N.C. Childcare Teacher Positive for TB

That would be scary. The comments say that TB is on the rise, I wonder what precautions schools will be taking (or if there are some already underway?)

I hope they figure out who she caught it from before that person spreads it to more people.

Since the transmission of the disease is through casual contact (from what I've read), do you think it's possible to find out the origin?

Not probable but possible :) I take it that she was only recently infected, so maybe she can think back to anyone she was around who might have been sick right before she came down with symptoms.

Not probable but possible :) I take it that she was only recently infected, so maybe she can think back to anyone she was around who might have been sick right before she came down with symptoms.

You are right- thanks for having a positive attitude!

Since she tested negative in Sept (?) maybe there is an association with someone that she can think of. Do you know when the coughing starts with TB? I'll have to read more on the subject at the CDC. The article stated that she showed signs of "allergy symptoms", since it's spring and allergy season, I hope that alerts people to have testing, rather than dismissing the symptoms? I didn't know that TB could seem like allergies, I would have been drinking the Benedryl and ignoring it.

I would try to find out if anyone she knew got out of prison lately. TB tends to be found in prisons and detention centers because they are not well ventilated. When I worked for the state in the 90s, I worked with two guys who had both worked in the prison system. Once you test positive on a skin test, you will always test positive and both of my co-workers always had to have the chest x-rays every three years to prove they didn't have full blown TB, only the exposure. I had a couple of clients who were also exposed and they had to take 6 months of medication. I don't know if that regime has changed by now. It might have because the article on the day care doesn't mention them having to take it for that long.

They should find out for certain that she did not get it from one of the kids.

This is the kind of thing I worry about happening in day care centers and elsewhere because of the anti-immunization movement.

If they are going to look at where she might have caught it, one place is to check out any restaurants she may have visited as well.

Here is a little known fact that many seasoned servers know...never pick up a glass by the rim with your fingers that someone has drank after, the saliva that might possibly be on the rim from the drinkers mouth can contain viruses and bacteria.

Should you do that and then touch your mouth or another avenue on your body for the viruses and bacteria to enter you will find yourself ill.

Conversely, never drink from a glass that your server sits before you with their hands too near the rim of the glass. It works in reverse too. Good servers and bartenders would never do that. They are trained not to do that.

I wonder if all the kids at school and cafeteria workers have been tested since one of them could be the carrier. School is another place where people are packed like sardines into older buildings that would be impossible to keep properly sanitized all day long.

I would try to find out if anyone she knew got out of prison lately. TB tends to be found in prisons and detention centers because they are not well ventilated. When I worked for the state in the 90s, I worked with two guys who had both worked in the prison system. Once you test positive on a skin test, you will always test positive and both of my co-workers always had to have the chest x-rays every three years to prove they didn't have full blown TB, only the exposure. I had a couple of clients who were also exposed and they had to take 6 months of medication. I don't know if that regime has changed by now. It might have because the article on the day care doesn't mention them having to take it for that long.

They should find out for certain that she did not get it from one of the kids.

This is the kind of thing I worry about happening in day care centers and elsewhere because of the anti-immunization movement.

I tested positive back in the early 90s. Since I was under 35, then, I had to take -- I think it was INH -- for 9 months. That was only after chest xrays showed no scarring, therefore no active case, just exposure. The only place we've ever come up with as having been exposed was when I was spending so much time in ICU after my husband's car accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back