2009.05.28 Motions Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to stir anything, but was that grief for KC or Caylee?

You are the second person to ask me that tonight. :)

I have no clue as I have no window into their souls. All I can tell you is they both spontaneously and at different intervals began to cry. Cindy seemed to be upset that she could not see Casey. George seemed to be upset when the descriptions of Casey hearing about Caylee were revealed.

respectably snipped

Could the A's be upset due to the upcoming document dump? It seems they get the information before the public does. Perhaps that is why they are so upset, just throwing that out there.

That's what I was hoping! But then when the defense attorneys were holding that confrence, Macaluso made a comment that there is no evidence in this trial. In other words, I think if there was something in this doc dump that was very incriminating (fingerprints, DNA, stain in trunk, etc) he wouldn't have made that statement :confused:

After spending the last several hours watching the hearing and reading this thread, I have a few observations (some/most have been covered, so I apologize):

**The argument JB makes that KC's "right to privacy" has been violated is laughable when he is so aggressively seeks to invade the privacy of those he is requesting erroneous cell phone/text records of.

**The argument made that KC's HIPPA rights were violated is laughable when they turn around and blatantly say there was no medical treatment. The facts regarding this video, such as no audio etc and their admittance that there is nothing damaging to her in the video all in the same breath as the argument that she has been done wrong and violated...is laughable.

**I wish his Honor would put is foot down and stop this circus! JB is making a mockery of his courtroom and I for one, am sickened by it!

**In the exit interviews given by the defense, JB once again states he wants to teach the media how to do their job. He's gonna school them. Gosh, I wish if he was a smart as he thinks he is schooling everyone on how to do their jobs, he'd school himself on proper courtroom etiquette!

**GA's grimace reminds me of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

**THE BIGGIE: In the back row of the audience, behind Rev. Grund, there is a man that in my opinion, very much resembles Patrick B. He is sitting alone in the corner. Does anyone else see this resemblance?

Ok, I have a question. The attorney was complaining today that the "media" was saying that it was reported KC collapsed in the chair, when if fact, judge, all the it said was no, she SAT in the chair.

I just re listened to T. Uncer's recording and she did IN FACT, say KC collapsed in the chair.

Am I wrong that he said that was reported incorrectly with a "media Spin" on it?

The only thing I can think of that maybe the attorney meant to say was one of the other jail employees was saying T Uncer was making an incorrect statement. However, I remember it being said that not ALL of the workers were present at all times, at the same times. So, maybe whoever said she was incorrect, just didn't see it.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

I was there today. The guy sitting in front of us was chewing gun, and one of the guards handed him a paper towel and made him take it out.

I guess Cindy & George finally got the message, heh
Muzikman...did the media have any representation there?

I'm interested in what AL will write in her upcoming motions she discussed regarding the SA's secret motives were for putting the DP back on.
1) To get a plea deal? I don't think so. The SA got a Murder 1 conviction with a GJ when there was NO BODY. Since then even more evidence that links to KC has come out. If they wanted her to plea, they would have never taken it off like they previously did. It doesn't make sense that they would take it off and then put it back on (after more evidence pointing towards KC comes out) in terms of wanting a plea deal.
2) To get rid of JB? Doubt this as well. He has to be the WORST defense attorney on the planet and Strickland has issues with him, as shown by the complaint he filed. Personally I would rather be up against an amature lawyer than a seasoned, successful DP veteran. Most people say the downside to this is that there could be an appeal based on ineffective counsel. I don't see that happening based on all the other top lawyers and experts she has on her defense team. KC has also made it clear several times that she doesn't want anyone but Baez.

Bottom line: the SA's case is extremely strong. One of the strongest pre-trial cases I've seen. They don't need to seek the DP for any "hidden agendas" b/c they feel their case is weak. If anything, filing for one if they didn't have a strong case could actually hurt them. The defense's accusations are ridiculous..

I was there today. The guy sitting in front of us was chewing gun, and one of the guards handed him a paper towel and made him take it out.

I guess Cindy & George finally got the message, heh

'Bout time.

I'm interested in what AL will write in her upcoming motions she discussed regarding the SA's secret motives were for putting the DP back on.
1) To get a plea deal? I don't think so. The SA got a Murder 1 conviction with a GJ when there was NO BODY. Since then even more evidence that links to KC has come out. If they wanted her to plea, they would have never taken it off like they previously did. It doesn't make sense that they would take it off and then put it back on (after more evidence pointing towards KC comes out) in terms of wanting a plea deal.
2) To get rid of JB? Doubt this as well. He has to be the WORST defense attorney on the planet and Strickland has issues with him, as shown by the complaint he filed. Personally I would rather be up against an amature lawyer than a seasoned, successful DP veteran. Most people say the downside to this is that there could be an appeal based on ineffective counsel. I don't see that happening based on all the other top lawyers and experts she has on her defense team. KC has also made it clear several times that she doesn't want anyone but Baez.

Bottom line: the SA's case is extremely strong. One of the strongest pre-trial cases I've seen. They don't need to seek the DP for any "hidden agendas" b/c they feel their case is weak. If anything, filing for one if they didn't have a strong case could actually hurt them. The defense's accusations are ridiculous..

You forgot this one, which is big with the tv talking head defense people: that they sought the DP only because they have a very weak case, and need a more likely to convict jury, which you get if they are all people who are willing to impose the DP and have said so in qualifying to be on he jury in a DP case. I don't think it matters, so long as the DP is available, but what do I know? Like the media, I haven't been to JB school for my education.

After spending the last several hours watching the hearing and reading this thread, I have a few observations (some/most have been covered, so I apologize):

**The argument JB makes that KC's "right to privacy" has been violated is laughable when he is so aggressively seeks to invade the privacy of those he is requesting erroneous cell phone/text records of.

**The argument made that KC's HIPPA rights were violated is laughable when they turn around and blatantly say there was no medical treatment. The facts regarding this video, such as no audio etc and their admittance that there is nothing damaging to her in the video all in the same breath as the argument that she has been done wrong and violated...is laughable.

**I wish his Honor would put is foot down and stop this circus! JB is making a mockery of his courtroom and I for one, am sickened by it!

**In the exit interviews given by the defense, JB once again states he wants to teach the media how to do their job. He's gonna school them. Gosh, I wish if he was a smart as he thinks he is schooling everyone on how to do their jobs, he'd school himself on proper courtroom etiquette!

**THE BIGGIE: In the back row of the audience, behind Rev. Grund, there is a man that in my opinion, very much resembles Patrick B. He is sitting alone in the corner. Does anyone else see this resemblance?

where is he sitting exactly? Him?
caseycourt-2.jpg

Did you see Cidy looking at and shaking her head when the DP lawyer entered the court thingy?

http://www.wesh.com/video/19591595/index.html

It's the "Casey arrives at court" video.

The media had no LEGAL representation there; had the Sentinel's attorney been there the motion would have been argued and (hopefully) finalized about the video.

What keeps coming to mind for me are the times that the defense whines about how slow the SA is to turn over evidence. And then complained, when the evidence was turned over,that it was released. The SA continually has to reiterate that it is bound by law, the nasty little three-letter word, to comply with the Sunshine Law in the State of Florida. It's their job. It's not a media ploy by the SA. Baez should know by now that whatever he asks for becomes fair game for the media and the public. Perhaps he should begin approaching state legislators to have the laws changed.

I want to see the video. There. I've said it. I want to see and hear and read everything available to me. I don't want a secondhand interpretation of the discovery, especially if it comes from Baez which is the only place from which it would come, since the SA does NOT hold media conferences, before or after court appearances. Prejudicial? Nothing could prejudice me more against this particular defendant than the personal opinion and belief that yes, she murdered her child.

Bold mine.

Yep me too. I want to see it because I want to make up my own mind on this case. I don't want to rely on anyone's spin.

JB and his ilk will always have something of an advantage here because they are the only ones speaking publicly - they can spin and spin and spin. The louder they are and the more they try to distract attention from being focused on the evidence (which speaks for itself) the more sure you can be that the defense is desperate.

**The argument JB makes that KC's "right to privacy" has been violated is laughable when he is so aggressively seeks to invade the privacy of those he is requesting erroneous cell phone/text records of. And his statements about how he never leaks anything, must be those mean people for the State...Then he steps out of the courtroom when he is done seeking the nearest camera to discuss his client with the media

**I wish his Honor would put is foot down and stop this circus! JB is making a mockery of his courtroom and I for one, am sickened by it! Judge Strick did not have a handle today, TM was allowed to go entirely too long on his accusations against the jail, the DOC had no opportunity to properly defend themselves

Will have to look for PB, he is like Waldo.

Ah, your saying you wouldn't be "had". But that doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't fall for it. JB is a BSer.. He talks in circles, etc. And everyone who has watched him work in the court room have been shocked at his supposed inexperience, gafts, etc.

In reading some of the chat today, it seems she, herself was rather surprised at JB.

Also, he has said the reason for the delay is because the DP person had to 'get ready'. She claims she wasn't ready. And as we know, the paperwork wasn't filed. Since there was a motion about this weeks ago, I think he should have been called to the floor to explain WHY she wasn't filed and in place before the start of the hearing. <shrug>

Bold mine.

Absolutely! The defense needs to stop wasting the court's time and be held to the same standards of professional behavior as any other lawyers would be.

:mad:

Yep, but like one_hooah_wife said just above your post, this isn't new DP's 1st rodeo in another state assisting local counsel with a DP case.

If new DP attorney were professional, she would've required (1) requisite motions be filed in advance of today + (2) motions to continue the outstanding substantive motions so she could get prepared. That way, no one wastes their time the way everyone's time got wasted today. So, surprised or not, AL did not act professionally by arriving in court today, opening her :biglaugh: and expecting to be able to speak before properly enrolling. Shows a complete lack of respect for court and everyone there.

That's why I don't think today was a "stall tactic" - the defense could've gotten any additional time they needed in a very professional fashion - and no one would have opposed same.

Just saying :clap:

Totally agree.

I am starting to think that all of these ill-written, illogical, unprofessional and whiny motions JB and his team are filing might be done on purpose as strategy to influence the jury pool and nothing else.

Sort of like on Dancing With the Stars, where numbers are choreographed specifically to appeal to the voting audience regardless of the fact they break rules for which the judges will deduct points.

Let's face it, these are all videotaped and streamed from every local media outlet and replayed nationally, often out of context to people who know way less than we do about the case - ie: potential jurors. Strickland has already chastised the defense for unseemly public appearances.

It struck me today that perhaps all this irrelevant, untimely and unnecessary info and posturing by the defense team is designed - like other courtroom tricks in which attorneys say something on purpose that they know will be formally stricken from the record but nevertheless stays in the jury's minds - to simply influence the public in little sound bytes.

For instance Jose implying that JG and AH are or were "suspects" - blatantly telegraphing and attempting to legitimize a SODDI direction - yet later arguing that specificity in telephone requests will uncloak vital clues to his defense strategy.

Macaluso, setting up his portion with unnecessary detail in which he tries to accuse the defendant of being "set up" by LE under pretense of a medical event, in which he claims her HIPAA rights are being violated (even though he does nothing to establish she is even protected under HIPAA criteria and further complains she is given no medical treatment). His argument was so circular, self-contradictory and inconsistent as to be laughable to most of us, much less the SA and other attorneys present.

JB giving his little "commercial" about Lyons' win record, his continuing suggestions that the state is responsible for discovery "leaks" and even LKB's previous disrespectful remark about "educating" the court seem as if they are designed more for video clips than anything else.

JB and his team are trying to benefit by these incessant and ridiculous motions being available to the media regardless of the immediate effect they have on the court.

I don't think Ashton should spend any more time laughing at JB in court - it's just as unprofessional as anything the defense is doing and it makes him look unaware that JB and his crew may be willing to look like idiots to manipulate the state in order to garner valuable media attention. I think it's about time that Strickland impose his own gag order on some of this circus. JB is just trying to counteract the Sunshine Law with his own Mug Time campaign.

Great post. Nothing that JB and crew do really shock me. JB from the very start has treated this case like a game with his smirk/smug looks and outlandish comments.

I was surprised and very disappointed that Ashton stooped to JB's level. A murder case is no laughing matter under any circumstances. JB got under his skin during another court proceeding, he took the bait and acted in a similar immature manner. JB must drive them all nuts but Ashton has to rise above the silly school-yard barbs. The other prosecutor is so professional and treats the case the way it should be handled.

:waitasec: I'd rather hoped Casey's new DP counsel would have the ability to do so, but the fact that AL appeared at the defense table this morning, opened her :biglaugh: to speak, but without enrolling pro hac vice + filing her notice of appearance with her DP creds says to me that she's no different than the rest of Casey's defense attorneys, except that she's DP qualified.

Unfortunately, being DP qualified does not automatically equate with being professional and prepared. :doh:

:clap:

Oooh - can I just repost everything you said and pretend I said it? Couldn't agree more.

caseycourt-2.jpg

Did you see Cidy looking at and shaking her head when the DP lawyer entered the court thingy?

I saw when CA made eye contact with the camera and shook her head as if to say "shame on you for taping me during this hearing, it's inappropriate".....apparently CA only likes cameras on her when she is calling the shots and/or getting paid. :mad:

ETA: I was watching clickorlando's feed, maybe her stare did not appear direct to some of the other cameras, but she definately looked straight into clickorlando's and shook her head disapprovingly.

caseycourt-2.jpg

Hi OLG!
http://media.myfoxorlando.com/photogalleries/052809anthony_motion_hearing/indexGallery.htm

In this link of photos, in row 9, 1st pic. There is a guy just behind Rev. Grund and kinda between the gal in the pink. This is who I'm referring to, but these photos are getting the resemblance as much as the actual hearing footage does. On the videos, it really struck me more towards the last section of the hearing. I'm interested in your opinion. I'm going to watch your link about Cindy now. Thanx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member