Ronald proposes to Misty

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMGosh! Ok, now this is just my opinion...but...it seems as though somebody in the knowledge of law could have enlightened RC as to the ramifications of everything brought to light. While it may seem irrational for anyone closely involved in this case to become engaged, for RC it may have been a smart move. I'd probably bet that several people have complained to LE that RC hasn't been charged with an offense relating to MC's age. In my eyes, this might have been a smart move by RC, even strategic maybe...but then again, who are we to judge. He would not have to testify against MC (if it ever came down to that), and it would emancipate MC from any wrong doing (in regards to their relationship) when in comparison to their ages. Wow! I feel so bad for them, all of them. I sure hope their relationship ends up well, and we're all worrying about nothing. For some reason, though, I'm not thinking that to be the case...and it's worrisome. Maybe they're just latching onto each other b/c that's where they find the most comfort...could that explain it? Man, I feel so bad for these young people. There's small children involved, even if Haleigh is never found, and I wonder how this will impact them. I think of Ron Jr. and how this will effect him when compiled on top of his sister being abducted or missing. I just hope and pray that it all ends up well...and with good intentions behind everything.

Not true, he can still be charged since they were not married at the time the statutory rape would have happened.

But it would be an extreme waste of tax payers money to prosecute a legally married couple in a statutory rape case. I think the county would get a lot of criticism for wasting money and a jury most likely would not convict him.

Florida Statute 90.504(3) There is no privilege under this section:
(b) In a criminal proceeding in which one spouse is charged with a crime committed at any time against the person or property of the other spouse, or the person or property of a child of either.

So, it looks like the spousal privilege immunity against testifying cant be used if it is regarding a crime against a child.

I just saw this and wanted to say thank you so much! I posted before I saw your post. Thanks again.

Just wondering, what constitutes a 'common-law marriage'? Could an attorney argue that since they are living together they are (legally) married so they can not testify against one another.

There is no common law marriage in Florida.

The first thing that came into my mind was that RC was trying to protect himself from future charges from being with a minor. Second was the rights they would have as husband and wife if they ever had to go to court they could not testify against each other. This is really odd and I feel this is inappropriate. Haleigh is still missing and the last thing on Ronald's mind should be getting married to someone who pretty much lost his child. She was the last one home and for what ever reason the child went missing.

Misty claims Haleigh wanted this marriage and wanted to call her mom? Did I also read that right?
I to have step children and I never asked them to call me Mom...Mommy...or Mother. They have a mother. I love them dearly and the oldest after 8 years now calls me step mom. I don't mind, it was her choice. I love them unconditionally and would never try to replace their mother. As for Haleigh calling Misty mom it's a bunch of B.S. "IMO". There is something more here and those two are trying to protect each other for what ever reason. This is not the time for a marriage or celebration and Misty showing off a ring that was paid by whom? Ron is not working! I am really bothered by this. This case is starting to remind me of another case where none of the money donated was used in the search.

But it would be an extreme waste of tax payers money to prosecute a legally married couple in a statutory rape case. I think the county would get a lot of criticism for wasting money and a jury most likely would not convict him.

I agree. ;) Big waste in this case.

Just wondering, what constitutes a 'common-law marriage'? Could an attorney argue that since they are living together they are (legally) married so they can not testify against one another.

there's no common law marriage in FL

If I may recap: shacked up with a minor, child kidnapped, let's go to a great artist for some tattoo and let's get married too.

This is substratum of society that I'm glad I'm not familiar with.

This is interesting behavior at a time of devastation in my book! RC couldnt go back in the home, cuz it was too painful, too many memories of lil Haleigh. Yet, he can sweep that pain under the rug for abit to pop the question to Misty ... hmmm
I didnt put too much stock in RC getting the tatoo (I thought the location where he got it was interesting), but to pop the question while Haleigh is still missing. RC has his priorities alil mixed up! JMO

There are so many things wrong with this picture, where do you start? This is not normal, you can try to color it and spin it anyway you want to, but folks this ain't right!

It's not for us to judge. It is a faux paux to us however I think Ron is looking for any comfort he can find. I really think he is lost right now and not thinking with a clear head.

It also could be because of the felony he is looking at. Who knows what goes through people's heads during times like this. I for one, never want to find that out.

It's not for us to judge. It is a faux paux to us however I think Ron is looking for any comfort he can find. I really think he is lost right now and not thinking with a clear head.

It also could be because of the felony he is looking at. Who knows what goes through people's heads during times like this. I for one, never want to find that out.

What felony is he looking at ?

it sure would have been nice to have haleigh at the wedding for the flower girl. bring the baby girl home first.

Florida does not recognize common law marriage.

Isn't it true that a spouse can refrain from testifying against their partner or something like that??

Spousal privilege is not retro active

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spousal_privilege

The privilege is usually restricted to confidential communications made during marriage and does not include communications made before the marriage or after divorce. The privilege does, however, generally survive the divorce; that is, a person can be prevented from testifying about confidential communications with an ex-spouse made during the marriage.

I personally think they are already married. In the pictures were he is showing the tattoo he has a wedding band on. In the original pictures the first few weeks he does not have a wedding band on.

Florida Evidence Code Section 90.504:

90.504 Husband-wife privilege.--

(1) A spouse has a privilege during and after the marital relationship to refuse to disclose, and to prevent another from disclosing, communications which were intended to be made in confidence between the spouses while they were husband and wife.

(2) The privilege may be claimed by either spouse or by the guardian or conservator of a spouse. The authority of a spouse, or guardian or conservator of a spouse, to claim the privilege is presumed in the absence of contrary evidence.

(3) There is no privilege under this section:

(a) In a proceeding brought by or on behalf of one spouse against the other spouse.

(b) In a criminal proceeding in which one spouse is charged with a crime committed at any time against the person or property of the other spouse, or the person or property of a child of either.(c) In a criminal proceeding in which the communication is offered in evidence by a defendant-spouse who is one of the spouses between whom the communication was made.

It is far beyond a faux pas. This is much more than a mis-step, much more than a break with social norms. This is down to a level where we as a society SHOULD judge. Ron might very well need comfort. I do not begrudge him comfort. I DO have reservations, and quite strong ones, that he would seek his comfort from a child. Misty is a child, no matter how street-wise she may appear. If he is not thinking with a clear head, then it should be the judgment of society to say "Dude, marrying a teenager while your daughter is missing and presumed in extreme danger at the very least and most likely dead is a bad idea." I simply don't believe that society saying that to Ron will make it heard. It will just be one more opportunity for him to believe it is him against the world.

If it is the second thing, "the felony he's looking at" (I assume you're speaking of him perhaps facing statutory rape charges) then should he be allowed to tie this young girl to him legally, when legally the world views her as a victim of a sexual predator? That's what statutory rape is. The child is taken advantage of.

In either case, her parents are obviously signing the paper. It makes one wonders how many times they've handed her over to be victimized.

I wish the best for them. I do not think either of them is guilty of hurting Haliegh.

Ron may have felt the need to do it now as he has lost his daughter and cannot imagine losing anyone else in his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle