Revisiting the Hot Body Contest/"Ugly Coping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear Prudence

Reaction score
Tonight At 11: Casey's Defense?
WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing investigates possible strategies for Casey Anthony's defense team.

http://www.wesh.com/video/19309812/index.html

In this teaser video for tonight's news on WESH, Bob Kealing talks about there being similarities between Casey and Cynthia Sommer's case and that it was Baez that told him of this case.

Here is a news article about Sommer's case:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-poison29nov29,0,702496.story?coll=la-home-center

She was convicted of murder and it was later overturned and dismissed due to new testing related to the cause of death. The only similarity to Casey's case is that Sommer partied hard and had casual sex partners in the time period after the death. This was presented at the original trial which her appeals attorney later argued unfairly prejudiced the jury and should not have been allowed.

One question this raises for me is will Casey's partying (Fusian pictures) and illegal activities (Target shopping spree) after Caylee was last seen be allowed at trial? Do you think Baez is right to draw a parallel to the Sommer case?

Tonight At 11: Casey's Defense?
WESH 2 News reporter Bob Kealing investigates possible strategies for Casey Anthony's defense team.

http://www.wesh.com/video/19309812/index.html

In this teaser video for tonight's news on WESH, Bob Kealing talks about there being similarities between Casey and Cynthia Sommer's case and that it was Baez that told him of this case.

Here is a news article about Sommer's case:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-poison29nov29,0,702496.story?coll=la-home-center

She was convicted of murder and it was later overturned and dismissed due to new testing related to the cause of death. The only similarity to Casey's case is that Sommer partied hard and had casual sex partners in the time period after the death. This was presented at the original trial which her appeals attorney later argued unfairly prejudiced the jury and should not have been allowed.

One question this raises for me is will Casey's partying (Fusian pictures) and illegal activities (Target shopping spree) after Caylee was last seen be allowed at trial? Do you think Baez is right to draw a parallel to the Sommer case?

I've also heard KC compared to Sam Shepherd. He was, after his death, found innocent based on new tech.

Neither of these comparisons seems valid, IMHO. We now HAVE the tech, The cutting edge of which is being used, in this case.

He has overdosed on Koolaid. He is reaching so far out there now it is pathetic.

As her attorney, he is obligated to try to cast doubt on everything the state says about her. The good news is if this is the best he's got, he hasn't got much.

He just likes hearing himself talk...As long as he feeds the media these short interviews..he keeps his face on TV...he is simply out for the long run...fame and fortune for himself. I hope if he (or any other defense team person) writes a book/movie deal, that NO ONE buys/reads it and they all fall flat on their collective faces.

groan.gif

Evidence that goes to state of mind ... more probative than prejudicial ... surely Baez has heard these terms?

Case in Point:

Peterson Got *advertiser censored* TV Once Laci Disappeared

Scott Peterson's TV-watching habits changed abruptly after his wife Laci disappeared, and then changed again when police raided his house, according to witness testimony in the double-murder trial on Tuesday.

A satellite TV employee testified that 15 days after Laci went missing, Scott began ordering programming that his pregnant wife was said not to have approved of: explicit adult material, starting with the Playboy Channel and graduating to more hardcore attractions.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,676017,00.html

He made his intentions clear the day he said he was the "first" Hispanic attorney to have a case this big. His head was close to exploding that day. He is going to run this whole case into the ground to keep his name out there regardless if he is hurting his client or not.

Can an attorney in a Florida State trial use or cite case law from a case in another state?

groan.gif

Evidence that goes to state of mind ... more probative than prejudicial ... surely Baez has heard these terms?

The judge in Sommer's trial was not going to allow the testimony regarding her behavior following the death saying it didn't prove anything about the alleged murder itself. The defense attorney messed up by putting Cynthia's mother on the stand to testify that she was curled up and cried after the death. So then the judge allowed the prosecutor to present witnesses to refute this. Do you think it possible that this could happen at Casey's trial, the judge not allowing testimony regarding her behavior? Is it more prejudicial than probative or vice versa?

I'm feelin' sad for Baez. :boohoo: He no longer is in control of the gravy train and only after he's 'technically' been removed from 1st chair as Florida courts will not allow him to handle a dp case, has he decided to come to the media in this format. Why the silence for so very long JB? Then you sit for an interview?

Poor guy, not going to make the money he thought he would.
:twocents:

The judge in Sommer's trial was not going to allow the testimony regarding her behavior following the death saying it didn't prove anything about the alleged murder itself. The defense attorney messed up by putting Cynthia's mother on the stand to testify that she was curled up and cried after the death. So then the judge allowed the prosecutor to present witnesses to refute this. Do you think it possible that this could happen at Casey's trial, the judge not allowing testimony regarding her behavior? Is it more prejudicial than probative or vice versa?

Maybe because she made statements to the police that she was conducting her own investigation, the behavior evidence will be allowed in to impeach her claims?

Thanks for the link on the Peterson trial, Dawn Treador.
So it's up to the judge and really could go either way? I wonder if this testimony is one reason SP can use to argue for a retrial like Sommer did. Interesting.

I am not seeing any similarities. She didn't wait 31 days to tell anyone, she didn't lie about everything and anything, she did not steal from everyone around her, she was not found to have done any computer searches for neck breaking, chloroform or anything else, her attorney did not appear on every talk show that would have him, her family did not go off live a bunch of raving lunatics with lies and accusations.
The only similarity I see is they both will have been convicted of Murder!

PS... the other similarity is she was/will be granted a new trial because of ineffective assistance at trial. :))

I don't know about anyone else but it seems JB is acting like KC has already been convicted and he is working on an appeal.

I realize there are some of us that believe she is guilty...well maybe most of us...but the trial has yet to be and yet he is acting like we are starting the appeals process...

Seems a little backwards...

PS... the other similarity is she was/will be granted a new trial because of ineffective assistance at trial. :))

OH :shocked2: I sure hope you're wrong on that point Just___me. I was very pleased when SP's trial was finished and I no longer had to watch his smug little face on the news every night.

The best thing to happen for Caylee is for her killer to be long forgotten, never utter another word about her or her name. Have no money in the commesary to buy snacks & treats and live in general population (wishful thinking).

I'm not an attorney - so I can't answer any legal-based questions with authority.

In terms of Casey A.'s trial, the Florida state statutes and rules of evidence will be applicable, not California's.

Here's a list of statutes for those who would like to do some research and/or better understand the issues at hand. I wouldn't worry too much about appellate concerns at this junction. I think the state has a solid case building against KC.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0090/titl0090.htm&StatuteYear=2004&Title=%2D%3E2004%2D%3EChapter%2090

There is a big difference here. Sommer's wild behavior occurred after her husband died. Casey's goes to her state of mind from the day her daughter went missing until Cindy called 911.

As was mentioned before, Casey lied to LE about her activities during those times.

Then, there is the "little detail" that her husband didn't die by poisoning. There was contamination in the lab!

I can see where JB is going to check out the tests thoroughly. What are the chances all the forensic matieral tested in this case will be contaminated just as badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak