Photo Images inside Garrido Home

I was raised in that culture too.... I was a hippy and my house was clean.
I hung out with hippies and their house was clean too, maybe they were a bit more messy
but I am a Virgo = neatnik... :)

NOP ! DIRTY WAS NOT OUR MOTTO, CULTURE or LIFESTYLE.
Free spirit was our real lifestyle. (not dirty) Nothing about them relates to hippy, or beatnik.
They were just pigs on every level.

Probably just a difference in experience. Growing up, our house was always a mess, and every other house I went to was a mess, with stuff piled up. Cars and vans were filled with crap. People lived like they were homeless. But perhaps that is a symptom of hippies + drugs. Or Hippies + poverty. Like I said before, I'm not including the affluent hippies that were all over LA at the time.

I just finished looking at all those photos, and it makes me wonder when the last time some of these items were even used ~ like the vacuum, shower, the hand sanitizer in the kitchen, and so much more. I can't even see how they could've cooked anything there with piles of stuff on top of the stove. It's far worse than a pig sty, imo. And that fish tank ~ :sick: MOO

In the beginning I saw a picture with a box of cereal in JC's tent. I imagine that was what they often ate.
I too can not imagine cooking in that dump.
I am smiling now because they are eating well, and I am sure enjoying every bite. :)

Well his projection room looked the cleanest of all. It had a computer in there to. I mean seriously who has a projection screen set up in their home. Think we all know what he was doing for entertainment in his house. Just sickness nonstop in that house im guessing.

:crazy: maybe I am nuts :crazy:
but what if he allowed the girls to watch video movies?

Would he be watching *advertiser censored* in front of them? :eek:
:waitasec: would they bond with him if they saw something like that :waitasec:
I really can not imagine. but maybe I am naive...

Probably just a difference in experience. Growing up, our house was always a mess, and every other house I went to was a mess, with stuff piled up. Cars and vans were filled with crap. People lived like they were homeless. But perhaps that is a symptom of hippies + drugs. Or Hippies + poverty. Like I said before, I'm not including the affluent hippies that were all over LA at the time.
we were not affluent, but we were not drug users. Just a little smoke, went good with music.... :) but that is all.

Access to the house was probably limited to any chores she might need to do, and work for the printing business. Possibly they ate indoors as well, apparently their diet consisted of TV dinners and meatloaf, stuff like that, which presumably would have had to be prepared in the kitchen.

I hadn't heard that about the TV dinners. Where did you find that info?

I DON"T feel for the crime scene investigators one iota. I feel for a child/woman who grew up in tents in a backyard and who gave birth to children as a result of rape. A "difficult scene to process"..yep, surely. How about a "difficult scene to process" for those who were abused and lived (thankfully) to tell their tale?

MOO

I hope that this family manages to find peace and I truly hope that, unfortunately - in order to do so, that they realize that the world is waiting to hear and digest this sordid tale.

No doubt. I didn't mean to minimize the tragedy that took place there. Nor what jaycee & her girls suffered. Im sorry if I offended you. The pictures are very hard to look at- at the time of my post I think I was attempting to focus on another aspect to relieve a heavy heart and mind.

I saw Ramen noodles in one of the photographs of the interior of the Garrido residence.

Picture%205.jpg

I believe there is a microwave in one of the sheds in the backyard (?)

There was some news item (I don't recall where) that mentioned what they were feeding them in the safe house. Apparently it was that stuff because it was what they were used to. No "fizzy drinks" either IIRC, just cold water.

the sheds in the backyard seemed to be in better (cleaner, more organized) condition than the house

this doesn't even look like a case of hoarding, b/c even hoarders maintain some kind of organized chaos (at least the ones I've seen - usually piles of random stuff but with clear pathways through the piles)

I thought it was ironic to see a towel hanging over the shower stall & what looks like deodorant sitting on a dresser in that pigsty

You should watch Hoarders on A&E on Monday nights. It's been on a few weeks. Hoarders often start out with slightly organized piles, but if there is no help with the condition and/or a big stressor occurs (on the show it's mostly death of a parent or spouse) it just becomes a huge mess like those photos.

The film screen creeps me out. We had one (or my grandparents did, so maybe it's his mother's) when I was young, but it makes me wonder what kind of movies he's watching!

In the photo of the kitchen sink, you will note that there is a hand sanitizer dispenser on the cupboard that is hanging on the left hand side of the sink.

These people lived like pigs, yet they had hand sanitizer in that dump?

God bless Jaycee and her two daughters. I pray most fervently that they are able to overcome the atrocities to which they have been subjected, and of which I just cannot begin to fathom.

I noticed that, too! I don't know anyone who has a dispenser like that even if it's just soap. Maybe it's something his mother put in or from a previous owner. Or, oddly, I saw a woman on a hoarding show (MSNBC had some great specials on it) who said she could not clean up her house because it was too dirty. It has a weird kind of logic, though. The computer set up in Garrido's home facing the film screen reminded me of one apt they were cleaning up on an MSNBC show where the professional cleaner said there is often a "control station" type area, or something like that, in the midst of the mess.

I don't really know how to express what I've been thinking about, but I'll TRY.

I've been really struck by the "abandoned" stuffed animals in the photographs, and this was brought home by the panda in these photos.

From what I've experienced in my life, children often give their stuffed animals human characteristics - - they don't want them to get cold, feel pain, be lonely. Thus, a child will take care of a stuffed animal, tucking it into bed, making sure it's sitting with its other toy "friends", etc.

Yes, I know that Jaycee's kids are older, BUT. . . it's not really a feeling that we ever lose, is it . . .

I am wondering about the abandoned panda we see in the new photos shown in the link here, the teddy bear on the trampoline, an abandoned tweety bird in the dirt http://extras.mercurynews.com/slideshows/news/2009/08/jaycee_dugard_0831/ which just was so poignant to me, etc.

What's going on with these stuffed animals? Do you think that they "belonged", if only for a short time, to other kidnapped children? That Jaycee or the girls rejected them as something to love?

Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing, but I think that the stuffed animals in the yard have some sort of significance, if even, sadly, signifying terribly hurt girls who cannot be comforted by something so simple . . .

I know what you mean. When I was maybe five or so I accidentally left Teddy out by my swing set overnight, and it rained. I cried so hard and felt so guilty that I'd "done" that do him. I'm in my 40s and still remember how I felt! That's why I understood Tom Hanks and the soccer ball in the movie Castaway. That scene really made me cry.

I personally noticed the "commercial hand washing liquid dispenser" mounted on the cabinet next to the sink FILLED with nasty dirty dishes.

they were obviously hoarders as well as just plain pigs. From the looks of the house - I'm willing to say they ALL slept out back in the tents - there was NO ROOM for even one body to lay down in that house.

It's possible that even if the police did not raid the house that they did place items on beds and other furniture just so they'd have room to walk safely. Maybe all of that stuff was on the floor before.

There is a great book called "Ghosty Men" about two famous hoarding brothers and the filth that led to their demise. Even they had paths!

I think it was based on the Collyer Brothers: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers[/ame]

There is a new novel based on their lives just out called Homer & Langley: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Homer-Langley-Novel-E-L-Doctorow/dp/1400064945"]Amazon.com: Homer & Langley: A Novel (9781400064946): E.L. Doctorow: Books[/ame]

For people who don't know... They were very rich and hoarded literally tons of junk, including an old car in their home. One brother was blind and the other took care of him. One day the sighted brother was killed when a huge stack of newspapers (he kept them to create a complete news source) fell on him. The other brother died later when no one came to care for him and he could not get out. They were rich, intelligent, and lived in a large home, yet still hoarded this way. It's a disorder just like anorexia or OCD or any number of problems. Not just laziness.

I think it was based on the Collyer Brothers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

There is a new novel based on their lives just out called Homer & Langley: Amazon.com: Homer & Langley: A Novel (9781400064946): E.L. Doctorow: Books

For people who don't know... They were very rich and hoarded literally tons of junk, including an old car in their home. One brother was blind and the other took care of him. One day the sighted brother was killed when a huge stack of newspapers (he kept them to create a complete news source) fell on him. The other brother died later when no one came to care for him and he could not get out. They were rich, intelligent, and lived in a large home, yet still hoarded this way. It's a disorder just like anorexia or OCD or any number of problems. Not just laziness.

I think these were the brothers who were very intelligent---genius level, IIRC. This mental illness can strike anyone, anywhere! The Collyer story is a very, very interesting one. The part about the car in the basement---and was there a collection of rubber balls? I need to re-read.

Hoarders normally do not hoard due to laziness or because they're just dirty people. They hoard because there is a mental process going on that will not let them part with things.

The pics of the outdoor areas seem to support that a hoarder lived there---I just don't know if it was Phillip, Nancy, his mother or who? The interior, to be honest, doesn't look like a hoarding situation to me. It looks to me like things were moved out of closets and cabinets during the search and nothing was replaced. There just isn't enough stuff in the house to make me believe all that stuff was left lying around like that by the Garridos. We see partically empty storage spaces in the kitchen, while the dishes are piled to the ceiling. I think those dishes may have filled those spaces! (Just my opinion, not trying to defend the monsters.)

On my monitor the drawing looks like it says ANGEL.

Yeah, how could the PO miss any one of these things???

Yes I noticed that too it really jumped out at me. Amongst this pile of rubbish is what does appear to be a child's art work, which makes this even more heart breaking. :(

This is not a socioeconomic issue. Recently, they had a movie about Jackie Kennedy's aunt and cousin that lived it squalor. It was based on a documentary about the two and a history about their lives.

In the fall of 1971 and throughout 1972, their living conditions—their house was infested by fleas, inhabited by numerous cats and raccoons, deprived of running water, and filled with garbage and decay—were exposed as the result of an article in the National Enquirer and a cover story in New York Magazine[3] after a series of inspections (which the Beales called "raids") by the Suffolk County Health Department. With the Beale women facing eviction and the razing of their home, in the summer of 1972 Jacqueline Onassis and her sister Lee Radziwill provided the necessary funds to stabilize and repair the dilapidated house so that it would meet Village codes.

source: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens[/ame]

Once upon a time, someone cared for the Garrido home. The furnishings are dated, but they were stylish in their day, undoubtedly, when Garrido's mother had her health and took care of herself and her house. This clutter and disarray took time to collect. Truthfully, I have seen pictures of much worse. The fact Jaycee was forced to live like this -- and in the backyard, at that -- is just one more depravity she had to endure.

I don't really know how to express what I've been thinking about, but I'll TRY.

I've been really struck by the "abandoned" stuffed animals in the photographs, and this was brought home by the panda in these photos.

From what I've experienced in my life, children often give their stuffed animals human characteristics - - they don't want them to get cold, feel pain, be lonely. Thus, a child will take care of a stuffed animal, tucking it into bed, making sure it's sitting with its other toy "friends", etc.

Yes, I know that Jaycee's kids are older, BUT. . . it's not really a feeling that we ever lose, is it . . .

I am wondering about the abandoned panda we see in the new photos shown in the link here, the teddy bear on the trampoline, an abandoned tweety bird in the dirt http://extras.mercurynews.com/slideshows/news/2009/08/jaycee_dugard_0831/ which just was so poignant to me, etc.

What's going on with these stuffed animals? Do you think that they "belonged", if only for a short time, to other kidnapped children? That Jaycee or the girls rejected them as something to love?

Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing, but I think that the stuffed animals in the yard have some sort of significance, if even, sadly, signifying terribly hurt girls who cannot be comforted by something so simple . . .
Maybe I am just a practical thinker, but I imagine that the LE agency that took the girl from the station
when PG & NG were arrested and got them prepared to go home to JCs Mom would have asked them;
"Is there anything you want from that house? to take along?" I just assume that would be a protocol.
But what do I know? Other than it just makes sense, since the girls were removed from what is familiar.
I think it would be important to ask that question. LE did a lousy job regarding these girls for 18 years.

I used to do counseling; It would be an important question IMO, but maybe this is very different.

I think it was based on the Collyer Brothers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

There is a new novel based on their lives just out called Homer & Langley: Amazon.com: Homer & Langley: A Novel (9781400064946): E.L. Doctorow: Books

Yes, those are they guys I was talking about, thank you for being so much less lazy than me and adding all this info:) :dance:

Maybe I am just a practical thinker, but I imagine that the LE agency that took the girl from the station
when PG & NG were arrested and got them prepared to go home to JCs Mom would have asked them;
"Is there anything you want from that house? to take along?" I just assume that would be a protocol.
But what do I know? Other than it just makes sense, since the girls were removed from what is familiar.
I think it would be important to ask that question. LE did a lousy job regarding these girls for 18 years.

I used to do counseling; It would be an important question IMO, but maybe this is very different.

bbm
This situation may go beyond any previously defined protocol, I reckon.

I don't think victims get to take anything with them from a suspected crime scene. When a child is taken into care, they are not allowed to pack a suitcase, take a toy, or any of their personal belongings. I don't think Jaycee or the girls got to go back and retrieve anything including all their pets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back