the term neutral place

simonsmom

Reaction score
I found the use of this term on a website for couples counseling.

Neutral place might be one where KC doesn't have to be confronted with criticism, or made to explain her actions. Seems like the A's house was definitely not a "neutral" place. TL's place is "neutral" because he doesn't grill her for facts or explanations.

I think Casey's unusual speech patterns "remove" her from the emotional impact of whatever is going on at the time. I also remember her using the word "level" in one of the jailhouse conversations with Lee - something to the effect of "I am not level now". That struck me as extremely odd phrasing. Then, if I remember correctly, Lee said to LE during his interview "I am on the LEVEL with you". Is that their code word for "truthful'? So when Casey said "I am NOT level".....?

i took it to be "neutral place" as in away from prying CA & GA...and those pesky little questions they may ask...jmo

I think "neutral" means a place where no one would be overly suspisious, ask to many questions, and KC would not have to answer to anybody.

I noticed Casey used that word in one of her text messages to Amy. I can't remember what it was in reference to though. Maybe a vacation place? Not sure.

The Urban Dictionary shows several different meanings for the word. So it all depends on how Casey defines it I guess.

A place where she could be alone and think out a plan. No phone calls, parents, friends, boyfriends, no one.

I interpreted it as
Neutral, away from the Caylee memories at home and also away from the area where she did whatever she did to Caylee. Neutral, without good feelings or bad, somewhere she could just drift.

Neutral place might be one where KC doesn't have to be confronted with criticism, or made to explain her actions. Seems like the A's house was definitely not a "neutral" place. TL's place is "neutral" because he doesn't grill her for facts or explanations.

Yep. TL didn't grill her for facts or explanations, because he probably wanted one thing from her.

Imaginary Team Members: A Couples Counseling Perspective
Richard E. Watts
Sam Houston State University

Paul R. Peluso

Florida Atlantic University

The postmodern counseling literature contains numerous interventions that may help to create a neutral place for client reflection. Andersen suggested the use of "reflecting teams" for helping clients become more reflective in their thinking. A reflecting team is made up of individuals (usually other counselors) who observe and reflect on the therapeutic process that they are witnessing. Clients, in turn, then discuss their reflections of the reflecting team’s conversation. According to Freedman and Combs, an extension of the reflecting teams technique may include persons not actually present in the counseling session. Later, these team members may be invited to future sessions, and eventually the couple may be instructed to use this exercise at home to help them create alternative meanings and behaviors. In this article, the authors present a technique loosely based on the reflective team approach for use with couples.

When the video of KC and TL at Blockbuster came out I remembered her saying she went to a neutral place.

I believe the perps(kc) definition of neutral is
tone's apt
various nightclubs
tattoo parlors
trgt stores
parties

I think Casey's unusual speech patterns "remove" her from the emotional impact of whatever is going on at the time. I also remember her using the word "level" in one of the jailhouse conversations with Lee - something to the effect of "I am not level now". That struck me as extremely odd phrasing. Then, if I remember correctly, Lee said to LE during his interview "I am on the LEVEL with you". Is that their code word for "truthful'? So when Casey said "I am NOT level".....?

I think people listened more carefully & decided she actually said, "on that level."

I think it means somewhere where there's no discussion about her family life.....

Lee might sometimes take the parent's side especially if it came to Caylee, so I don't think she'd feel he's "neutral."

Her 'old' friends also knew her family well so they might not ALWAYS feel 'neutral' to Casey.

I think it would have to be somewhere where she has more casual or newer relationships.

Wonder if it was term=setting advice given to CA from the therapist she was seeing?
Neutral places are often suggested for volatile relationships of any kind.

it really isn't a word or phrase that would be heard in everyday conversations - it IMO is a term that one would hear in therapy, some sort of therapy or said by a doctor, psychologist or psychiatrist and possibly a medical dr. And when you hear KC say it, she didn't search for the word - it came naturally to her - IMO very possible that the whole family went to family counseling (sp) or KC went alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back