Excluding the Ramseys, Profile of the Killer.

thelmadawg

Reaction score
I followed this case for years, and frankly haven't revisited until now. While I know some are convinced of Ramsey involvement, can we explore the profile again of someone other than them?

My take:
Profile of the Killer:
Sexual Sadist - pedophiliac
Signature garrote
Prior Offender
Male
About 30 give or take a few years
Some education, but nothing exceptional
Some familiarity with the Ramsey's either as workman, through the pageants, business, press.
Rancor towards John , unexplained.

Do we know the current state of the investigation?

http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/1997/07/24-1.html

JR's statement from 1997:

JonBenet's killer may have been suffering from some stress in the weeks and months preceding the crime;
A triggering event, such as a job crisis or crisis in a personal relationship, may have caused this individual to vent anger, perhaps at a female close to him, or perhaps at me personally;
Since the murder, this individual may rabidly read news reports of the investigation, listen to talk talk radio shows oriented to coverage of the murder;
He possibly has increased his consumption of alcohol or drugs;
He may have even turned to religion;
He may be rigid, nervous and preoccupied in casual con versation;
He may have tried to appear very cooperative with the authorities if he was contacted during the course of the police investigation;
He may have quickly constructed an alibi for his whereabouts the night JonBenet was killed and may have repeated it several times to key individuals around him as if rehearsing them in the answer;
The killer is someone who may have previously been in my home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would add:

military background
political system or ideology other than capitalism
uses the expression 'victory' a lot
ESL
mission-type serial killer
is known for his lack of empathy

A sexual sadist would have caused FAR more damage to JB than what was found. And she'd likely have been left in a sexually explicit position, to add to the shock value when she was found. She'd not have been covered up and redressed.
As much as there are some aspects to this case that I can envision intruder involvement, there are still too many things the parents have lied about to eliminate them from some type of involvement. There are the fibers, too. And their fibers are the ONLY fibers found on the body.
Creepy neighborhood loner? It happens. It happened to a friend's little girl many years ago.
But this case....it isn't just that "intruder" doesn't fit for me, it's more that the parents fit so well.

Well a small forgien faction I can't see cause of the amount of the RN...But trying to find an intruder is hard when you look at the evidence that points to the R's and sometimes I think it points to good at them....But when JR can make statements that his lawyers hired investigators just to make a defense for them,I would have to think if truly innocent why....

However Amy described her attacker, there's your profile

http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/1997/07/24-1.html

JR's statement from 1997:

JonBenet's killer may have been suffering from some stress in the weeks and months preceding the crime;
A triggering event, such as a job crisis or crisis in a personal relationship, may have caused this individual to vent anger, perhaps at a female close to him, or perhaps at me personally;
Since the murder, this individual may rabidly read news reports of the investigation, listen to talk talk radio shows oriented to coverage of the murder;
He possibly has increased his consumption of alcohol or drugs;
He may have even turned to religion;

He may be rigid, nervous and preoccupied in casual conversation;
He may have tried to appear very cooperative with the authorities if he was contacted during the course of the police investigation;
He may have quickly constructed an alibi for his whereabouts the night JonBenet was killed and may have repeated it several times to key individuals around him as if rehearsing them in the answer;
The killer is someone who may have previously been in my home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would add:

military background
political system or ideology other than capitalism
uses the expression 'victory' a lot
ESL
mission-type serial killer
is known for his lack of empathy

(SD whistles "Don't Worry, Be Happy")

In all seriousness, I find it hard to profile an intruder because it was such a scattershot crime. (Which has been my point all along.)

(SD whistles "Don't Worry, Be Happy")

In all seriousness, I find it hard to profile an intruder because it was such a scattershot crime. (Which has been my point all along.)

Why did you highlight 'military' and 'known for his lack of empathy' and then whistle 'dont worry be happy'?

Its nonsensical to everyone but you. Wanna fill me in?

Those with a predisposition for RDI would not be able to produce a profile other than 'female southern drama mom' .

Actually the only profile ever done that I seen as been on the murder was PR...And thur JR statment in 1997 really the first I seen on a man but some would say JR is describing himself...To me I think profiles should have been done on eberyone that could had been close to this murder....

Fascinating stuff, Thelmadawg. There are several aspects I'd doubt, though - for example, JBR was conceivably unconscious from the head blow when the ligature was used (it wasn't a 'garrote' in the classic`sense) and there were no defence wounds to suggest that she struggled against an attacker so it's hard to infer sadism. As DeeDee says, she was redressed and wrapped up protectively rather than being left in a grotesque position. Dr Henry Lee also took the view that there was very little sexual gratification involved in the actual crime.

I believe the perp was someone who became obsessed with the so-called Zodiac murders after studying them and seeing movies like Dirty Harry and Speed, inspired by the same theme, and wanted to try this for himself. This was a copycat Zodiac murder in other words by someone obsessed by the whole idea. Someone mature in age but immature in attitude, and very warped in his thinking.

He alludes to the fact that he has killed before when he says: "You're not the only fat cat around, so don't think killing will be difficult."

He likes to brag: about knowing police methods, about how easy it is for him to kill, and that he will be victorious (Victory! Shall Be The Call). These are probably statements of what he truly believes about himself, since killers do like to brag.

may have repeated it several times to key individuals around him as if rehearsing them in the answer

LOL if this doesn't sound like the R's in their LE interviews I will eat a bug!

And btw,you keep forgetting that the people who made this profile were hired to prepare JR's defence not to catch a killer.

Bringing my post over

JonBenet's killer may have been suffering from some stress in the weeks and months preceding the crime; (sounds like PR)

A triggering event, such as a job crisis or crisis in a personal relationship, may have caused this individual to vent anger, perhaps at a female close to him, or perhaps at me personally; (a female CLOSE to him,hmmm)

Since the murder, this individual may rabidly read news reports of the investigation, listen to talk talk radio shows oriented to coverage of the murder; (I know,I know,PR said they never watched tv again.Right)

He possibly has increased his consumption of alcohol or drugs; (what about anti-depressants)

He may have even turned to religion; (HA! :D)

He may be rigid, nervous and preoccupied in casual con versation; (sounds like you,JR)

He may have tried to appear very cooperative with the authorities if he was contacted during the course of the police investigation; (appear,I agree,sounds like you again)

He may have quickly constructed an alibi for his whereabouts the night JonBenet was killed (yep,was sound asleep)and may have repeated it several times to key individuals around him as if rehearsing them in the answer; (sound like your LE interviews)

The killer is someone who may have previously been in my home. (he/she lives there?)

Not only could this profile fit the R's,....it could fit EVERYONE.Nothing concrete actually.

I believe the perp was someone who became obsessed with the so-called Zodiac murders after studying them and seeing movies like Dirty Harry and Speed, inspired by the same theme, and wanted to try this for himself. This was a copycat Zodiac murder in other words by someone obsessed by the whole idea. Someone mature in age but immature in attitude, and very warped in his thinking.

He alludes to the fact that he has killed before when he says: "You're not the only fat cat around, so don't think killing will be difficult."

He likes to brag: about knowing police methods, about how easy it is for him to kill, and that he will be victorious (Victory! Shall Be The Call). These are probably statements of what he truly believes about himself, since killers do like to brag.

I'm not convinced murder was the motive. The Zodiac killer liked to brag, and send mysterious notes to the police. That was one thing lacking in the JBR case---no followup mysterious messages. If it was a kidnapping gone bad, he/she/they murdered JBR most likely because she was harder to handle then anticipated, and something she did made them angry.

I don't think there was much planning......this perp may have known and resented John Ramsey...and the Access article triggered the idea, along with "Ransom."

We do know the per was into extortion movies; knew how to make the garrotte (martial arts training?); brought along a stun gun and most likely bat; rope; duct tape; and twine. The killing device was improvised in the basement.

If you look at what we do know, the type of perp smacks more of a younger person--someone similar in age to JAR. The fact it was on Christmas makes me wonder if that was deliberately picked or just coincidental with the timing of the Access article. This could have been a thrill crime---with no rhyme or reason---someone out for kicks.

Not only could this profile fit the R's,....it could fit EVERYONE.Nothing concrete actually.

Stress? job crisis? increased consumption of alcohol? Sounds like a half dozen people I know.

You're right, its a very vague profile.

I think that murder was the motive but a secondary one. And I see no comparison whatsoever to the Zodiac. The Zodiac was about taunting police and having a sense of superiority. I am of course guessing here but I imagine that the perp hoped on getting JBR out of the house. I think the intruder was a young sadist and he also knew of and had a beef with John Ramsey. I must admit that it is hard writing that because it seems unrealistic. Of course almost any motive seems crazy in this case.

I would look real hard at families that worked in the Ramsey home and families who had loved ones who lost jobs at Access Graphics. The bonus amount could get out to others fairly easily, second hand. Please don't make me explain that, but I had to fire someone several years ago for this very thing. Many times, people who actually write the checks, are not necessarily in mangement. It takes a special kind of person to see this and keep quiet and happy.

I also think Voynich might be holding the trump card as far as this case goes.

Ok,I will give it a shot,and I am not looking at it from RDI or IDI point of view.....

it must have been someone very.....confused....I mean look at the crime and the crime scene..........he doesn't leave prints ANYWHERE even if we know he must have touched LOTS of things in that house,but he leaves his DNA all over the place.(let's say it belongs to....him)
The note is a piece of BS IMO.He wants money but he doesn't even try to out-smart them by taking the body out of the house........
He wants to sexually assault the victim.....but all he does is (probably) digital penetration and messed around with that damn paint brush.....
He sends some sort of message to John.....hateful tone......but no one gets it,not even John...................

Did this person even know what he really wanted???

If it's wasn't a parent+cover-up then God knows what this is all about.You can't even profile "IT".Why didn't a SFF just blow up the house and job done?Why would a pedo write a note adressed to John?All things together just don't make sense!

If it's wasn't a parent+cover-up then God knows what this is all about.You can't even profile "IT".Why didn't a SFF just blow up the house and job done?Why would a pedo write a note adressed to John?All things together just don't make sense!

Spot on, Madeleine: a single profile for this crime would be nigh-on impossible. I think it was you who had that quote of ST's as a signature ('unknown in the annals of crime; such a bird does not exist..). I think that's right, at least in terms of profiling the crime.

I have just spent a few minutes on a profile that would fit my IDI alternative theory and have to admit that I am scared to post it since it's so obvious who I have as my IDI suspects and we have to be careful. Suffice to say that both Voynich and HOTYH have hit upon aspects of this case that would lead me to those suspects and that I see undergraduate humour (or someone exposed to undergraduate humour) as clear as a coal seam through the RN.

Well,I am scared to post my IDI theories as well.......because in two outta 3 I have to be very specific and throw out the POI's names.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back