Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cmaj.ca/contents-by-date.0.shtml

This link is an archive of the Canadian Medical Journal. My suspicion is that "Jock"'s parents or his father, disowned him and never bothered to report him missing or look for him. The father is most likely deceased now and has been for some years. "Jock" might have been an only child which explains why no siblings have been looking for him. Still, I don't understand why no one has tried to look for "Jane".

Here is my theory:

"Jock" was in FL and SC in August 1976. Had he been a schoolteacher, he would have been on summer vacation at this time. It would seem to make sense that he would be vacating in Florida and South Carolina. This was also the year of the bicentennial. Now, was he a legal citizen of the US? Or was he a Canadian passing through with his female companion? He could have been a native of Canada and a legal US citizen.

If he was a teacher in Canada and was visiting America, maybe one of the schools in Canada has records of a Jacques who taught in the 1960s or 1970s. There might even be a picture of him.

okay ive had a little time to search a bit.. sorry if the links arent clickable, perhaps you can copy and paste to browser.. the first link is the canadian program that featured the found couple in june 2008 was televised

Some tid bit of info i picked up while searching..im sure most is repeatative, but perhaps one or two could be useful..

lyn ruth connes -missing may 20/76 was off to meet jeff for a modeling apt
doenetwork case file 827dfca

357 revolver used
execution style
robbed of money and i.d but jewelry remained
no drugs or alcohol in either syster

opp# 20080158 (ontario provincial case number)
opp# 20080157

JPF initials in male doe ring.. all same size Bulova Acutron watch
koa campground.. male doe stated from canada, getting away from family, on way to florida, returned back from florida, intended to stay in S>C for few more weeks and did.
Male Doe said HE WAS A TEACHER, OR IN A TEACHING PROFESSION, his father was a medical doctor and they argued because he wouldnt pursue his or a medical career.

http://www.rogerstv.com/get.asp?lid=121&rid=51&sid=2520&mid=8&arid=51&sor=2&oth=1&gid=28086

The elaborate dental work on the young male victim also seemed a promising lead, but when Sgt. Mackessy looked for the teeth they were missing. A note in the file said they had been sent to a dentist for analysis. When they tracked down the dentist, he said he had given the teeth to the local school for training purposes. School officials said they had recently been disposed of.

http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t12233.html

Ms. Hutchison, the private investigator, scoured lists of Canadian doctors practising in 1976, looking for a possible father to the dead man. She found a Montreal physician who bore a striking resemblance.

Ms. Moore phoned him and asked if he had a missing son. He said he did not.

Anyone know who was originally assigned to this case?

There are two roadside crime scene photos that we have available. I will be discussing photo #2.
1. Taken from a camera angle in front of and to the right of the girl, and looking back towards both she and the male victim. Very natural looking photo except it's too far away to tell anything about the victims.

2. Taken from the opposite side, to the front and left of the male victim, and angled to include both subjects. In this photo are 2 live people, LE I'm sure, but you can only see parts of their bodies. On the left is someone writing or sketching on a tablet, a female? Between the 2 victims is a guy with what appears to be light brown shoes. What are they? Italian loafers? Wellingtons? Those short boots guys wore during that time period, the ones that zipped up the side? Someone make some guesses here.

Whatever they are they don't look like standard police issue shoes. Has to be a boot of some kind, not a loafer. No sock/loafer line is visiable. It is a man. His arm is visible, and a portion of him from just above the waist down.

Take a look at the male victim's hair. It is visible, and extremely bushy. THIS IS NOT THE GUY IN THE MORGUE PHOTOS!! These aren't even the same people in the face shots of the victims taken at the scene. I'm not sure why in this photo, the faces of the victims are so obscured. The girl's head looks repositioned, and the guy has the jutting jawline typical of an African American male, and his hair would be consistent with that, but his skin is pale. Could be the flash, could be they were shot for being an interracial couple. The guy wasn't white enough to suit somebody? Something that definitely wouldn't have set well in 1976 in So. Carolina. What if these people are locals? Anyone think it's possible they were from Providence or Dalzel, Claremont or Stateburg? Could it be the whole Canada spiel is just that, a spiel? Look at the guy's nose. These almost look like dummies, except his arm looks quite real.

We've got a whole slew of photos and sketches that don't add up, and that's hinky IMO. We've got somebody that went and covered up the deceased guy's shirt so that all anyone can read is Sumter. What's up with that? We have rings, but we don't have any shots of the deceased woman wearing them. A watch is visible on the guy's arm. I can't make out a ring on either hand. Why is it that the crime scene photos blur the faces when they're enlarged? Enlarge it, and the guy's nose looks like Pinochio. And yes, I am aware there are two other pictures showing the faces of the victims, but they don't look anything like the couple in the morgue shots.

SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. This case will never be solved, and we're just spinning our wheels unless we can get someone from the FBI to take a look at it. If L. G. Henry was fencing stolen cars then who was he fencing them for? I honestly think, people were being selected, and shot for their cars, and the cars then shipped out of state, and sold.

These pictures and sketches are an outrage when taken as a collection.

Where do you guys find these pictures? :confused: The only ones I've seen are a small one of the crime scene, sketches and one morgue picture for each Jane and John.

Where do you guys find these pictures? :confused: The only ones I've seen are a small one of the crime scene, sketches and one morgue picture for each Jane and John.

I know I googled for them. If you run a search for mystery couple + South Carolina + 1976, you'll get articles, the myspace pages, and pictures.

Venom, enlarge that small crime scene photo. You'll see the male victim's hair was very bushy, an afro style popular during that time period, if a person had the kind of hair that would bush out like his obviously did. Doesn't look anything like the hair on the guy in the morgue. I personally think it's two different people. Not sure what kind of game is being played on this case, but it sure looks like someone deliberately doesn't want these people identified.

Interesting:
quotes:
The case went cold, so far as their identity is concerned," said Sergeant Ray Mackessy, who is in charge of police evidence storage.

"It had just been in a box on the shelf, and it laid there for years and years."

Much work had been done and some mistakes made.

Perhaps the best chance for solving the mystery came four months after the murder when a South Carolina man was arrested for drinking and driving. Under his car seat police found a .357-calibre handgun.
Tests linked it to the slayings.
The man with the gun, Lonnie George Henry, was asked about the murders while hooked up to a lie detector and the experts declared he was telling the truth when he said he did not kill them; he was, however, lying about where he got the gun.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: from Mysterylover
"Lying about the Gun", doesn't make any sense to me, as L. Henry's brother-in-law had given him this .357 pistol 4 years before the murders....and the same pistol had been 'stolen' before the brother in law gave it to L. Henry...so WHY lie about where he got the gun?...I question the LIE DETECTOR statment..on what L.H. was lying about...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police were sure he knew more than he was saying.

"No charges were ever laid in it, and he has since gone on to his just reward," said Sgt. Mackessy.

Mr. Henry died in 1982, without revealing his secrets.
---------------------------------------------------------------

There have been many guesses over the decades as to what brought the young couple to Sumter County. Some have suggested they were in the Witness Protection Program. Others suspected they were couriering drugs up from Florida.
Victims of a deadly carjacking was a popular theory.
Others whispered that their parents might have had them bumped off.

"There are all kinds of guesses all really based on nothing," said Sgt. Mackessy. "It's like they came here from another planet."

Or, as investigators now believe, Canada.

"Even after all these years I realized there were things that had not come out and not followed up on.
It never came out that he said he was from Canada," Ms. Moore said.

The Canadian connection comes from a four-page report found in the evidence box, written a year after the murders by Lieutenant James E. Gamble of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

Lt. Gamble received a phone call from a man named David Batson who said he recognized the dead man.
Mr. Batson's wife, Janie, worked at a nearby KOA Campground, the report says.
While at the campground, Mr. Batson met a young man and woman who said they were passing through on their way to Florida. A few days later, they returned to the campground, telling Mr. Batson that they liked it there more than in Florida.
They stayed at the KOA for a couple of weeks and Mr. Batson shot pool with the man several times. He later believed his pool partner was the mystery victim.

"The man was called Jock," says Lt. Gamble's report.

"He stated that he believed the man had mentioned he was from Canada; that he had formerly been a schoolteacher and that his father was a medical doctor. He further stated that the man told him that his family had practically disowned him because they had wanted him so badly to be a doctor."

One evening as they played pool, "Jock" tried to sell Mr. Batson a ring he was wearing.
The ring looked "very similar" to one police found on the dead man's finger, Mr. Batson said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Batson's tantalizing tip, however, seemed to get lost.

"There is nothing in the file to indicate they followed up on that information about Canada," Sgt. Mackessy said.

Both Lt. Gamble and Mr. Batson have since died and the KOA has closed.

Ms. Moore, however, tracked down the former KOA owners.

They told her they kept detailed records on campers - including names, addresses and even photographs. Those records, however, had been destroyed when their home burned.

justthinkin....This entire case is very suspicious...imo..
Common sense tells me with this young couple staying at the KOA camp grounds for 2 weeks they talked to other campers staying within 15 feet of each other.

I've camped and never heard of anyone staying/living close to other campers for weeks and not talking and being friendly, especially while cooking on the charcoal grill.
Seems other campers as well as the workers and management at the KOA would have known the couple by their 'first' names and possibly where they were from and certainly what they were 'living in' there.

Playing pool in the game room tells me Jock was friendly and willing to carry on conversations..surely he spoke of his female friend by her first name..

just because David B. came forward 1 yr. after the 2 murders, doesn't mean the workers, office staff, his WIFE and possible long term campers couldn't have remembered them and still had a 'KOA file with name and vehicle license #.....with a case so horrible it shocked the entire state in '76 why don't we know their first names 30 years later?..:mad:

Okay so people staying in a campground were probably not from the area I'm guessing. How were they to know about this case if they weren't from SC? No cable news networks in that day and age. And not everyone reads newspapers or watches newscasts. I came from a family of news junkies but I know a lot of people who never watch tv or read papers who are well-educated (shocking, but true).

And re "David B"---from what has been posted here it says that the tip wasn't acted on originally-that's just sloppy work from the investigators at the time. OR perhaps David B was someone who was known to them and they just didn't consider him to be a credible source which is why they didn't act upon it at the time?

Guys this is off topic, but I thought it was interesting since Calhoun co. S.C. joins Sumter co...A blonde females bones have been found near an OLD crime scene..as usual, very vague reporting.
I'm beginning to wonder if crime scenes are being investigated throughly! Hmmmm!..:waitasec:
http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=9086221

And re this--I've reread the story at that link 3x but I can't find where it says that the remains were found at an old crime scene? :confused: And I'm not sure how this is vague reporting when there's really nothing more to report than the fact that they found a body and were treating it as a homicide. What else is there to say? :confused: I really and truly don't mean to be rude but I don't think that the case you cited in Calhoun County is an indication that crime scenes somehow aren't being thoroughly investigated in SC.

I would be interested in knowing if they ever identified these remains, but given the general DNA back-log, I bet they're still awaiting DNA results, if they were even able to get good, usable, DNA. I do know that there are still 2 women missing from the Columbia area, since the early 1990's: Dail Dinwiddie & Paula Merchant, but they were both in their early 20's and the article did say they believed the remains in Calhoun County were 30+.

Okay, I did some more research. The 1975 IMSA Camel GT Challenge race was in Laguna Seca, California in the spring of 1975. Jock wore a red t-shirt with this race mentioned on the front and Coors Beer on the back. At that time, Coors was only sold on the west coast. There were some people on the east coast who were heading out west to buy the beer to bring it back to the east.

I also looked up the yellow-gold ring that Jock was wearing. There is a website called The Brazilian Connection which has this ring and many others. If the ring came from Brazil, maybe there is a South American connection.

Also, I visited 2 Canadian message boards which were in French, but I was able to view the pages translated to English. Someone posted that Jock might have attended the Faculty of Medicine in Quebec before deciding not to pursue a medical career. Someone also speculated that either Jock or Jane might have been Colombian.

elliot, some good work there, but there was a Camel GT Challenger Race held in Sebring, Florida, in 1975 and won that same year by a former Canadian, Allan Moffet according to Wikipedia.

elliot, some good work there, but there was a Camel GT Challenger Race held in Sebring, Florida, in 1975 and won that same year by a former Canadian, Allan Moffet according to Wikipedia....:

justthinkin: Very interesting that the winner of the Race was a former Canadian, Alan Moffet, it's a possibility Jock knew or attended school with Alan Moffet..

With Jock possibly being a school teacher, and having the summer months off, I suspect he was traveling the U.S. enjoying the numerous Bicentennial events and races....

Lets not forget the United States Bicentennial was celebrated on Sunday, July 4, 1976, the 200th anniversary. :usa:
The commemoration of the Bicentennial of the United States went on for months and is remembered by people of the time as a major cultural event in 1976. It was advertised all over the world in newspapers, magazines, radio and TV...

Queen Elizabeth II of United Kingdom and her husband, Prince Philip, made a special state visit to the USA to tour the country and attend Bicentennial festivities with President and Mrs. Ford.

Local observances included painting mailboxes and fire hydrants red, white, and blue. A wave of patriotism and nostalgia swept the nation and there was a general feeling that the tense era of the Vietnam War and the Watergate constitutional crisis of 1974 had finally come to an end.

Disneyland temporarily changed its "Main Street Electrical Parade" to "America on Parade" and featured the Sherman Brothers' song "The Glorious Fourth". The revamped parade featured nightly fireworks and ran twice a day from 1975-1976-1977.....

Moffet was about 10 years older than Jock Doe, and Moffet did grow up in Saskatchewan, but went to college in Australia. He started auto racing when his family was still in Canada. I'd written all this before in an earlier post.

Y'all remember the third ring the girl was wearing, the plain one that had 3 depressions in it that were chalky blue in color? In one of the articles, I read that that ring used to have 3 stones. They were red, white, and blue. I wonder if that wasn't a bicentennial ring she'd gotten somewhere that very year.

Hi phenolred,

I was wondering when you'd be back to check the forum. How long have you studied this case? Can you tell me if you're the one who did the shots of the girl with the wigs superimposed? And do you have any info on who did the various sketches? Some of them look really different. I've been wondering if they were all police sketches or if some had another source. Also really curious about that one photo of the guy with much darker skin and a greek look about him.
Yes I did do the ones with the wigs imposed I had read somewhere regarding the names of someone who did a sketch, but I cant find it....

Hi, everyone. I first read about this case a couple years ago on the TruTV (then CourtTV) website, and wondered about it from time to time but never thought to research it further. A few weeks ago something made me think of it, I decided to see what else I could find about the case, and I found this site. I've been lurking for a couple weeks, reading up on everything, but I didn't really have much time to post until now (snowstorm here, so I'm off work).

I definitely agree with those that think something is just not right here. Whether it's related to a law enforcement cover-up, I don't know, but it seems like a lot of things about this case are just really strange. The photos are weird--with some of them it's hard to tell whether they're actual photos or drawings, some look altered in some way, and they vary so much from picture to picture that it sometimes looks like they're completely different people. I realize there's gonna be a bit of variation between morgue photos, crime scene photos, and drawings, but their features are even shaped differently in some of them. I also think there's too much being made of the girl's moles--they look different in each picture, and I think someone said this before, but it almost seems as if they're drawn on. In this picture there's definitely something weird going on with her ear...it looks almost like melted plastic. In some of the pictures the guy's hair/hairline looks almost fake, like he's wearing a wig or something. And I agree with justthinkin above that in some of the pictures they look almost like dummies/mannequins. There is definitely something weird going on with the pictures, and the fact that they all look so different has to be deliberate...I'm guessing there's someone that just really does not want the identities of these two to be revealed.

There are contradictions/details missing from the Doe Network pages and other descriptions I've seen. The girl is described as having "no surgical scars", but what about any other scars, previous fractures, or other distinguishing characteristics? I guess we're supposed to assume there were none because it wasn't mentioned, but in that case, why not say "no scars", rather than "no surgical scars"? I find it hard to believe that someone made it to at least 18 years old without scars of any type...why not mention them? Also, the description of her rings is a bit confusing. One is described as being a "feather scroll band with a jade insert". The stone in the feather ring looks turquoise, not jade, and why not mention the red coral stone? The second ring is close enough ("oblong black stone", although it doesn't mention the turquoise flecks). The third ring doesn't make sense, though. It's supposedly a "faceted band" that had red, white, and blue stones, but the picture doesn't match this description. "Faceted band" fits well enough, but it has three blue stones rather than a red, white, and blue. I thought at first that they could just be empty settings where there had been stones but they'd fallen out, but if you look closely at the middle blue "stone", you can see on the left and along the bottom where some of the blue overlaps the metal, as if the blue parts--probably just translucent plastic rather than actual stones--was poured into the indentations, if that makes sense. Also, the DN page for the guy says his shirt said "Coors America's light beer" on the front and "Camel Challenger G-T Sebring 75" on the back. I remember reading somewhere that the shirt visible in the crime scene photo didn't match that description, although the only crime scene picture I can find is too small, far away, and blurry (when enlarged) to read exactly what his shirt says. It does look like just one word on the front, though, possibly starting with an S (Sebring?). Anyway, I know these are all tiny, nitpicky things that probably don't have anything to do with the overall case, but if small details are screwed up, it makes me wonder what else could've been screwed up in the investigation.

I don't think we can take anything for granted in this case. They're described as having olive skin, which has led a lot of people to think maybe they were from another country. To me, there's a couple things that could mean. Of course it is possible they were from another country, but not necessarily. They were described as having olive skin "although they're white", so maybe they just had Italian/Greek/South American etc. ancestors, but were themselves American. I have several friends who are American, but have skin that could be described as olive-toned due to various ethnic backgrounds. Then there's the fact that it was summertime. Is it possible that they were just tanned, and someone mistakenly described their slightly darker skintone as olive? Also, someone recently commented that the guy seemed to look slightly African-American to him/her. Is it possible that "olive undertones" could be 1970s small-town South Carolina code for mixed race/part black? They do look quite light-skinned in most of the drawings/pictures, but given the variations between them, it's hard to tell which ones, if any, are even accurate.

Another thing that people seem to think points to them being from another country is the fact that the girl's legs weren't shaved, but again, I'm not sure how significant that is. It was the 1970s, and a lot of girls/women in that time period didn't shave their legs. I know people have said they don't seem the hippie type, based on their clothes, but if they were on a road trip/camping, it's possible they didn't have enough clothes and stopped somewhere along the way to buy more, or if they were with other people at one time, they borrowed clothes from someone else, so it's possible the clothes they were wearing weren't their usual style. (Another possibility, people have suggested they were going to the races because of the shirt the guy was wearing--it could be something he got from someone else because he didn't have a clean shirt. It doesn't necessarily mean they were into racing.) Or maybe she usually did shave her legs, but because they were camping, she just didn't bother. If they were showering at the shower houses campgrounds usually have, it's possible she either didn't have enough hot water, or she was in a hurry and just didn't want to spend the extra time. My family camped a fair bit when I was a younger teenager, and the shower house stalls were usually pretty gross and I didn't want to spend anymore time than I absolutely had to, so I usually skipped shaving my legs.

The name thing has me wondering, too. I don't think we can assume that his name was Jock, Jacques, or that his initials were JPF, because there are just way too many variables. First of all, let's say that the story the campground guy, David, gave was 100% true, both as far as he told it and as far as it was told to him by the John Doe. Everyone has assumed that Jock was actually "Jacques", but what if it was Jock? Given his scars and his athletic build, it's been suggested that he played sports. Maybe Jock was a nickname because of his love of sports, and his real first name was something completely different. Maybe he wasn't into sports like some people think, and Jock was a nickname for John, or it could've originated elsewhere. Maybe it WAS Jacques after all, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his initials were JPF. Or they could've been, but the J could've stood for something else besides Jacques. Or it's possible the ring originally belonged to a family member or friend and was given to him as a gift. Maybe he bought it at a pawn shop or something and the initials have nothing to do with him. Maybe they're the initials of the person who made the ring, and again, have nothing to do with him. There's been speculation that they were involved in selling drugs...maybe someone owed him money, and gave him the ring in exchange? The fact that he was so quick to offer to sell it suggests to me at least that he had no personal attachment to it. If someone cared enough to get their initials engraved into a piece of jewelry, I wouldn't think they'd be so eager to sell it. Although it could've been a gift from someone, and they'd gotten his initials engraved before giving it to him...if he didn't particulary care for the person, or had had a falling out with them, he might not have cared much about the ring, which is why he offered to sell it. Nobody knows for sure, though.

Then there's the possibility that the story the John Doe told David B. about being from Canada and his dad being a doctor and disowning him for not going to medical school is completely made up. Maybe the real reason they were there is because of drugs, or were in the witness protection program as a couple people have said, and he came up with a cover story. Maybe they were there for completely innocent reasons (just on vacation, or going to the races, or whatever), and he just liked making up stories and wanted to screw with someone. Maybe parts of the story were true, but not the whole thing. Maybe he was from Canada, but the part about his dad wasn't true, and he left for another reason. Maybe the part about medical school and his dad disowning him were true, but he wasn't from Canada.

The third possibility is that David B. was either lying or not remembering the story completely/correctly. Maybe he made up the entire story, or maybe he only made up parts of it, and other parts were true. I think he seems sort of suspcious. "He later believed his pool partner was the mystery victim", "he believed the man had mentioned he was from Canada; that he had formerly been a schoolteacher and that his father was a medical doctor. He further stated that the man told him that his family had practically disowned him because they had wanted him so badly to be a doctor" (emphasis mine in both quotes) and the ring found on the John Doe looked "very similar" to the one the guy had offered to sell him. I can understand him being a little unsure about the ring, especially if he didn't see it up close, but to play pool with guy "several times" and just "believe" it was the same guy and that he'd told him the story? That seems strange to me. It doesn't say how many games they played on each of the occasions they played together, but it seems as if they spent a good bit of time together, and I'd think he'd be more certain than just "believing" that it was the same guy. Also, the Canada/teacher/doctor dad/disowned for not going to medical school thing is fairly detailed for just "believing" that it was the story he was told. I also remember reading somewhere that the John Doe supposedly told David B. that the girl was his girlfriend, but as with everything else, we don't know how true that is. And maybe the racing shirt the guy wore was what gave him the idea to say they had gone to/were coming back from Florida...we don't know if that was true, either. Finally, why did it take him so long to come forward with his story? Maybe it was all a lie because he was somehow involved in the murders, maybe the guy he had played pool with was someone else who looked similar, or maybe he just had a bad memory and got some of the details wrong or couldn't remember for sure.

There are just a lot of things that aren't known, or can't be proven. There are so many possibilities when it comes to who they were and why they were killed. Maybe they were American, maybe even somewhat local to the area. Maybe they were from Canada, maybe they were from another country. Maybe they were brother and sister (I do think they look quite alike in certain pictures). Maybe they were a couple. Maybe they were in witness protection for some reason. Maybe they were undercover law enforcement, as someone else has said. Maybe they were involved with drugs somehow (I remember reading that there were no drugs in their systems when they died, but I don't know how far back the tests would've been able to tell...maybe they hadn't done any recently, or maybe they sold them but didn't do any themselves) and were killed because of it...there are about a million reasons why selling drugs could lead to being murdered. They owed someone money, someone was high and got violent, etc. Maybe they were involved in racing, and some sort of illegal activities related to it...maybe someone was cheating and they knew. I don't know much about racing back then (or even now), but I'm assuming the winners probably won a good amount of money. There could be a lot of cash on the line if it was revealed that someone had cheated somehow. Maybe it was a simple robbery, and they were killed for their money. Maybe they were killed for their car. Maybe there was something about their relationship that people didn't approve of (maybe they were different races, or if they were somewhat local, people knew that there was a class difference, or their families hated each other for some reason, or something). Maybe it was racially-based (not anything to do with their relationship, but because of their olive-toned skin they were looked at as "foreigners"...I'm betting small-town South Carolina in the 70s had plenty of racists). Maybe they stumbled onto something they weren't supposed to know about (could be any number of things), and it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lonnie Henry definitely seemed like a suspect. Even if he did have an alibi for the murder as he said, I think he probably knew who killed them and was covering for them for some reason. And the more I think about it, things about David B. don't seem to add up, either...I'm starting to think he was involved in some way, as well. And what about the truck driver that found them? I'm guessing not, since I don't think I've read anything to suggest it, but is there any way he was somehow involved?

It seems unbelievable that they haven't been identified in 32 years, surely someone would've been looking for them, but there are several possible reasons. Maybe their families had disowned them. Maybe their families did look for them, but for whatever reason didn't find them (maybe the photos/drawings and descriptions are completely different than what they were like in life, purposely or not, and the families didn't realize who they were...maybe the families didn't think to look for them in a different country, or even state, if it was far enough away), and are dead now. Maybe they didn't have any living family members, or didn't know who they were. It's possible they could've left some sort of orphanage/home once they reached 18 and didn't keep in contact with anyone there, so no one would've known to look for them. Maybe they were in the witness protection program, and their families, if they're still alive, don't even know they're dead. Maybe they were some sort of law enforcement, and were killed because of what they were investigating...maybe the people (or one of them or some of them) involved are still alive, and whatever illegal activity was going on then is still going on today. Maybe there IS a cover-up on the part of local law enforcement like a lot of people think, but not for the reason they think. If they were in witness protection or in law enforcement themselves, it's possible that local law enforcement are keeping their identities hidden to prevent other people from being hurt/killed if the killer(s) is/are still alive. I'm not sure how it would all fit together, or how likely it is (probably not very), but it's a theory. Maybe no one is looking for them because their families already know they're dead. Maybe they were locals, and family members are keeping/kept quiet because they were intimidated by threats from the killers. I could see them saying something like "They're already dead, you can't do anything about it, so keep your mouth shut or you're next" and they were too afraid to say anything. Or maybe a family member or members were involved in the murders.

If they were camping/hitchhiking, surely they would've had more belongings than just the clothes on their backs. They must've had each had a backpack or something, or at least a wallet and purse. What happened to these things? If they had a vehicle, I could see leaving their backpacks there while they went for a walk, but you'd think they'd at least take their wallet/purse with them. They ate fruit/ice cream not long before they died, so they must've had money with them. If they were killed for money, it'd be gone of course, but why take anything else unless the killer specifically didn't want their identities known? I think it's probably most likely that they had a vehicle of some sort at one point or another, and whatever belongings they had with them were in it. So I can see certain things being missing (like extra clothes, and bath/shower items like shampoo or soap or a hairbrush or whatever), but it still seems like they should've had something on them, a wallet or purse or something that would've had ID in it, and I can't see a reason to take it unless it was important that their identities be kept secret. Add the fact that it's been 30+ years and no one is any closer to knowing who they were than when they were first killed...someone doesn't want anyone to find out who they were, whether that someone is the killer or local law enforcement, or both.

I hate to say this, but I'm not sure that this case will ever be solved. There are too many things that don't make sense, too many things we don't know, too many things that we have no way of ever knowing so long after the fact. There are too many things that suggest someone wants this to stay secret, too many things that just can't be coincidence: no one remembers/remembered anything except for a guy who "believed" he remembered the guy, but no one had any way of corroborating his story, the teeth that could possibly give some clues were thrown away, the KOA records that supposedly would've had their names, addresses, and possibly even photographs were lost in a fire, and the DNA that could also possibly give some clues has been on the backburner for +1 year...what are the chances that it will eventually be conveniently lost as well? It's just so frustrating and sad to think that these people could still have family members somewhere wondering what happened to them.

Continuing from above...my first post was actually too long...

That said, I've spent the past couple weeks whenever I had a couple hours free scouring every single page in the Doe Network database, and have come up with a few possible matches:

Michael Mansfield (He looks familiar, but I've been looking at the pictures so long I don't know if it's because he looks like the John Doe or because he reminds me of someone I know.)
Lynn Ruth Connes (I can't remember if she was ever ruled out, but I think she seems the most likely.)
Phyllis Eleanor Berry (She doesn't look as similar as some of the others, but the description fits pretty well, and with all the pictures looking so different, who knows.)
Mary Rachel Trlica (Probably unlikely since a lot of the details don't match, but in the first picture I think she looks like a combination of a few of the different Jane Doe pictures.)
Sherry Jean Pickle (This picture is kind of goofy, but she would've been four years older, and I think there's a definite resemblance, at least to some of the pictures.)
Jan Andre Cotta (I think she was ruled out because of the pregnancy, but it does say "reportedly", like there's some doubt.)
Alice Mae Vanalstine (The stats are slightly off and the picture's blurry, but maybe a possibility?)
Margarete Olbrich (The eyebrows are different, but I think the face is similar otherwise.)

Anyway, I think that about covers everything I've been thinking, and I'm sorry if I've gotten any of the details wrong. I've been reading a lot of different things lately so it's possible I could've gotten a couple things confused with another case.

Tara, the key to IDing the Jane Doe in this case are the two moles on her face. So far, most of the possiblilites have been ruled out because they lacked that characteristic.

TaraONeill...Excellent summary of this entire case.
I'm quoting one of your last paragraphs below that says it all.
What are the ODDS that all this could be 'overlooked', 'not followed-up on' or just plain 'Lost'?? :waitasec: imo..a Million to One! :censored:

Quote;
I hate to say this, but I'm not sure that this case will ever be solved.
There are too many things that don't make sense, too many things we don't know, too many things that we have no way of ever knowing so long after the fact.

There are too many things that suggest someone wants this to stay secret, too many things that just can't be coincidence:

no one remembers/remembered anything except for a guy who "believed" he remembered the guy, but no one had any way of corroborating his story,

the teeth that could possibly give some clues were thrown away,

the KOA records that supposedly would've had their names, addresses, and possibly even photographs were lost in a fire,

and the DNA that could also possibly give some clues has been on the backburner for +1 year...
what are the chances that it will eventually be conveniently lost as well?

It's just so frustrating and sad to think that these people could still have family members somewhere wondering what happened to them.

Tara, I concur. Excellent summary. I've cycled through many a possibility as to the id of the victims, and am now thinking they were somewhat local.

My present theory is that they were Lumbee Indians from Robeson Co., NC area which is just up Hwy 95 from where they were murdered. I also think it likely they ran into trouble in Florence County, and were taken across the county line, and shot in Sumter by someone who knew the area well.

I think the couple are what was once called tri-racial isolates, a mixture of European, Native American, and African-American heritage.

Someone in LE must have thought the same because one of the retired investigators sent the material on the case to another retired officer from NC.

Locklear is a very common last name among the Lumbees. That this couple was found on Locklear Rd. may have held some meaning to the killer/s.

I think we need to establish contact with LE so some of our questions can be accurately answered. I know PhenolRed was in contact with Verna Moore. Anyone else willing to make a contact with the LE overlooking this case? I would, but unfortunately I've got way too much going one. I go days without reading email and I often can't answer my cell phone because I'm in classes or at work.

Guys,
Do we all agree that there was 'likely' a cover-up or intentional lack of investigation by LE/ sheriffs depts.? What are the reasons someone in LE would cover this up for 30 yrs.??

Should we make a list of the 'reasons' this couple's identities would have been covered up and L. Henry not prosecuted on at least one Felony?

Number one is one of my Far-far Out theories:
1..Jock was working 'undercover' to discover some 'organized' illegal activity with a group of people in the S.C. area, and Jock had discovered that LE was involved....

While Jock and the Girl was away from the KOA, Someone searched through Jock's belongings ( I suspect David B. as that person) and
found his badge, investigation papers and 'who' he really was and why Jock was staying in the area..

The criminals were 'tipped' off and a 'hit' was ordered and carried out...by either L.H. or his Son....
The parents was eventually told some made-up story and the bodies shipped to them..the couple buried did not die in 1976...that's why DNA wasn't done way back!..:jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa