ZiCam-cease using all forms!!!

Thanks believe09 I'm forwarding that article to my Husband right now. We don't use that product but he may have people that do! Thanks :blowkiss:

FDA is recommending consumers completely stop using ZiCam. The zinc based homeopathic remedy can cause loss of the sense of smell, creating a life threatening situation because someone would be unable to smell smoke or gas leaks...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cold_medicine_fda_warning

Interesting. In the late 1930s or early 1940s, some scientists and doctors thought a 'zinc nasal spray' would prevent polio. After using it on children and testing it, it was found that not only did it not prevent polio, but that it was dangerous and people could lose their sense of smell.

The upside of loss of partial or temporary sense of smell for the obese is extremely decreased appetite. Our sense of taste is mostly stimulated by the olfactory nerves smelling food.

wow... thanks for this thread! Also, has anyone ever taken a zinc lozenge for colds? They messed up my taste buds for a bit! Wonder if we should just quit putting zinc on any mucus membrane!

This sucks! Almost nothing works better at preventing a cold than ZiCam! I had heard of the risks before, but I always limited how much I used. Thanks for the report!

This is interesting. Warnings have been floating around about this since at least 2006. I always kind of assumed it was a problem for people who maybe over-used it. Like using it every day to avoid a cold, rather than just when you feel one coming on. But this sounds like there is serious concern overall about it's safety.

I've used it, but the thing about it is, you really don't know if it works or not. Maybe you shortened the length of the cold or maybe you didn't. How long would it have lasted without using the Zicam? Or maybe you stopped getting a full blown cold or maybe you wouldn't have gotten it anyway. I don't think the potential benefit is worth the risk.

I have never liked any nasal sprays of any kind. I'm always afraid of the exact thing that the FDA is saying about Zicam. I know there is no proof it works,but my family swears by Airborn.

I used the throat spray, though, and didn't notice any ill effects. Granted, I used it sparingly, but....

The upside of loss of partial or temporary sense of smell for the obese is extremely decreased appetite. Our sense of taste is mostly stimulated by the olfactory nerves smelling food.

From personal experience, loss of smell can go either way - decrease or increase appetite. For awhile I didn't enjoy eating anything at all. Then the ****ake hit the fan, so to speak, when I ate and ate, added spices galore - in the quest for tasting something, anything. I just knew something I'd be able to taste was out there somewhere, if I could only find it. My taste and smell is now back for the most part with an occasional fading out. :clap:

I heard about this side effect years ago, but I was under the impression that it happened very rarely. I lost my sense of smell 30 years ago when I was pregnant, and it wasn't until about 10 years ago that it started to come back intermitantly. It is a pain in the butt not to be able to smell (although it made handling the diapers easy!) but I never once considered it a safety hazard. Thank Goodness we never had a gas leak!

The whole idea behind homeopathy is that the zinc should be so incredibly diluted, it's amazing the product has enough zinc in it to cause anything at all to happen!

I have a dear friend who absolutely swears by ZiCam. I imagine she's going to run all over the place buying up all the stock she can locate. I was at CVS this afternoon and the shelves are still full of all the different ZiCam products.

Oh great. Hubby just went to go to the store to get me something before I have to leave for work. I think he was thinking along the lines of ColdMD tho...... oh well, whatever he brings home has got to be better than nothing, which is what I have right now.

Is there anything that's good for us anymore?????

I have never used zicam...but I also heard in the news recently that they are putting new warnings on singular (possibly causing suicidal thoughts).

I have used Zicam many times and only lost my sense of smell when I used the nasal swabs. I had heard it might happen and my sense of smell came back after a couple of days. I guess I will have to revert back to the mouth spray. Yuck!

I've taken the tablet form of Zicam with excellent results. It comes nowhere near my nose :D

I don't know how in the world this stuff could kill off one's sense of smell. I heard a blurb on the radio by a spokesperson for Zicam stating there is no empirical evidence to support this claim. Yet, it is made by the FDA . . . hmm . . . I wonder if Zicam didn't pay their "respects" or something to the FDA . . . oh cynical me . . .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back