How and where did George and Margaret meet?

Hi all.. just some new info abt Margaret Kukoda...
I have not the Footnote subscription but I found some articles abt MK, but I can read only a very little part of articles....
around WWII (1943/4)time seeming that MK, Navy nurse, was in:

-Preglesville (article of 13 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6... but I cannot find this town maybe the spelling is partial or no correct);
-Norfolk, VA( article of 13-Feb-1944 and 10-May-1944 both in News - Poughkeepsie Journal );
-St Albans, Long Island, NY( in 12-Mar-1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal pag 6A)
the MK name is mentioned in Buddy Bond Honor Roll in article of 20 feb 1944 News - Poughkeepsie Journal
that mean that MK met GB in the ending of WWII
if someone have the Footnote subscription abt this articles http://www.footnote.com/search.php?query[0]=kukoda&nav=0&start=21
it can give us more details...
all the best,
raf

Raf, This town is actually Riegelsville. If I remember correctly, the funeral home and/or cemetary was located in this town.

I have the articles now... thanks to my Valarie genealogist friend.....

source:
Publication Title: Poughkeepsie Journal
Content Source: Gannett
Content Partner: Gannett
Place: Dutchess County
Footnote Publication Year: 2009
Language: English
State: New York
Short Description: The "Poughkeepsie Journal" is the oldest newspaper in New York state, a publication that has reported on important national and regional news since 1785.
Year: 1945
Month: May
Day: 23Page: 8
Volume: LXIII
Number: 354

again DeVor friendship
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/867/page8cu.jpg

all the best,
raf

I contacted a woman who was doing research on her DeVor family a couple years ago. She said she would check her records for a Russell (however she confirmed that he was related to her uncle), and get back with me. Still no word from her. Can someone search thru Ancestry website for Russell? Perhaps if Russell was MK's boyfriend who she headed to CA with, he may have gotten married later after their split or her death. The family claims it was her boyfriend Russell who sent her remains back east.

I contacted a woman who was doing research on her DeVor family a couple years ago. She said she would check her records for a Russell (however she confirmed that he was related to her uncle), and get back with me. Still no word from her. Can someone search thru Ancestry website for Russell? Perhaps if Russell was MK's boyfriend who she headed to CA with, he may have gotten married later after their split or her death. The family claims it was her boyfriend Russell who sent her remains back east.

was it rulled out that russell was not gb?. could mk and russell have split at one point and maybe mk was not close to her family at that time and gb instead of complicating things decided to pretend he was russell?

Hi SherlockJr,
I remember that the search was already made about Russell DeVor... in 1940 Russell A DeVor ( complete: Arthur Russell born in New Jersey) lived in Poughkeepsie, NY, serviceman profession; in 1941 ditto and budget manager profession; 1942 ditto, machinist profession

1930 United States Federal Census
about Russell A Devor
Name: Russell A Devor
Home in 1930: Hyde Park, Dutchess, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1913
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Charles A
Mother's Name: Eveline
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles A Devor 51
Eveline Devor 53
Russell A Devor 17

It was 2 Russell DeVor born abt in same year;
-one in NJ and living in Poughkeepsie, NY( MK friend)
and
-one (Russell Vernell DeVor) born in Illinois, lived in Michigan, died in Glendale, California;

but the problem is to find more of Russell DeVor of Poughkeepsie, NY... it are several articles by Footnote (Poughkeepsie Journal ) http://www.footnote.com/search.php?query[0]=DeVor+Russell+A&nav=4278445030 b
and so, from a first very partial reading of records( I have no the subscription), seeming that Russell is mentioned until war time in same town;

the other records seeming abt other DeVors but no of Russell; in 1972 the Russell name appearing in a record abt a daughter/grandaughter (?) marriage....

Arthur Russell DeVor was drafted in oct 1940 and I believe that he died as Arthur DeVor name
Arthur DEVOR
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1913
Death Date: Jul 1969
Social Security Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York

However: because GB lived in Oakland from 1936 until 1944 and maybe also after, and Russell DeVor in same years was in Poughkeepsie NY, Russell cannot be GB; it are two different persons totally...
but Russell DeVor could be the first boyfriend of MK...

all the best....
raf

Raf, This town is actually Riegelsville. If I remember correctly, the funeral home and/or cemetary was located in this town.

Thanks Sherlock! Talk about a spelling error! I couldn't figure out Pregglesville for the life of me. :)

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I found this link about Leslie DeVore widow of Russell DeVore:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.obits/86391/mb.ashx?pnt=1

"She was the widow of the late Russell L. DeVore; he died Sept. 2, 1980."

"She was a former foster grandparent at the Headstart Program and member of the Daughters of America..."

"Predeceased son and daugher, Russell K. DeVore and Sharon DeVore."

Hi SherlockJr,
I remember that the search was already made about Russell DeVor... in 1940 Russell A DeVor ( complete: Arthur Russell born in New Jersey) lived in Poughkeepsie, NY, serviceman profession; in 1941 ditto and budget manager profession; 1942 ditto, machinist profession

1930 United States Federal Census
about Russell A Devor
Name: Russell A Devor
Home in 1930: Hyde Park, Dutchess, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1913
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Charles A
Mother's Name: Eveline
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles A Devor 51
Eveline Devor 53
Russell A Devor 17

It was 2 Russell DeVor born abt in same year;
-one in NJ and living in Poughkeepsie, NY( MK friend)
and
-one (Russell Vernell DeVor) born in Illinois, lived in Michigan, died in Glendale, California;

but the problem is to find more of Russell DeVor of Poughkeepsie, NY... it are several articles by Footnote (Poughkeepsie Journal ) http://www.footnote.com/search.php?query[0]=DeVor+Russell+A&nav=4278445030 b
and so, from a first very partial reading of records( I have no the subscription), seeming that Russell is mentioned until war time in same town;

the other records seeming abt other DeVors but no of Russell; in 1972 the Russell name appearing in a record abt a daughter/grandaughter (?) marriage....

Arthur Russell DeVor was drafted in oct 1940 and I believe that he died as Arthur DeVor name
Arthur DEVOR
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1913
Death Date: Jul 1969
Social Security Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York

However: because GB lived in Oakland from 1936 until 1944 and maybe also after, and Russell DeVor in same years was in Poughkeepsie NY, Russell cannot be GB; it are two different persons totally...
but Russell DeVor could be the first boyfriend of MK...

all the best....
raf

Hey raf...Are you in Italy??? (I am too.) My parents are Italian but my first language was English. PM me would you! I'd love to exchange information with you.

yes i'm italian and I live in Italy....
raf

I have found Margaret Kukoda connected to a Russell DeVor. I'll do some more searching and post what I find. If this Russell has already been looked at, please let me know.

OMG! Raf...And anyone else that knows how to use ancestry.com...

I had a few minutes today and did some searching for Russell A Devor. On a lark clicked on articles that came up and lo-and-behold...The first link I opened up had an article about a Mrs Effie Devor! I have no idea how to share this! I realize that it's most likely irrelevant but given how rare the name is, I thought that it might be worth mentioning!

The article is from The Daily News, Huntingdon PA, dated August 9, 1943 and its an add that reads:

"FOR SALE - Pair of Redbone Coon Hounds about 3 years old. Registered female Bluestick Hound 2 years old. Mrs. Effie Devor, Mapleton Depot."

If someone can tell me how to link to the information that I found, I would be most happy to do so!

Info I've managed to find so far...

Effie Devor of Mount Union was married to Jessie J Devor. They appear on 1930 census as 22 and 21 respectively. Their wedding bans are posted in the same publication on Jan. 30, 1930. Jessie J Devor and Effie M. Wagnor of Mount Union and Mapleton. Notice in the Huntingdon Daily news gives thanks for flowers and cars for Jessie's funeral on August 10th, 1943. Effie posts a Birthday notice for her daughter Miss Jean/Jeanne Marie Devor on Dec. 31, 1943 with no mention of father. Jean later appears in an article about a class reunion and she is listed as Jean Marie Devor Miller. (I cannot find any information about her beyond this.) Lost in the searches, I come up and find a Jeanne Lillith Devor with birthdate 1930 in of-all-places...Poughkeepsie, New York, USA.

My hinky metre is rising. Not sure if I'm off on a wild goose chase or what but would really appreciate some help from you guys!

Note that Effie's listing to sell dogs include a listing for August 7th, then the 9th and on the 10th is the listing thanking for her husband's funeral. Also, Jessie (her husband) pops up always with listings for the same dogs (sometimes lost and sometimes found) in the same publication. Bizarre. I can't make heads or tails of any of this and have been unable to find proper death records for Jessie born about 1907 or 1908.

I'll keep plodding...

"Mr. and Mrs. Russell Deavor and family spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Reeder." Huntingdon PA, November Nov.23, 1935.

Hmm...

While Annasmom indicated the spelling was Eifee on Anna's birth certificate, I'm not convinced it was not a misspelling of Effie. Because of that, I would continue to search anything with Effie, but I don't have an ancestry membership. Hopefully those who have ancestry memberships will take a look at that.

thanks!

I had ancestry.com, and should have it again this week (membership ran out, plus we had a fraud situation and are waiting for new cc's to bill it again.) As soon as I get it, I will look into this more...

While Annasmom indicated the spelling was Eifee on Anna's birth certificate, I'm not convinced it was not a misspelling of Effie. Because of that, I would continue to search anything with Effie, but I don't have an ancestry membership. Hopefully those who have ancestry memberships will take a look at that.

thanks!

Not only was it definitely spelled EIFEE, but the Georges pronounced it EYE-FEE (like the Eiffel Tower), so I really don't think there's any connection with Effie, which seems to have been a fairly common name back in the nineteen twenties and thirties.

Thank you Annasmom, I was unaware the George's pronounced it Eye-fee.

Jules, not sure where you are going with all these Margarets! Margaret Kukoda was Margaret Kukoda only. Never married. Margaret was born in New Jersey in the spring of 1917 and died in Aug 1967.

A visitor of the forum has sent an e-mail to Dr. Doogie and I sharing with us that MK's California nursing license was issued in 1947. Our guess is that 1947 was the year she left the Army and applied for a civilian nursing license. Hmmm, wasn't she charged in 1952 or 1953? Maybe it was 1947 when she went to California?

Licensee Name: KUKODA MARGARET MARY
License Type: Registered Nurse
License Number: 58266
License Status: REVOKED
Expiration Date: April 30, 1958
Issue Date: January 31, 1947
County: SAN FRANCISCO
Actions: No

Thanks PS for sending us the tip!

Since this is the only info I can find regarding MK's nursing license I am going to use the April 30, 1958 as the date the license was revoked. I think if the license was revoked sooner the expiration date would have been changed to reflect the correct date, no?

Since this is the only info I can find regarding MK's nursing license I am going to use the April 30, 1958 as the date the license was revoked. I think if the license was revoked sooner the expiration date would have been changed to reflect the correct date, no?
Her conviction for a felony occurred in January, 1953, and I believe that would have automatically resulted in her license being revoked, even if it was due to expire in 1958. It makes sense because obviously she was not practicing as a nurse after that time.

I will go and make that change Annasmom. I didn't recall that date of conviction and your post makes sense. I couldn't find the old articles when I searched this afternoon for some reason.... I used to be able to find them via google news archives but couldn't today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back