Identified! AR- West Memphis -"Laundry Lady" WhtFem 643UFAR, 45-60, Sep'87 No Name Available

Oh I am sorry :( but thank you for looking
Hopefull the other area will have some news though

Okay I have bad news. I searched the Commercial Appeal microfilm today and there was nothing. I was actually pretty upset I was really hoping to find something. I started with the 9th (you never know) and went through every page to about halfway through the 18th. I even checked through the 10th twice.

I didn't pull the nightly news tapes because they were in the basement and I was so sure I'd find something in the paper. But I will pull the VHS tapes tomorrow.

There's one more possibility, some the West Memphis library or another library nearby in Arkansas might have old issues of the WM Evening Times. If we can find the archives for that paper I don't have a problem going to their library and searching them.

Everyone cross your fingers and hope I have better luck with news footage. I just can't believe there was nothing in the paper.

Okay I have bad news. I searched the Commercial Appeal microfilm today and there was nothing. I was actually pretty upset I was really hoping to find something. I started with the 9th (you never know) and went through every page to about halfway through the 18th. I even checked through the 10th twice.

I didn't pull the nightly news tapes because they were in the basement and I was so sure I'd find something in the paper. But I will pull the VHS tapes tomorrow.

There's one more possibility, some the West Memphis library or another library nearby in Arkansas might have old issues of the WM Evening Times. If we can find the archives for that paper I don't have a problem going to their library and searching them.

Everyone cross your fingers and hope I have better luck with news footage. I just can't believe there was nothing in the paper.

I can't believe the Commercial Appeal didn't have anything. Gosh, no wonder this poor lady has gone unidentified as long as she has.

Thanks so much for your ongoing efforts, pink.

okay, I searched worldcat.org (which is amazing! It's a database that will find any library in the world that carries a book, magazine, newspaper, etc.)

Anyway, the West Memphis library and the Southwest TN community college here in Memphis both have the Evening Times. I don't have another day off till next week, but I'll check it out then.

Thank you, pinkhistorybuff, for your effort today and for your continued efforts.:blowkiss:

Hope something shows up.

I'm starting to wonder if the dates could possibly be off when LL met her demise. I am just amazed that there seems to be nothing out there.

It does seem so strange that not one sentence about the accident can be found. After the Mary/AZ info was added I started leaning towards thinking somebody involved had connections and was able to make LL 'disappear'.

Checked the fingerprint card with the hopes a 1 could be mistaken for a 7 but no luck. Wonder what was blacked out next to date in upper L?

https://identifyus.org/photo.php?i=2049&m

That's interesting capoly-I never noticed that before. Would she have been immediately fingerprinted? On the worldcat.org site I came across Arkansas Online which had articles from various sources going back to 1987 that reported on various traffic fatalities but not this one.

I don't know what happened. Was ETA below to other post and it kept denying the edit. So this is continuation of above.

Have checked about a dozen other UIDs fingerprint records. The fingerprints on all were obtained at least a week later than date of death/found. So perhaps a possibility the accident occurred a week earlier??

Also according to AR law, LE or Coroner only have to look for next of kin for 48 hours.
20-17-702. Search for next of kin. - (a) The person who
assumes original and lawful possession, charge, or control of
any body as described in this subchapter shall conduct
diligent search for relatives or next of kin of the deceased, or
that person shall request the county sheriff or such other
person as may be required by law to conduct the search.
(b) For the purpose of notifying the University of Arkansas
College of Medicine of its availability, an "unclaimed body" is
defined as a human body in the possession, charge, or
control of the persons named in subsection (a) of this section
for a period not to exceed forty-eight (48) hours, during which
time the right of any relative, next of kin, friend, any
representative of a fraternal society of which the deceased
was a member, or a representative of any charitable or
religious group to claim the body for burial purposes is
recognized.
20-17-704. Delivery to University of Arkansas College of
Medicine. - Upon expiration of the forty-eight (48) hours, as
provided in 20-17-703, if the dead human body has not been
claimed for burial, the person then having possession,
charge, or control shall surrender or deliver the body to the
University of Arkansas College of Medicine if so requested by
it.

The University has to hold the body but the law does not place any responsibility on them to find next of kin,

(d) If the body is not claimed by any person or organization
within ninety (90) days from date of arrival at the University
of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, then all right, title, and
interest in the body shall be deemed to vest in the state for
the benefit of the University of Arkansas College of Medicine,
and any living relative, next of kin, friend, or organization
shall be deemed to have consented irrevocably to use of the
body for the advancement or study of medical science

I loathe this law. 48 hours, what a joke.

That's interesting capoly-I never noticed that before. Would she have been immediately fingerprinted? On the worldcat.org site I came across Arkansas Online which had articles from various sources going back to 1987 that reported on various traffic fatalities but not this one.

I don't know what to make of no news on LL. Yep, I also found many older news articles for AR, some went back to the 40's. But, like you, not one mention of LL.

Well, I guess no one took any interest at the time to find her relatives. Apparently, there was no media involvement. I'm going to start a thread on Topix in West Memphis and see if anybody responds.

I was thinking about posting to the 'Ask a Cop' site but their 'read first' section was a mite intimidating lol.

I was thinking about posting to the 'Ask a Cop' site but their 'read first' section was a mite intimidating lol.

Lol, capoly, see what you mean! Back to that fingerprint card, it's strange that they would want to redact info on someone they have no info on. Did that make any sense? Maybe it was just an error, but it seems strange.

Lol, capoly, see what you mean! Back to that fingerprint card, it's strange that they would want to redact info on someone they have no info on. Did that make any sense? Maybe it was just an error, but it seems strange.

I'm wondering now if it was the name of the official who did the fingerprinting. The other UID fingerprint records didn't have officials names though some had initials. Don't know why an official would need to redact their name. Or perhaps someone wrote Mary...or thought the name on card was LL's name. Wonder if my_tee_mouse has x-ray vision lol

Checked the fingerprint card with the hopes a 1 could be mistaken for a 7 but no luck. Wonder what was blacked out next to date in upper L?

https://identifyus.org/photo.php?i=2049&m

Might be the name of the traffic officer or the person who did the prints? I don't see a spot for that on the form. I am not surprised that it might be redacted, given the fact that folks like us would have access to it, lol. The temptation to contact that person would be pretty strong...

Sad, but this story probably wouldn't have been picked up by the big city newspaper - perhaps the local newspaper - Crittenden County The Evening News / Germantown News? I checked archives on-line but don't think they go back that far.

Sad, but this story probably wouldn't have been picked up by the big city newspaper - perhaps the local newspaper - Crittenden County The Evening News / Germantown News? I checked archives on-line but don't think they go back that far.

Yes, usually Memphis will cover a West Memphis story. I am going to check the West Memphis Evening News next week when I get a day off. Germantown would not cover anything in West Memphis. It's on the other side of Shelby County (here in TN)

Here's a thought -- that link with the fingerprints has 9987 as the date received in Little Rock (it also has it listed as the date of charge, but whatever...)

Could this mean this is the date her body arrived in Little Rock and not the date of the accident? If so, this could mean we need to look at the 7th or 8th as the date of the accident?

I know, I'm reaching here...

The date is when the ME received the body - the accident may indeed have happened a day or two before. Checking archives from Sept - Oct would be wonderful if you have time.:dance:

Yes, usually Memphis will cover a West Memphis story. I am going to check the West Memphis Evening News next week when I get a day off. Germantown would not cover anything in West Memphis. It's on the other side of Shelby County (here in TN)

Here's a thought -- that link with the fingerprints has 9987 as the date received in Little Rock (it also has it listed as the date of charge, but whatever...)

Could this mean this is the date her body arrived in Little Rock and not the date of the accident? If so, this could mean we need to look at the 7th or 8th as the date of the accident?

I know, I'm reaching here...

Don't think your reaching at all! It may be possible...did you see my post a few back re other UID fingerprints cards showing a date that was at least a week past their time of death/being found?

If AR law was followed LL should have been in West Memphis for min. of 48 hours than could be sent to University.

But (hope this thought can be followed) remember the information placed on Namus by Debbie Culberson...the info on LL that was deleted....the date of 9-9-87 'found' was the same as listing posted by ME. Yet a different county was listed as to where found. On the other UIDs with duplicate postings the dates 'found' differed between ME & Culberson postings by a number of days. The Culberson postings all came out of AR County whereas ME postings had various counties.

This could mean the accident occurred in August of 1987....though it is still strange that nothing comes up. I have, as am sure others have, done searches with no date and other accidents have come up but not LL.

ETA Or on 9-9-87, LL was hit by car, declared DOA by hospital Doc, and sent the same day/night to AR DCI facility. Doesn't seem likely.

Okay, I did a brief scan of the Commerical Appeal microfilm on my lunchbreak from Sept. 1-8th. (I searched everything except the business, sports, and appeal sections.) I still came up with nothing. If I have time I'll review the last week in August before I leave for the day.

I also went and got the 10 o'clock news for Aug 31-Sept 4; Sept 7-11; and Sept 14-18.

I'll start reviewing those tonight when I get home.

I received a response to my Topix post. The poster said that she was struck by a truck with some guys coming home from a bar. It happened in the early hours of the day. She had last been seen leaving a bar called the Nic Nac on Broadway. The poster said that her head was run over by the truck and that she wore dentures because they were found at the scene. The poster also said that the guy was caught and did go to jail but couldn't remember his name and also said the guy has a brother who lived in lakeshore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONF21772
Back