WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawn Hornbeck, in the St. Louis area, which is a fair sized city, was found about that far from his home. After four years. His face was so frequently shown on local news, which reaches a pretty large area, he was, after a relatively short time, IIRC, allowed out and about, made friends with a neighbor of the abducter, etc. He frequently went with the kid to a store that had his picture on a bench right outside the entrance to the store! And no one noticed.

Shawns picture was absolutely *everywhere you looked and not only did no one notice - but Shawn never said a word about who he was to his friends or his friends parents. He even stayed overnight at his friends home. Lost for 4 years in the middle of our city.......

Rant alert:

I'm fed up. What do we have to do to get missing kids shown nationwide or at least statewide. Oh yeah, that's right, we have that system, it's called the Amber Alert, a wonderful idea that has been made completely impotent by the influence of, what else, bureaucracy.
Lindsey didn't meet the criteria for an Amber Alert...which I think is a lovely handful of warm smelly BS. You know what the criteria should be? She's a child, she's missing, and if enough people see her she might survive. What more do we need?
I'm sick of hearing about the reluctance to activate Amber because of fear of desensitizing the public, how about activating the system out of fear for the child's life? What good does it do to have the system in place if we won't use it? I'd like to see the backlash from citizens if the emergency alert system weren't activated prior to a tornado, for fear of desensitizing the community.
Why don't we have a computer in the basement of some government building somewhere that has no other purpose but to mass mail every police department in the area. Or might we be afraid of desensitizing law enforcement? if I can have an alert sent to my email thru NCMEC every time a kid disappears, why can't the police?
And while we are on the issue of being desentitized, when did we as a nation become so complacent that any child capable of walking is initially assumed to have run away?

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

I called him back and he dropped the phone. LOL Don't think he gets many calls, and 2 in a row maybe startled him. A really nice guy.

She could have still been driven up there by the perp IMO. A place of solitude with a bit of lighting probably. Just perfect for a perp.

You could be right - sounds like an ideal spot for a perp, remote, dim, convenient. :mad:

I am amazed tho - that as it seems they are attaching cameras to anything and everything nowadays - they haven't attached one to this tower, but for Pete's sake - *don't call that nice gentleman back and ask him if there *is one - 3 calls in 24 hrs just might be his undoing! :D

Yeah don't you hate it when you wake up, open the door & it's cooler outside than inside?

- One of those nights/mornings

Considering it is 102 here right now, yes. No AC and the hottest part of the evening yet to come :confused: xox

I'm not caught up, but has anyone heard anything about an announcement coming that a police officer is being seriously looked at in the case? I am just throwing that out and know nothing else and of course have no link.

You could be right - sounds like an ideal spot for a perp, remote, dim, convenient. :mad:

I am amazed tho - that as it seems they are attaching cameras to anything and everything nowadays - they haven't attached one to this tower, but for Pete's sake - *don't call that nice gentleman back and ask him if there *is one - 3 calls in 24 hrs just might be his undoing! :D

LOL Yes, I promised him I wouldn't bother him again. He then asked for my name, why I was calling from Portland, etc. No problem, he was a 'lil sweetie.

Rant alert:

I'm fed up. What do we have to do to get missing kids shown nationwide or at least statewide. Oh yeah, that's right, we have that system, it's called the Amber Alert, a wonderful idea that has been made completely impotent by the influence of, what else, bureaucracy.
Lindsey didn't meet the criteria for an Amber Alert...which I think is a lovely handful of warm smelly BS. You know what the criteria should be? She's a child, she's missing, and if enough people see her she might survive. What more do we need?
I'm sick of hearing about the reluctance to activate Amber because of fear of desensitizing the public, how about activating the system out of fear for the child's life? What good does it do to have the system in place if we won't use it? I'd like to see the backlash from citizens if the emergency alert system weren't activated prior to a tornado, for fear of desensitizing the community.
Why don't we have a computer in the basement of some government building somewhere that has no other purpose but to mass mail every police department in the area. Or might we be afraid of desensitizing law enforcement? if I can have an alert sent to my email thru NCMEC every time a kid disappears, why can't the police?
And while we are on the issue of being desentitized, when did we as a nation become so complacent that any child capable of walking is initially assumed to have run away?

IMO the alert criteria is flawed & LE itself has (at times, in good faith) made scenarios 'fit' the requirements. It kind of requires some one putting their *advertiser censored* on the line but it does happen. Why it didn't happen here ...

Rant alert:

"Ditto"

I could not have said it more perfectly myself!

Considering it is 102 here right now, yes. No AC and the hottest part of the evening yet to come :confused: xox

I'm not caught up, but has anyone heard anything about an announcement coming that a police officer is being seriously looked at in the case? I am just throwing that out and know nothing else and of course have no link.

Noooooooooo not yet??? :eek: Now I have to wait until tomorrow for an update (have to turn in - up for work @ 4:30 am) - Until then I will be saying prayers and sending positive vibes for *any information!!!!

G'nite Lindsey! We're keeping you in our hearts!!!!!

G'nite sleuthers!!

Noooooooooo not yet??? :eek: Now I have to wait until tomorrow for an update (have to turn in - up for work @ 4:30 am) - Until then I will be saying prayers and sending positive vibes for *any information!!!!

G'nite Lindsey! We're keeping you in our hearts!!!!!

G'nite sleuthers!!

Nite LadyBug, No news on that so far but if there is anything to it we'll hollar at you in the middle of the night! :blowkiss:

ROSEBURG OREGON - CARISSA PALMER!!! She was abducted by her father. This is the FIRST Amber Alert I've seen! Interesting that this happened during this discussion!

I spent the day in Seattle at the Museum of Flight.. thank god for air conditioning!

Where did you hear about the police officer thing? I was in McCleary dropping off some stuff to a friend, we talked about Lindsey and she didn't even mention this.

I don't get this at all. This is the criteria for the Amber Alert in Oregon:

"Once law enforcement has been notified about an abducted child, they must first determine if the case meets the criteria for triggering an alert. Local and state programs establish specific criteria. Oregon´s criteria is listed below:

Law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted
The child is 17 years or younger*
The child may be in danger of serious bodily harm or death
There is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect´s vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help.
The child's name and other critical data elements - including the child abduction (CA) and AMBER Alert (AA) flags will/have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.

* This alert system is not to be used when a child runs away or involves a custodial situation.
"BBM
http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/MCC/amber_alert.shtml

And yet, this Amber Alert is about a child's father taking her? Am I on earth right now, or another planet?

BUT what if you wanted to get to McCleary from Shelton using one of these:

images

????

:biggrin:

Or you can try this:

http://www.squaxinisland.org/

There's a link on the left-hand side that will open a word document with the tribal bus schedule...which includes stops in McCleary and Elma. This would be the most direct bus from McCleary to Shelton.

I spent the day in Seattle at the Museum of Flight.. thank god for air conditioning!

Where did you hear about the police officer thing? I was in McCleary dropping off some stuff to a friend, we talked about Lindsey and she didn't even mention this.

A poster elsewhere said her husband had heard this and it would be on the 5 O'Clock News. It evidently wasn't.

I thought it interesting as we had talked about the possibility here this weekend and with the Astro thread saying it could possibly be someone in authority it hit home.

If it was the case it would have been on the news so I think we can put this one to rest, eh? LOL

I haven't heard anything about that! (Don't have your sources. :cool:) It would explain a lot that seems inexplicable at this point. When is this announcement supposed to come? Also, please tell me the info didn't come from KK.

Now this one I'm not necessarily buying...comment on King 5.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_072109WAB-mccleary-missing-reward-SW.62c9e7a5.html

Supposed sighting.

Phone number given is registered in Roy, WA.

And the time stamp just changed from 4 days ago to 5 days ago, so it would have been made about 7 p.m.

I hope someone took this sighting seriously and checked into it. I Google Earthed the town or Roy and it is only about 10 miles south of Fort Lewis, the place where that SO "Smiley" was captured last week. The road from Roy to Fort Lewis is surrounded by woods with small secondary roads.

To me, the call sounds frantic, legit, and typing mistakes look to me to be something that might be done by some frantic witness. I also checked out the home phone number and it is definitely registered to the Roy area.

This spotting was 5 days ago, one day before Jeffrey Smiley was arrested for his antics in Fort Lewis:

http://thedeadkidsofmyspace.blogspot.com/2009/07/jeffrey-smiley-arrested-on-child.html

I don't get this at all. This is the criteria for the Amber Alert in Oregon:

"Once law enforcement has been notified about an abducted child, they must first determine if the case meets the criteria for triggering an alert. Local and state programs establish specific criteria. Oregon´s criteria is listed below:

Law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted
The child is 17 years or younger*
The child may be in danger of serious bodily harm or death
There is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect´s vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help. My BOLD
The child's name and other critical data elements - including the child abduction (CA) and AMBER Alert (AA) flags will/have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.

* This alert system is not to be used when a child runs away or involves a custodial situation.
"BBM
http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/MCC/amber_alert.shtml

And yet, this Amber Alert is about a child's fathe

r taking her? Am I on earth right now, or another planet?

Are you dying from heat prostration down there? I just looked and it was 98 degrees about 10 min ago and now is back up to 101. Now back down to 98. :crazy:

The part I bolded is what often rules out candidates for the AA which is too bad.

The whole idea is to get the public looking for something they will recognize, the child or the perp's car. I think when it first became a fixture was when Samantha Runion was abducted in Orange Co Ca. The hwy signs attracted allot of attention from drivers up and down the coast hwy and they had a perfect description of the car from Samantha's playmate. I think this is what drives Mark Klaas nuts about the AA as it leaves out too many children who need that publicity of being missing so they can be found sooner. The window of 3 hours is a very short time to locate a child. xox

PS: I hope this child from Roseburg is returned home very soon. I'll go read the article and thanks for that Kimster.

In Europe they don't have to have info on a car to put the AA into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa