PA PA - Betsy Aardsma, 22, murdered in Pattee Library, Penn State, 29 Nov 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the first officer was undercover and figured he would have a good idea who the key players were in the various student groups on campus, and if Betsy was involved with any of them. I don't know about SDS specifically but I do know a lot of groups along those lines tended to be overly paranoid due to gvt infiltration. --In reality they had reason to be, but there were cases where they believed people were gvt informants when they weren't. A good example of that was the murder of Anna Mae which was, most likely, a result of various members of the American Indian Movement believing she was working with the FBI. Sadly that type of paranoia exists to this day, and I'm sure there were many cases like Anna Mae's that haven't been exposed yet (and may never be).

So what about her ex brother in law? Did LE make sure that he had an solid alibi? He noted he'd spoken to her on Thanksgiving but he (or someone else from her hometown) had plenty of time to get to Penn State. I thought his explanation about why they wrote the letter asking that her killer not receive the DP was a bit odd - mainly because the police hadn't arrested anyone or named any suspects. I can see the theory behind the request but the timing makes it a bit suspicious?

Also in your experiment, what angle did you determine that she was attacked from? You stated it wasn't from behind, and I remember reading what you'd had on your page and it made a lot of sense -- I just can't remember :waitasec: TYIA!

I guess it's always theoretically possible that someone thought Betsy was an informant when she wasn't. But I would think there would have been someone else who might have known about this had it actually happened that way. A "true believer" would have likely talked about the great deed they did for the "movement."

The ex-BIL spoke with her, as far as I know, on the phone when she called her family to let them know she was fine and was back at school.

I think the death penalty letter was mainly because of her sister's involvement in Prison Ministry, since that was a hotbutton issue in '72 when the letter was written.

In '79 a postcard was mailed to the State Police's George Keibler, one of the original investigators, saying "You never caught the guy who killed that **** in the library over the holiday. We'll be back." It was mailed from a southern state.

It seemed most likely that she had been stabbed either from behind (very odd angle though) or from the front, at about a 45 degree angle, as though she was facing some shelves, someone came down the aisle, and she turned slightly to address them or acknowledge/see who it was.

I may not be around much longer, it's been a pleasure talking with all of you this past year.

I guess it's always theoretically possible that someone thought Betsy was an informant when she wasn't. But I would think there would have been someone else who might have known about this had it actually happened that way. A "true believer" would have likely talked about the great deed they did for the "movement."

The ex-BIL spoke with her, as far as I know, on the phone when she called her family to let them know she was fine and was back at school.

I think the death penalty letter was mainly because of her sister's involvement in Prison Ministry, since that was a hotbutton issue in '72 when the letter was written.

In '79 a postcard was mailed to the State Police's George Keibler, one of the original investigators, saying "You never caught the guy who killed that **** in the library over the holiday. We'll be back." It was mailed from a southern state.

It seemed most likely that she had been stabbed either from behind (very odd angle though) or from the front, at about a 45 degree angle, as though she was facing some shelves, someone came down the aisle, and she turned slightly to address them or acknowledge/see who it was.

I may not be around much longer, it's been a pleasure talking with all of you this past year.

I haven't posted much on this thread or others because for some reason my posts and even private messages are being ignored. I don't know why that is other than I may have ticked someone off. If so, I'm sorry. I realize I'm not as bright as other people on here when it comes to theories, etc. so I've probably said some pretty stupid things in my posts. That's why I don't post much at all anymore though I still read the threads. But I had to make a comment about the last line in your post, littlehorn. You mentioned in a previous post that you suffer from clinical depression. It just concerned me when I saw that statement, that you might not be around much longer, knowing that you suffer from that terrible disease. So if you want to ignore this, fine, but I just wanted to tell you there are lots of people on here who think very highly of you and value your input, not just on Betsy's thread but others. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you're okay and will come back and post on here again.

Hi, Mary Beth. I've been busy elsewhere and not too involved in posting on WS. But I know your work from other threads and you are one of my favorite posters. So don't stop posting your questions and ideas. You are appreciated, believe me.

And littlehorn, what MaryBeth said goes for me, too. I was worried when I saw that you had pulled your wonderful website down, and now you are saying you "may not be around much longer." I hope all is well in your life. Thanks for bringing this case to our attention as you have. And please stick around and help us think through this and other cases.

I haven't posted much on this thread or others because for some reason my posts and even private messages are being ignored. I don't know why that is other than I may have ticked someone off. If so, I'm sorry. I realize I'm not as bright as other people on here when it comes to theories, etc. so I've probably said some pretty stupid things in my posts. That's why I don't post much at all anymore though I still read the threads. But I had to make a comment about the last line in your post, littlehorn. You mentioned in a previous post that you suffer from clinical depression. It just concerned me when I saw that statement, that you might not be around much longer, knowing that you suffer from that terrible disease. So if you want to ignore this, fine, but I just wanted to tell you there are lots of people on here who think very highly of you and value your input, not just on Betsy's thread but others. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you're okay and will come back and post on here again.

I hope I didn't ignore any of your posts or PMs. I only really get to check this at work so sometimes I inadvertently miss things or get busy doing something else and have to stop. I haven't been checking much at all anymore.

At any rate, I never felt you said or did anything stupid, and was not now nor have I ever intentionally ignored your posts or responses. Sorry if I ever gave that impression.

As of right now, I'm either going to get better, or die trying. Working on a few things right now related to that but with my luck, I'm not optimistic that they will go easily or even right. Oh well.

Divorce may be in my future, for one thing...

And littlehorn, what MaryBeth said goes for me, too. I was worried when I saw that you had pulled your wonderful website down, and now you are saying you "may not be around much longer." I hope all is well in your life. Thanks for bringing this case to our attention as you have. And please stick around and help us think through this and other cases.

Thanks...Taking the website down was an early part of all this. Just kind of lost interest. In a lot of things.

Stuff's not going well but I'll tough it out. If you care to know what's going on in my life, you can read about it at one of the other forums I post on more regularly.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2647974/page/1/fpart/1

Hope it's not a violation to put that link there.

I hope I didn't ignore any of your posts or PMs. I only really get to check this at work so sometimes I inadvertently miss things or get busy doing something else and have to stop. I haven't been checking much at all anymore.

At any rate, I never felt you said or did anything stupid, and was not now nor have I ever intentionally ignored your posts or responses. Sorry if I ever gave that impression.

As of right now, I'm either going to get better, or die trying. Working on a few things right now related to that but with my luck, I'm not optimistic that they will go easily or even right. Oh well.

Divorce may be in my future, for one thing...

No, not you. I've never PMd you... but anyway, I read your posts on the other forum and agree with most of the responders there (the nice ones..lol) that you should probably see someone. I'm glad you made an appointment with your doctor and will try to get a referral.

I don't want to get off topic here so that's all I'll say except I'll keep you in my prayers and hope things get better. And I hope you'll come back and post on WS too.

(respectfully snipped)

TY for the info and clarification! It's awkward coming into a case like this so late in the game, and I thank you for being gentle with me and my clearly inexperienced questions/comments ;)

Your website was amazing. You made the case relevant and provided so much info and insight - it's really a shame LE hasn't been more receptive. You helped bring attention to Betsy's case and that's quite an accomplishment! But when it's time to move on, well it's time to move on...

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I wish you the very best. Just remember to take things one day at a time and to take care of yourself...
:blowkiss:

TY for the info and clarification! It's awkward coming into a case like this so late in the game, and I thank you for being gentle with me and my clearly inexperienced questions/comments ;)

Your website was amazing. You made the case relevant and provided so much info and insight - it's really a shame LE hasn't been more receptive. You helped bring attention to Betsy's case and that's quite an accomplishment! But when it's time to move on, well it's time to move on...

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I wish you the very best. Just remember to take things one day at a time and to take care of yourself...
:blowkiss:

Thanks, I do appreciate it. Got an appointment for Jan 7th to see someone.

The website was a great thing while it lasted. I'm just glad to see new stuff coming out about her case. It will likely never get solved, but it was worth the shot to try to bring in new info to the police.

thought I would bump these 2 Penn State murders together......

While working on my real job I ran across mention of Betsy. I find her case so sad. Plus, I guess I just find the situation in which she died so relatable. There were lots of times I was up in the stacks, working on an assignment or project when very few people were around.

How lucky was I that the worst thing that happened to me was the late night that I turned a corner in an old section of the library and saw two students having sex?

AMP: What an experience that must have been!

littlehorn, I hope things are going okay for you. Have you thought of creating a group or cause on Facebook about Betsy's case? There are a lot of unsolved cases on there, I think mostly missing persons so far but I think it would be great to make one for Betsy. If you are not interested in making one yourself, would you mind if I did?

Oh and littlehorn, I see that you went on the Missing Pieces show about Betsy's case in July. Awesome! I love that show. I've just been crazy busy and without internet access. Trying to get back into the swing of things now :)

Cambria/MB: Things are going good. Divorce is plugging along. I'm feeling 100% better. Nothing going on with the case.

AMP: LOL, I wonder who was more surprised, you or them? :)

Gina: Yes, I was on Missing Pieces in July. Check out the transcript if you can, I believe Associated Content has it up. Enjoy! I haven't done any more with the case simply because I don't think there's much more to be done at this point, for me at least.

littlehorn, Great to hear that you are feeling better. Divorce isn't easy, but in some cases it's like pulling an infected tooth. Painful but necessary. Wishing you well.

Mary Beth, Glad to hear from you, too. And glad to know the new handle. :)

littlehorn, Great to hear that you are feeling better. Divorce isn't easy, but in some cases it's like pulling an infected tooth. Painful but necessary. Wishing you well.

Mary Beth, Glad to hear from you, too. And glad to know the new handle. :)

Yeah, it had to happen. I'm working on sorting out the only two shared assets, the house and her car. Once we can do that and she signs it will be done.

Moving right along from there...

You're not alone, littlehorn...I'm going through a divorce right now too. Pittsburghgirl, I appreciate the infected tooth analogy...I think it's pretty accurate!

Here's to moving onward and upward!

I've got to credit the film "The Dark Knight" with helping me get the courage to do this.

I essentially had to become the Joker, and "introduce a little anarchy." I might not have done it had I not watched that movie and felt like it was saying something to me.

On a side note, the January State College Magazine article about Betsy is out, and it's fantastic...Just met with the author (my buddy) for a quick lunch on Saturday and got some copies. Don't know when it will hit their website, or if it will, but it's a great article and it brings all those things we've worked on but not said anything about publicly out for the first time.

I've got to credit the film "The Dark Knight" with helping me get the courage to do this.

I essentially had to become the Joker, and "introduce a little anarchy." I might not have done it had I not watched that movie and felt like it was saying something to me.

On a side note, the January State College Magazine article about Betsy is out, and it's fantastic...Just met with the author (my buddy) for a quick lunch on Saturday and got some copies. Don't know when it will hit their website, or if it will, but it's a great article and it brings all those things we've worked on but not said anything about publicly out for the first time.

I was a little disappointed Dark Knight didn't get any major Academy Award nominations apart from Heath Ledger's performance (which was stunning). It's such a great film.

About the magazine, I went to the website and it has the February cover on the home page and says the site is currently under construction. If the article doesn't appear online I would love to order a copy. I'm hoping I can order one from the website because I am so anxious to read it.

Thanks for the update. Glad things are looking up for you too, littlehorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson