Mystery Cancer Cluster

I grew up in that area (around McHenry which is small and rural) and know it well. When the story came on the news, my husband and I just stared at each other with our mouths open. How unexpected! Its a tragedy regardless of where it happens, but it was stunning to know it was in our backyard... and frustrating to hear the response from the company and their claims that its a coincidence...

I grew up on land that used to be a farm. I'm convinced that something in the soil,(pesticides?),had an effect on my neighborhood. I could go up and down the street and in each house there is an abundance of Alzheimer,MS,and cancer at young ages. My father died of Alzheimers and my Mom of breast cancer. People have been afraid to bring it to anyones attention as they fear their houses would be unsellable. Its very scary.

Well why the heck would anyone think that these chemical plants admit to causing these cancers to occur! Like, 'Oh we're sorry' .

I have lung cancer. It spread to my brain (which is normal) got rid of it with radiation. It's all gone. MY thinking here is that most of these people breathed in the chemicals.........which would first attack their lungs......than the cancer went to their brain. This could literally happen very quickly. Lung cancer is even hard to diagnose.....so by the time it mets to the brain......it's over... unless something is done about it! In my case I had Gamma Surgery, which is basically direct radiation to the spot in the brain. The cost of this procedure was $123,000. No kidding! My insurance paid for it. I am very blessed to have insurance. My radiation oncologist is listed as one of the top 10 in the United States.

This is such a tragic story. Probably happening all over the US where these chemical plants are!

xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

:blowkiss::blowkiss:

I know someone whose father died with mesothelioma & sure enough, he had handled asbestos at work. At the time, 25 years ago, the family couldn't find an attorney willing to take the case. There are firms now which specialize in such, but at that time few were equipped to fight the corporations' big guns..... I remember reading the CDC says agricultural & industrial "cancer clusters" were vastly under-reported but as data collection & analyzation methods have improved, such incidents are becoming easier to recognize & prove.

I am completely convinced that chemicals used on farms are what causes the cancer in our little town-also in Illinois. Illinois has a very high incidence of cancer. So far, I've lost my father, my grandfather, my great-aunt, and 3 cousins to cancer. 2 of those cousins were each 9 years old and brothers-that lived on my grandparent's farm-the same grandpa that died of pancreatic cancer. Currently, my uncle is battling lung cancer. To top it off, I've lost a few friends from cancer. It just seems like it's everywhere. It's a horrible, devastating disease and extremely heartbreaking to watch a loved one die from it. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

I grew up in a small town and wanted to write an article on the plant there then follow the progression of illnesses over a period of years. Many known carcinogenic chemicals were shipped in daily via rail. About 15 years ago or so, I noticed a dramatic increase in specific cancer clusters among people who lived there all their lives.

I mentioned this to the town's physician and he told me while he agreed with my stats...to write such an article would bring the town to a screeching halt with over half being employed by the company. I was strongly advised against it.

After talking to several people, they refused to acknowledge the chemicals as possibly being the cause for the cancer in their families and again I was warned not to bring it up. People are still there and still battling unusual forms of cancer. The general concensus among the people appears to be to keep their mouths shut and retain their town...since they are literally dying to live there.

Well why the heck would anyone think that these chemical plants admit to causing these cancers to occur! Like, 'Oh we're sorry' .

I have lung cancer. It spread to my brain (which is normal) got rid of it with radiation. It's all gone. MY thinking here is that most of these people breathed in the chemicals.........which would first attack their lungs......than the cancer went to their brain. This could literally happen very quickly. Lung cancer is even hard to diagnose.....so by the time it mets to the brain......it's over... unless something is done about it! In my case I had Gamma Surgery, which is basically direct radiation to the spot in the brain. The cost of this procedure was $123,000. No kidding! My insurance paid for it. I am very blessed to have insurance. My radiation oncologist is listed as one of the top 10 in the United States.

This is such a tragic story. Probably happening all over the US where these chemical plants are!

xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

omg wow. is your lung cancer still there? you are an inspiration.

Love_Mama is an inspiration. She is so loved and so much a part of our hearts.

The small town that I was born in had at least 3 cases of Lou Gehrig's Disease which is extremely rare. In fact I reported it to the CDC here in Atlanta where I have lived for most of my adult life. No one has ever gotten back to me but I didn't expect they would. I found that cluster of rare disease to be very unusual given the demographics. I am sure it is on the watchdog list though as CDC is ever watchful.

Back to cancer....I hate cancer! So many of the cancer related incidences where chemical plants are located are verifiable. There is a place in Louisiana called Cancer Alley that runs along the Mississippi River through several parishes that the big plants like Monsanto are located. Lifestyle plays a part as well but the push is a given. Monsanto makes RoundUp at the location....we know what that does to any living growth so you have to wonder if the correct filters are in place to disallow the bad chemicals to become active in the air. Vs. inert.

One day I will scan in my pics that I have taken of superfund sites. Then everyone can see what happens when a chemical plant dumps PCB's Lead, aspestos, etc into the ground, polutes the air, and contaminates the water supplies.

I joke alot on here, it relieves stress but there is a dark side to me too. This side has spent years studying superfund sites, taking pictures, and learning all about toxic chemicals. It was my hope some time back that I could utilize the information to make a difference, then I got sick. maybe I got MS from "disturbing the soil" maybe I'm just lucky. Cancer took most of my family and they where not the only ones in upstate NY.

Someone once called me the Erin Brokovich of Florida. Sadly I did not make a dent in my crusade.

I am hoping with the new President in office that he can make a difference because the other one was laxadaisial and turned his back on the companies that where poluting.

If you are ever curious about what happens to neighborhoods when dioxin is dumped literally in their back yards google mount dioxin.

I found this thread when I was going back reading the wonderful things that Love Mama wrote. She was very knowedgable, caring, and just an over all great person and touched many of us with her comments. I am so glad she led me to this.

Toxic Air and America's Schools

http://content.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/smokestack/index

"Children are uniquely susceptible to the dangers posed by many sorts of toxic chemicals because they breathe more deeply than adults, and because their bodies are still developing. That's why USA TODAY worked with the researchers and scientists at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and the University of Maryland in College Park to analyze exposure to industrial pollution at schools across the nation. The goal: To determine what sort of toxic chemicals children breathe when they go to school."

"Each refinery, steel mill or factory that emits a significant amount of toxic chemicals must report how much it releases each year to the Environmental Protection Agency. EPA periodically calculates how those chemicals are dispersed through every square kilometer throughout the country."

The link will open the first page of the special report. Just under the photograph, you can type in the name of a school, city & state to find out where it ranks for worst air.

The school where I teach ranks in the 3rd percentile. The school nearest where I live is in the 2nd percentile. :furious:

Scary and very alarming.

xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooo
mama

God Bless you, Love Mama :blowkiss: :) :blowkiss:

I grew up in that area (around McHenry which is small and rural) and know it well. When the story came on the news, my husband and I just stared at each other with our mouths open. How unexpected! Its a tragedy regardless of where it happens, but it was stunning to know it was in our backyard... and frustrating to hear the response from the company and their claims that its a coincidence...

Hi there. The link is no longer valid. I grew up in Hebron, what area was this story about, do you know?

Thanks if anyone can help out here.

Hey Tall Cool One- the USA today link still works and you can check the ratings of the toxic air quality of wherever you'd like. It's rather eye opening to read the stats of the schools you went to or lived near.

Our old house was in a 40% area while the schools in the city were at 2% and 4%- poor air quality. Now we are in the 97% area...

Very informative and scary knowing what we've been exposed to and what we've exposed our children to.

Yikes! The page is no longer available!
cymweb, is this happening in McHenry??? Which side? Which plant?:eek:
all these towns are going thru my head. Johnsburg..Richmond,...
please let me know. tia.:blowkiss:

Hi there. The link is no longer valid. I grew up in Hebron, what area was this story about, do you know?

Thanks if anyone can help out here.

That's what I'm asking TallCoolOne! This seems close!
good to seeya!:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back