Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad waterboarding isn't legal.
You know...I'm not a person who believes in this sort of thing...but I'll tell ya, in this case, for this guy, I would gladly ask for it...and for Franklin Delano Floyd (different case).

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/

ShareJOLIET – Authorities are continuing their investigation today of two separate instances of human remains found in or near the Des Plaines River.

Chief Deputy Coroner Bob Brenczewski of the Will County Coroner’s office said today the body found floating in the river on May 5 was identified Thursday as that of Matthew M. Long, 21, of Joliet.

The headless, partial skeletal remains discovered along the Des Plaines River at Channahon on May 20 have not yet been identified, Brenczewski noted.

“Those remains were found further west of where this body was discovered,” he said. “This body was found in the river near the Interstate 80 bridge at the 500 block of Railroad Street at U.S. 6.”

I am confused?............perhaps i was dreaming, did you hear anything about additional remains, being found at the bottom of the water, where the remains where found on may 20?...........this would be nothing already found, but in addition, New remains!.................Today , i believe......or perhaps, it was a dream.......unsure, so wanted to post to ask, because i have been waiting few hours to see, and no one has............thank you.

Nope! I haven't heard that, but it is possible. Hope you weren't dreaming. Stacy or Lisa might still be there.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6837234

Families of missing men hope for closure
ABC7Chicago.com - ‎May 28, 2009‎
With the human remains found along the Des Plaines River last week, it is the eight time in two years that they've wondered if an unidentified body could be ...

Charon would be kept busy here. This river seems to collect more than it's share of dead bodies. Stacy or Lisa could have been placed here.

Somehow though, Stebic,(if involved) with his history of hunting and camping out, seems more of a 'land' man than a 'water' man. I don't think Lisa will turn up here.

Stacy might still be a possibility, but Drew would have been aware of the tendency of this river to give up it's dead. I think he would have chosen a different method, but you never know with him. moo

I am confused?............perhaps i was dreaming, did you hear anything about additional remains, being found at the bottom of the water, where the remains where found on may 20?...........this would be nothing already found, but in addition, New remains!.................Today , i believe......or perhaps, it was a dream.......unsure, so wanted to post to ask, because i have been waiting few hours to see, and no one has............thank you.

I have been having the same confusion. I could swear one of the news shows, possibly CNN was mentioning another set of bones, not related to the first, had been found. But I have heard nothing on the subject since.

My first post ever, but... I'm confused right there with you. On Nancy Grace tonight they mentioned a body being found, it sounds as if it was today. They mentioned the body found earlier being a male but also mentioned a body being found.The Chicago news channels made no mention of it at 10:00 p.m. .. Is Nancy Grace a rerun on Friday?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Badly decomposed human remains found near the area where Peterson`s fourth wife, Stacy, is believed to have disappeared.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: State police removed the remains by boat five hours after a river cleanup crew came across the badly decomposed body along the side of the Des Plaines River.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I sat there for like 10 minutes just trying to figure out if it was what I thought it was. I just found a body. Working and saw it and called state police, and they were here real quick.

We worked with them all -- pretty much all day and helped them and used our boats to shuttle all the law enforcement agencies and all the different personnel. There was so many people here.

I don`t know who it is. But I know that there was a lot of focus on it. Do you know what I`m saying? I hope it brings closure to somebody`s life, whoever it is, and families. I`m sure it will in some regard.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BROOKS: I`m Mike Brooks in for Nancy Grace.

I want to go straight out to Rupa Mikkilineni, producer for THE NANCY GRACE SHOW. Rupa, what do we know about additional bones found along the Des Plaines River today?

RUPA MIKKILINENI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: That`s right, Mike. As you know, last week we had a torso found that fell on the banks of this river, Des Plaines River in Shanahone. But we now know that that torso is a male body, not Stacy Peterson.

But more bones have come -- they`ve come across more bones along the same bank about 300 to 500 feet away from the torso. They do not know if these bones are related to that torso found.

BROOKS: But we do know that they`re human remains?

MIKKILINENI: That`s correct.

BROOKS: OK. Thank you very much.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0905/29/ng.01.html

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Badly decomposed human remains found near the area where Peterson`s fourth wife, Stacy, is believed to have disappeared.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: State police removed the remains by boat five hours after a river cleanup crew came across the badly decomposed body along the side of the Des Plaines River.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I sat there for like 10 minutes just trying to figure out if it was what I thought it was. I just found a body. Working and saw it and called state police, and they were here real quick.

We worked with them all -- pretty much all day and helped them and used our boats to shuttle all the law enforcement agencies and all the different personnel. There was so many people here.

I don`t know who it is. But I know that there was a lot of focus on it. Do you know what I`m saying? I hope it brings closure to somebody`s life, whoever it is, and families. I`m sure it will in some regard.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BROOKS: I`m Mike Brooks in for Nancy Grace.

I want to go straight out to Rupa Mikkilineni, producer for THE NANCY GRACE SHOW. Rupa, what do we know about additional bones found along the Des Plaines River today?

RUPA MIKKILINENI, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: That`s right, Mike. As you know, last week we had a torso found that fell on the banks of this river, Des Plaines River in Shanahone. But we now know that that torso is a male body, not Stacy Peterson.

But more bones have come -- they`ve come across more bones along the same bank about 300 to 500 feet away from the torso. They do not know if these bones are related to that torso found.

BROOKS: But we do know that they`re human remains?

MIKKILINENI: That`s correct.

BROOKS: OK. Thank you very much.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0905/29/ng.01.html

Hi Chico ;}

eek2.gif
I am stunned and shocked! Here I was thinking both finds would fit together, as the 2 bones found upriver were ones that the original remains was missing!

Thank you Rupa. If they determined whose 2 bones those were, which they did, don't you think the other remains would have tested positive for that man at the same time? They all went to the same lab I assume.

Why, it could still be that the original bones could be Stacy or Lisa. If that is so, even if they don't yet really know whose original remains those are, do you think LE did this to see how Drew reacted?

Blow me over with a feather at this time of night! LOL

My first post ever, but... I'm confused right there with you. On Nancy Grace tonight they mentioned a body being found, it sounds as if it was today. They mentioned the body found earlier being a male but also mentioned a body being found.The Chicago news channels made no mention of it at 10:00 p.m. .. Is Nancy Grace a rerun on Friday?

Hi Mem, and WELCOME to Websleuths. You're gonna love it here, so many things to study and learn about. And like I always say to every new poster, you are a Web Sleuther now! Neato xox

Thanks for the info on the other remains found chicoliving. I have been wondering about that. No matter who these remains belong to, at least some family or families will have some relief, all be it sad, but they will know. I do hope Stacy and Lisa are found, and soon.

http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/

ShareJOLIET – Authorities are continuing their investigation today of two separate instances of human remains found in or near the Des Plaines River.

Chief Deputy Coroner Bob Brenczewski of the Will County Coroner’s office said today the body found floating in the river on May 5 was identified Thursday as that of Matthew M. Long, 21, of Joliet.

The headless, partial skeletal remains discovered along the Des Plaines River at Channahon on May 20 have not yet been identified, Brenczewski noted.

“Those remains were found further west of where this body was discovered,” he said. “This body was found in the river near the Interstate 80 bridge at the 500 block of Railroad Street at U.S. 6.”

Confusing, but it seems there's two sets of remains found! Are they both male?

At this point I don't hold out much hope for Stacy or Lisa's remains to be found, but with two separate sets of remains found in the river, it suggests there could be more, and if not this river, another nearby river.

Rereading that link from last night it seems there was a body found floating in the river on May 5th. I had never heard about that, but it has been ID'ed as a male, Matthew Long.

The remains found on May 20th have not been ID'ed as of yet.

The 2 bones found on Sat, May 23 are not even mentioned in the article, so they must still be unidentified as well.

I still have hope this body, with possible fitting parts from the 2 finds {May 20 & 23} could be Stacy. IMO

I can't find any information on him. Wonder how long he had been missing?

Hi Indiangirl, Acc to Paintr's link on the previous page, this was a body found floating in the river on May 5th.

IMo that means he couldn't have been dead too long. The putrification stage of decomp is from 4 to 10 days after death, depending on the environmental circumstances, and this is when the gasses cause the remains to bloat with gasses and often rise to the surface if in water.

I can't find any information on him. Wonder how long he had been missing?

Sorry if this has been posted before:

I found this from The Herald News (Chicago):

Don't know how to link articles yet (sorry):

JOLIET — Authorities have identified a drowning victim whose body was pulled from the Des Plaines River on May 5 in Joliet

Matthew M. Long, 21, of Joliet was identified Thursday as the victim, according to the Will County coroner's office. The positive identification was made forensically by dental comparisons, authorities said.

Long had been reported missing April 30 in a case being investigated by Joliet police, the coroner's office said.

"He was a beautiful child as he was growing up, and he was a really positive, really caring person," said the victim's father, Timothy Long of Atlanta. "He was a good-hearted person. I always called him my little preacher."

Family history

Matthew was born in November 1987 in Bridgeport, Conn., Timothy said Thursday. Matthew had two brothers, a sister, and a half-brother, the father said.

Matthew grew up playing football in Connecticut and attended Joliet Township High School after the family moved to Illinois.

Matthew was scheduled to fly to Minnesota to participate in a job corps program there, his father said. His interest was culinary arts.

Timothy moved to Illinois in 1991 or 1992. He moved to Elgin to help his friend run a print shop, and he coached men's basketball at several northern Illinois colleges, all the while remaining involved in his children's lives back in Connecticut.

He said his ex-wife eventually decided to bring the children to Illinois. They moved to Bolingbrook, where another relative lived, and then to Joliet, Timothy said.

Investigating death

On May 5, a tugboat captain and barge worker noticed a body in the Des Plaines River at 2:43 p.m. and called 911, Joliet fire officials said.

On-duty companies responded with a boat to a site near the 500 block of Railroad Street, also called Route 6, south of Interstate 80.

On May 6, an autopsy was performed, which revealed the cause of death as drowning. The manner of death remains under investigation, the coroner's office said Thursday.

Funeral home selection is pending.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/1597303,Drowning-victim-was-Joliet-man_jo052809.article

Welcome a'board' mem63!

You'll find this to be a very wonderful group!

Lot's of nice, well informed, smart, OH! and did I mention nice posters?

ETA: the word posters...... duh!

~snipped~

Matthew M. Long, 21, of Joliet was identified Thursday as the victim, according to the Will County coroner's office. The positive identification was made forensically by dental comparisons, authorities said.

~snipped~

Hello, I've only been reading this forum, 1st post to ask if this statement means that there was indeed a skull found? I thought only torso, etc.
TIA...nomad

Welcome a'board' mem63!

You'll find this to be a very wonderful group!

Lot's of nice, well informed, smart, OH! and did I mention nice posters?

ETA: the word posters...... duh!

Luv it TallCoolOne, That's why I call us Web Sleuthers all. :blowkiss:

my bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads