Legalities of Unauthorized Family Visits Via Laptop

amanda2396

Reaction score
Sleuths - First, I am so sincerely impressed by your skills and abilities. I am in amazement most of the time by your analytical and research skills. There has been a small amount of discussion on this from what I can tell from searching other posts - even a theory that LA's laptop was connected with JB's while he was meeting her in jail during Caylee's memorial service.

For those who know - are meetings via JB's laptop webcam allowed between CA and the family? I must assume that if LE has not approved the family a private face-to-face meeting with CA, they would not approve of her meeting privately via any other means either. Is LE aware of this possibility? Do they monitor CA's and JB's meetings even if no others are physically present? What are the legal ramifications if these unauthorized meetings are proven to have occurred? How could that be proven?

Humbly submitted for your opinions and discussion. Thanks!

thats a good possibility that they did indeed do that. are there restrictions on laptops?? i did find it odd that LA needed a laptop during the memorial. i hope LE looks into this or already has. i wouldnt put anything past that sneaky JB!

I read that the jail said after the memorial that inmates are allowed to view news media webpages with their attorneys, so she would have been allowed to view the memorial that way. (sorry, don't have a link handy). They did not mention anything about webcam'ing..

Hmm.. it should NOT be legal!!!!!

thats a good possibility that they did indeed do that. are there restrictions on laptops?? i did find it odd that LA needed a laptop during the memorial. i hope LE looks into this or already has. i wouldnt put anything past that sneaky JB!

I don't know if Lee & JB were working together for KC to see the memorial or not. If a private family visit isn't allowed, I don't see why it would be allowed via a lap top & web cam. KC should have the same rights as all other prisioners but NOTHING MORE. Why she continues to believe she is something special is beyond me.........she is a special type of evil, beyond that she is nothing.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

And what was up with Lee's "C..M..A" not once, but twice. Who refers to people at their memorial by their initials? I don't even know my kid's initials without just having to think about it. :) Didn't he think it would be obvious he wasn't talking about Caylee?

i dont think there were any webcams on for LA. this family is pretty transparent, and i'm sure CA would have been elbowing Lee out of the way for some "face time". JMO

ETA : this family is so transparent it's pathetic. i think they truly believe they are smarter than everyone else, and no one will question what they do as long as they deny everything. but that's okay, the world is not as dumb as they end up looking :]

i dont think there were any webcams on for LA. this family is pretty transparent, and i'm sure CA would have been elbowing Lee out of the way for some "face time". JMO

ETA : this family is so transparent it's pathetic. i think they truly believe they are smarter than everyone else, and no one will question what they do as long as they deny everything. but that's okay, the world is not as dumb as they end up looking :]

Wasn't there a laptop on the podium in front of Lee when he gave his eulogy? Don't most laptops have webcams these days?

Couldn't they both have used air cards? That would be the way around a wireless connection.

Couldn't they both have used air cards? That would be the way around a wireless connection.

Yes unless the jail has a jammer a sprint evdo card would work just fine. I get great reception with mine in many steel buildings. As for KC watching the memorial they could have just logged onto any of the network sites and got just as good a picture....I didn't see anyone blowing kisses at the laptop so I doubt they were video conferencing with Casey.

one would not need access to the church network nor to the jail. they could easily be using air cards. some of these (cingular) even come integrated into some newer laptops.

speaking as an IT person myself.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

As a fellow IT geek and former Network Engineer (mostly wireless) I must agree. But I am sure JB does have a cellular wi-fi card in his laptop.

But what about using his cell phone to connect to the internet. Is there any other way he could have connected to the internet other than through the jails secured wireless network?

But what about using his cell phone to connect to the internet. Is there any other way he could have connected to the internet other than through the jails secured wireless network?

you can get a special card (air card) for your laptop that works like connecting a laptop to a cell phone used to work, but you dont have to use the cable to connect to the cell, the card uses cell service.

Yes, it's possible they both had air cards from their ISPs and I doubt the jail would block an attorney.

I wonder, though, why did LA take his laptop down when he was finished? Why not leave it up for the remainder of the family speeches?

Awesome points...right on the money!:clap:

Thanks for this info.

you can get a special card (air card) for your laptop that works like connecting a laptop to a cell phone used to work, but you dont have to use the cable to connect to the cell, the card uses cell service.

Right, that's what I thought. I wonder, also, if this is how the family is circumventing the cameras for family and other visits. If all JB has to do is bring in his laptop, the family can have their laptop ready to go with whomever wants to visit with CA - no having to register in the visitors log, no having the visits released to public, no chance of having his client's erratic behavior further damage his very slim chances of winning his case. I know that JB was visiting CA everyday for a while - until this recent document dump, that is - but no one else did. No friends, no family, no nobody. I can't see how CA would be able to stand the thought that no one cares about visiting her for this long. It just doesn't seem to be her personality, imo.

Great info. Thanks for posting it. I do however think he would be using an air card, especially is LE allows attorneys and clients to access news media webpages. Both JB and the family could access an internet conferencing website like SightSpeed or Skype.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back