CA - Foster parents arrested in connection with murder of Hasanni Campbell - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad feeling about LR today (Tuesday)... I reckon he and all his righteous indignation will be back on the street very soon.

I cringe at the prospect, but I tend to agree with you. And if they let him go now, no one on earth will be able to shut him up. God help the media if they let him go. They'll all have to update their servers to accomodate the constant flow of "LR TV."

Missing Boy's Foster Mother Speaks About Release

Posted: 11:05 pm PDT August 31, 2009
Updated: 1:07 am PDT September 1, 2009

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The foster mother of Hasanni Campbell told KTVU after her release from jail Monday that she hasn't lost her focus on finding the five-year-old who went missing three weeks ago.

Jennifer Campbell was released from jail just hours before her first scheduled court appearance. Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said there was “insufficient evidence” to charge her at this time and that police have a "different standard of proof" than prosecutors.

"All I know is that this was one of the most difficult times in my life," Campbell told KTVU after her release. "I'm still focused on finding Hasanni."

Campbell said she was "in utter shock" when police arrested her at the Union City BART station Friday when she spoke to KTVU about being interrogated by police.

"They just said I was guilty of something. I told them I didn't do anything. I just said find Hasanni. They accused me over and over again of doing something. I told them I didn't," Campbell said.

Oakland police have not said what led to the arrest of the foster parents or why investigators believe the child is dead.

Following her release, Campbell attended a prayer service for Hasanni in the Rockridge neighborhood.

Campbell was greeted by friends and those who have helped in the search for Hasanni.

BBM

More at:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/20660596/detail.html

One logistical note. The subforum is wonderful, but I'm finding it impossible to keep up on so many threads. Could we possibly retitle this thread (or another one) "MAIN THREAD" so that people who don't want to splinter off can stay on track? I feel like we've lost a little bit of steam since splitting everything up so much. Or maybe we can group closed threads together or something?

I'm also not sure where to post things. For instance, the report of the vigil. Should that be here in the arrest (defacto "Main") thread? In the JC thread since she was there? In the Search for Hasanni thread since their next search was mentioned?

I really don't mean to complain, but I felt there was a lot of power in all of us staying informed at the same level and on the same page (even if that meant a lot of single thread catch-up). It's just so hard to keep up with so many threads!

One logistical note. The subforum is wonderful, but I'm finding it impossible to keep up on so many threads. Could we possibly retitle this thread (or another one) "MAIN THREAD" so that people who don't want to splinter off can stay on track? I feel like we've lost a little bit of steam since splitting everything up so much. Or maybe we can group closed threads together or something?

I'm also not sure where to post things. For instance, the report of the vigil. Should that be here in the arrest (defacto "Main") thread? In the JC thread since she was there? In the Search for Hasanni thread since their next search was mentioned?

I really don't mean to complain, but I felt there was a lot of power in all of us staying informed at the same level and on the same page (even if that meant a lot of single thread catch-up). It's just so hard to keep up with so many threads!

I understand how you're feeling, and agree (especially with the worry that we are losing steam). The main thread was closed by someone, for some reason, so I guess this is what we have...? If LR is released today, we should start a "general discussion" thread again, I think.

One organizational note: If you are starting threads, please continue to tag them "Hasanni Campbell," as well as anything more specific, even though this case now has a subforum. It makes it easier for thread creation later (it's easier to just hit the tag than do a search), and will make searches easier in the long run.

I am trying to tag every naked thread I come across, but it would be easier if people would just remember to do that when they make the thread. TIA.

I understand how you're feeling, and agree (especially with the worry that we are losing steam). The main thread was closed by someone, for some reason, so I guess this is what we have...? If LR is released today, we should start a "general discussion" thread again, I think.

Don't quote me on this...I'm not 100% certain, but; it looks to me as though cases that are given a sub-forum have no general discussion thread. I went back and looked at some of the others listed with Hasanni and all of them have what started out as general discussion threads, and they're closed. I think this is because the theory is, the sub-forum breaks everything up and eliminates the need for the general discussion thread. If you unlocked it and someone slammed it shut, I'm reasonably certain it's going to stay that way. That also tells me if we open another general discussion thread, we might need to do so while running because MOM/MODS are going to hunt us down and lop off our refresh button.

Don't quote me on this...I'm not 100% certain, but; it looks to me as though cases that are given a sub-forum have no general discussion thread. I went back and looked at some of the others listed with Hasanni and all of them have what started out as general discussion threads, and they're closed. I think this is because the theory is, the sub-forum breaks everything up and eliminates the need for the general discussion thread. If you unlocked it and someone slammed it shut, I'm reasonably certain it's going to stay that way. That also tells me if we open another general discussion thread, we might need to do so while running because MOM/MODS are going to hunt us down and lop off our refresh button.

The Tori Stafford case used to have a rumour thread in the parking lot and a news thread in the missing forum, but lost its RT, so people started clogging up the NT with rumour. Then, when the case got its own subforum, they seem to have gone to just plain "Canada-**FOUND** Victoria Stafford, 8, Woodstock, Ontario; thread #27", etc., and now it is news and rumour and everything else.

It seems to me that that is what we need here, and that case seems to get away with it.

maybe letting her out is to watch and see what she does and to shake him up so he will implicate her??? i dont trust either one of these people...:(
i think they are going to have to turn them against each other...

JMHO
When they arrested JC that opened up some more doors for LE...they could do more agressive investigating on her and IF she 'rolls over' on LR then all the better. They DID do more searching of the house after her arrest and they took the computer and a few paper sacks of items. If they have an idea of what may have happened, they could have asked her what seemed to her as unrelated questions to see what she would tell them. Plus, not filing charges now, DOESN'T MEAN THEY NEVER WILL...

LE KNOWS SOMETHING...WE (being the wonderful sleuths we are):blowkiss: just need to 'figure it out'.

maybe letting her out is to watch and see what she does and to shake him up so he will implicate her??? i dont trust either one of these people...:(
i think they are going to have to turn them against each other...

I was thinking that, but I didn't want to post it in case she is reading here and it reminded her not to go do anything she doesn't want LE to see. :crazy:

Ever take note that in the midst of a drug bust, LE will sometimes arrest the undercover cop to prevent blowing his/her cover? Just sayin.

They didn't need to arrest them to get them to talk. They both do plenty of that and the media interviews probably provided LE a WEALTH of invaluable insight. They didn't need to arrest them to search the house. They'd 'been there and done that' already. They put what seems to be unnecessary, added burden on animal control adding two dogs to their shelter to care for. Just to let the dog owners go? They risked making themselves (LE) a laughing stock by going and getting them and letting at least one of them (to date) go. LE of all people knows that the world is watching.

I have no patience and I am PIZZED because Hasanni hasn't come home yet. But I believe they know exactly what they're doing. I don't get it, and I don't like it, but I think later we'll say "d@mn that was SMART thinking by LE." I have to believe that THEY are focused on Hasanni. And I believe that Thomasson (sp? the OPD spokesman) won't tell us JACK now because he knows if he says one word sideways, it's going to blow up in their faces.
I don't know what Jennifer knows, but she DOES appear responsible. She's held the same job for five years. That takes commitment. No one has dug up a bunch of criminal history on her either so she knows right from wrong and obeys the law as far as we can tell. She waited until she was over 30 years old to get pregnant...so she's practical, she's smart, and anyone who waits MUST care about the welfare of their prospective children, right? (that's the way it looks in an 'on the outside looking in' kinda way).
I'm beginning to wonder if Jennifer has Stockholm Syndrome. Can you get that after only two years?!? I know, I'm only teasing...sorta.
I really hate this case. It turns my brain into mush. I change my mind every half an hour. It's like menopause on steroids.

I agree, SF - I was expecting them to find Hasanni by now. Very disappointed by that.

Do any of you know if there are web cams in the areas of: the wrecking yard, walmart in freemont, Shuz, LR's house...

http://www.ktvu.com/news/20660596/detail.html

"All I know is that this was one of the most difficult times in my life," Campbell told KTVU after her release. "I'm still focused on finding Hasanni."

Campbell said she was "in utter shock" when police arrested her at the Union City BART station Friday when she spoke to KTVU about being interrogated by police.

"They just said I was guilty of something. I told them I didn't do anything. I just said find Hasanni. They accused me over and over again of doing something. I told them I didn't," Campbell said.

Campbell said she was kept away from other inmates in an isolated cell at Santa Rita jail, but could still hear the inmates yell out derogatory remarks at her.

"I know what's in my heart and anybody who knows me knows what I'm capable of. [They] know what I would do and know that this isn't even in my character," she said. Campbell also said she has no doubt that Ross did not harm Hasanni either.

"We had nothing to do with it. He's our little boy. We want him...and we want him back and our main concern is finding him and we still want people to come out. We still want people to know he is missing."

"I think it was a rush to judgment, if you will. Overreaction from the police," Burris said. "They [the police] did not have evidence to support a conviction for her and I doubt if they do for him. It may be a tactic on their part."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/BA1919GD4D.DTL

John Burris, an attorney who has been consulting with the couple, said of Campbell, "I'm not surprised that the D.A. chose not to file charges. There was never evidence connecting her to a crime.

"At best, it was just her association with Louis, but that was not in any way reflective of criminal behavior or knowledge on her part," Burris said. "I totally thought it was a wrong-headed approach by the Police Department."

As for Ross, Burris said police probably arrested him simply because they didn't believe his story that Hasanni had been outside the shoe store.

"From there, they inferred that if he's lying about that, then he must know something about it," Burris said. "But there's no real evidence. There's no independent evidence of any kind, no corroborative evidence and no admissions by him. In that sense, it's pretty weak."

The article posted above also states...

"A search of Lake Elizabeth in Fremont has been organized for Saturday morning. Volunteers said they intend to continue to hold weekly vigils for Hasanni until he is found"

I wonder if this search is organized by LE or by volunteers? The article doesn't make it very clear. At least we know someone is still searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74