents found a note saying she had run away from home.

More than 30 hours later, the thin girl with auburn hair and a perpetual smile was found dead at Perkins Homes, her white Volvo S60 parked five blocks away. She had a scrape on her forehead, a police spokesman said, but nothing that outwardly suggested a cause of death, which is listed by police as suspicious and by the medical examiner as undetermined.
I wonder if she was drugged since there doesn't seem to be an obvious cause of death? I assume LE will take her computer and try to find out if she went to Baltimore to meet someone she met online or something. I'm sorry she felt the need to run away, may she rest in peace.

SieSie, i'm thinking she was drugged too..

"The Volvo was unlocked, and the driver's seat was in the correct position for someone of Annie's height"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110703621.html

Very surprising nobody took anything out of the Volvo; if it was in the projects.

Does anyone think it weird that the father:

"About 5:30 a.m., her father said, he stuck his head in her bedroom where she was still asleep and said, "Goodbye, Annie. I love you." A little later, before Annie would have left for school, he called the house to tell her that the Killers, one of her favorite bands, would be playing nearby in January. He got no answer but said he figured she was in the bathroom or walking her beloved 12-year-old dog."

Do parents normally call their children before they leave for school to tell them their favorite bands are playing months from now?

"snipped
Do parents normally call their children before they leave for school to tell them their favorite bands are playing months from now?

I find everything odd about this case. . . except this. I would call both of my children if I heard their favourite bands were coming to town. . .so this part is the only thing I relate to.

The parents saying the note was odd but definetly in her handwriting is the most alarming thing of all to me.

Snipped from Washington Post article: "Frantically, he called 911 and began searching every room and closet in the house, fearing he would find her injured, or worse. When police arrived, they found the note on Annie's bed."

I find that weird. Why couldn't he see the note on her bed, surely her room would be the first place he looked.

Snipped from Washington Post article: "Frantically, he called 911 and began searching every room and closet in the house, fearing he would find her injured, or worse. When police arrived, they found the note on Annie's bed."

I find that weird. Why couldn't he see the note on her bed, surely her room would be the first place he looked.

That is interesting that he would overlook it after searching every room and closet. Maybe he was just really frantic and overlooked it ..or maybe he put the note there.

Even weirder is that to qoute her father:

"Daniel McCann said he has been theorizing all week, racking his brain as to what Annie had been thinking and doing, but he declined to share his speculations. He has faith, however, that he will one day know the truth. "I have very few dots," he said. "But I believe they will be connected."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110703621_2.html?sub=new

Her father has been theorizing all week and has a few dots he can connect in his head?...

(WashingtonPost wants you to log in now; yet it's free)

Even weirder is that to qoute her father:

"Daniel McCann said he has been theorizing all week, racking his brain as to what Annie had been thinking and doing, but he declined to share his speculations. He has faith, however, that he will one day know the truth. "I have very few dots," he said. "But I believe they will be connected."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110703621_2.html?sub=new

Her father has been theorizing all week and has a few dots he can connect in his head?...
(WashingtonPost wants you to log in now; yet it's free)

I don't know that any posters have been able to connect dots either. It's strange that she ran away, and I don't believe a cause of death has yet been established. My guess is that this was an online encounter.

This is such a boggling case.. conflicting news reports about the note

"According to Fairfax Police spokeswoman Tawny Wright, local police were notified of McCann’s disappearance on Halloween night after Annie’s father discovered her note. “A juvenile report was filed at that point,” she said."

http://www.alextimes.com/article.asp?article=11088&paper=1&cat=155

Trino, i hear you about online encounters; i hope LE checks her computer and sees if she has a myspace or facebook. She could have met someone randomly online anywhere though =(

The strange thing is there were no visible signs of trauma on the body. Signs of rape, however, wouldn't be so obvious right away. Maybe she was drugged or took something herself, the perp panicked, and threw her out of the car. Guess an autoposy will tell.

SieSie, i'm thinking she was drugged too..

"The Volvo was unlocked, and the driver's seat was in the correct position for someone of Annie's height"

Very surprising nobody took anything out of the Volvo; if it was in the projects.

"About 5:30 a.m., her father said, he stuck his head in her bedroom where she was still asleep and said, "Goodbye, Annie. I love you." A little later, before Annie would have left for school, he called the house to tell her that the Killers, one of her favorite bands, would be playing nearby in January. He got no answer but said he figured she was in the bathroom or walking her beloved 12-year-old dog."

My husband tends to do that simply because he has to tell them while he remembers it.

From all accounts, she doesn't sound like the typical teenager.

From all that knew her, no one claims to have known her well. On one comment section, a fellow student questions how thin she was. This quote from her father alludes to what I'd describe as abnormal teen behavior, "Annie was not the type to go to a friend's house after school or come home and call those she had just left at school. She'd walk Breezy and then get into her pajamas and stay in the house," her father said.

IMO, she could easily have been heading somewhere else other than B'more, she may have gotten off the exit and gotten lost, which is very easily done in B'more.

A teenage girl show does not go to her "friends" house or even call those friends after school.

Now that is odd. Either she did not have many, if any, friends, or somehow she decided to "exclude" those friends.

Sound like she could have been depressed.

As far as I know there is not "typical" profile of a teen run away.

I wonder why the mother left early that morning for the college weekend and didn't wait until Annie and her dad could go with her? Why take two cars and spend twice the amount on gas?

I await the analysis of her blood and if drugs were somehow involved.

How many times have we heard that "the neighbor" was a "wonderful" husband and Father. But then "the dark" side that was to be hidden comes out, by a crime that he committed.

My sympathy to the parents of this young girl. I hope they get the answers they are looking for .

I don't know if her dad was involved or not, I hate to jump to conclusions like that about a parent without a little more evidence. I'm leaning more towards she was going to meet someone. She was a loner and a lot of lonely people reach out to others on the internet. I think she met someone online and went to meet them, possibly got lost (father said she was horrible at directions) and fell into the wrong hands.

IMO, she could easily have been heading somewhere else other than B'more, she may have gotten off the exit and gotten lost, which is very easily done in B'more.

I agree. Getting off the highway even to go to the bathroom in the Baltimore area is a huge risk. It is not easy to find your way back onto the highway as the exits and entrances are often a few turns and twists away. And it is very easy to end up in the wrong place...a scary place.

A teenage girl show does not go to her "friends" house or even call those friends after school.

Now that is odd. Either she did not have many, if any, friends, or somehow she decided to "exclude" those friends.

Sound like she could have been depressed.

As far as I know there is not "typical" profile of a teen run away.

After reading more, i really agree with you. She is extremely thin in many of the pictures; i wonder if she suffered from undiagnosed anorexia.

Here is another picture of Annie with her dog:
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2008/nov/05/fairfax-teen-found-dead-baltimore/

If she had an eating disorder; it could have contributed to her death. I don't bring up that she may have had an eating disorder to stir controversy; she was in fact very thin for her age. I myself have suffered from an eating disorder in the past (i am better now; yet my case was different than most and many people have a very hard time recovering). It is also based on depression; and can become a way of "venting"; the same way a drug would. Eating Disorders can be very damaging to the body and the heart.

Another poster mentioned a comment where someone a peer of hers had said she was very thin:

roxylinda13 said... she looked very thin. almost as if she had an eating disorder. i was very worried about her when i saw her for the first time last year standing on the english hallways alone waiting for class to start like she always did. after school, she always walked around the school with this boy this year. maybe the police should ask him if she has ever told him of her problems at home and why she wanted to be free. i think deep inside annie really needed help. her and i weren't so close but she did seem very nice because a cute smile was always on her face. those who know her....was she anorexic or anything?
R.I.P Annie west potomac will miss you
Thu Nov 06, 06:06:00 PM EST
openid16-rounded.gif
rebeccalynn12 said... annie did not have a eating disorder she was just a thin person and how dare you even suggest dat i think that is very rude and discoruteous annie was a very talented artistic person i KNOW THIS BECAUSE I ACTUALLY KNEW HER!!!
I WILL MISS YOU ANNIE MCCANN
Sat Nov 08, 07:57:00 PM ESThttp://baltimorecrime.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-on-annie-mccann-from-pp.html

If any one can find out what her height was, please put a link.

That video was sad. The brother looked like he was going to be ill.

It makes me mad that no more info has come out on this- do they just think no one cares? I care!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back