AR - Manhunt launched for 2 murders who escape from prison 5/29/09

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Two convicted murderers put on corrections-officer uniforms and walked out of an Arkansas prison during a shift change, officials said Saturday as they searched for the men.

Jeffrey Grinder, 32, and Calvin Adams, 39, escaped Friday evening from the Cummins Unit prison in Grady more than three hours before officials realized they were missing, corrections department spokeswoman Dina Tyler said.

Both men were serving life sentences without the possibility of parole at the prison about 60 miles southeast of Little Rock.

The guard uniforms the inmates put on are made in the prison. Video surveillance shows the men put them in the prison library after the 6 p.m. headcount and walked out of the prison during a shift change less than 20 minutes later, Tyler said.

Grinder and Adams drove away in a maroon or burgundy colored, 4-door sedan that had been left for them. Officials realized the men were missing after coming up short during the 10 p.m. inmate headcount, Tyler said.

Grinder was convicted of capital murder in 2004, and Adams was convicted of capital murder in 1995. Both men have family in Arkansas and out of state.

"It is possible they could have left Arkansas," Tyler said.

Corrections officials are trying to develop leads on where the men are and hoping someone will spot them, Tyler said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,523375,00.html?test=latestnews

Thanks for the warning!! Wow! Amazing how easily they skipped out of that prison.

Hi all- thanks KaylynnCouture, for adding this thread. I know there are a few WS'ers, beside me, in this area. It seems like there's alot of prison escapes around here.
So it's possible they went north. It would have also been nice to know what other states they have family members in.
I hope they get caught real soon. 'Til then, let me share some old fashioned common sense that an elderly lady shared with me one day- Leave your keys in the ignition while they're on the loose. LOL good idee!

Hi all- thanks KaylynnCouture, for adding this thread. I know there are a few WS'ers, beside me, in this area. It seems like there's alot of prison escapes around here.
So it's possible they went north. It would have also been nice to know what other states they have family members in.
I hope they get caught real soon. 'Til then, let me share some old fashioned common sense that an elderly lady shared with me one day- Leave your keys in the ignition while they're on the loose. LOL good idee!
Hmmm...well...it does make sense. Interesting. I wonder how she came up with such wisdom? Lived near a prison maybe?

Descriptions of the suspects:

Grinder is a white male, 5-feet, 9-inches tall, weighing 150 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.

Adams is a white male, 5-feet, 7-inches tall, weighing 154 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Link to the local newspaper in Pine Bluff (about 20 miles from the prison): http://www.pbcommercial.com/ Hopefully they'll be posting more updates on there.

Leaving keys in the ignition is sheer genius!

With the advent of iris detection, facial recognition & other biometric systems, prison escapes should be all but impossible. One would have to be accepted to enter or exit a facility. It's facinating technology; we truly are one of a kind..... just like everybody else.:crazy:

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=85913

Here's alot more info with interesting comments. I like the one about who's big idea was it to let the inmates even make guard uniforms lol. So true.
They got the i d on the car tags

They were believed to be in a 2003 Maroon or Red Hyundai Sonata 4dr, with a bondo patch on the right rear. This vehicle was displaying Arkansas License No. 595NYM.

How much do you want to bet the person who left the car was some ignorant woman who was carrying on a prison romance with one of those losers?

How much do you want to bet the person who left the car was some ignorant woman who was carrying on a prison romance with one of those losers?

That wouldn't surprise me. The driver could have driven down from greene county-(adams) or the counties of washington, searcy, marion-(grinder) to leave the car and they must have left a credit card for them so we can pay for their gas. The last update I read has them possibly heading to Michigan now. I'd love to be driving North on I 57 now. I'd be keeping my eyes peeled. :detective:

this is why so many want the death penalty, because walls just cannot hold some people

Escaped Convicts Thought to be in Missouri: http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0609/627911.html

Two killers who escaped from the Cummins Unit in southeast Arkansas have been spotted in the Missouri Bootheel, where authorities believe they are traveling together.

Correction Department spokeswoman Dina Tyler says the men were spotted Saturday in two southeast Missouri communities, Hayti and Brraggadocio.

Tyler says Adams has relatives in the area and there is no reason to believe the men have moved on.

Escaped Convicts Thought to be in Missouri: http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0609/627911.html

Two killers who escaped from the Cummins Unit in southeast Arkansas have been spotted in the Missouri Bootheel, where authorities believe they are traveling together.

Correction Department spokeswoman Dina Tyler says the men were spotted Saturday in two southeast Missouri communities, Hayti and Brraggadocio.

Tyler says Adams has relatives in the area and there is no reason to believe the men have moved on.

Hayti and Braggadocio are not Missouri counties. I wonder what she meant.

Even with the uniforms on, how did they get through the gates? Didn't any of the other guards leaving notice these were not co-workers? What about shoes?
I hope they're caught before they can hurt anybody else and anyone who helped set this up is punished.

VB

Hayti and Braggadocio are not Missouri counties. I wonder what she meant.

Hayti and Braggadocio are both towns, I know Hayti is a rather impoverished area, very rural area.

VB

Carp. What I get for a low internet usage weekend. DH is on a job site down in the Boot Heel this week - I just called and warned him to be cautious and alert. He is going to get online ASAP to see their pix and show his people.

The article says communities, not counties. It's ok..I misread it at first too :)

Ooops, sorry. That's what I get for just skimming over posts! :) I have never heard of either of those cities in Missouri though, they must be really small.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back