CO CO - Paul, 38, & Sarah Skiba, 9, co-worker Lorenzo Chivers, 36, Grandy, 7 Feb 1999

Airys_01

Reaction score
I'm a long time visitor/new member to WS and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a case involving a father, his daughter, and the father's employee who went missing. The case was shown on unsolved mysteries and I also saw the little girls picture on a missing persons website a while ago. The father and daughter were both Caucasian and the employee was a African American male. The police felt that all three were probably murdered because no trace of the individuals was found. I believe that it was probably solved but I never heard about any conclusion to it. Does this case ring a bell to anyone?

I seem to remember an unsolved mysteries segment about a man who maybe drove trucks and his partner in the truck and his young daughter who he took to work all disappeared. Unfortunilty, I don't recall much else about the segment. I seem to think
there was an update and it was all drug related.

mjak

I'm a long time visitor/new member to WS and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a case involving a father, his daughter, and the father's employee who went missing. The case was shown on unsolved mysteries and I also saw the little girls picture on a missing persons website a while ago. The father and daughter were both Caucasian and the employee was a African American male. The police felt that all three were probably murdered because no trace of the individuals was found. I believe that it was probably solved but I never heard about any conclusion to it. Does this case ring a bell to anyone?

Airys 01 - I too am a long-time visitor who just registered. I love reading all the discussions on here. I'm not on here often because I work a lot and probably won't post too much but again, I'm fascinated by cold cases and reading the discussions on here.

I think I have an answer to your post. When I saw it, I remembered I had just read something on the Charley Project website about the case. You may already have the answer but in case you don't here's the info. The missing trio are Paul Skiba, his daughter Sarah Skiba and co-worker Lorenzo Chivers. They've been missing from Westminster, Colorado since February 1999. Here's the link to Paul Skiba's info:

www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/skiba_paul.html

You can click on that and then the names of the other two that are missing are on Paul Skiba's page if you want to click on their names to get info on them. There really hasn't been too much new on the case, but they have just issued death certificates for all three of them so that is why they updated their case on the Charley Project.

Hope this helps and I look forward to reading about more cold cases on here!

Police are asking for the public's help in solving a 9-year-old Westminster cold case involving the disappearance and probable murder of three people.

Since February 8, 1999, the Westminster Police Department and the Thornton Police Department have investigated the suspicious disappearance of Paul Skiba, his daughter Sarah Skiba, and Lorenzo Chivers; an employee of Paul Skiba’s moving company.

http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Police, at first, believed recently divorced small-businessman Paul Skiba had kidnapped his 9-year-old daughter, Sarah, with the help of an employee and that they had all vanished together.

Sarah’s mother, Michelle Russell, reported her daughter missing when she was not returned home after the weekend of Feb. 7, 1999. Thinking Skiba had abducted Sarah in a custody dispute, police sought warrants for his arrest.

But Paul Skiba’s mother, Sharon Skiba, knew he had just borrowed money to buy a third truck for his Tuff Movers company and would never do anything to jeopardize visiting rights with his daughter.

So Sharon Skiba and friends went to the Westminster lot where her son stored his trucks near 72nd Avenue and Raleigh Street, and they found blood smeared inside the cab of the truck and numerous bullet holes on the side of the white 1978 Chevrolet moving truck.

Shell casings were littered about on the ground. Then Sharon Skiba saw pieces of a scalp with hair attached outside the truck.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2008/02/11/new-profile-three-presumed-dead-after-scalp-found/

Ok I have a question, is it possible Chivers killed the father and daughter for some reason and left? The article on doe says that the blood was of the father an daughter but none of the other man. I found that strange.

Ok I have a question, is it possible Chivers killed the father and daughter for some reason and left? The article on doe says that the blood was of the father an daughter but none of the other man. I found that strange.

I thought it was strange too when I read the Doe articles this morning and they didn't mention anything about finding Chivers DNA. I never thought of Chivers as a suspect in this case but when I read that this morning on Doe, it certainly crossed my mind.

AHHHHH! I am SO frustrated after reading the article I posted above. The cops in this case were completely incompetent. Why would they treat people the way they did. My God. There are bullet holes, blood, a chunk of scalp but NOPE, not crime committed here. They refused to secure the scene, the refused to treat it as a crimescene and proceeded to contaiminate any evidence there was by not wearing gloves of foot coverings, when they returned the truck after taking it for 'examination' it had hair and scalp stuck to it!

I feel so bad for Paul's mother. She bankrupted herself trying to save Paul's assests and then she was chastized for it and that ***** of a girlfriend took everything for herslef and son. I would never do that to someone. If I knew how broke Sharon was out of trying to keep Paul's assets in place, paying his mortgage, etc I would never take all that money and not offer her any of it. I would be very surprised if the son really is Paul's kid.

I really think that Teresa (girlfriend) and her brother killed Paul, Sarah and Cheevers. Her brother hated Paul, Teresa had already been trying to trap him with the baby for money. It is amazing with no paternity tests done and the fact that Teresa and Paul were not married that she was entitled to anything. It was all for the baby, the courts ruled, but they wouldn't do a paternity test?

The whole case just makes me nuts with frustration!

I can't help but wonder if somneone in le was involved with drug trade and that's why the investigation was so poor.
It does say that sometime later a dna test was done on the baby that showed he was the father, but the grandmother is suspicious of it. I think there had been to many years of distrust between the women for them to ever come together which is sad. Knowing the girlfriend was on disability due to arthritis I can understand why she had to be sleeping a lot etc and I have a feeling his mother never saw her as someone good enough for her son.

VB

I can't help but wonder if somneone in le was involved with drug trade and that's why the investigation was so poor.
It does say that sometime later a dna test was done on the baby that showed he was the father, but the grandmother is suspicious of it. I think there had been to many years of distrust between the women for them to ever come together which is sad. Knowing the girlfriend was on disability due to arthritis I can understand why she had to be sleeping a lot etc and I have a feeling his mother never saw her as someone good enough for her son.

VB

From what I understood from the article the paternity test was done but Teresa wouldn't show it to anyone.
I know that people can be protrayed unfairly in the media but I still can't help but be suspicious of her. The fact she has ran so hard for all of Paul's assets, apparently she flunked the lie detector, she had motive, Paul was planning on leaving her,etc.

The other angle is the drug connection. If it is true he was using the business as a drug selling front that could have certainly been his downfall. I don't know if this is true or just a rumour.

I really think that Teresa (girlfriend) and her brother killed Paul, Sarah and Cheevers. Her brother hated Paul, Teresa had already been trying to trap him with the baby for money. It is amazing with no paternity tests done and the fact that Teresa and Paul were not married that she was entitled to anything. It was all for the baby, the courts ruled, but they wouldn't do a paternity test?

Well, that seems to be an obvious conclusion. Who benefitted? They had to know he had money on him for the purchase of a truck--so they get that right away. They couldn't risk waiting for a paternity test that would go the wrong way or that Paul might get away with a minimal support order. She might have to work! And find her own place to live! Lorenzo was talking about leaving her sister, so he was expendable. Then they just hang on and wait until the settlement and they get nearly a quarter million dollars.

Big money to people who aren't much on working.

bumping. I just ran across this case today. Either all three were murdered or Chivers murdered Paul and Sarah. They only found their blood. Paul allegedly had a sum of money on him because he was going to buy a new truck.

Here is an article from 2008

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcas...hree-presumed-dead-after-scalp-found/#more-19

Great comprehensive look at the case. 12 pages long.
http://www.westword.com/2008-02-14/news/a-cold-case-frozen-in-time/

Thanks for posting those articles, gaia. I have never really read anything in-depth about this case before..just what was on Charley Project and Doe. It does sound like Teresa and her brother had everything to do with this. I feel so sorry for Paul's Mom, Sharon, who has worked so hard on this case, then losing all that money from the house. And then Teresa getting all the money she got! I'm not sure I believe that Paul was running a drug operation out of his moving business. I think Teresa may have started that rumor to take any suspicion off her and her brother, trying to make Paul look bad. The whole case was a shambles starting with the investigators saying there was no crime! :sheesh: What a travesty of justice in this case all the way around. :mad:

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating. I feel really bad for Sharon too. Not only did she lose her son and grand-daughter, she went bankrupt trying to protect her son's assets. I just don't understand how Teresa who was not married to Paul was entitled to anything of his especially when the paternity of the baby at that time seemed to still be in question. Even if the baby was his I thought it would be more difficult for the female to get a settlement since she was not married to the man. I guess not.

I am not real confident in the drug rumours either. I think it possible Paul might have sold a little weed here and there to friends but not to the extent it was blown up to be.

The behavior of LE is unexcusable. It is so hard to swallow they can behave that way and there are no consequences for it. To return a car to the family and it still has hair and skull fragments on it that is just plain negligence. I bet they did not even examine the car. I get so mad when I think about it. Why would you become a Detective if you didn't give a crap about people in dire situations?

Investigational misconduct happens and as Paul was the son of a law enforcement officer, the officers (thinking it was a custody dispute) were perhaps attempting to protect one of their own? Who knows. Cops have bad days too, especially beat cops which the first responder was. The detectives seem to have done their best. The case seems relatively clear to me what happened but lack of evidence has stymied the whole thing. What a shame.

I can't believe they haven't arrested the people responsible for this, by all accounts of the story we know who they are. Had the PD don't their job right this case would have been solved in a week.

Few things that stand out or are questionable about the case:
What about the new gate lock, did PD ever track down where it came from and who purchased it?
I wonder if the police question people around where the cars were found, how long had they been there.
I wonder if the moving trucks keys were left in the truck?

I do find Jerry's story a little much, he gets sick in his car why did he feel the need to share that in this story? Is it because sometimes murders get sick after the kill? He said he didn't want to cut the lock, in case it was evidence (evidence of what he didn't know anything yet). Jerry didn't tell the police that Teresa went to the lot that night.

We have Teresa who is getting kicked to the curb by Paul, she places herself at the crime Sunday night and fails a LD test.

We have Tom (Teresa's brother) who hates Paul, is glad he is dead tells Sharon both were shot in the head and she is next.

We have Bobbie-Jo who was losing her boyfriend to his wife Misha, they were talking about getting back together. 5 days after Lorenzo is missing she packs up all his son (Josh) things and puts them out the front door. She also told Misha, Lorenzo wasn't coming back.

It took 3 to 4 people to pull this off. The cars were found in two separate locations and it would have had to been someone that knows how to drive a moving truck. The ramp is heavy and strapping bodies to the ramp required strength to get it off the truck. I believe as the police said Lorenzo was mostly likely forced to help and killed else where. If the bodies were dumped in water they are not far from shore some place that a truck can pull up to the water and dump the ramp.
This has got to be one of the saddest stories. I feel so bad for the families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back