Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20251172,00.html

Guilty to Drug Charge
By Ken Lee
Originally posted Friday January 09, 2009 12:30 PM EST
Ryan and Redmond O'Neal
ryan_oneal2.jpg

Ryan O'Neal pleaded guilty to a felony charge of drug possession in a Malibu, Calif., courtroom Friday, and agreed to enter an 18-month drug deferment program.

If the actor successfully completes drug counseling and other requirements, the case against him will be dismissed.

"Ryan was anxious to move on with his life with privacy and dignity and that's what we're trying to do here today," his lawyer Mark Werksman told PEOPLE.

O'Neal, 67, appeared in court looking calm, wearing a black suit. When asked by a prosecutor how he would plea, he replied in a low raspy voice, "guilty."

Also present was his son Redmond, 23, whose pending drug case was postponed to a later date.

Both men were arrested Sept. 17 at the actor's Malibu home following a probation sweep in which deputies found methamphetamines. A vial of the drug was found in Ryan's bedroom, police said.

Redmond, who has long battled drug addiction, had been on probation following a DUI and drug possession conviction in June 2008.

Werksman previously denied that Ryan uses drugs.

"The drugs found in Ryan's bedroom were Redmond's," Werksman said. "He had confiscated them from Redmond. He was trying to keep them away from his son."

This man will just never grow up, will he? 67 years old and still doing drugs. What a waste.

This man will just never grow up, will he? 67 years old and still doing drugs. What a waste.

What do you think of 67 year olds who drink alcohol? Is that a better drug because it's legal?

The article states that Ryan pled guilty to get this behind him, but that the drugs were ones he had confiscated from his son, who has a well-documented drug problem. I don't know if that is true or not, but I think it could be.

Cool, I think he's a loser mainly because all his children have had major drug problems. I think he's one because I don't believe that the drugs this time were his son's, I think they were his....he too has a history of drug abuse. If the drugs weren't his but he still pleaded guilty I think that makes him a loser too. If the drugs were his son's and they were in his home, he wasn't doing a very good job helping Redmond stay clean. Plus I think he's one because of the way he treated Farrah in the past (and maybe still is). I had repeated contact with both him and Farrah (mostly Farrah) years ago and they were rude, mean and nasty. Stuck up.

I think the son is a loser because of his repeated drug use. He's practically had the world at his feet, saw what drugs did to his siblings and still went down that path....that makes him a loser to me.

You can't possibility think he's Father of the Year do you? :waitasec:

What do you think of 67 year olds who drink alcohol? Is that a better drug because it's legal?

The article states that Ryan pled guilty to get this behind him, but that the drugs were ones he had confiscated from his son, who has a well-documented drug problem. I don't know if that is true or not, but I think it could be.

Hi SCM, I understand what you're saying.:blowkiss:

I read Tatum O'Neils book and I have to say, if she's telling the truth, drugs or no drugs, Ryan O'Neil is a complete and utter loser. He was very abusive and neglectful with his kids. A total narcissist. I realize there are two sides to every story, but I also have to say the end results don't favor O'Neil. I lean towards those being his drugs. Again, according to Tatum, drugs have always been a big part of Ryan's life. Redmond never had a chance, IMO.

I read Tatum O'Neils book and I have to say, if she's telling the truth, drugs or no drugs, Ryan O'Neil is a complete and utter loser. He was very abusive and neglectful with his kids. A total narcissist. I realize there are two sides to every story, but I also have to say the end results don't favor O'Neil. I lean towards those being his drugs. Again, according to Tatum, drugs have always been a big part of Ryan's life. Redmond never had a chance, IMO.

I agree with you. In her book (which I haven't read) didn't she say he allowed her to use drugs along with him when she was barely a teenager? When someone has a predisposition to be an alcoholic or drug addict they really don't have a chance when their parent is enabling and a druggie/alcoholic themselves. Of course, there are those children that decide never to touch alcohol or drugs because of what it's done to their parent.

I hope Redmond can turn his life around (why would you even live with your father if he was Ryan Oneal????). I keep thinking of Robert Downey Jr. It took him a while but he did it. As for Ryan I think he's a lost cause.

Cool, I think he's a loser mainly because all his children have had major drug problems. I think he's one because I don't believe that the drugs this time were his son's, I think they were his....he too has a history of drug abuse. If the drugs weren't his but he still pleaded guilty I think that makes him a loser too. If the drugs were his son's and they were in his home, he wasn't doing a very good job helping Redmond stay clean. Plus I think he's one because of the way he treated Farrah in the past (and maybe still is). I had repeated contact with both him and Farrah (mostly Farrah) years ago and they were rude, mean and nasty. Stuck up.

I think the son is a loser because of his repeated drug use. He's practically had the world at his feet, saw what drugs did to his siblings and still went down that path....that makes him a loser to me.

You can't possibility think he's Father of the Year do you? :waitasec:

I don't have any problem at all believing Ryan and Farrah are jerks.

I am a drug addict (currently clean but with a history of relapse and returning to drug abuse) and I am just always interested when people consider drug addicts losers. It's a common perception (though not my own) and I don't take it personally - it just interests me.

I think addiction destroys families from the inside out - certainly it has done a number on this family - and I think that it is sad. As arrogant and obnoxious as this family has always seemed to me, I come from a family that has struggled mightily with addiction and so I have always felt a lot of compassion for them (Ryan, et al).

Hey, TG! :blowkiss: I've read her book too and I have always rooted for Tatum. Which came first for Ryan - the drug abuse or the terrible behavior? Who knows - chicken and egg question. I agree that he has repeatedly come off as a jerk and a poor parent.

I am always loathe to "blame" parents for the poor behavior of children - particularly adult children. But I do understand how Ryan is an easy target to blame because he is so very unlikeable and, by all accounts, an incompetent parent.

I don't have any problem at all believing Ryan and Farrah are jerks.

I am a drug addict (currently clean but with a history of relapse and returning to drug abuse) and I am just always interested when people consider drug addicts losers. It's a common perception (though not my own) and I don't take it personally - it just interests me.

I think addiction destroys families from the inside out - certainly it has done a number on this family - and I think that it is sad. As arrogant and obnoxious as this family has always seemed to me, I come from a family that has struggled mightily with addiction and so I have always felt a lot of compassion for them (Ryan, et al).

Wow, I'm really sorry for your struggles. I gotta say, I could have used another word besides loser but that word just always comes to my mind when I think of him. That's why I blurted it out there in my first post. I certainly didn't mean to hurt someone's feelings that might also have had struggles with drug addiction.

I've never had a drug problem, never known anyone who did but I certainly had read and heard the debate as the whether it's an illness or a choice. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into that debate but my lack of personal drug abuse issues is defiantly what made me call him a loser. Someone who makes a choice to destroy their lives and bodies and careers for a drug is a loser to me.

I hope that helps you see better why I shot that "loser" out there. I wish you the best with your continued struggles, I know that what you've chosen isn't easy...but it's so worth it. I commend you.

Wow, I'm really sorry for your struggles. I gotta say, I could have used another word besides loser but that word just always comes to my mind when I think of him. That's why I blurted it out there in my first post. I certainly didn't mean to hurt someone's feelings that might also have had struggles with drug addiction.

I've never had a drug problem, never known anyone who did but I certainly had read and heard the debate as the whether it's an illness or a choice. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into that debate but my lack of personal drug abuse issues is defiantly what made me call him a loser. Someone who makes a choice to destroy their lives and bodies and careers for a drug is a loser to me.

I hope that helps you see better why I shot that "loser" out there. I wish you the best with your continued struggles, I know that what you've chosen isn't easy...but it's so worth it. I commend you.

Seamaid, you are very kind. I promise that your words did not hurt my feelings. I am very okay with who I am - the good and the bad. I surely don't expect folks who don't contend with an addiction to understand it from the same perspective as an addict might.

Every person I have ever known has things they struggle with. I would rather have my struggle than some others I have watched people endure.

FWIW, I think it's fair to consider drug addicts "losers" - certainly the decision to return to something that kills you is not a winning one!:) I think many who struggle with addiction often feel like losers themselves. Additionally, as you and others on this thread have rightfully pointed out, there are other behaviors in Ryan that could lead someone to call him a loser.

Anyway - just wanted to say - I wasn't trying to give you undue grief - just more fully understand your perspective. I appreciate your presence on this thread.

Seamaid, you are very kind. I promise that your words did not hurt my feelings. I am very okay with who I am - the good and the bad. I surely don't expect folks who don't contend with an addiction to understand it from the same perspective as an addict might.

Every person I have ever known has things they struggle with. I would rather have my struggle than some others I have watched people endure.

FWIW, I think it's fair to consider drug addicts "losers" - certainly the decision to return to something that kills you is not a winning one!:) I think many who struggle with addiction often feel like losers themselves. Additionally, as you and others on this thread have rightfully pointed out, there are other behaviors in Ryan that could lead someone to call him a loser.

Anyway - just wanted to say - I wasn't trying to give you undue grief - just more fully understand your perspective. I appreciate your presence on this thread.

Hi Sweetie!:blowkiss:

Lots of alcoholism with people in my life and I find no real distinction with drugs, especially in the Hollywood set where drugs are oh-so accessible. I find it hypocritical how judgmental people are about drugs, especially pot, when I have observed problems that are more common and widespread with alcohol. That being said I understand the loser label for RYAN, he has certainly been an *advertiser censored*, but maybe because of the addiction. You are certainly no loser, and I know no one would think so, I have long admired your honesty and success in tackling the demons. We all have demons. Love ya, South!

Eve

Hi Sweetie!:blowkiss:

Lots of alcoholism with people in my life and I find no real distinction with drugs, especially in the Hollywood set where drugs are oh-so accessible. I find it hypocritical how judgmental people are about drugs, especially pot, when I have observed problems that are more common and widespread with alcohol. That being said I understand the loser label for RYAN, he has certainly been an *advertiser censored*, but maybe because of the addiction. You are certainly no loser, and I know no one would think so, I have long admired your honesty and success in tackling the demons. We all have demons. Love ya, South!

Eve

This is a bone of contention with me too, Eve. Alcohol is such a destructive drug, but people tend not to include it when they think of drug addiction. Perhaps this is in part due to the fact that it's legal and, therefore, socially acceptable.

This family (O'Neal, et al) is a mess, as many families wrought with addiction are.

I hope you are well, Eve - it is always a treat to read your posts!:blowkiss:

This is a bone of contention with me too, Eve. Alcohol is such a destructive drug, but people tend not to include it when they think of drug addiction. Perhaps this is in part due to the fact that it's legal and, therefore, socially acceptable.

This family (O'Neal, et al) is a mess, as many families wrought with addiction are.

I hope you are well, Eve - it is always a treat to read your posts!:blowkiss:

ITA with you and Eve about alcohol SCM. Btw, you are my hero. :blowkiss:

Werksman previously denied that Ryan uses drugs.

"The drugs found in Ryan's bedroom were Redmond's," Werksman said. "He had confiscated them from Redmond. He was trying to keep them away from his son."

If he was trying to keep the drugs, that police found in his room, away from his son, why didn't he just flush them down the toilet the second he took them away from Redmond?

Not buying that they weren't his.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa000ag
Back