Original newspaper items/articles

The girl was shot in the back as evidenced by the mess her chest area was in the crime scene photo. I believe the guy was shot first in the chest, at which point the girl tried to run, and was shot in the back. Both were still breathing or to just make sure they weren't, they were finished off with neck shots. The male naturally would have been disabled first because the killer would have had no fear of the girl. He knew she wasn't going anywhere anyway since he had the gun.

Sumter County Coroner Verna Moore remembers when they were first found: off I-95 on August 9, 1976. A truck driver discovered the man, who is said to be in his mid-twenties, and the woman, believed to be 19 years old to her early twenties. They lay dead on a dirt road, shot execution style in the head and neck.

Whatcha wanna bet Lonnie Henry was the truck driver that made the discovery?

I'm also curious about a photo that was on phenolred's myspace page for the mystery couple.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=292782949&albumID=516951&imageID=1808081

or tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/bq89yt

It is my feeling that this photo is the most representative of Jane Doe.

Notice the facial differences, the odd ear, and in particular the forehead height as compared with other photos. You tell me, is this the same person as the morgue photo of Jane with her mouth open? What do you think?

Please disregard the above post of mine that I've referenced here. I no longer believe that photo is the most representative of our Jane Doe.

I think the post you are refering to is post # 39 here

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php? t=75977

rhyno1974, Yes, that's it. Thanks for finding it.
Notice the posters name!!
I took shorthand in school and in shorthand it seems to say "i seen it 69"...coincidence or clue?
Quote:
If you scroll down, you'll notice that someone named iceni69 left two comments and one of them is "I know who they are and who killed them and it didn't happen in 1976."

rhyno1974, Yes, that's it. Thanks for finding it.
Notice the posters name!!
I took shorthand in school and in shorthand it seems to say "i seen it 69"...coincidence or not?
Quote:
If you scroll down, you'll notice that someone named iceni69 left two comments and one of them is "I know who they are and who killed them and it didn't happen in 1976."

OH MY GOD

GREAT PICK UP ML "i seen it 69" it didn't even twig

But could it be ?

Maybe some sleuthing for the 7 years prior to the *reported* 76 shootings ?

Did you see my side by sides ML

The girl was shot in the back as evidenced by the mess her chest area was in the crime scene photo. I believe the guy was shot first in the chest, at which point the girl tried to run, and was shot in the back. Both were still breathing or to just make sure they weren't, they were finished off with neck shots. The male naturally would have been disabled first because the killer would have had no fear of the girl. He knew she wasn't going anywhere anyway since he had the gun.

Whatcha wanna bet Lonnie Henry was the truck driver that made the discovery?

Justthinkin...BINGO!..:sheesh:..I would bet you're right.

justhinkin I'll go a little farther with your thoughts:
part of the big cover-up was because the same truck driver was caught 4 months later with the murder weapon under his truck seat....making LE look REAL BAD!.:bang:.

so a deal is made that L.H. keep his mouth shut about being the one who found the couple at 6:20 Monday morning and Le would let L.H. walk away from the Felony charge....

also, going along with his weak alibi that a 2 hour drive from the hospital that Sunday night, after visiting hours, was way too far for him to make and still get there around midnight to 1:00 am....jmo

OH MY GOD

GREAT PICK UP ML "i seen it 69" it didn't even twig

But could it be ?

Maybe some sleuthing for the 7 years prior to the *reported* 76 shootings ?

Did you see my side by sides ML

Hello friend, JaneInOz,
Yes, good work..I agree!
I appreciate you taking the time to put the pictures side by side..
The first thing I noticed was the difference in the shape of the faces in each picture!
The shape of the face is very important when identifying anyone..from a sketch or picture!

I'm not surprised the Mother and stepfather in Brunswick had diffeculity making a postive ID of Jane Doe..

Let's keep digging..:smiliescale: for more pieces of the puzzle.

I did a google search of "iceni69" and it doesn't get a whole lot of hits.
It is a name of a catamaran ferry and it looks like the company is out of NZ.

Haven't had time to read much about it but here is the link

http://www.tennantdesign.co.nz/index.php?page=iceni---69

Also someone with that username is/was a member of Ebay from the UK....

rhyno1974: The name/handle was associated to a Catamaran. Hmmmm!

Isn't it a big coincidence that we were talking about the couple possibly having a sailing boat anchored somewhere just this week..and you track the persons handle, that gave the clue, to the type of a sailing boat...
QUOTE:

iceni69 wrote:
I know who they are and who killed them and it didn't happen in 1976.

I think the post you are refering to is post # 39 here
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php? t=75977
Correct me if I'm wrong!

I noticed "iceni69's" first comment about knowing about the murders was on WlTX.com comment and blog site from Columbia S.C on 6-12-07..

With this coming from the WITX area, leads me to suspect this person does know something about the 2 murders.

I'm also curious about a photo that was on phenolred's myspace page for the mystery couple.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=292782949&albumID=516951&imageID=1808081

or tiny url:

Notice the facial differences, the odd ear, and in particular the forehead height as compared with other photos. You tell me, is this the same person as the morgue photo of Jane with her mouth open?
What do you think?..

justthinkin: After looking at several class rooms of students today, I am convinced the young Jane Doe in these pictures looks to be between 14 & 16 years old....VERY YOUNG ..I can't see how the coroner said she was 19, I think she may have been younger.....definitely a teenager from looking at her in this picture....imo:detective:

I do agree, the other pictures of Jane Doe DO look older, like 19 or early twenties...so I feel we should look for a female missing in her teens and twenties...

justthinkin: After looking at several class rooms of students today, I am convinced the young Jane Doe in these pictures looks to be between 14 & 16 years old..:detective:

ITA. It's something I'd thought, just hadn't said. Wouldn't that have automatically brought in the FBI?

Why would a young man in his 20's need all the mouth reconstruction?

Poor dentition could also be hereditary. It's not always about how often you brush and floss. It could have to do with hypocalcemia and lacking the nutrients to grow strong teeth. Remember that your bones are the LAST place calcium goes in your body. It's used intracellularly, intramuscularly, in the heart and brain.. anything leftover goes to bones and teeth.

Also, I've noticed that people who have had poor teeth during childhood and the developmental years and have had them fixed (braces and such) are very particular about their teeth. They usually take very good care of them and spend a lot of money to keep them the way they are. That's just a recent observation I've made.

When I posted links to those 2 old articles from The Item on the Mystery Couple thread (I guess I should have posted them here), there was another article I had in my files about the Mystery Couple and Peggy Cuttino. I didn't know if that would be of interest so I didn't post it with them. Since someone posted the Crime Library story on Peggy Cuttino, here is the other article from The Item that discusses both.

http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040217/NEWS01/102170051

It's a really interesting article.

When I posted links to those 2 old articles from The Item on the Mystery Couple thread (I guess I should have posted them here), there was another article I had in my files about the Mystery Couple and Peggy Cuttino. I didn't know if that would be of interest so I didn't post it with them.
Since someone posted the Crime Library story on Peggy Cuttino, here is the other article from The Item that discusses both.

http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040217/NEWS01/102170051

It's a really interesting article.

Cambria, Yes, another good article.
I found the following statement in the article quite interesting and eye opening.
QUOTE:
The Cuttino case is fascinating, but it's also a tragic story, Bardsley said.

"What really surprises me is, it seemed like there was something amiss in Sumter justice at that time," she said.

"It seemed that law enforcement was so anxious to put the case to bed, that they ignored all the major facts of the case.

The fact that the person they wanted to pin this on had an airtight alibi 200 miles away in Georgia didn't seem to matter.

"I don't think Junior Pierce is any model of humanity," she added, "but they wasted their time with him."

As for Gaskins, who in 1978, claimed under truth serum that he killed Cuttino, Bardsley doesn't buy his confession either. She believes he was trying to grandstand.

The Cuttino case has the mark of a serial killer, she said, but not Gaskins.

"It is the signature of the crime. The display of the girl points to a different killer than Gaskins," she said. "He never wanted his victims found.
He hid them. He wasn't into displaying victims at all."

The story is an example of "a miscarriage of justice that everybody in Sumter knew about," Bardsley said.

"It's an injustice to this Pierce guy.

Even worse, it takes the heat off of whoever did it. I guarantee you, this person did it again, and again.
Maybe not in South Carolina, but somewhere else," she said. "Mrs. Lenoir is to be congratulated for her bravery and diligence." ..............

Cambria, Yes, another good article.
I found the following statement in the article quite interesting and eye opening.
QUOTE:
The Cuttino case is fascinating, but it's also a tragic story, Bardsley said.

"What really surprises me is, it seemed like there was something amiss in Sumter justice at that time," she said.

"It seemed that law enforcement was so anxious to put the case to bed, that they ignored all the major facts of the case.

The fact that the person they wanted to pin this on had an airtight alibi 200 miles away in Georgia didn't seem to matter.

"I don't think Junior Pierce is any model of humanity," she added, "but they wasted their time with him."

As for Gaskins, who in 1978, claimed under truth serum that he killed Cuttino, Bardsley doesn't buy his confession either. She believes he was trying to grandstand.

The Cuttino case has the mark of a serial killer, she said, but not Gaskins.

"It is the signature of the crime. The display of the girl points to a different killer than Gaskins," she said. "He never wanted his victims found.
He hid them. He wasn't into displaying victims at all."

The story is an example of "a miscarriage of justice that everybody in Sumter knew about," Bardsley said.

"It's an injustice to this Pierce guy.

Even worse, it takes the heat off of whoever did it. I guarantee you, this person did it again, and again.
Maybe not in South Carolina, but somewhere else," she said. "Mrs. Lenoir is to be congratulated for her bravery and diligence." ..............

Yes, I thought Marilyn Bardsley's comments were interesting. I definitely think in their haste to solve this, they got the wrong guy. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Gaskins though. I know just because he was there doesn't mean he did it. I haven't read that Crime Library story on Peggy Cuttino for a long time. I'll have to re-read it and see what they say about Gaskins again.

or tiny url:

Notice the facial differences, the odd ear, and in particular the forehead height as compared with other photos. You tell me, is this the same person as the morgue photo of Jane with her mouth open? What do you think?

It is this picture of Jane that made me wonder about the Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch.

==========================================

I'm gonna add this here due to lack of time.
I found these 2 images, thought I left open where I found this one but must have closed it. I did save it..

Then there is this version which I wish I could find larger

Guys, Look closely at the dirt road in the pictures.

It definitely looks like a one-lane, narrow sandy dirt road with grass growing in the center.

This road was certainly NOT traveled often, by many cars, from the looks of the grass and the dirt....

This young couple would NOT have been on this deserted road at night...plus their feet/shoes was way too clean.

Who ever 'placed' these kids beside this road, knew the area and the dirt road in my opinion..:camera:

I don't think I posted this before...
__aa.jpg

edit: it was published January 1977

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member