CO CO - Janine Johler, 38, Aurora, 7 May 2009

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
We were discussing this over in another thread, so I thought I'd bring it over here.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=117617&catid=339
GLENWOOD SPRINGS - State and Garfield County authorities are investigating the death of a girl whose body was found in an apple orchard 5 miles west of Glenwood Springs.
Advertisement

"At this point we have enough information to suggest it was foul play," Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario said Friday. "We're conducting a homicide investigation."

The body was found by a teenage boy who was working in the orchards. According to KREX-TV Channel 5 in Grand Junction, the boy told his mother that the body appeared to be that of a girl 10 to 12 years old. The girl's body was found in a partially decomposed bag, the station said on its Web site.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation agents were processing the scene, where yellow crime-scene tape was wrapped around two rows of apple trees. The orchard is about a quarter-mile north of Interstate 70 on Canyon Creek Road.

The body was found between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Friday on the ground beneath apple trees, Vallario said. He would not confirm the age of the victim.

CBI spokesman Lance Clem said five CBI staff members, including crime-scene investigators from the Grand Junction office, were sent to help in the investigation. They were expected to be working late into the night, he said.

Clem declined to comment about evidence discovered at the scene.

Sheriff's investigators and police dogs were searching the orchard and surrounding area for evidence, Vallario said.

A line of 14 people, each about a yard apart, including some in uniform and others wearing orange vests, was seen walking through a field between I-70 and the orchard.

The area was surrounded by law enforcement officers, with authorities limiting access to everyone except people who live in the subdivisions behind the orchard.

Authorities were conducting an autopsy on Saturday in Grand Junction.

Thanks Kaylynn, She must not have been dead very long as she is referred to as a body and the boy could tell it was a girl 10-12 yrs old. How sad. Just laid out on the ground in a bag of some sort, not buried.

It is already sounding like a crime of opportunity to me! We'll see.

When will this ever stop. I heard a psychologist this morning say that the sudden crime spurt, including those involving children, has a lot to do with the economy. People are traumatized, not thinking right, no tolerance and at the end of their rope, etc. He was really talking about the mother who pushed her two children off the Sellwood Bridge in Portland about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks Kaylynn, She must not have been dead very long as she is referred to as a body and the boy could tell it was a girl 10-12 yrs old. How sad. Just laid out on the ground in a bag of some sort, not buried.

When will this ever stop. I heard a psychologist this morning say that the sudden crime spurt, including those involving children, has a lot to do with the economy. People are traumatized, not thinking right, no tolerance and at the end of their rope, etc. He was really talking about the mother who pushed her two children off the Sellwood Bridge in Portland about 3 weeks ago.

Oh yeah, there's no doubt in my mind the recent crime surge is connected in some way to the economy being so bad. I just wish people had enough self control, respect, morals, values, and about 1000 other things to realize that harming another person is NOT the way to help ANY situation. It infuriates me.

I hope, because the girl was only partially decomposed, that an identification will be quick and she can have the proper burial she deserves.

I did a quick search of girls around that age missing from Colorado pretty recently and I didn't find much. I did find this girl- http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US she's 16 though (not quite in the age range) but she's been missing about 3 weeks and so I figured that may fit.

The body of an unknown decomposing 10-12 year old girl was found in a bag in an orchard near Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Anyone missing a girl? Why is no one looking for her?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/19745936/detail.html

http://www.denverpost.com/technology/ci_12584617

Hi Colette, I know there is another thread on this girl as I posted on it. I have been here seemingly for hours today. :blowkiss:

Here's the link. It only has 2 posts: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85325

Oh yeah, there's no doubt in my mind the recent crime surge is connected in some way to the economy being so bad. I just wish people had enough self control, respect, morals, values, and about 1000 other things to realize that harming another person is NOT the way to help ANY situation. It infuriates me.

I hope, because the girl was only partially decomposed, that an identification will be quick and she can have the proper burial she deserves.

I did a quick search of girls around that age missing from Colorado pretty recently and I didn't find much. I did find this girl- http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US she's 16 though (not quite in the age range) but she's been missing about 3 weeks and so I figured that may fit.

ITA with you and it infuriates me too. It also worries me greatly as how do you stop the deluge of cases we are seeing now without the economy coming back up. And then there will be repercussions from the time it was so bad that will carry over into people's lives that they will have to overcome.

In all my years here I don't think I have ever seen so many cases of children in peril like we have now. Just in Oregon in the last little over a month we have had 3 tragic mind-boggling cases, and those are the ones we have heard of!

I think she will be ID'ed and just hope she is from a town where they have a hello police dept. xox

Hi Colette, Here we are :):)

That link says the bag was partially decomposed. I wonder if that is a misprint? What kind of a bag would decompose

That's absurd! People don't murder their children out of desperation.
Only a cold hearted person would throw their own children off a bridge in the middle of the night, and drive away.
It's horrible to try to justify such horrific deeds!
jmo

That's absurd! People don't murder their children out of desperation.
Only a cold hearted person would throw their own children off a bridge in the middle of the night, and drive away.
It's horrible to try to justify such horrific deeds!
jmo

Hi Yolande, You would think so, although I don't think this in anyway justifies what these people do. It might be it puts people over the edge who would have a tendency to be violent, bring out their craziness.

I think it was on Channel 6, KOIN TV that I heard that in their commentary section of the evening news. xox:woohoo:

Hi Colette, Here we are :):)

That link says the bag was partially decomposed. I wonder if that is a misprint? What kind of a bag would decompose

Yeah, I think it's a misprint. I think it was supposed to say that the body was partially decomposed, and was found in a bag. :(

Hopefully tomorrow more details will be released that will lead to her identity.

:rose: Rest in peace Angel.

Based on todays Denver Post article it seems like LE thinks she isn't from the immediate area.
Also, since they haven't confirmed the age of the victim (the boy who found her guessed she was between 10-12) I'm wondering if it could be a older teenager/young adult (?)
The road that she was found near is right off of I-70 so it would be easy for someone to exit and enter the interstate there.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12586626

BTW, I am new to WS- (been lurking for awhile) so I hope I am doing this posting right :crazy:

The lack of a missing person report points to parental or guardian involvement. Another thing to consider is this is along Hwy 70, an interstate that runs across the entire country. This child could be from anywhere.

Sheriff still mum on details of dead body found in Canyon Creek

Garfield County authorities remained tight-lipped on Saturday concerning any and all information about human remains found in an orchard in the Canyon Creek community the day before, June 12.

The remains, which are widely believed to be those of a dismembered young girl, were removed from the orchard and taken to Grand Junction, where an autopsy was scheduled to be performed at 4 p.m. on Saturday by the Mesa County Coroner's Office

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20090614/VALLEYNEWS/906139998/1083&ParentProfile=1074

Murdered girl’s body found in Canyon Creek
by David Frey, Aspen Daily News Correspondent
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Login or register to post commentsPrinter-friendly version
Email this Story
GLENWOOD SPRINGS — Authorities are investigating the murder of a young girl whose body was found in a bag Friday morning in a Canyon Creek orchard
Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario said the body was found in the brush between 10 and 11 a.m., by a high school-age boy who was working at the apple orchard.

“It’s a homicide investigation at this point,” Vallario said.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/135019

FWIW, from time to time there are out of state victim's dumped like this along 1-80 and 1-15 in Utah. Usually they are from Vegas or Reno.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=117617&catid=339

(snip)
Garfield County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Holly Hopple says the killer may have murdered the girl in another county or state, and driven along I-70 to dump the body.

Based on todays Denver Post article it seems like LE thinks she isn't from the immediate area.
Also, since they haven't confirmed the age of the victim (the boy who found her guessed she was between 10-12) I'm wondering if it could be a older teenager/young adult (?)
The road that she was found near is right off of I-70 so it would be easy for someone to exit and enter the interstate there.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12586626

BTW, I am new to WS- (been lurking for awhile) so I hope I am doing this posting right :crazy:

Welcome to WS!

From the map posted, it appears that road only runs on the north side of I 70, so that would mean the traffic was headed westbound. So, has someone checked for missing from KS, Missouri, Illinois or do we KNOW for sure if it was north or south of the highway?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back