WA WA - Jeffrey Bratcher, 7, Ocean Shores, 15 June 1974

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Moved from LTWH to discussion board, originally posted by Be Adequite!

WA- Jeffrey Bratcher: Missing since June, 1974
Jeffrey Bratcher- Ocean Shores WA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/27dmwa.html
I'm new to the site- long time lurker and finally registered/official now!
Anyways this case has always interested me- such an odd story- I have vacationed in the coastal town from where Jeffrey disappeared- somewhat desolate yet small area...a true dead end trail and mystery.

Mother had full custody at the time she sent Jeffrey and his siblings to visit his father and stepmother. The father took them to Ocean City, WA and while they were playing, Jeffrey disappeared. A 72 hour search produced no trace of Jeffrey.

Bratcher was playing with five other children in a section of the park during the day; they were told that dinner would be prepared at 7:00 PM and to return to the adults' area at that time. Bratcher told the other children that he would take a different trail back to the picnic area when dinner time arrived and separated from the group.

Wow. I really don't know what to say. All of those families who could have had answers years ago. I hope that they are now able to give a few families answers. I wonder how many other universities have bones with similar history? UW can't be the only one...
Back in the days before DNA, there was little you could do with a bone if you found it, other than sending it to an anthropologist. LE would send bones to anthropologists BUT the anthropologist should document what they receive, and if a Police Agengcy sent the bone in, they should follow up. I doubt this is an isolate case. Jeffrey's case is 35 years cold, when it could have been just 6 years cold.

this case has also bothered me, does the family have any postings or official website for him

I am curious, in today's technological age , why doesn't his family have an official site??? the strangest thing that about this case to me is the lack of information? why if the police thought it was an abduction did they still not keep into consideration the abductor/s would have used the woods?. It just does not seem like it was thorough enough?? just a thought

I am curious, in today's technological age , why doesn't his family have an official site??? the strangest thing that about this case to me is the lack of information? why if the police thought it was an abduction did they still not keep into consideration the abductor/s would have used the woods?. It just does not seem like it was thorough enough?? just a thought
After Jeffrey disappeared, hundreds of searchers covered a wide area around the park. Search dogs tracked Jeffrey from the point he was last seen, to the edge of the State Highway.

Does anyone know where Jeffrey Bratcher was originally from and if his father and stepmother were from Ocean Shores?

Does anyone know where Jeffrey Bratcher was originally from and if his father and stepmother were from Ocean Shores?
Jeffrey was living in the midwest with his mother, and came to Washington State with his siblings for a visit with his father, who lived in Western Washington. They traveled to Ocean Shores for a day trip to the ocean.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bratcher_jeffrey.html

Jeffrey Michael Bratcher

Left: Bratcher, age 5 (circa 1972, two years before his disappearance);
Right: Age-progression at age 38 (circa 2005)

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 15, 1974 from Ocean Shores, Washington
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 1, 1967
Height and Weight: 3'9, 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy brown hair, brown eyes.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A sailor's cap and plaid pants.

Details of Disappearance

Bratcher was visiting his father and stepmother in Ocean Shores, Washington on June 15, 1974. His mother had custody of him at the time. Bratcher was playing with five other children in a section of the park during the day; they were told that dinner would be prepared at 7:00 p.m. and they were to return to the adults' area at that time. Bratcher told the other children that he would take a different trail back to the picnic area when dinner time arrived and separated from the group. He was never seen again.
An extensive police search of the park area yielded few clues as to what happened to Bratcher. Search dogs may have located his scent leading up to the park's entrance, but it disappeared at the edge of the pavement. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office
360-249-3711

Source Information
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Child Protection Education Of America

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated January 14, 2006; age-progression updated.

Charley Project Home

Why is the photo used one of him at age 5 and not of him at age 7? In two years they didn't have a photo they could use?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back