5.0 Earthquake in SoCal Did you feel it?

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
we did

okay my prelim calls it a 4.7 but the news said it was a 5.0

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIF.
Geographic coordinates: 33.940N, 118.337W
Magnitude: 4.7 Ml
Depth: 13 km
Universal Time (UTC): 18 May 2009 03:39:36
Time near the Epicenter: 17 May 2009 20:39:36
Local standard time in your area: 18 May 2009 03:39:36

Location with respect to nearby cities:
2 km (1 miles) E (91 degrees) of Lennox, CA
2 km (1 miles) SSE (157 degrees) of Inglewood, CA
3 km (2 miles) NNE (23 degrees) of Hawthorne, CA
15 km (10 miles) SSW (213 degrees) of Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

Wow, that's a pretty good jolt! Didn't feel a thing here in Texas...lol

REVISED

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event has been revised.

Region: GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIF.
Geographic coordinates: 33.940N, 118.337W
Magnitude: 5.0 Ml
Depth: 13 km
Universal Time (UTC): 18 May 2009 03:39:36
Time near the Epicenter: 17 May 2009 20:39:36
Local standard time in your area: 18 May 2009 03:39:36

Location with respect to nearby cities:
2 km (1 miles) E (91 degrees) of Lennox, CA
2 km (1 miles) SSE (157 degrees) of Inglewood, CA
3 km (2 miles) NNE (23 degrees) of Hawthorne, CA
15 km (10 miles) SSW (213 degrees) of Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

Glad you are safe Jbean. I am so afraid of Earthquakes....I would freak! Did anything fall in the house? I would immediately want to go up in a helicopter...LOL

Glad you are safe Jbean. I am so afraid of Earthquakes....I would freak! Did anything fall in the house? I would immediately want to go up in a helicopter...LOL
Oh no! we are fine we just shake rattle and roll a bit. i would like to hear from some of LA residents. they probably got a good jolt.

We're in San Diego and we sure did feel it -- windows were shaking, couch moving. I can't imagine what the folks felt in Los Angeles.

Stay safe everyone.

Melanie

We were at dinner at Chili's in Santa Clarita last night. Didn't feel a thing thankfully. I am terrified of earthquakes. Went through the Northridge one and hope to never have to experience that again.

Oh no! we are fine we just shake rattle and roll a bit. i would like to hear from some of LA residents. they probably got a good jolt.
I'll tell 'ya when I hear from my family.

We were at dinner at Chili's in Santa Clarita last night. Didn't feel a thing thankfully. I am terrified of earthquakes. Went through the Northridge one and hope to never have to experience that again.
I wasn't there for that one, but I was there for the 1971 Sylmar quake and I went through the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

I didn't even feel this one! I was in a room full of people, there were six of us, and none of us felt a thing. We started getting phone calls just minutes after it happened, from friends in other states asking if we were alright- that's how we found out about it!

I did feel the one we had a couple of weeks ago, on May 8th. It was only a 4.2 in strength. I live in Thousand Oaks, and the epicenter of that one was just one town away, in Westlake Village. It only lasted a few seconds, but I heard it, as well as felt it.

Don't tell anybody, but I secretly love the feeling of earthquakes! I don't want anyone to get hurt, or any damage to be done, of course, but just the sheer thrill of having the earth rolling under foot can only be compared to standing on a surfboard on top of the incoming tide. It feels like waves under your feet!

I was born and raised here in "SoCali", in Agoura Hills, and remember some big earthquakes when I was a kid, and I guess the feeling of excitement just carried over to adulthood.

I didn't even feel this one! I was in a room full of people, there were six of us, and none of us felt a thing. We started getting phone calls just minutes after it happened, from friends in other states asking if we were alright- that's how we found out about it!

I did feel the one we had a couple of weeks ago, on May 8th. It was only a 4.2 in strength. I live in Thousand Oaks, and the epicenter of that one was just one town away, in Westlake Village. It only lasted a few seconds, but I heard it, as well as felt it.

Don't tell anybody, but I secretly love the feeling of earthquakes! I don't want anyone to get hurt, or any damage to be done, of course, but just the sheer thrill of having the earth rolling under feet can only be compared to standing on a surfboard on top of the incoming tide. It feels like waves under your feet!

I was born and raised here in "SoCali", in Agoura Hills, and remember some big earthquakes when I was a kid, and I guess the feeling of excitement just carried over to adulthood.
Not me! I bolt for the doorjam if I even feel a hint of a jolt! I'll bolt even if my hubby shakes the bed!:crazy:

I'll tell 'ya when I hear from my family.

I wasn't there for that one, but I was there for the 1971 Sylmar quake and I went through the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

Hi LinasK. I've lived in the S.F. Bay Area my whole life and the Loma Prieta quake was by far the strongest since 1906. ( I wasn't around for that one, lol)

Reading your post reminded me that it will be 20 years since Loma Prieta in October. Wow, it's hard to realize it's been that long ago.

Oh--thank you for admitting that! I have only been through one when we lived in So Cal., but it was scary and thrilling at the same time. However, I do know the reality that earthquakes can be real danger for many people, so would never wish an earthquake on anyone!

Don't tell anybody, but I secretly love the feeling of earthquakes! I don't want anyone to get hurt, or any damage to be done, of course, but just the sheer thrill of having the earth rolling under foot can only be compared to standing on a surfboard on top of the incoming tide. It feels like waves under your feet!

I am glad all our Cally friends are okay.

I experienced a little earthquake when I was a girl - Charleston, SC where I was raised sits on a fairly sizeable fault. I too found it a bit thrilling, but I think it might freak me a little to live in a place that had them regularly!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back