Small plane and Liberty Tours helicopter collide over Hudson River

One more reason for me to stay out of small planes and helicopters.

I hope they can rescue everyone.

One survivor pulled from water so far. The crash was between NYC and Hoboken, NJ.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=8284018

Update and correction:

According to NY Mayor Bloomberg:

2 bodies found, no survivors thus far. They expect this is a recovery operation, not a rescue operation. Currents are bad and visibility poor in this area of the river.

Plane was out of Teterboro Airport in Teaneck, NJ and had a pilot and 2 passengers (one a child).

Helicopter had pilot and 5 Italian tourists.

Some of the info is from notes I took, and may not be part of the following link:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=8284109&page=1

Collision of Plane, Helicopter Over Hudson Leaves 9 Dead

Saturday, August 8, 2009; 5:07 PM

NEW YORK, Aug. 8 -- A small plane collided with a tourist helicopter over the Hudson River Friday on crystal clear summer afternoon, ripping the rotor blades from the helicopter and severing one of the plane's wings, sending both aircraft plunging into the murky water and killing all nine people on board.

more at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/08/AR2009080801180.html?hpid=topnews

Bob Arnat {sp} on FOX News just said that model of airplane has a low wing and most likely did not have a visual of the heli below.

He also said the big planes go up right right away, but the mix of small planes and heli's over the Hudson River is not really monitored and is a real problem.

On FOX a lady from Canada took several shots of the impact, one of which shows the wing of the airplane flying off by itself. I tried to find those photos on line but evidently they aren't up yet. FOX is showing them over and over as you can expect with their live coverage.

Such a tragedy. God Bless all the lives lost and their families and friends.

Bob Arnat {sp} on FOX News just said that model of airplane has a low wing and most likely did not have a visual of the heli below.

He also said the big planes go up right right away, but the mix of small planes and heli's over the Hudson River is not really monitored and is a real problem.

On FOX a lady from Canada took several shots of the impact, one of which shows the wing of the airplane flying off by itself. I tried to find those photos on line but evidently they aren't up yet. FOX is showing them over and over as you can expect with their live coverage.

Such a tragedy. God Bless all the lives lost and their families and friends.
Thanks Scandi ~ I looked online also earlier for the one of the "splashdown" that FNC showed but it wasn't up yet. They're now showing on tv the one of the airplane missing a wing and the helicopter on it's way down. I remember several incidents with problems coming from Teterboro airport.

Thanks Scandi ~ I looked online also earlier for the one of the "splashdown" that FNC showed but it wasn't up yet. They're now showing on tv the one of the airplane missing a wing and the helicopter on it's way down. I remember several incidents with problems coming from Teterboro airport.

Hi Panthera, FOX has had several eye witnesses on. The last one said he was quite sure the plane was descending. Also that the heli broke into 3 distinct pieces, each with it's own smoke {vapor ?} trail as they went down; a tail piece, middle section and the front of the plane. He said after twirling around and around, the nose section of the heli suddenly took a nose dive straight down into the water. He said he saw no bodies fall out in the air.

There was also a pilot on the ground who saw the impending crash and tried to warn both the plane and the heli. His message evidently was not received in time by either.

Hi Panthera, FOX has had several eye witnesses on. The last one said he was quite sure the plane was descending. Also that the heli broke into 3 distinct pieces, each with it's own smoke {vapor ?} trail as they went down; a tail piece, middle section and the front of the plane. He said after twirling around and around, the nose section of the heli suddenly took a nose dive straight down into the water. He said he saw no bodies fall out in the air.

There was also a pilot on the ground who saw the impending crash and tried to warn both the plane and the heli. His message evidently was not received in time by either.
Yes, I heard him. Thankfully there were a lot of eyewitnesses and some were able to take photos. The photos of the plane and helicopter broken apart in mid-air are just horrific. They also said the victims likely were alive until they hit the water. I can only imagine how terrified they were. :cry:

Yes, I heard him. Thankfully there were a lot of eyewitnesses and some were able to take photos. The photos of the plane and helicopter broken apart in mid-air are just horrific. They also said the victims likely were alive until they hit the water. I can only imagine how terrified they were. :cry:

What an awful thought, although I hope they were knocked out by the impact right away. They said a plane hitting the water from that height up in the air would be akin to hitting concrete which is probably when death came for them.

What an awful thought, although I hope they were knocked out by the impact right away. They said a plane hitting the water from that height up in the air would be akin to hitting concrete which is probably when death came for them.
I at least hope they were unconscious before the impact with the river. There was a man just on FNC who was on a boat in the river and saw the plane & helicopter before they collision and said he just knew they were going to hit each other.

OMG ~ one of the tires believed to be from the airplane was found on a street near the river. Photo on Fox News.

OMG ~ one of the tires believed to be from the airplane was found on a street near the river. Photo on Fox News.

It must have been by the hand of God those tires landed on a road and didn't kill someone. It must be a very populated area.

We haven't learned anything about the people yet except for the Italian tourists in the heli. There is suppose to be a presser any minute but each news channel has a special show on, and I doubt they'll break in since it isn't an alert at this point.

The small plane that clipped a helicopter and crashed in the Hudson was carrying two Pennsylvania brothers who ran their family's sprawling real-estate business - and one of their teenage sons.
Steven Altman, 60, piloted the single-engine Piper. His passengers were Daniel Altman, 49, and Daniel's 15-year-old son Doug, police sources and family told the Daily News.

. . . Five Italian tourists aboard the Liberty Helicopters chopper also perished in the accident.
The Italian news agency Ansa identified the dead as Tiziana Pedrone, Fabio Gallazzi, Giacomo Gallazzi, Michele Norelli and Filippo Norelli. Hometowns were not released.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...8_heartbreak_for_pilots_tightknit_family.html

Divers Recover Fifth Body in Deadly NYC Air Crash

Divers recovered a piece of a submerged helicopter and a fifth body Sunday as investigators searched the Hudson River for wreckage from the helicopter and a small plane that collided in midair, killing nine people.

Investigators also were searching for pictures and video of Saturday's accident, which was seen by thousands out enjoying a beautiful summer day.

more at http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538590,00.html

Live NTSB news conference also in progress.

Divers Recover Fifth Body in Deadly NYC Air Crash

Divers recovered a piece of a submerged helicopter and a fifth body Sunday as investigators searched the Hudson River for wreckage from the helicopter and a small plane that collided in midair, killing nine people.

Investigators also were searching for pictures and video of Saturday's accident, which was seen by thousands out enjoying a beautiful summer day.

Live NTSB news conference also in progress.

From this link:

On Sunday morning, divers recovered a torso stuffed in the fuselage of the helicopter wreckage, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

Does anyone else think the wording of this sounds odd? At first I just thought it was the reporting, but I have seen the same "quote" in multiple sources.

From this link:

On Sunday morning, divers recovered a torso stuffed in the fuselage of the helicopter wreckage, two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press.

Does anyone else think the wording of this sounds odd? At first I just thought it was the reporting, but I have seen the same "quote" in multiple sources.
They're all AP articles so they're worded the same, but yes, it does sound odd. The word "stuffed" could've been omitted altogether, or replaced with "encased" would've been better. MOO

From this link:

Hi Angelmom, The word stuffed is odd but it must have been used to say the body appeared to be pushed in somewhere, right? That would be in the body of the heli where the passengers would be strapped in. On FOX they also were talking about body parts possibly being found.

I saw on FOX this morning that one body was trapped underneath the upsidedown heli, and after they raised the heli divers were going to go down and recover the body.

If that person's seat belt came undone, maybe others did too. If so, a body could have got stuck in a corner of the fusilage with the force of the impact on the water. Just pure speculation.

Seven Bodies Recovered in Deadly NYC Air Crash

HOBOKEN, N.J. — Seven of the nine victims killed in a midair collision that happened when a small plane crashed into a New York City tour helicopter over the Hudson River were recovered Sunday, the NTSB said.

Also Sunday, New York City police said they located the wreckage of the plane. Chief police spokesman Paul Browne said the fuselage was discovered just north of the helicopter crash site in the water off Hoboken, N.J. It was detected with sonar scanner.

More plane wreckage was found farther out in the river under about 50 feet of water.

My thoughts go out to the victims of this tragedy and their families.

How very said.

I hate to read of such heartache.

Blessing

Gozgals

Oh my! I had no idea the impact of hitting the water would be like hitting concrete! :(
That is horrible.
This whole story is just awful.

My prayers are with the families and friends of the victims, as well as the eyewitnesses to such a horrific accident.
I can't imagine witnessing something like this. Just awful :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back