Astrology - Planetary Guide Home & Garden Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, get a couple of very dirty articles of clothing.

Second, when the moon is waxing, place one article in a wash basin with your preferred soap.

Third, do the same thing when the Moon is waning.

See if you notice that during the waxing moon, the water will stay nice and soapy, while the dirty item stays kind of dirty.

Then, in the waning moon, the dirt comes off, and you can see by looking at the suds where it has gone.

After all, we housewives and homemakers can play around with lunar science, and it makes our lives a bit more interesting. Not that we should chatter about it at the next "ever-so-sophisticated" cocktail party we attend.

Probably better to discuss when best to start a corporation, or plan a lawsuit, right?

This is a neat thread, thanks housemouse for starting it. Spring is coming!!

Does anyone know where to buy Zote besides Wal-Mart? Not to get political, but I will not shop at WalMart. I haven't in almost 10 years and don't want to start!

I don't like Wal-mart either, but it isn't political for me.

It is hard enough to walk through the local supermarket, and the very thought of having to walk through the many aisles of Wal-mart makes my leg go numb instantly.

If we were all wise/smart/whatever, we should start supporting our local "mom and pop" shops and stores. We will pay more, but we can help to keep them in business, and can adjust our budgets accordingly.

The large box stores don't think much about our local communities. All they care about is the bottom line. After they drive the local businesses into bankruptcy, and then local sales don't support their bottom line, they will shut up shop in a NY minute, leaving us with nowhere to go.

Better, in my mind, to keep the locals going, than to risk it all to some corporate headquarters looking at the bottom line.

Just my humble opinion. You are totally entitled to your own, obviously.

I totally agree with what you wrote! And that is one of the many reason why I don't shop at WalMart.

QUOTE=CourtsInSession;3417464]I have ordered the 23 qt. pressure canner and it's on it's way. I talked to my elderly mom and she said that my grandmother use to can meat. She said it was delicious. I'm really anxious to try canning meat before the weather gets nice. I guess my swimming pool isn't going to see me as much this summer. This thread is absolutely great and is giving me some confidence that I can at least give this survival mode a try.[/QUOTE]

This website, jordansfarm.wordpress.com is about the simple life and has all kinds of meat canning recipes, household recipes, gardening, etc! The meat canning one looks pretty easy, too.
All of the information on this thread is so encouraging. I have always been interested in the simple life, but thought it'd be too hard to learn it all.
I realized, though, that even learning a few basic things is such a confidence builder. I'm afraid of pressure canners, but I've canned tomatos by the hot water bath method. I'm not a very good gardener, but I've grown tomatos in planters in the yard. And, I have dried lavendar to use in my closets, parsley from my sister (by hanging small bunches tied together upside down in my kitchen from straight pins I pounded into the wall with a shoe!) and rose hips. I 'm in zone 4 and our soil is sandy and poor, so have no luck with pumpkins, etc. Or maybe it's just me!
I used to have buckets under the roofline to catch rainwater. My husband used to have a fit about them all the time! UNTIL we had a terrible storm and no electricity or water for 6 days. BUT my buckets were great for toilet flushing and watering the animals! We still laugh about that! Nope, he never complains about my strange methods anymore!:crazy:
I'm trying to talk him into getting a few chickens to eat all the TICKS, but no luck so far!:chicken:
It is so much fun to get together with a friend or neighbor and work together.
And then SWIM in the POOL when you're done!

Thank you for having an interest in my post leorising. If this is the wrong thread perhaps we can have a thread in the parking lot with money saving tips?

Here is my recipe:

1. - 1 Cup of grated bar soap*

2. - 1 Cup of borax

3. - 1 Cup of Washing Soda **

* I use Zote bar laundry soap found in the laundry ailse at Walmart. You can use any hard, lightly perfumed soap. Ivory is a good choice.

** This is different from baking soda. It is a completely different product. It softens the water as well as lifts stains (good on greasy stains).

I take an old cheese grater (metal) and grate the soap in a container. Then I measure out one cup of borax and one cup of Washing Soda and mix together.

I then put it into my mini-food processor (purchased at walmart too very cheap) and process until it is a fine consistency. You choose how fine you like.

It can take as little as two tablespoons to one quarter cup per load for wash. It depends on the hardness of your water. Ours is very hard, so I use 1/4 cup.

I make this in bulk now. I make it about twice a year. It takes me 45 minutes to create enough detergent to last 6 people 6 months. (I have my kids help me grate while they watch tv).

You can adjust the ingredients to the recipe to serve your purposes, such as sometimes I add a bit more borax because our water is so very hard.

Fabric Softner:

Believe it or not, and it does sound gross. I use white vinegar for fabric softner. No residue in clothing of soap or vinegar smell.

1/4 for small to medium loads
1/2 for large to very large loads

Yes you can smell it in the room when you first put it in at the beginning of rinse, but once the cycle is finished you can't detect it.

It softens well, but doesn't leave a fragrance that can be irratating to skin and those with asthma.

Good luck! I have saved hundreds of dollars this way, although I did it originally to help my son with his allergies, eczema and asthma.

O/T I want to learn how to make my own pure soap (yes lye soap but it doesn't have lye itself in it after the soapnification process!). I buy it now, but once I learn to make it I will use it instead of Zote for laundry.

The pure soap has cleared up my sons eczema with use, and my other kids acne is much better. No itchies!

When you make enough to last 6 months, how many bars of soap do you grate, and how many boxes of borax and washing soda does it take? I can't wait to try this because laundry detergent is outrageously priced any more.

My grandfather owned a steam laundry when I was growing up. I wish I had paid attention because he only used lye soap that he made to do the laundry. I could kick myself for so many things I didn't pay attention to that my grandparents use to do.

Scroll down a little bit on this site and there is a recipe for lard soap.

http://farmgal.tripod.com/lyesoapconcoctions.html

My grandparents lived through the great Depression. They were very thrifty people.

My grandmother was a wonderful cook. Here is one recipe that costs nearly nothing to make, but fills you up. My great grandmother, who was from Slovenia, made it too. I have no idea how to spell the name of it, so I'll spell it phonetically:

Holl oosh key, with the accent on the Holl. If I had to guess how to spell it, it would be Haluski.

Wash and shred one head cabbage and place in cold water. Heat to a boil, boil until tender and drain. Keep the water near boiling for drop noodles below.

Drop noodles - 3 cups flour, 2 eggs and 1 large grated potato - mix thoroughly.

Drop by teaspoon full into boiling cabbage water until they float, remove and drain.

Fry 3 pieces of bacon with a sliced medium onion. Drain and crumble bacon.

Mix cabbage, noodles, crumbled bacon and fried onions. Reheat over a double boiler if necessary. Salt, pepper, a little butter on top and eat!

My husband likes a ham hock with his, which I cook before. He needs real MEAT, dont ya know.

Here you go, Sonne.

How to Make Haluski (Cabbage and Noodles)

http://pittsburgh.about.com/c/ht/00/10/How_Haluski_Cabbage_Noodles0972520187.htm

This is just to let you know you spelled it correctly. I put "haluski" into Google, and found several links for recipes for Haluski.

For everyone, Google is your friend. You can find all sorts of great stuff by using Google. Plug in something like: wartime recipes, wartime rationing, victory gardens, anything wartime related. Don't forget World War I (the Great War). You might want to look for books in your local library for ideas.

Here's something about modern families and rationing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-465769/Can-modern-family-survive-wartime-rations.html

Life has changed dramatically since I was a kid but I still remember how we lived without answering machines, cell phones, DVRs. If we wanted to watch a TV show, we had to be in front of a TV at airtime, no watching later at our convenience. I also remember my mother's wringer washing machine, hanging clothes on the clothesline and ironing everything because the fabric was so wrinkled after being washed. There was no microwave oven, either. We had one telephone. We only received gifts for Christmas (the biggie) and our birthdays. We received candy at Easter and exchanged little paper Valentines. None of the gift giving for everything under the sun like we do now. We didn't buy what we couldn't pay cash for and our houses weren't overstuffed with things like many houses are now. We went on only two real vacations before I was 18. We rarely went to restaurants. We played cards and board games often. We were comfortable.

Life has changed dramatically since I was a kid but I still remember how we lived without answering machines, cell phones, DVRs. If we wanted to watch a TV show, we had to be in front of a TV at airtime, no watching later at our convenience. I also remember my mother's wringer washing machine, hanging clothes on the clothesline and ironing everything because the fabric was so wrinkled after being washed. There was no microwave oven, either. We had one telephone. We only received gifts for Christmas (the biggie) and our birthdays. We received candy at Easter and exchanged little paper Valentines. None of the gift giving for everything under the sun like we do now. We didn't buy what we couldn't pay cash for and our houses weren't overstuffed with things like many houses are now. We went on only two real vacations before I was 18. We rarely went to restaurants. We played cards and board games often. We were comfortable.

I love this post. All that and so much more. One of my clearest memories is my mother sprinkling clothing, rolling it up, putting it in the fridge, bringing it out later and ironing it. Sounds crazy but back then it was totally normal!

I love this post. All that and so much more. One of my clearest memories is my mother sprinkling clothing, rolling it up, putting it in the fridge, bringing it out later and ironing it. Sounds crazy but back then it was totally normal!

I remember that too, but are you old enough to remember the "bouffant" slips being dunked in starch and hung, dripping, to make our skirts all stand out away from our young bodies?

An old astrological tid-bit about the best time to cut fingernails. Friday evenings, after sunset. Supposed to make them stronger, and be good for your teeth too. Why they thought that, I have no idea, but I love collecting all the tid-bits of astrological lore.

I remember that too, but are you old enough to remember the "bouffant" slips being dunked in starch and hung, dripping, to make our skirts all stand out away from our young bodies?

An old astrological tid-bit about the best time to cut fingernails. Friday evenings, after sunset. Supposed to make them stronger, and be good for your teeth too. Why they thought that, I have no idea, but I love collecting all the tid-bits of astrological lore.

Hi housemouse, I think that was an early 50s thing and I was probably too young to remember that. Or, more likely, my mother just wasn't into that type of style, knowing her. She was into square dancing with my father. They would get dressed up every Saturday night and go square dancing.

Writing this stuff makes me feel ancient! :D

Did your mother use a pop bottle with a gadget that you put in the bottle opening that had little holes in it in order to sprinkle the clothes? OM, I remember so well my mother doing this and then rolling them up in a plastic bag and putting in the fridge. Wasn't life beautiful and so much simplier???

QUOTE=CourtsInSession;3417464]I have ordered the 23 qt. pressure canner and it's on it's way. I talked to my elderly mom and she said that my grandmother use to can meat. She said it was delicious. I'm really anxious to try canning meat before the weather gets nice. I guess my swimming pool isn't going to see me as much this summer. This thread is absolutely great and is giving me some confidence that I can at least give this survival mode a try.

This website, jordansfarm.wordpress.com is about the simple life and has all kinds of meat canning recipes, household recipes, gardening, etc! The meat canning one looks pretty easy, too.
All of the information on this thread is so encouraging. I have always been interested in the simple life, but thought it'd be too hard to learn it all.
I realized, though, that even learning a few basic things is such a confidence builder. I'm afraid of pressure canners, but I've canned tomatos by the hot water bath method. I'm not a very good gardener, but I've grown tomatos in planters in the yard. And, I have dried lavendar to use in my closets, parsley from my sister (by hanging small bunches tied together upside down in my kitchen from straight pins I pounded into the wall with a shoe!) and rose hips. I 'm in zone 4 and our soil is sandy and poor, so have no luck with pumpkins, etc. Or maybe it's just me!
I used to have buckets under the roofline to catch rainwater. My husband used to have a fit about them all the time! UNTIL we had a terrible storm and no electricity or water for 6 days. BUT my buckets were great for toilet flushing and watering the animals! We still laugh about that! Nope, he never complains about my strange methods anymore!:crazy:
I'm trying to talk him into getting a few chickens to eat all the TICKS, but no luck so far!:chicken:
It is so much fun to get together with a friend or neighbor and work together.
And then SWIM in the POOL when you're done![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the link Angelz, I will go there and read. I have always been afraid of a pressure cooker/canner, but I guess they have been greatly improved upon since the 50's/60's. I have always used a hot water bath to can tomatoes too. My husbands boss's wife uses a pressure canner all the time to can venison and she loves it. Another guy at work borrowed it to can his venison and also had no problem. I can remember my mom using a pressure cooker a few times while I was growing up and we weren't allowed in the kitchen because it might explode. I wonder where I might have gotten my fear of pressure cookers from....lol!

I'm sorry that I haven't checked back in with this thread. I really didn't know anyone would be interested in making their own laundry detergent, and I wasn't sure if this was the thread to put that recipe either. Thank you for the warm reception.

To answer the question of how many bars I grate for 6 mos. supply. I buy Zote bars and I don't have a wrapper left to tell the oz. of the bar. They are fairly large so I use 6-8 (depends on how many are on the shelf, I am not the only one that buys them I guess!).

I buy 2 4lb boxes of Borax and 2 large boxes of Washing Soda (none left) that would be about the equal amount of Borax.

I keep mine in a large tote with a lid (rubbermaid storage box that I had around not using) I have another smaller container that I had laying around (old kitty litter container scoop away) that I transfer from large bin to smaller so that it is easy to move around in laundry room. I store my large container in my pantry on the floor.

About Borax. I can't use a lot of cleansers that have fragrance to them.(triggers asthma) I use borax to clean out my tubs of hard water and the soap scum that comes from them. I simply make a loose paste, rub it all over the tub...faucets and shower walls. Wait about 15 mins? (while I clean the other areas of the bathroom) and then go back and the soap scum washes off with very little elbow grease. Cheap, easy, allergy friendly and green to boot.

Another thing about Borax is it will kill fugus and mold. Bleach doesn't. Make a loose paste of Borax for grout if you have mold or mildew and let set for a while. Go back and scrub out with brush and all gone. Kills the spores not just bleach them out so that you can't see them.

I had a problem with mold growing on the walls of one bathroom because we didn't know that the vent fan had broken. I used Borax to clean the mold off the walls. Never another problem, after the fan was fixed.

Thank you for the lye soap recipe, once we move and get settled again I'll be experiementing with that! :)

For those that don't shop Walmart, I have found a few items such as lye soap and borax at Ace Hardware and other home shops.

Is this thread only for gardening tips? I have been making my own laundry soap for about 2 yrs how because two of my children have severe allergies and exzema.

I can share my recipe if anyone likes...it saves me around about 500.00 to 600.00 dollars a year and it's easier on the skin and it's "green".

If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post how to do it and the fabric softner I use instead of buying it.

Wow! I make my own to! Practically the same recipe. I use Ivory bar soap-cant find the Fels or Castile soap around here. I also use the vinegar in the rinse. I love essential oils with lavender being my favorite so I add some to the detergent and to the rinse water. I also make lavender sachets for my dryer. I grow lavender too. Can you tell I like lavender?lol...

Did your mother use a pop bottle with a gadget that you put in the bottle opening that had little holes in it in order to sprinkle the clothes? OM, I remember so well my mother doing this and then rolling them up in a plastic bag and putting in the fridge. Wasn't life beautiful and so much simplier???

Hi CIS, just getting back after being away a couple of days. Yes, that's exactly what she used! I forget just how and why it worked. I know spray bottles weren't everything in those days, but it seems like they would have been.

I am going to try making that soap recipe. My mother used to use Fels Naphtha all the time. She would just moisten the fabric and the bar and rub the fabric on the bar, then soak and throw in the (wringer!) washer.

I think a lot of the old stuff is a good thing to do. Some of it isn't but much of it is!

I'm sorry that I haven't checked back in with this thread. I really didn't know anyone would be interested in making their own laundry detergent, and I wasn't sure if this was the thread to put that recipe either. Thank you for the warm reception.

To answer the question of how many bars I grate for 6 mos. supply. I buy Zote bars and I don't have a wrapper left to tell the oz. of the bar. They are fairly large so I use 6-8 (depends on how many are on the shelf, I am not the only one that buys them I guess!).

I buy 2 4lb boxes of Borax and 2 large boxes of Washing Soda (none left) that would be about the equal amount of Borax.

I keep mine in a large tote with a lid (rubbermaid storage box that I had around not using) I have another smaller container that I had laying around (old kitty litter container scoop away) that I transfer from large bin to smaller so that it is easy to move around in laundry room. I store my large container in my pantry on the floor.

About Borax. I can't use a lot of cleansers that have fragrance to them.(triggers asthma) I use borax to clean out my tubs of hard water and the soap scum that comes from them. I simply make a loose paste, rub it all over the tub...faucets and shower walls. Wait about 15 mins? (while I clean the other areas of the bathroom) and then go back and the soap scum washes off with very little elbow grease. Cheap, easy, allergy friendly and green to boot.

Another thing about Borax is it will kill fugus and mold. Bleach doesn't. Make a loose paste of Borax for grout if you have mold or mildew and let set for a while. Go back and scrub out with brush and all gone. Kills the spores not just bleach them out so that you can't see them.

I had a problem with mold growing on the walls of one bathroom because we didn't know that the vent fan had broken. I used Borax to clean the mold off the walls. Never another problem, after the fan was fixed.

Thank you for the lye soap recipe, once we move and get settled again I'll be experiementing with that! :)

For those that don't shop Walmart, I have found a few items such as lye soap and borax at Ace Hardware and other home shops.

Great post Kat, you have lit a fire under me! I have a relative who will probably want to chip in on this. She has a lot of cats so we have plenty of scoop away containers to use to store it all. And thanks for the tip about where else to buy Zote!

Hey guys, I wanted to let you guys know what I am doing. I wanted to share it because I think its a good idea for everyone to do. As links are posted I print off the page I got a three ring binder and I am putting together a survival , How to book for my family. I know that you can easily go buy a book but, you can put together your own and it can cover a variety of different topics which might apply to your specific situation.... Such as this website: http://www.wildernesscollege.com/plants-used-for-medicine.html
It is important to me to know what plants can be used as medicines if it ever comes down to not having access to certain meds. I have two kids with Asthma, my son has a skin condition in which everytime he gets a bug bite or a scratch it gets infected. I have found that Honey as well as garlic are great for wounds. I am already using some of these things, it helps with cost to. If we ever do get in the situation where we have to "live off the land" I want to be sure I am prepared, but going from a lifestyle where things are readily available on demand to a senerio where things such as food and medicines are not available, it might be a good idea to go ahead now and put together a survival guide for your own family. Thanks guys for all the links, the gardening tips are wonderful. I apologize if this is off topic, but actually its not I think its a great idea for everyone to print this stuff off.

:clap: great idea! I can still access my info even if the power goes out!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!

Hi CIS, just getting back after being away a couple of days. Yes, that's exactly what she used! I forget just how and why it worked. I know spray bottles weren't everything in those days, but it seems like they would have been.

I am going to try making that soap recipe. My mother used to use Fels Naphtha all the time. She would just moisten the fabric and the bar and rub the fabric on the bar, then soak and throw in the (wringer!) washer.

I think a lot of the old stuff is a good thing to do. Some of it isn't but much of it is!

The little metal gadget had cork around it to hold it in the pop bottle and the the head had little tiny holes in it that the water sprinkled out of onto the clothes. I wonder if my mom still has hers somewhere? I must say the steam iron was a great invention. I'll see if I can find a graphic of one somewhere on the net.

357238386.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members