FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear that Nancy Grace producers read this forum. I'm convinced that they have been reading here since Caylee Anthony case. JMO of course.

Hi WillenFan, I believe going back to the Scott Peterson case where it was widely talked about. xox

I think some of stuff that was blacked out was based on HIPPA Laws (do I have that right?). NurseBee or NurseLady might be able to better address that concern.

Salem
HIPAA Health Information Portability & Accountability Act
(Otherwise known as the "Privacy Act")
We used to call it the HIPAA-potomus act. (It's very unwieldy).

Hahaha. Good ole' Nancy. Always riding on WSers coat tails. :laugh:

ETA: I REALLY wish reporters would quit saying Paul is SB's son, considering she is the main suspect in his disappearance, was convicted of abusing his sister, and is NOT his mother.

BBM

ME TOO! I emailed Heather Kretzer at WMBB to have her correct that and she did. She emailed me back and told me she would have to confirm that Susan is not Paul's mom and then I got a second email quickly stating that it was confirmed and changed.

http://www.panhandleparade.com/inde...lds_babysitter_missing_since_1987/mbb7719693/

CORRECTED:
News 13 has learned that the step-son of Susan Baker, 50, the reported babysitter for missing Shannon Dedrick, was reported missing more than 20 years ago.

Can someone contact NG and let her know that Paul is the step-son of Susan Baker?

Quoting my own post here because on further thought, the mention of the mother having ADHD and Bi-Polar Disorder, in a publicly released report would also be a violation of Federal HIPAA laws. I know nothing about the laws reguarding these types of reports, as other posters do. But I have to agree with them that it's boggling this report has been publicly released.

It would not be a violation if it was just an allegation by whoever was trying to report neglect and abuse, etc. From what I read in that report, it was just allegations..not actual diagnoses by a doctor.

Could something have happened by accident and the parents panicked maybe? I don't see how anyone can come into a home in the middle of the night and nobody hear anything. Of course we know it does happen, Jessica L. and they had a dog, Haliegh C. and Coral Rose F. I hear the slightest things at night and my dog certainly let us know of any sounds we don't hear. Just sad and very strange. I hope the baby is ok.
I keep thinking she did that all the time, and perhaps the parents got used to it? For that matter, do we know for certain that this is the first time she's taken Shannon?
~oh, shudder!~

Technically the only way that report from DCF could be released was if the parent released it, or the child is not alive. Dear God I hope not. The confidentiality laws in Florida are very strict. They may be trying to get a warrant to search
SB's home/property. IMO

Still holding out hope for Shannon.
Even if the report was able to be released due to Shannon being deceased, there are still federal HIPAA violations in releasing some of that info about the mothers mental health conditions. Those either should have been blacked out too, or else the parents signed a legal authorization to release that info. The only other option is that someone just made a HUGE legal boo-boo by releasing that info.

If the parents (specifically mother) did not authorize release of that info, she should press charges, IMO.

From the report....tried to contact neighbor...phone busy. How many times?? Was there an attempt to contact in person??

Is it possible that baby Shannon's parents were unknowingly drugged the night before she disappeared, making them sleep very deeply so the perp could act without awakening them??

Interesting possibility, and very plausible given what we know about SB's history -- if she'd beat a little girl badly enough to break bones, she's capable of drugging someone to get what she wants. From the DCF report, it appears that Tina's and Rusty's voluntary drug had been closely monitored for quite a while, and didn't involve anything stronger than marijuana. So if drugs were in their system that prevented them from having a normal level of alertness overnight, it would probably have been something given to them by somebody else. SB had spent enough time in the home that she probably knew their habits well enough to sneak drugs into something she knew they'd consume before going to bed. Hopefully LE has pursued this possibility while processing evidence from the home.

If you have some sort of an antenna, and know the call numbers you should be able to pick chipley so, po and so, as well as other odd places. carry the scanner outside lol.

I just gave my scanner away a few weeks ago, I dont know anyone or anything here so I gave it away. ack@@

I dont think you can pick up the state patrol, I think they are using a new type of radio now.

what is a feed?

I am talking about scanner that you can hear them talking back and forth. new numbers have been out so you might need to write them down as they call them out, and look them up later. I dont remember any of them any more.

orb - we've been keeping an 'ear' on Putnam County (HaLeigh Cummings case) via online scanner feed:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=369

There is a *lot* to hear going on in PC -- sometimes we hear stuff related to the "who's who" of the case.

Both of these parents are unemployed. Why did they need a babysitter? Lots of stuff about mom completing drug councilling...what about dad? And, where did they get the money to buy weed?

So who released it to them, I wonder...hmm...

that's the really good question. I'm pretty sure that it either came from the parents, or from LE. But if LE released it, I am pretty sure it was an accident.

It would not be a violation if it was just an allegation by whoever was trying to report neglect and abuse, etc. From what I read in that report, it was just allegations..not actual diagnoses by a doctor.

Well, the report actually says that the mother informed them that she has those conditions. You might be correct and this may be a gray area with HIPAA. But I am not a Dr. nor do I work for an insurance company. I have simply worked with a collection company that focuses on HealthCare for 5 years.
My understanding is that even though I have nothing to do with the actual Dr's, hospitals, or care of these PT's, it would be a violation of HIPAA laws for me to even go home and tell my fiance that Joe Smith went in to be tested for Diabetes. Whether he was diagnosed with the condition or not.

Websleuther of the Month: EastCoast

Woo to the hoo! Way to go!

Well, the report actually says that the mother informed them that she has those conditions. You might be correct and this may be a gray area with HIPAA. But I am not a Dr. nor do I work for an insurance company. I have simply worked with a collection company that focuses on HealthCare for 5 years.
My understanding is that even though I have nothing to do with the actual Dr's, hospitals, or care of these PT's, it would be a violation of HIPAA laws for me to even go home and tell my fiance that Joe Smith went in to be tested for Diabetes. Whether he was diagnosed with the condition or not.

Correct, because you work with sensitive information that comes from sources such as hospitals, medical clinics and the like that are required by law to keep sensitive information confidential. However, a family member or someone making allegations is under no contract to keep that sort of information confidential..in other words, I believe it is just "he said, she said" type thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998