CA - Domestic Dispute between Chris Brown & Rihanna - cancels Grammy performance

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Los Angeles police said they plan to detain R&B singer Chris Brown for questioning in connection with an alleged domestic violence assault against his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, according to sources familiar with the investigation.
<snip>

Brown and Rihanna canceled their performances at tonight's Grammy Awards.
The incident is being investigated as a felony domestic violence case, police said. It was reported about 12:30 a.m. Sunday in Hancock Park.
Brown and Rihanna, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, were apparently in a car together and got into an argument on North June Street, according to a Los Angeles Police Department statement. Brown stopped the car, the two got out, and the argument escalated, according to police.
A witness called 911, but Brown was gone when officers arrived at the scene. The woman suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker, according to police.
Brown and Rihanna had appeared together Saturday night at Clive Davis’s pre-Grammy gala in Beverly Hills.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/rb-singer-chris.html

:(

Los Angeles police said they plan to detain R&B singer Chris Brown for questioning in connection with an alleged domestic violence assault against his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, according to sources familiar with the investigation.
<snip>

Brown and Rihanna canceled their performances at tonight's Grammy Awards.
The incident is being investigated as a felony domestic violence case, police said. It was reported about 12:30 a.m. Sunday in Hancock Park.
Brown and Rihanna, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, were apparently in a car together and got into an argument on North June Street, according to a Los Angeles Police Department statement. Brown stopped the car, the two got out, and the argument escalated, according to police.
A witness called 911, but Brown was gone when officers arrived at the scene. The woman suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker, according to police.
Brown and Rihanna had appeared together Saturday night at Clive Davis&#8217;s pre-Grammy gala in Beverly Hills.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/rb-singer-chris.html

:(

WOW - totally shocked by this. If true this will really hurt his career. Not to mention Jay Z would probably kick his *advertiser censored*. I hope Rihanna is okay.

While there is no excuse for a man to hit a woman I'm going to wait to pass judgement until all the details come out. If they do.

an update from the article PrayersforMaura posted:

"R&B singer Chris Brown has been booked tonight on suspicion of making felony criminal threats in connection with an incident involving his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, according to Los Angeles Police Department sources familiar with the case."

I don't know what felony criminal threats are? Can someone give me a general idea of what they might be?TIA.

Like Lizzybeth, I'll wait until there is more information about what happened, if we are given more details.

As for this impacting Mr. Brown's career, I'm not quite sure it will. Michael J, R. Kelly and others in the music biz have had quite a few brushes with the law. We will have to wait and see.

While there is no excuse for a man to hit a woman I'm going to wait to pass judgement until all the details come out. If they do.

I agree with you its never right to hit anyone...but i tell you i have 2 sisters Ive seen get right in their spouses face while argueing, just instigating the problem, ive seen the spouses try to walk away and they just kept at it until...you guessed it boom then they tried to do the oh i cant believe he hit me crap .. Ive also seen plenty of women that i wanted to hit just to get them to shut up lol because they were just so beligerent to their spouses
while i dont condone it at all i can sometimes understand why it happens!

I think that this can be put in Crimes in the News-he was charged and had to come up with bail...pretty hefty for the charge $50K.....

an update from the article PrayersforMaura posted:

"R&B singer Chris Brown has been booked tonight on suspicion of making felony criminal threats in connection with an incident involving his girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, according to Los Angeles Police Department sources familiar with the case."

I don't know what felony criminal threats are? Can someone give me a general idea of what they might be?TIA.

Like Lizzybeth, I'll wait until there is more information about what happened, if we are given more details.

As for this impacting Mr. Brown's career, I'm not quite sure it will. Michael J, R. Kelly and others in the music biz have had quite a few brushes with the law. We will have to wait and see.

1. The accused willfully threatened to unlawfully kill or unlawfully inflict great bodily injury on another person
  2. The accused made the threat with the specific intent that it be taken as a threat
  3. The threat is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to convey a gravity of purpose and the immediate prospect of execution (the person was very clear and specific about carrying out the threat)
  4. The threat actually caused sustained fear in the victim (for "a period of time that extends beyond what is momentary, fleeting, or transitory")
  5. The sustained fear was reasonable
On top of this, the woman who was threatened had visible injuries according to news reports, and LE said that the threats were credible in that Brown had the means to carry them out.

Lovely.

1. The accused willfully threatened to unlawfully kill or unlawfully inflict great bodily injury on another person
  2. The accused made the threat with the specific intent that it be taken as a threat
  3. The threat is so unequivocal, unconditional, immediate, and specific as to convey a gravity of purpose and the immediate prospect of execution (the person was very clear and specific about carrying out the threat)
  4. The threat actually caused sustained fear in the victim (for "a period of time that extends beyond what is momentary, fleeting, or transitory")
  5. The sustained fear was reasonable
On top of this, the woman who was threatened had visible injuries according to news reports, and LE said that the threats were credible in that Brown had the means to carry them out.

Lovely.

Thank you believe09. Good lord! I've been perusing the gossip blogs and it has been reported that the unidentified female (which every one of them says is Rihanna) has visible injuries and some have even reported that it required a hospital trip. (speculation about broken facial bones, ex: jaw or nose).

I'm sure we'll hear many different stories. The last I heard she had a black eye and tried to pass it off originally as a car accident. I'm not sure what is true.

I'm trying really hard for my dislike of Rhinna and thinking of Chris Brown as a Virginia boy not to cloud my judgement.

I agree. Fifty Thousand dollars is a pretty high bail.

Thank you believe09. Good lord! I've been perusing the gossip blogs and it has been reported that the unidentified female (which every one of them says is Rihanna) has visible injuries and some have even reported that it required a hospital trip. (speculation about broken facial bones, ex: jaw or nose).

YW, Kat :blowkiss:

Felony criminal threats alone can get you 3 years in the pokey, PLUS it is considered a strike in the 3 strikes you are out law. Not Good for a 19/20 year old. I expect there will be much work to plead it down if the reports are reasonably accurate.

Who ever it is-I hope she is truly OK and realizes that this is not love in anyway shape or form.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/detectives-are.html

"
A 911 call may be key in the alleged assault involving R&B performer Chris Brown and singer Rihanna. The call came from a witness who apparently had no idea he or she was stepping into a high-profile celebrity case.
LAPD sources say the witness, who remains unidentified, did not know entertainers were involved when reporting early Sunday morning that a violent altercation was taking place on a quiet Hancock Park street.
Detectives are still gathering evidence in the alleged assault and have not yet turned the case over to prosecutors, who will decide whether to file charges against Brown.
&#8220;As of right now, nothing has been presented,&#8221; said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney&#8217;s office.

Brown was booked Sunday on suspicion of making criminal threats and was released on $50,000 bail. Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, suffered visible injuries in the alleged altercation."

I can't believe someone in my office just said said she prob. deserved it! A girl, nonetheless!! NO ONE deserves that...I don't care what she said or did or didn't say or didn't do! Disgusting.

I cant believe this!! I love them & their music and i feel like its so out of character!

Chris Brown has talked of abuse in his past. Here's an article from msnbc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29105153/

In a 2007 interview with GIANT magazine, Brown spoke candidly about his family&#8217;s history with alleged abuse.

When he was 11, the R&B star-to-be told his mother that he would go to jail for killing his allegedly abusive stepfather.

I read the article thank you for the link chicagofa13.

I think that the old saying the children live what they learn is very true, more true than most of us realize.

I am sorry that as a child he suffered from those experiences of the abuse of his Mother. I'm sure it terrified him.

But now he is a man. He is a man and must do as a man does not what he may have learned as a child. If it's true that he assaulted and/or terrorized a woman then he needs to face the consequences and he also needs some therapy IMHO.

I think that the old saying the children live what they learn is very true, more true than most of us realize.

I am sorry that as a child he suffered from those experiences of the abuse of his Mother. I'm sure it terrified him.

But now he is a man. He is a man and must do as a man does not what he may have learned as a child. If it's true that he assaulted and/or terrorized a woman then he needs to face the consequences and he also needs some therapy IMHO.

ITA. I saw a news blip where the TH's were shocked by the incident because he had a history of abuse he was open about and was such a clean-cut kid. They found it very unexpected and sad for all involved.

FWIW, JayZ and and a few other biggies are like surrogate dad's to Rihanna and are extremely protective of her. IIRC, JayZ discovered her. How this affects Chris' career remains to be seen. I wouldn't want to piss that crew off though. The last I heard Rihanna also had bite marks.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/rihanna-coopera.html

(snip)
R&B star Rihanna is cooperating with investigators building a domestic violence case against her boyfriend, the singer Chris Brown, a police source said today.
The source said the 20-year-old performer, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, is providing &#8220;ongoing&#8221; cooperation with detectives who booked Brown on Sunday on suspicion of making criminal threats against her.
An early-morning altercation with Brown following a pre-Grammy Awards party left Rihanna with bruises and a scratch to her face, according to police sources. Her injuries were treated at a &#8220;major medical facility,&#8221; a police source said.

ITA Kat. I feel we all make decisions as adults. Maybe he did come from an abusive family. Well, imo that's all the more reason to not raise your hand to another person.
I came from a home of alcoholism and abuse. I could become the same way and use that upbringing as an excuse. But that's all it is, an excuse.
So I chose to learn from my parents mistakes and become better than that. I do everything within my power to make sure my children do not have to feel what I felt, and I encourage my friends to do the same.
I'm sorry to rant, but I am SO tired of people using their "past childhood experiences" as an excuse for their actions.

http://www.tmz.com/

TMZ is reporting deep BITE marks on her arms, "horrific" contusions on both sides of her face, split lip and bloody nose. A third party heard her screams and called 911. Rhianna confirmed at the scene that Brown used his fists on her, but would not cooperate with the officers in discussing the cause of the argument.

If even part of this is true.....:furious::furious::furious::furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back