Jaycee's Girls

Natal--You are correct in that I am making an assumption that the younger girls might have been abused in some fashion. I apologize as I shouldn't make that leap.

My point, however, is that testimony must be preserved and I've learned that the justice system rarely concerns itself with the victims' well-being. Trial preparation is brutal. In my experience, very few concessions are made because of a victims' fear or discomfort. Thank goodness we have victims' advocates and advocacy groups. Our family would have perished without them. Their goal, though, is to preserve the victims' rights--not follow best practice for mental health and healing while awaiting a trial. This is where one would think that a family could step in. My experience was that our family had our hands tied behind our backs and were prohibited from offering the solace our kids desperately needed.

Our older children who were not victims, our friends, extended family, and teachers were not permitted to allow our children who were victims to speak of the abuse until the trial was over. The school actually had educational aids follow and supervise our children so this didn't happen.

We know that Jaycee is an abuse survivor. I think we all agree that her healing needs to begin. I'm really just trying to dispel any thoughts that the girls and Jaycee and the parents can speak freely and share their experiences. I wish I was wrong!! I know this part of the criminal process just floored me as I felt that my children needed to talk.

Thank you for calling me out on that assumption.

i was never sexually abused or went thru any of the stuff jaycee has endured. but i do know what it's like to be mentally beaten down and be made to think your life is totally dependent on someonelse and that your worthless without them. i was never able to talk to anybody about it cause i was scared and i thought it made me look weak. like i said in my other posts, my mom and my gramps ment the world to me. sadly i had another 'adult' parent who deighted in tormenting me and beating me down. i could never talk about it. not till 10 years after she was dead, and after my gramps was dead. my mom was stunned. she never knew it was that bad and wondered why i never came to her about it. its just something that i couldnt do......and it took years of self recovery and someone coming into my life to find my way to open up about it. i can only imagine how hard it will be for jaycee to discuss what happened to her, which was 100000 times worse. but i know she can do it. she's so strong to have gotten this far.........

From a press conference with Jaycee's aunt Tina http://www.usposttoday.com/jaycee-lee-dugard-new-photos-released/

So, she watched Enchanted AFTER the reunion with her family.

While in captivity, Jaycee was able to teach her girls to read and write. Dugard said she's not sure how, although photos of the compound show the three had access to books.

"They are educated and bright," she said of Jaycee's children, whose names have been reported as Starlet, 15, and Angel, 11. Dugard would not comment on whether those names are accurate.

"It's clear they've been on the Internet and know a lot of things," Dugard said. "It's clear that Jaycee did a great job with the limited resources she had and her limited education

Above from the Orange County Register press conference with Tina Dugard.

<snipped>
Scott said Jaycee and her girls have been getting medical and psychological treatment from day one after leaving the Garridos house and yard where Jaycee spent most of her life and her daughters spent all of theirs."The girls are getting tutoring and Jaycee's observing," said Scott. "You have to remember Jaycee only has a 5th grade formal education. She very much has a brain she wants to develop."Scott said Jaycee and her family remain in seclusion while he tries to get the daughters’ birth certificates and keep tabloids away.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/21143884/detail.html

<snipped>
Scott said Jaycee and her girls have been getting medical and psychological treatment from day one after leaving the Garridos house and yard where Jaycee spent most of her life and her daughters spent all of theirs."The girls are getting tutoring and Jaycee's observing," said Scott. "You have to remember Jaycee only has a 5th grade formal education. She very much has a brain she wants to develop."Scott said Jaycee and her family remain in seclusion while he tries to get the daughters’ birth certificates and keep tabloids away.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/21143884/detail.html

thanks for these updates linas!
but i hope jaycee is getting tutoring too

I've tried to check out all the threads here on Jaycee's forum and I noticed you guys sure are organized. Haha. Anyway, I felt this is the best one to post a topic I'd like to see discussed amongst us. It's something I've thought about over the past couple days and I see pros and cons to either side. I don't know if it's been discussed in depth before and I'd like to see your opinions. If it has been, could someone direct me to that area?

Anyways, the topic is whether or not Jaycee told her girls what was up during the 15 & 11 years of their lives. Did she tell them, "Look, when I was 11 I was kidnapped by these people and we're being held hostage back here" or did she let them believe everything was quite normal so as to not have them frightened? I suppose that with their entire lives being cooped up it could be fairly easy to have them convinced that, even though their lives weren't like everyone elses, maybe some others were they same.

What do you guys think?

I've tried to check out all the threads here on Jaycee's forum and I noticed you guys sure are organized. Haha. Anyway, I felt this is the best one to post a topic I'd like to see discussed amongst us. It's something I've thought about over the past couple days and I see pros and cons to either side. I don't know if it's been discussed in depth before and I'd like to see your opinions. If it has been, could someone direct me to that area?

Anyways, the topic is whether or not Jaycee told her girls what was up during the 15 & 11 years of their lives. Did she tell them, "Look, when I was 11 I was kidnapped by these people and we're being held hostage back here" or did she let them believe everything was quite normal so as to not have them frightened? I suppose that with their entire lives being cooped up it could be fairly easy to have them convinced that, even though their lives weren't like everyone elses, maybe some others were they same.

What do you guys think?

it has been confirmed that jaycee wasnt allowed to tell them this. she told them herself after they were resucued. (not sure what date on or around it happened).

I know there have been some studies of children that have been born out of Rape situations.
I wonder if anyone here has ever read up on that?
Because their healing will be very different from JC's process.
Often times the self esteem process is tough because it is connected to a subconscious thought of "if they were born out of the result of such an act, how can they be worth anything"...They also cary guilt for their Mom because they are "Children of bad memories"
I think that will be the hardest hurdles for the girls that along with separation and attachment to such a man.
while we do not know how, when, or even if this therapy will be successful. I still worry for those girls.
For now all we do know is they are intelligent and up to their grad level in studies and are being home schooled.
The Hoses is part of the therapy to cultivate their love...and they do love animals, just like their mom.
I know I keep on saying one day at a time....and keep on wishing them only good things. But I do worry for them.

I know there have been some studies of children that have been born out of Rape situations.
I wonder if anyone here has ever read up on that?
Because their healing will be very different from JC's process.
Often times the self esteem process is tough because it is connected to a subconscious thought of "if they were born out of the result of such an act, how can they be worth anything"...
I think that will be one of the hardest hurdles for the girls that along with separation and attachment to such a man.
while we do not know how, when, or even if this therapy will be successful. I still worry for those girls.
For now all we do know is they are intelligent and up to their grad level in studies and are being home schooled.
The Hoses is part of the therapy to cultivate their love...and they do love animals, just like their mom.
I know I keep on saying one day at a time....and keep on wishing them only good things. But I do worry for them.

i too worry more about her girls then about jaycee herself.
then i remember who there mom and grandmom is and i smile. it's gonna take a lot of work but the therapy combined with there real family, is gonna make the diffrence for them.

i too worry more about her girls then about jaycee herself.
then i remember who there mom and grandmom is and i smile. it's gonna take a lot of work but the therapy combined with there real family, is gonna make the diffrence for them.

You are 100% correct kbl.
How did you get so smart as a young person you amaze me sometimes.
But then there is also a subconscious mind, and some stuff does not show up till someone is well in their 30's ++.

You are 100% correct kbl.
How did you get so smart as a young person you amaze me sometimes.
But then there is also a subconscious mind, and some stuff does not show up till someone is well in their 30's ++.

i guess my own personal experiences shape my mindset.
as for not showing up in the 30's i thinkk they were have continued support/therapy in case stuff like that pops up.

it has been confirmed that jaycee wasnt allowed to tell them this. she told them herself after they were resucued. (not sure what date on or around it happened).

Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I was looking for. Curiosity got the best of me I guess.

I was thinking about religion. Certainly the girls were brought up with it, although it was Garridos twisted and mutilated version. In times of stress and change religion often helps people get through the hard times, and in that respect I would think that some religious counseling from a pastor or something might be helpful to these young women, in coming to terms with how their lives have changed so drastically. If they are familiar with the basics of Christianity then the basic ideas of forgiveness and of a loving God might be a good thing for them in order to realize that Garridos with his apparent Messiah complex is not the center of a spiritual life for them, that they can have a spiritual life and faith that will eventually bring them around to realize he does not have control or judgement over them. I just wonder if that would help with the guilt of them worrying about Jaycee or about the Garridos.

I was thinking about religion. Certainly the girls were brought up with it, although it was Garridos twisted and mutilated version. In times of stress and change religion often helps people get through the hard times, and in that respect I would think that some religious counseling from a pastor or something might be helpful to these young women, in coming to terms with how their lives have changed so drastically. If they are familiar with the basics of Christianity then the basic ideas of forgiveness and of a loving God might be a good thing for them in order to realize that Garridos with his apparent Messiah complex is not the center of a spiritual life for them, that they can have a spiritual life and faith that will eventually bring them around to realize he does not have control or judgement over them. I just wonder if that would help with the guilt of them worrying about Jaycee or about the Garridos.

curious. what did you mean 'worryin about jaycee"?

What do you guys think?

Jaycee's girls had no knowledge of Jaycees's kidnap, imprisonment and sexual abuse. At some time on the day Jaycee and her mother were reunited the girls were crying after learning that their father, Garrido, had been taken to prison the day before. Jaycee had no choice but to tell the distressed girls about her kidnap and imprisonment and why their father was arrested. The details about her abuse and Garrido's sordid history have been kept from them and what they see on TV and in papers is filtered. Jaycee and her mother think the girls can learn this over time rather than have to confront everything all at this time. After all, knowing their origins will be hard to deal with and the younger girl is just 11. My guess is the elder girl will already be adding two and two together and coming up with the sad answer. They will need much love and acceptance from their new family. I'm sure they will get it.

Jaycee's girls had no knowledge of Jaycees's kidnap, imprisonment and sexual abuse. At some time on the day Jaycee and her mother were reunited the girls were crying after learning that their father, Garrido, had been taken to prison the day before. Jaycee had no choice but to tell the distressed girls about her kidnap and imprisonment and why their father was arrested. The details about her abuse and Garrido's sordid history have been kept from them and what they see on TV and in papers is filtered. Jaycee and her mother think the girls can learn this over time rather than have to confront everything all at this time. After all, knowing their origins will be hard to deal with and the younger girl is just 11. My guess is the elder girl will already be adding two and two together and coming up with the sad answer. They will need much love and acceptance from their new family. I'm sure they will get it.

she also told them she's there mother unless im mistaken

I remember when the news media printed that the girls had been told by Jaycee about their parentage and some of what transpired. I was saddened by the fact that they had to face it that soon, but happy that it meant the acceptance and healing of the truth could begin!!!

I remember when the news media printed that the girls had been told by Jaycee about their parentage and some of what transpired. I was saddened by the fact that they had to face it that soon, but happy that it meant the acceptance and healing of the truth could begin!!!

as tough as it was for them to hear it must have been as bad fo jayce to have to tell them. more strength from someone who posseses so much.

Yes. When I said "knowing their origins" I should have said knowing the circumstance of their origins. Namely, rape.

my point is, they have probably already done the math and figured out how old there mom was when she had them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back