Andrea Lyon New DP Atty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrea Lyons is highly regarded by defense bars. She's extremely experienced in DP cases/murder trials and is considered to be a very effective and persuasive trial attorney -- consider her track record to be confirmation. The D.A.'s office would be wise to view Lyons and Baden as a formidable defense team.

You're right, of course, Wudge. But if that jury learns that Lyons knowingly and admittedly let an innocent man rot in jail for 26 years because she was "ethically bound" not to reveal her guilty, (already-imprisioned-for-life) client's written confession, that jury will thoroughly despise and mistrust Lyons.

I am as certain of that as I am of my own name, because I feel that way about her now and I fully understand all the legal justifications and personal motivations that caused her to keep quiet. A less aware, less intellectually-inclined juror than I will simply regard her as heartless and evil and they will be happy to thwart her efforts to get KC off. In view of this, I think the Defense's choice of AL may actually benefit the cause of Justice For Caylee. At least I hope so.

I am very enthused with AL. I hope she is all that they are portraying her to be and what I've learned of her, so far. She comes with some serious credentials. I do not by any shake of the imagination want this to end in a mistrial or many holes allowing for a guilty verdict to be overturned in appeals court. I believe that KC is guilty, but if and that is an enormous if, she is not, I want every stone unturned. I want the guilty to be brought to justice, DP or Life, I really don't care. I think AL is the best we have seen in this three ring circus. I am not of the mind set to believe that the FL courts will not stand up to AL. I feel that it should ultimately lead down the road of truth and justice. Let them try to throw the innocent under the bus, let the prosecution debunk. I want this all to come to an end and that end being Justice for Caylee.

I totally agree. I used to read here every day but it took so much time I stopped after they found Caylee's body. I just think everyone is being way too harsh on Andrea Lyon. I attend DePaul and our school is very proud of our public service record. I am one hundred percent positive that Ms. Lyon is driven by her commitment to justice. This is the video our website has up about this.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/26411480#30996344
I can't watch that video without applauding my butt off for Ms. Lyon. We are very very proud of her. She is such an inspiration to a lot of people. I haven't read to the rest of the comments but I just wanted to give my opinion on the ones I have read so far.

snipped for space

Interesting choice of words by JB. Is this supposed to mean she only killed one person, therefore it doesn't justify capital punishment?

Since he's her lawyer he should say... "she's not a killer".

That is a very good catch, there. He certainly should have said "she is not a killer" instead. poor JB with his freudian slip showing.

I have not read this whole thread, but wondered if this had been posted about AL and how she allowed an innocent man to rot in prison for 26 years, when she knew he was not guilty. The reason: he was not given the death penalty.

Seems abolishing the death penalty is her only interest or at the very least getting people off death row...guess it's OK if they sit in prison for a lifetime.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/080131/

Myself and others left comments on her blog which is now mysteriously closed for comments.

http://www.andrealyon.com/blog/

The first part of this page has changed from her announcement of being part of the Casey Anthony team to what it is now...guess she only wants glowing comments on her page...bet she was bombarded with posts from people just like me about the case and why she left an innocent man rot in prison for 26 years.

omg I just read about that guy last week, I think JBean or someone linked, it was KC's "angel of death" who allowed that? my days, I dont know where my head is that I didnt realise, or am I misunderstanding you from shock? that just made me so sick, that poor guy.

I wonder how long it will be before the Orlando news channels run a story on AL and the 26 year sentence served by an innocent man...? I am sort of surprised nothing came out today on it.

I wonder how long it will be before the Orlando news channels run a story on AL and the 26 year sentence served by an innocent man...? I am sort of surprised nothing came out today on it.

Kathy B likes to get her facts straight :), me thinks it will be released when she is ready and JB isn't.

"Andrea Lyon is called “the Angel of death row" because she has aided a number of people from being given the death penalty. In fact it is been said that she never is lost a death penalty case.

*resp snipped. my bold.

i hope she doesn't have a problem with change .....

You're right, of course, Wudge. But if that jury learns that Lyons knowingly and admittedly let an innocent man rot in jail for 26 years because she was "ethically bound" not to reveal her guilty, (already-imprisioned-for-life) client's written confession, that jury will thoroughly despise and mistrust Lyons.

I am as certain of that as I am of my own name, because I feel that way about her now and I fully understand all the legal justifications and personal motivations that caused her to keep quiet. A less aware, less intellectually-inclined juror than I will simply regard her as heartless and evil and they will be happy to thwart her efforts to get KC off. In view of this, I think the Defense's choice of AL may actually benefit the cause of Justice For Caylee. At least I hope so.
Hi friday. there is a whole thread devoted to the topic of Alton Logan so we are trying to keep discussion off of this thread. thanks lady.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77350"]Attorney Client Privilege/ Alton Logan Ethical Dilemma - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

It also would've been a real "bombshell" for Nancy Grace, but she didn't even talk about Caylee tonight. Hopefully she'll start discussing Lyons being added to the case and what she will do for the defense. MOO

Interesting piece about Andrea just put up by Sentinel columnist Mike Thomas...

<snip>
And Lyon will not come alone.

She will have several law students to help her. Casey's case has become something of a class project for The Center for Justice in Capital Cases, which Lyon formed at DePaul to train students and attorneys in death-penalty cases. Part of the center's mission statement includes "hands-on experience" for students.

They will provide endless hours of eager, free labor, performing tasks such as going over transcripts and motions, and contributing to closing arguments.
<snip>

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/serv...omas-casey-super-060209jun02,0,6485922.column

I can explain that. It means that if you are disadvantaged, you should not be excluded from the best representation available. I went to law school for just this reason. I wanted to represent indigent people and give them quality representation (not in criminal law, but civil), because the way the system works, poorer people often lose a case, like a child custody battle, because they cannot afford a good lawyer, while their soon to be ex-spouse can. That's not fair to me. I believe all citizens deserve adequate legal representation, not just those who can afford it.
What this idea has to do with the case against casey is beyond me, though. She seems to be able to afford excellent legal representation. Many here think JB is a bad lawyer but IMO, he's not as bad as many. But casey doesn't just have JB. She has a whole TEAM to help her, including high profile LKB. To me, Andrea Lyons would be better served representing someone who truly needs representation and lacks it. But, that's not casey, IMO.

Bold, me

I applaud you for your reasons to attend law school - we need more lawyers
like you, gitana1.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I am in total agreement with you regarding your assessment of representation
for KC. Ms. Lyons may wish she had chosen a different defendant to represent.

Who knows for sure - time will tell!

<snip>

She will have several law students to help her. Casey's case has become something of a class project for The Center for Justice in Capital Cases, which Lyon formed at DePaul to train students and attorneys in death-penalty cases. Part of the center's mission statement includes "hands-on experience" for students.

They will provide endless hours of eager, free labor, performing tasks such as going over transcripts and motions, and contributing to closing arguments.
<snip>

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/serv...omas-casey-super-060209jun02,0,6485922.column

What a horrible waste of resources by a group like this. There are so many others who would be lucky to get barely enough time from an overworked public defender, who would love to have an expert or some paralegal help or the research needed to file needed motions and briefs, etc. Why devote this to a person with multiple private lawyers and a team of experts who are being paid for their services?

What a horrible waste of resources by a group like this. There are so many others who would be lucky to get barely enough time from an overworked public defender, who would love to have an expert or some paralegal help or the research needed to file needed motions and briefs, etc. Why devote this to a person with multiple private lawyers and a team of experts who are being paid for their services?

Very good question. What makes Casey Anthony so special to have all of these people scurrying about for her benefit? IMO, the answer to this could be found if we were allowed to "Follow the Money!".

Very good question. What makes Casey Anthony so special to have all of these people scurrying about for her benefit? IMO, the answer to this could be found if we were allowed to "Follow the Money!".

Bolded-----interesting choice of wording. LMAO--as in scurrying around like like RATS?

Casey's case is a class project for law students at DePaul?

Casey Anthony's team hires 'best' death-penalty lawyer out there

Mike Thomas Commentary

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...omas-casey-super-060209jun02,0,1771500.column

Snipped
"What they needed was a death-qualified attorney," says Glen Weissenberger, dean of the DePaul law school. "They found the best one. [Lyon] is a brilliant clinical professor who has risen to the highest academic rank she can achieve. She is nationally known as one of the best courtroom lawyers in the United States."

It reminds me of Huck Finn ...or Tom Sawyer [I'm old] ....."pay me a quarter and I'll let you paint my fence."

<snip>

<snip>

Bold mine.

In this case, hands on is right! But we've already seen the videos and heard the accounts of "hands on experience" which were said to be "inappropriate,"
now haven't we? So now they're shipping down law students from the frigid winter in Chicago to Sunny Florida to do all those "endless hours" of free labor. . . .
Gimme another break, please!

I think Florida taxpayers should revolt that this trial is being drawn out indefinitely while there still hasn't been one iota of justice for Caylee, a truly innocent victim.

I think one of the things that is important to law students is that the law is the law no matter who the defendant may be, and no one is above the law.
That's why the detainees at Guantanamo and Bagram Air Base have the best legal representation you can imagine. Because no matter how easy it is for everyone to just want to start picking up stones, students of the law are committed to the duties they have taken upon themselves, including the duty to uphold the law instead of trying to act like judge and jury all the time. Like, its fun and easy to be the judge and jury all in one, but nothing is ever gained by bending the law, no matter how moral you think your side is that the law is worth bending. I think Andrea Lyon is trying to uphold the law instead of just doing whatever is popular. I think she is worried Casey is not being treated right - cruel and unusual punishment is wrong whether it is Casey or an alleged terrorist.
Also, I think people need to realize how corrupt the legal system here is Illinois was. And maybe she believed that no matter how corrupt the legal system was she could not turn in her own client to the police. That is just a fundamental concept in defense lawyering. I think if she were a priest people would not hold it against her as much as they do now. I'm sure priests get confessed to all the time and they can't tell anyone. jmo

Oh me---oh my---Law students. Yummy! Can I say bye-bye to JB now?
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
KC gonna be gittin all giddy and will be struttin her stuff. This may get embarrassing for the defense.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:
:bedtime:

Regarding Ms. Lyon's not disclosing the guilty party......................what a sad state we are in when letting ANYONE pay for a crime they did not commit and further, what a sadder state we are in when it is an officer of the court that is complicite. We are humans first, attorneys second. Always. No matter what. No matter who. She's another brilliant mind who has proven that the lines of the law are very very blurred and that justice is not without a pricetag.....or injustice for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow